Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: M50 turbo project finsihed

My Cars
    Turbo E36, V8 E39

M50 turbo project finsihed

I didn't start a build thread because I wanted to finish it all before I shared. the build took me a year due to only having one day off a week and some of those days being cut short due to errands dentist appts etc. My car was at a buddy's shop and I was working in between shop hours so that meant no lift, but a jack and jack stands and hand tools, but hey I did it. I started off with a stage 2 AA C30 s/c kit pushing 10psi making 280whp but only 220wtq with stock exhaust manifolds not cats and a bosal brospeed cat-back. I wanted more power but was on a budget. Sold the kit for $1700 and was planning on using the s/c tune so no need to spend more money on a tune. I know, what was I thinking. After extensive research and talks with AA I knew that wasn't gonna end well for my build, so I figured id worry about the tune later just go on with the build. Ebay build its gonna be, because I wanna prove done right, a cheap build will last. I found a fastwayracer kit on ebay that came with everything I would need with gauges, intercooler, piping, turbo feed and return lines, catch can, turbo timer, godspeed wastegate, dump tube, hks BOV, adjustable fpr, and best of all a TURBONETICS T3/T4 t04E turbo with a 2 year warranty, that they honor as soon as the build is complete. it cost me $1100. So now I have $600 to spare. I spent that in 3" flowmaster mandrel bent exhaust piping, 3'' performance CAT, 3" flex pipe, and a $70 spa bottom mount manifold. I start on the build, quickly to realize I didn't want to blow my motor with boost creep from an ebay wastegate and I want to go top mount because I was running into fitment issues. I sold the godspeed wastegate and bought a turbonetics 38mm wastegate. I bought a CX racing top mount manifold. I sold the ebay kit turbo lines and bought new lines from cavalier hose. I sold the small new intercooler and bought a used larger intercooler for half of what I sold the small one for. I sold the ebay fpr. I used ebay for couplers, but bought t-clamps from a reputable tractor supplier company called Kennedy's. I used 12 n54 exhaust bolts from a blown engine sitting in the shop for those hard to reach exhaust spots on the manifold. I finished the mock up and decided to go with the miller performance tuning package so that I could do tuning myself and get remote tuning help if I needed it. I got it for $1000. Long story short, total cost of this build was $3390, but after selling the s/c I paid a total of 1690 out of pocket. Only because I didn't want to use cheap ebay items, otherwise it could've cost way less, but maybe cost me more in the long run. My goal was to spend $2000 or less, and since I did all the work myself, with the help of my buddies here and there with welding, my goal was accomplished. I wouldn't call this a budget build, but being under $3500 total is pretty good using reputable parts with a very good tuning source. have to redo the exhaust due to ground clearance issues but no biggie just a couple cuts and welds.

pics i took along the way. check my instagram for more pic if interested. usherboy83

Last edited by usherboy83; 12-13-2021 at 01:54 AM.

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    well, have you driven it? have you figured out the tuning yet?

m3mods is offline Boost Addict BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    AC Schnitzer S3 CLS
    Sweet build looks good

$70 for a spa manifold is a killer deal I hope you flipped that for a decent profit

My Cars
    E36
    Nice, did you use the 2.5 or 3" DP with that manifold?

Looks good!

My Cars
    Turbo E36, V8 E39
    i have driven it, its only pushing 6lbs at the moment and 10.2 afr under wot/boost, so im messing with acceleration values and fuel at wot just till I can get on a dyno. I only used the cx racing top mount manifold and my downpipe is half 2.5" and half 3" due to fitment and because I didn't have access to a pipe bender or the know how to section exhaust and weld to make look good. I bought the spa manifold from a guy whose son was going boost but wrecked his car and it was just taking up space still in the box in his garage. It is still in my possession because I have a buddy trying to go turbo this year but he agreed to pay $150 for it. Currently have to redo the exhaust as it hangs a little low where it comes from the dp to the cat. my buddy rode with me to test drive and a friend following said it was throwing sparks. shouldn't be too much of a problem though.

My Cars
    E36
    Awesome dude,hopefully more and more people see that it isn't some black art to turbo'ing BMWs. Hit up a dyno so we can see what she's putting down!

My Cars
    Turbo E36, V8 E39
    Keep having my icv hose pop out the back of the intake under boost, so I have to figure how to "rig" that, but I should be doing exhaust tonight if I can make it to the shop thru all this snow easten nc was unprepared for and got dumped with. Also have to install my megan racing motor mounts since my stock m3 ones rock a little

Sent from my SPH-D710 using BF.com

My Cars
    AC Schnitzer S3 CLS
    epoxy that biatch

My Cars
    325i
    Quote Originally Posted by m3mods View Post
    Sweet build looks good

$70 for a spa manifold is a killer deal I hope you flipped that for a decent profit
    Good job on getting the turbo project done.

Having owned two Spa manifolds, the picture above is not of a Spa manifolds. I hope the Spa that you have is not what is pictured above.
    Last edited by M3poseur; 01-30-2014 at 08:20 PM.
    Fast lookin' but slow movin'
    237 rwhp N/A power

My Cars
    AC Schnitzer S3 CLS
    Quote Originally Posted by M3poseur View Post
    Good job on getting the turbo project done.

Having owned two Spa manifolds, the picture above is not of a Spa manifolds. I hope the Spa that you have is not what is pictured above.
    Never had one nor do I plan to. OP said it was a spa and i took his work for it. $70 for a spa would be a killer deal so it doesn't surprise me that it's not a genuine spa. That's good info for the OP though or at least for his friend that will end up with it

- - - Updated - - -

Btw I will change the sig

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    fitment issues? thats an understatement. the angle of the wastegate pipe is rediculous. impossible to relocate the waste gate. we almost impossible, couple guys have done it but its still rediculous. good choice in moving on from that one. your setup is almost identical to mine. How are you tuning it? Im running a 2.8 obd2 converted 1. it would be interesting to compare the numbers between the cars.
    Last edited by bry195; 01-30-2014 at 10:16 PM.

My Cars
    Turbo E36, V8 E39
    Was told the old manifold was a spa..whatever its close enough. The wastegate wasnt the only issue either. The manifold didnt sit flush on the head with the turbo attached and I had to have it attached off the car. But im using miller performance tuning with the war chip.

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    how are you coming on the tune? I hav probably 40 revisions of mine. allot of work to get it boosting at 2300 rpm had to shift the whole 5 psi knee point.

My Cars
    Turbo E36, V8 E39
    Haven't had time. This exhaust is the pressing issue right now so im not driving it until then. Should be done tomorrow

Last edited by usherboy83; 01-31-2014 at 06:46 PM.

My Cars
    Turbo E36, V8 E39
    well I wasn't able to fix the exhaust, but I did take it out to our city version of cars and coffee today, and for some reason before now it was only boosting 5 psi. I have a 7lb spring with 3 shims in the wastegate, so it should have been boosting at least 8 psi, but I couldn't figure out why it wasn't hitting the correct spring pressure. I touched a few vacuum lines today to make sure there were no boost leaks, and there weren't any. on my way to the meet, she started boosting 9.5/10 psi, and afrs are at 12.5. Much better than before and Im in love with this car all over again. Its def quicker than it was supercharged. still need tuning though, not satisfied still.

My Cars
    Turbo E36, V8 E39
    Haven't updated due to moving the shop and trying to get my crews cars all ready for springfest 5. I got the full exhaust redone so no scraping and alot more clearance. I did however make the mistake of hooking the ccv to my catch can and then back into the throttle inlet so my crancase pressurized and I have to replace my valve cover gasket. I bought an f1 stage 3 clutch, new guibo and center support bearing so when I install those ill be changing my rear main just as precaution. My shroud came loose and broke my fan so I had to replace that and radiator so I just went with an all aluminum one.

Also picked these heated vaders up for $150
    ForumRunner_20140317_125813.png
    Reupholstering them myself so ill show the finished product when its done
    Last edited by usherboy83; 03-17-2014 at 01:01 PM.

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    are those grey or tan?

My Cars
    Turbo E36, V8 E39
    They are dove grey. They had already been sanded in this picture. I was going to use leather filler and sema leather dye to redo them but decided to reupholster instead

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Smoking deal for $ 150
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    Turbo E36, V8 E39
    The guy had them advertised as non heated and really bad upholstery. When he sent pics I was surprised they were in better shape than he led on so I drove 2hrs to check them out and picked them up to find they were indeed heated.

My Cars
    Turbo E36, V8 E39
    I customized a spare valve cover by JB welding a -10AN fitting in my CCV to run my vibrant vacuum scavenge system to pull thru my exhaust so when under boost I don't pressurize my crankcase. I then made my carbon hood functional with louvers to rid the engine of all the heat from the turbo, and because after replacing the hood latch components and still having the hood raise after a spirited drive I added hood pins. Not everyone's taste but it works for me and like I said it is functional. Also got some tires and refinished my style 65s a shade of gunmetal called storm gray metallic. wheel set up now will be 215/40/18 up front et 31 and 255/35/18 rear et 41.

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    nice job on the rims. I have a set in my garage Im preping for the same. I was thinking powder coat though. why no powder coat on yours?

My Cars
    Turbo E36, V8 E39
    Thanks. Ive always preferred paint for simple fact if I scratch or curb them I can fix it instead of sending the wheel off again.

My Cars
    Turbo E36, V8 E39
    Tried to install my f1 stage 3 clutch with help from some friends today. Didn't order the ltw flywheel with it. Annnnndddd..... Pressure plate didnt fit. I guess its made to work with their flywheels and not our stock dual mass one. It didnt clamp the clutch disc and I had to basically do the clutch job twice once I got it all together and the car wouldn't budge. For now im running the 6 puck disc with stock pressure plate. It took 2hrs for the first time and only 45mins the second time. Think i have this transmission job down. I welded a tab on the top starter bolt sobit would catch on the transmission so it made it sooo much quicker.

My Cars
    e36
    I contacted F1 several months ago and I was told that their clutch/ pressure plate combo should work with the stock dual mass. With my research , I found other members have had success with using the stock dual mass flywheel.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast