Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can we talk about the default image insertion behavior?

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    99.999% of the time, images missing from posts is due to the image no longer existing on the host site. This can be caused by the host site purging the image, or the person responsible for the image removing it (often forgetting they'd posted it elsewhere) while organizing their hosted images, or if the host site moves images around giving them different URLs than what they used to have, or some other odd occurrences.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BenFenner View Post
    Mr. Bingley it sounds like you use the forum's WYSIWYG post editor. Others, (like me) use a simpler editor so we can work with the code and thus have an easier time doing complex tasks.
    I wasn't aware there is more than one interface (other than mobile and desktop). Please explain what you are referring to, how one accesses this alternate mode, what the advantages are, and what the disadvantages are (other than apparently not being able to copy and paste photos)?

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Forum Actions → Edit Profile → General Settings → Miscellaneous Options → Message Editor Interface

As for pros/cons. That's going to take some serious time to explain. I suggest you give the Standard Editor a try and do some experimenting. Also go look up BBC (Bulletin Board Code).
    Cheers!

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Forum Actions → Edit Profile → General Settings → Miscellaneous Options → Message Editor Interface

As for pros/cons. That's going to take some serious time to explain. I suggest you give the Standard Editor a try and do some experimenting. Also go look up BBC (Bulletin Board Code).
    Cheers!

Thanks. I looked up BBC and read all about it. Pretty straight forward, but looks like work to code something in. I switched to the standard editor, and am using it as I write.

I still appear to be able to simply copy an image and paste it in (this one from my Picasa account). What am I missing here (ok, besides photographic artistry)?

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    What you're describing simply isn't possible. Are you sure you're not copying the image URL (completely different from copying the image itself) and pasting the image URL into an image insertion widget?

I just tried what you describe and it's not happening. You might have a browser plugin or something fancy that lets you do this?
    Last edited by BenFenner; 01-21-2014 at 08:09 AM.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    No, I just right click on the image itself, select "copy image," and then right click on my post where I want it to be, and select "paste."

Voila--this one is from Google images. I'm using Firefox and the only plug-in is AddBlocker Plus (highly recommend). Seems to work every time and no matter which computer I'm using (home, work, laptop).

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Point at the first icon, the "A". If it says "Switch to Source Mode", then you're in WYSIWYG mode. This setting seems to override the default settings in the user panel.

/.randy

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Point at the first icon, the "A". If it says "Switch to Source Mode", then you're in WYSIWYG mode. This setting seems to override the default settings in the user panel.
    Indeed, it says "Switch editor to source mode." So, even though I switched it on the user panel, it still defaults to WYSIWYG. Well, in any event, posting pictures in WYSIWYG is pretty d*** simple.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Holy crap, the madness never ends.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Well, in any event, posting pictures in WYSIWYG is pretty d*** simple.
    Then this thread isn't for you.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    These attachments are taking foooooorrrrrrrreeeeeeeeevvvvvvvveeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr to load.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    I just waited 28 seconds for an attachment to load.
    This is out of control.

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    I just waited 28 seconds for an attachment to load.
    This is out of control.
    28 seconds out of your life, never to return. heheheh

My Cars
    '02 M Coupe x2
    No me gusta.
    '02 M Coupe, Estoril Blue on Estoril
    '02 M Coupe, -???-Who knows-???-
    ‘02 M Coupe, Alpine White on Black
    '06 M Coupe, Interlagos Blue/Black Carbon Leather
    ’99 M3 Coupe, Technoviolet/Black
    ’04 VW R32, Reflex Silver/Black Cloth

My Cars
    95 240SX|98 Z3M|05 Elise
    The load times are getting worse, I think. Terry, do you know if the powers that be are working on this problem?

My Cars
    M-Roadster
    I don't know but I'll snoop around for other complaints. To make sure I understand the issue, the slow load times are only when uploading images to BFC forum, correct?

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    I hope this is not considered off topic. One persons sig link always sets off my computer virus protection. Has that happened to anyone else?

My Cars
    M-Roadster
    So I just went over to the Testing forum. I uploaded a 209K image, as a thumbnail, almost instantly but saving the post was slow. Is this the issue or is it when actually attaching the images?

Thanks,
    Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    The slow attachment loading is one of six issues described in detail in post #7.

As an example, try post #1458 here which has an image attached. Click the thumbnail to load the image. It should take less than 1 second to load, certainly less than 2. Start counting. When you pass 2, you know you have a problem.
    To test again, try the attached image in the next post. Again, start counting.

Both images are 800x600 compressed jpegs. They should take milliseconds to load. If they load in less than 1 second for you, it's because you have them cached in your browser already. Go to post #14 to find attachments you've likely not cached. Time those.
    Last edited by BenFenner; 02-02-2014 at 11:09 AM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Seven seconds to load on my desktop. Won't load at all on the tablet app.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kram71 View Post
    I hope this is not considered off topic. One persons sig link always sets off my computer virus protection. Has that happened to anyone else?
    No problem here, but then I don't allow Microsoft products on the net here. Got a pointer to the sig in question? Send it in a PM if you want to keep it non-public, and I'll dig into it.

/.randy

My Cars
    M-Roadster
    4 seconds on iPad over local wifi.

T

Edit: I found two similar sized images and they loaded in 14 and 3 seconds. They should have been about equal.

Ben, how much of this is relative to the host server used? If it takes having BFC use a different server, pretty confident that ain't happening.

T
    Last edited by Terry F.; 02-02-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    95 240SX|98 Z3M|05 Elise
    I would expect the BFC host server is the one being used when pics are attached to the post. I think part of Ben's point is that the default now is to attach to the post, and this is potentially overwhelming the BFC servers. It seems to me the load times just keep getting slower for viewing images that are attached. To be clear, this does not seem to be a problem on embedded links to external hosts.

My Cars
    M-Roadster
    Ok, I am finally getting it. Using that icon is the problem. We need an IMG icon or the QUICKIMG icon moved to the front page without needing to select Advanced. Seems a reasonable request, I'll see what the opinion is with admin.

BTW, I NEVER use that icon, always type IMG commands or use QUICKIMG icon.

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    It's also the default behavior of that icon that is an issue. It should default to not hosting the file. Not attaching images.

As for "moving" it. I don't think it needs to move (personally). It seems fine where it is? If you use the Standard Enhanced editor, it's right there where it always has been. Those using the Standard Base editor, and the WYSIWYG editor, I have no idea where it should be. I've never used those for any real length of time.
    Last edited by BenFenner; 02-02-2014 at 10:46 PM.

My Cars
    M-Roadster
    It's also the default behavior of that icon that is an issue. It should default to not hosting the file. Not attaching images.

As for "moving" it. I don't think it needs to move (personally). It seems fine where it is? If you use the Standard Enhanced editor, it's right there where it always has been. Those using the Standard Base editor, and the WYSIWYG editor, I have no idea where it should be. I've never used those for any real length of time.
    Ben,

I really think the majority of our community isn't just stabbing at the first/default because it's first. I'm not quite convinced swapping those choice's locations will meaningfully reduce forum-hosted photos. Education is the key, get everyone signed up to reliable hosting services and get them comfortable using them.

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    95 240SX|98 Z3M|05 Elise
    I dunno, Terry. Before the Great Software Update of 2013®, one could still attach images. Hardly anyone did, though. Now it's the default behavior and image attachment is used much more. I have a hard time believing that changing it to the default and the dramatically increased usage is a coincidental and not causal relationship.

This is coming from someone who actually likes the change; I just don't like the excessive load times.
    Last edited by Scarceas; 02-02-2014 at 11:12 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast