Thread: Trailing arm suspension bushings - options? Normal vs eccentric?

My Cars
    Z4

Trailing arm suspension bushings - options? Normal vs eccentric?

Hello,

For my z3 I need to replace the suspension bushings...and I'm running into two options:

Set rubber mounting eccentric
    i 33 32 9 058 822 D=30MM
    2 0.5 lb
    $19.14
    Set rubber mounting
    i 33 32 9 061 945 D=30MM
    2 0.5 lb
    $19.14

Can somebody give me the quick info on what the differences are? I don't know what's on the car at the moment.

Thanks.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    put the 945s on

My Cars
    Z4
    Thanks so much...is there a link or place that explains the difference for my education?

My Cars
    Z4
    Upon doing some research I found this for the explanation:

http://www.rtsauto.com/e30-control-a...-arm-bushings/

"An offset bushing increases the wheel caster (pushes the wheel more forward in the wheel well) which aids in high speed stability, however the down side is that it also increases steering effort and has a tendency to want to return to center. Centered bushings at lower speeds are beneficial because they allow for more precise steering and “flick-ability”, but lose out on the high speed stability. As such there is no real winner, its a matter of choice."

But how does this apply to the trailing arm bushings since there is no steering/etc. to consider there?

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    The eccentrics exist as a way to correct the rear alignment in the case of something bent. The weld-on kits are a better way as they are adjustable. Don't bother unless you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I like the unicorns.
    '99 Z3 Coupe - Jet Black/Black (1-of-114)
    '99 M Coupe - Estoril Blue/Black (1-of-82)
    '03 540iT - Sterling Gray/Black (1-of-24)
    '16 Z4 sDrive35i - Estoril Blue/Walnut (1-of-8)

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi
    Quote Originally Posted by dantm View Post
    Upon doing some research I found this for the explanation:

http://www.rtsauto.com/e30-control-a...-arm-bushings/

"An offset bushing increases the wheel caster (pushes the wheel more forward in the wheel well) which aids in high speed stability, however the down side is that it also increases steering effort and has a tendency to want to return to center. Centered bushings at lower speeds are beneficial because they allow for more precise steering and “flick-ability”, but lose out on the high speed stability. As such there is no real winner, its a matter of choice."

But how does this apply to the trailing arm bushings since there is no steering/etc. to consider there?
    Nothing to do with the rear trailing arm bushings...

My Cars
    clk550, C300, 2K M rdstr
    My understanding is that eccentric bushings are available to allow correction of minor rear alignment problems.
    My understanding also is that replacement of trailing arms and bushings is very, very, expensive because of the labor involved. Rear subframe needs to be removed??
    Please let us know how this all turns out.
    Good luck.

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    I'd like to suggest this tool to you. https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...-e36-318ti-z3/
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    I made the tool from 2 1/2" 6" long steel pipe, 1' of 3/8 all thread, two 3/8 coupler nuts, and some big washers for a total of like $10.

My Cars
    Z4
    Thanks guys...

Turns out my mechanic was able to (a) get out the arms without dropping the subframe - his comment was that it was very tight but no problem....and (b) get and replace the bushings.

We found the offset ones in there so we put back the same. The car is modified with a lowered suspension/etc.

Quick question -- is an alignment recommended after such a change? My thought would be no but I am mostly wrong.

Thanks

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    No alignment needed as the rear is non adjustable (except as may be achieved with eccentric bushings, of course).

My Cars
    clk550, C300, 2K M rdstr
    Quote Originally Posted by dantm View Post
    Thanks guys...

Turns out my mechanic was able to (a) get out the arms without dropping the subframe - his comment was that it was very tight but no problem....and (b) get and replace the bushings.

We found the offset ones in there so we put back the same. The car is modified with a lowered suspension/etc.

Quick question -- is an alignment recommended after such a change? My thought would be no but I am mostly wrong.

Thanks
    Thanks for the update - good news.

My Cars
    z3
    I would do an alignment personally. Your rear is adjustable due to the eccentric bushings and you removed/replaced stuff in the rear suspension so things may have shifted

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I would do an alignment personally. Your rear is adjustable due to the eccentric bushings and you removed/replaced stuff in the rear suspension so things may have shifted
    +1 If you have the eccentric bushings ...you need an alignment

Just did mine today. Camber was -2.6 on both sides, but toe was -.34 and +.65 .....