Thread: E36 Owners with Hotchkis and/or JRZ suspension - Horrid wheel hop.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3

E36 Owners with Hotchkis and/or JRZ suspension - Horrid wheel hop.

I'm looking for some advice on what is causing the horrid wheel hop that I've been getting post rebuild and suspension component replacement.

JRZ RS1, Hotchkis Sway Bars, TCK rear springs and adjusters, Turner bushing based LCA, new OEM ball joints, AKG poly subframe mounts, Rogue RSM, rebuilt half shafts, etc etc etc etc. The full details are in my journal if someone spots a culprit. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=489481

I know wheel hop is normal with IRS cars. I've dealt with the normal hop on my 96 M3 for 9 years prior to all these changes. It is so bad now that is feels like the upper control arm is twisting and tearing the wheel off the car. This is with 13psi of boost by the way. My only guess is the high pressure JRZ shocks or the Hotchkis sways (although using a larger bar should help eliminate hop). Everything was torqued using a Snap-on techangle and with the car loaded on the ground.

I have noticed that on full droop the RS1 rear shocks thunk when dropped (meaning lift the wheel and let go you get a thunk). It feels as if there is no internal soft droop stop, just a metal stop. I also cannot get the car lower than a finger gap in the rear with the RS1 (likely due to the pressure of the shock). It prompted me to call around and the only thing that was mentioned was upper control arms being on wrong (they are not). Even with the adjusters removed the car still sits above the tire (I do not want stance trash height, just noting this). Another theory was that I'm not low enough to use the RS1 appropriately. Meaning I'm too high so full shock extension comes abnormally. If that's the case a spring change may resolve this.

Car handles amazing when grip isn't an issue. In turns it steps out very smooth and is easily controlled. This is only from straight line launches or second gear WOT pulls where wheel spin is excessive.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 06-27-2016 at 01:10 AM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Have you tried adjusting the damping and seen what results that has? Also, if you contact JRZ about this, they may be able to help you with different valving or what have you. It's possible the shocks are the problem, even if the handling is good otherwise. Not saying that's it conclusively, but it could be part (or all) of the problem.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFabM3 View Post
    Have you tried adjusting the damping and seen what results that has? Also, if you contact JRZ about this, they may be able to help you with different valving or what have you. It's possible the shocks are the problem, even if the handling is good otherwise. Not saying that's it conclusively, but it could be part (or all) of the problem.
    I have not contacted them yet and yes I have played around with the adjustment, no change. I didn't want to bug them with this as there are so many other parts involved here.

You could very well be right. I recently blew the motor so I can't test any other shocks now. While it is down I was hoping to resolve some issues. I have a set of Koni rear shocks to try, just no propulsion.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Easy on the loud pedal?

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is

My Cars
    2012 GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    Easy on the loud pedal?
    Blasphemy!

On topic, I have the Hotchkis bars and haven't had any issues with wheel hop. What length springs are you running?
    97 M3 - SCCA TT Prepped
    17 F150 - Tow Pig
    05 S2000 - Sold
    88 325is - S52 powered - Sold
    95 M3 LTW Rep - Death by Altima

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
    What tires?

PSS. They were never this bad prior.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    What do you have for rear trailing arm bushings?

I would guess stock rubber would cause wheel hop for a turboed car.
    1994 325is- M52 swap, Fan delete, AA chip, CAI, TC-Kline DA, H&R 28mm front sway, Kevin Higgins exhaust, kosei k1 17x8.5's with RA1's, DS2's with REO1R's, 3.23 lsd

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky325 View Post
    What do you have for rear trailing arm bushings?

I would guess stock rubber would cause wheel hop for a turboed car.
    Brand new OEM RTABs with limiters, correctly pre-loaded. I ran poly RTABs for years and was convinced to stop.