eBMWParts

Thread: Vogtland Junior Cup Kit Review - E36 318is

My Cars
    1996 318is

Vogtland Junior Cup Kit Review - E36 318is

I recently installed this kit, despite there being relatively few reviews, so I thought I would post some photos/initial impressions to help others make informed suspension purchase decisions.

First things first: DO NOT BOTHER WITH VOGTLAND'S ONLINE STORE. It is a german website and can be difficult to navigate, especially when dealing with all the variations of E36 chassis/engine combos. Instead, I recommend phoning/emailing Vogtland North America directly. I dealt with Leila and the order process was super easy. All in, the kit came to $589, with no taxes, and free 3-day UPS shipping. This is the best deal out there for anyone wanting a "name brand" suspension kit.

Packaging:
    Items were wrapped in copious amounts of bubble wrap and cardboard. Nothing was damaged, and all hardware/parts were included. The kit comes with top mounting nuts and washers. No bumpstops or dust covers included.

Kit:
    It's hard to find exact reference pictures of this kit, most of the online photos show a generic cup kit. This is not terribly important, but for those who really want to know what colour the shocks are, I can confirm that all 4 struts/shocks are painted in "Koni" yellow. If you were hoping for black, blue, purple, silver shock bodies, you will need to paint them yourself. The springs are traditional Vogtland purple and look quite nice in person.

Warranty:
    Vogtland guarantees the springs for a period of 10 years, and shocks for a period of 2 years. This provides good "peace of mind" for anyone leery of such an inexpensive kit.

Install:
    Install went as planned. No nasty surprises along the way. The front struts are OEM style, and feature all the correct mounting tabs for the brake lines and sensors. That said, anyone who enjoys doing suspension work is crazy. It's dirty, awkward, and requires lots of torque. A lift would be really nice. Thankfully I had a nice cordless IR impact at my disposal. Made cracking those strut mounting bolts a breeze.

Drive:
    Nice. I was coming from blown OEM shocks and H&R race springs, so it's not a fair comparison, but I can say that in comparison to my friend's E46 with fresh OEM shocks, the ride feels very similar, though slightly stiffer, and with less initial body roll. The springs aren't overly firm and the shocks aren't overly stiff, but provide a very nice balance of comfort and performance. The car is definitely more aggressive and provides greater feedback, even with 15" winter tires, but if I was planning to build a track car, I might opt for a stiffer damper like Bilstein sports. Still, this kit should work well for "spirited" daily driving and the occasional autocross session. And, because it's not a coilover setup, like FK, Raceland, Rokkor, etc., there is always the option of upgrading the shocks in the future, should plans change.

Look:
    This is going to be determined by personal preference, but I was looking for a kit that had a more aggressive look, while still offering me the necessary ride height to navigate some of the uneven parking lots I encounter on a daily basis. I wanted the car to have somewhat of a "raked" look, since the race springs I had previously, dropped the rear much lower than I wanted. Also, when dealing with lowering springs, it can be difficult to find kits that are specifically designed for the 4-cylinder cars, and the 6-cylinder kits tend to leave the nose sitting somewhat higher than desired. Fortunately, Vogtland offers kits specifically designed for the 4 and 6 cylinder cars. I am happy with the way the kit looks. It's 40mm/20mm kit, though they also offer a 50/30 lowering for those wanting moar low.

Pics:

Last edited by myelinsheath; 02-03-2014 at 04:44 PM.

My Cars
    1996 318is
    I've been riding on this setup for 3 weeks now and I'm quite impressed with the ride quality. Not as stiff as the H&R coilovers I had on my last car, but just about perfect for daily driving. Ride is well damped and very dynamic. You feel road imperfections, but aren't jarred by them. Definitely recommend this kit for anyone looking for lower and sportier on a budget.

My Cars
    76 2002, 82 e21, 83 e21
    I know this is an old post...However, I am looking for the same sort of balanced daily/sprinted driving suspension setup.

Does anyone have these springs installed on their e36, specifically the 318is coupe?

Also, does anyone have the "Weitec Kit" Suspension installed?

I called many sellers about spring packages and they have a kit for sale, BUT whe we get to the e36 4-cyl vs 6-cyl needs they always say..."It will work."...of course it will! I'm not sure if they are just trying to make a sale, or they are unaware of the weight differences. Okay, I am through ditching.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to pass on about these two manufacturers.
    Last edited by SilverPuddle; 01-16-2023 at 05:01 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Are you asking about springs, or a complete suspension? The OP posted about a complete Vogtland suspension system.

What is on your car now?

My Cars
    76 2002, 82 e21, 83 e21
    Quote Originally Posted by RBNetEngr View Post
    Are you asking about springs, or a complete suspension? The OP posted about a complete Vogtland suspension system.

What is on your car now?
    94 318is coupe and the shocks and springs are stock.

I'm looking for a slightly lowering spring setup with dampers.

My Cars
    76 2002, 82 e21, 83 e21
    I am waiting to hear back from Vogtland supplier...anyone used these springs and shock setup?

https://www.vogtland-na.com/us/en/pr...n-kits/960038/

My Cars
    76 2002, 82 e21, 83 e21
    I pulled the trigger today and ordered Vogtland suspension kit for my 318is. I like my stock stance if it were dropped by a smidge...therefore Vogtlands 40/20mm front/back drop.

I will post after I get them installed. I need them badly...Ifeel like I'm driving a small boat thru a wake most of the time.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I would be interested to hear what your experience is. Will you be doing the installation, or will a shop be installing them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    76 2002, 82 e21, 83 e21
    Quote Originally Posted by RBNetEngr View Post
    I would be interested to hear what your experience is. Will you be doing the installation, or will a shop be installing them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will be doing the installation.

I will be posting the before and after photos.

My Cars
    76 2002, 82 e21, 83 e21
    RBNetEngr ....I moved my post over to the general discussion area...

Following is the link -
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...0#post30867020