Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Let's See Your Retrofitted Headlights

My Cars
    N/A
    PM me if anyone wants a set of Apexcone/PZI projector headlights.

My Cars
    2002 BMW Z3 Coupe 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWBergy View Post
    Yep, sorry. Did my math the wrong way 'round. 6mm LARGER than 76mm FX-R lens dome, 8mm SMALLER than Hella procector's 90mm diameter.
    I've been trying to get in touch with TRS re: the 2.5 vs. 3" fx-r. all i need to know is if the mounting hole dimensions are the same, so wondering if i can install the 3" to Skys brackets. sounds like if lens is only larger part then I may be able to

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Yes, the 3.0 will fit these brackets.

So, now I'm thinking I may re-use the Hella high beams from the PZ1s and possibly trim the E55 shrouds to fit over them. Im guessing I'll need to either cut or reproduce the brackets from the set to mount them too.

-Todd

My Cars
    2002 BMW Z3 Coupe 3.0
    thank you!

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by lokijibber View Post
    Yes, the 3.0 will fit these brackets.

So, now I'm thinking I may re-use the Hella high beams from the PZ1s and possibly trim the E55 shrouds to fit over them. Im guessing I'll need to either cut or reproduce the brackets from the set to mount them too.
    Why not use the PZI shrouds for high and low?

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Im not sure they'll look good with the FXR projector. I guess I won't know for sure until I have the lights apart. Just worried about the ~1/2 cm gap as compared to the Hella that will be smaller.

EDIT: was also considering these:
    http://www.myhellalights.com/index.p...ule-high-beam/
    Last edited by lokijibber; 02-01-2014 at 08:25 PM.

-Todd

My Cars
    M Roadster
    So how do your guys beams look? Im in the process of adjusting mine now.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Soon I'll be having retrofitted 3rd brake light :P

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Anyone got any new shots of their fresh lights??

My Cars
    2000 E36/8, 2007 E90
    I recently bought robrez's TSX projector retrofits, and a scored a set of impossible-to-find clear corners from Ghery. I too went with Morimoto HIDs and ballasts, which just arrived in the mail. I've always liked the OEM look of the cut lenses with embedded projector, as it definitely matches the E38, E39 and E53 lights from the same era. Everything will go together this weekend:

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Quote Originally Posted by StarReaver View Post
    I've always liked the OEM look of the cut lenses with embedded projector,
    I'm finding this is the only acceptable look for projectors for me. I'm glad I've found a projector that I like the look of!

Now I just have to decide who I should get to make them for me? We seem to have a few folks who are willing. I'd much prefer not DIY if I can avoid it.

My Cars
    00 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jajou318 View Post
    Soon I'll be having retrofitted 3rd brake light :P
    HIDs in your third brake light? I like it!

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    I put more work in on mine today, but still not close to done. I got a few more tricks up my sleeve.

My Cars
    '01 Z3 Coupe, '91 318i
    I recently bought robrez's TSX projector retrofits, and a scored a set of impossible-to-find clear corners from Ghery. I too went with Morimoto HIDs and ballasts, which just arrived in the mail. I've always liked the OEM look of the cut lenses with embedded projector, as it definitely matches the E38, E39 and E53 lights from the same era. Everything will go together this weekend:

Glad you got them all cleaned up. Hope you used gentle cycle!

My Cars
    2000 E36/8, 2007 E90
    Quote Originally Posted by robrez View Post
    Glad you got them all cleaned up. Hope you used gentle cycle!
    Thanks again Rob Here are installed pics:

Again, they are TSX projectors with Morimoto D2S 4300k bulbs/ballasts. Light output is AMAZING!! I'm not used to being able to see at night, and this is a HUGE improvement over my previous setup. However, I need to do some re-adjusting, which I'm dreading.

Also, at the expense of sounding like an idiot, I'm confused about the wiring harness (I purchased my HIDs/ballasts from The Retrofit Source, and it was included). Do I need it? I just plugged the oem connectors into the new ballasts and it all works... Will everything fail spectacularly without the harness?

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe

This is the best looking retro-fit I've seen. They look like they could have come from the factory. Really great job.

2000 Z3 M Coupe

My Cars
    00 M Coupe
    Also, at the expense of sounding like an idiot, I'm confused about the wiring harness (I purchased my HIDs/ballasts from The Retrofit Source, and it was included). Do I need it? I just plugged the oem connectors into the new ballasts and it all works... Will everything fail spectacularly without the harness?
    i too have this question

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    following...

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    I have been running HID in the Coupe for almost 10 years now without a harness and have never had a problem. That being said, I run oem bosch units.
    -Joe

My Cars
    2000 E36/8, 2007 E90
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorsport3 View Post
    This is the best looking retro-fit I've seen. They look like they could have come from the factory. Really great job.
    Thanks! But I can't take credit for the actual hard work (ie, retrofitting the actual projector units or lens cutting), as I bought them that way. I merely swapped out the corner markers and polished/repainted the inner lenses, and put it all back together with a heat gun and some clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bimjam96 View Post
    i too have this question
    Quote Originally Posted by QuestMCoupe View Post
    I have been running HID in the Coupe for almost 10 years now without a harness and have never had a problem. That being said, I run oem bosch units.
    I didn't have harnesses with my previous HID setup either, and it was also problem free. However, those were H9 bulbs, and I don't know if the new D2S bulbs have different power requirements. I was confused because the HD Relay 9006 harness I received with my bulbs/ballasts has only 1 input, whereas the car has 2 outputs. After reading through Bergy's DIY thread, everything was clarified.
    Last edited by StarReaver; 04-13-2014 at 05:32 PM.

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    ... with my bulbs/ballasts has only 1 input, whereas the car has 2 outputs. After speaking with a TRS representative, I was informed that I should have opted for the Can-Bus Standalone harnesses instead. Since I already paid for the harness when I ordered my kit, I might as well exchange it and use the correct harness.
    Alan, you shouldn't need the canbus harness, since our cars don't have a canbus system. I thought I talked about the single input, dual output of the TRS relay harness in my DIY thread - it was initially confusing to me, too - but simply put, you only need one voltage input going to the harness, which then sends voltage to the two ballasts. You can tape up your other low beam input and move along smartly.

My Cars
    368, E86, 318ti, Raptor
    Alan, you shouldn't need the canbus harness, since our cars don't have a canbus system. I thought I talked about the single input, dual output of the TRS relay harness in my DIY thread - it was initially confusing to me, too - but simply put, you only need one voltage input going to the harness, which then sends voltage to the two ballasts. You can tape up your other low beam input and move along smartly.

This.

You do want to run the harness though, as opposed to just using OEM wiring. While instances may be few and far between, the HID ballasts consume (on startup only) much more power than the original circuit is meant to withstand. You may never have a problem, or you may end up with a burnt up headlight wiring harness. If you need help wiring up the harness let me know, I can walk you through it pretty fast.

My Cars
    2000 E36/8, 2007 E90
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky1Z3 View Post
    This.

You do want to run the harness though, as opposed to just using OEM wiring. While instances may be few and far between, the HID ballasts consume (on startup only) much more power than the original circuit is meant to withstand. You may never have a problem, or you may end up with a burnt up headlight wiring harness. If you need help wiring up the harness let me know, I can walk you through it pretty fast.
    Thanks for clarifying, you two. Bergy, when I first read through your DIY thread I skimmed over the part about the harness because reasons. After actually reading through it this time, everything makes sense. I just finished putting the harness in and went with wiring option 1:

Thanks again for your help. I'm going to edit my earlier post so others won't be confused by the misinformation.
    Last edited by StarReaver; 04-13-2014 at 05:33 PM.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    I was going through all of my headlight stuff and realized I have this same harness as well. I may go ahead and use it since I have it.

This is how my headlights look now.

Sky brackets
    Fx-r projectors
    Philips 85123 bulbs

-Joe

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Quest, how's the performance of that bulb/projector combo?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast