Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunroof will not open

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    So can we get Doug to make replicas of these now that they are so pricey?

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 COUPE 2.8
    I received mine earlier today. Well its past midnight so earlier yesterday. I, too, ordered mine early for around $200 from BMW of South Atlanta.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 COUPE 2.8
    Guys, what do you all recommend for a new headliner fabric? I'm thinking Suede.

My Cars
    z3
    What exactly are these sunroof bits? I have a buddy who just bought a CNC machine, if Doug doesn't want to make any more of these perhaps I could get my buddy to help. Anyone have a picture, are these something that can be CNC'd?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2santiago View Post
    I'm going genuine Alcantara on mine - the stuff BMW uses on the newer M's and luxury models

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 COUPE 2.8
    Where can I get the fabric? I tried Ebay but there's a lot of imitation fabric.

My Cars
    z3
    I bought a few yards from these guys a few years ago and will be placing a new order through them soon:
    http://www.gulffabrics.com/alccolor.htm

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2000 M coupe
    I also ordered the sunroof kinematics back in February after reading this thread. And they are finally here!
    I ordered mine from eEuroparts and paid $202 USD. They are now listed at $650

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 COUPE 2.8
    We were lucky. For sure 😊

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 COUPE 2.8
    Gulf Fabrics is the only website that seems legit. Glad we are looking to buy from the same website. I am trying to match, as close as possible, my beige interior.
    @Blackxs, looking at the shades on the website, which one would you recommend?

My Cars
    z3
    9002 is OEM used in most BMWs, E39 M5 Alcantara headliner is 9002 and other "dark gray" headliners are that color as well. Dark headliners look good in any color interior and very sporty. I would avoid matching the beige with the headliner. Only the luxury models do that, it gives it a luxury feel, but these are not really luxury cars.

Otherwise they will usually send you samples if requested, though they have been a little tough to work with this time around.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    What exactly are these sunroof bits? I have a buddy who just bought a CNC machine, if Doug doesn't want to make any more of these perhaps I could get my buddy to help. Anyone have a picture, are these something that can be CNC'd?
    It's a "unit" with several parts that move within. I'll take a pic this afternoon.

- - - Updated - - -

I received mine earlier today. Well its past midnight so earlier yesterday. I, too, ordered mine early for around $200 from BMW of South Atlanta.
    It was a huge relief, wasn't it? Hell bent on not paying the $700, I have been searching for wrecked cars for months.

2000 Z3 M Coupe

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Now I know not to open my sunroof. And if I do want to I'll drive the roadster :P

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Despite functioning, I haven't opened my sunroof in years. Other than the added light in the cabin, it doesn't do a whole lot, IMHO.
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    z3
    I just opened the roof on my Coupe for the first time and it opens extremely slowly... is this a common problem or normal behaviour? Perhaps the motor going out or something? I'll look at it a bit more in-depth when I have the headliner out but just curious.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    I just opened the roof on my Coupe for the first time and it opens extremely slowly... is this a common problem or normal behaviour? Perhaps the motor going out or something? I'll look at it a bit more in-depth when I have the headliner out but just curious.
    Most likely the kinematics going, or gone. Tread lightly.
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    I pretty much leave mine open unless it looks like rain; I find that having it open improves the airflow through the car, although it is also noisier.

As far as being slow, they aren't real quick anyway. Mine takes a good 10 seconds to open an inch, which seems reasonable after you see how it is doing it.

Marty
    Last edited by MartyBtoo; 06-19-2014 at 04:49 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    Toucing on this again I got my samples for the 9002 today, definitely the right color. The sunroof fabric is 48" width at the most, so just order enough for the length of the car and a single piece will fit. I got sent a sample of seat and non-seating fabric. The non-seating is 59" and is what one would use for the headliner. Very nice stuff. The seating stuff has a backing to it but I don't think you would need that for the headliner.

Anyone with minor upholstery experience should be able to DIY the headliner reupholstering job, just make sure not to use too much glue (let it set to a "tack" before applying the fabric). The humps for the speakers will probably be the hardest part, I would start there. It is also very cheap to bring the headliner already removed from the car and have them apply it, ~$200 maybe less. I'm about to drop a pretty penny on this stuff as I am considering covering the plastics in the trunk with this stuff too since mine have some scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Most likely the kinematics going, or gone. Tread lightly.
    Last edited by blackxs; 06-19-2014 at 06:05 PM. Reason: millions of typos

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    I like to pop the top when the girl is in the car and doesn't want her window down to keep down the "thumping" from the vorticies due to my window down. It is also a nice air flow when a window is too much, I am very "back and forth" about getting rid of it.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 COUPE 2.8
    @Motorsport3 It was definitely a relief. I started to worry when I heard ppl mentioning the updated price.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 COUPE 2.8
    @blackxs I received my Alcantara yesterday. Thanks again for the advice 👍😁

My Cars
    z3
    @blackxs I received my Alcantara yesterday. Thanks again for the advice 
    Happy to help. A lot of people go generic seude as it is much cheaper but for what it is, I dont think the "real" Alcantara is pricey and the real stuff looks fantastic Goes without saying but post some pics when you get it all installed! I need to get my headliner ripped out to get started on this myself - give me some motivation

Did you go with the "seating" backed stuff? Will you be applying a thin layer of foam on the headliner? The stock one has a thin layer of foam so I am thinking I will replicate that. I like the soft touch to it (we should probably take this discussion out of this thread though... lol)

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 COUPE 2.8
    Lol. As soon as I get it off and take pics, I will start another thread. I purchased the non seating stuff. I am debating on whether or not to do the thin layer of foam.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorsport3 View Post
    I can't believe it. It's done and I will have brand new sunroof kinematics today. Because I placed my order on 2/9/14, Get BMW parts.com honored the price of $191.54 + 15.90 S&H = $207.44!!!

Current price of kinematics... $652.78 http://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/200...t=Slide%20assy
    I'm in the same boat, but worse! That part is now $1,000 does anyone have a suggestion?
    https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fuse...2DSLIDE%2DASSY

My Cars
    2001 z3 mcoupe,
    96C938E9-6E1C-4554-86A4-66AAB814D2C7.jpgI had new sliders machined they work perfectly I can get more if anyone needs them
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Benm75; 09-17-2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Copyright

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Ben,

You messaged me earlier. What is the cost? I couldn't join the UK group since I'm stateside :P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12