My Cars
    1999 840Ci Sport Indvidu

N62 Timing chain tensioners?

Hi guys,

This is my first post in this section, having just bought a 2004 X5 4.4 Sport 3weeks ago as a winter tool, its in fantastic condition without any of the usual E53 faults(yet!) But with 140,000 miles on the clock!

So first job was a service, new rear control arms, etc.

And onto the point of this Thread!... I don't know if the Timing chain tensioners have ever been done, so as a believer in preventative maintains, I decided to get them changed at BMW this week. However there seams to be a clearance issue on the right hand bank! Dose anybody know how on earth it should come out without lifting the engine?

On my 840ci M62 it was very easy as there was enough space, and only took about 20min!

Cheers,
    Steve

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    You do know that the N62 & M62TU engines do't share the same maladies, right? So, what is wrong with the timing chain tensioners on your N62 engine? I don't recall there being an issue with them...especially as preventative maintenance issue.

PM is a good thing...but there's no need to spend money when nothing is wrong...its best t save it for those things that WILL occur and need to be addressed.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-17-2014 at 04:31 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    01 540iT
    Just recently purchased an 05 4.4 and planning what needs to done as pm.
    So is changing the timing chain tensioners on the N62 not critical/necessary as in the M62?
    Should I be concerned about timing guides failure as much as I do on the M62?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    totally different engine...just like you don't hear of timing chain guide issues on the m54.

Comparatively...the n62's intermediate lever issue would be its nemeses similar to the m62tu & its timing chain guide issue.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    BMW 645Ci, 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpressions View Post
    Hi guys,

This is my first post in this section, having just bought a 2004 X5 4.4 Sport 3weeks ago as a winter tool, its in fantastic condition without any of the usual E53 faults(yet!) But with 140,000 miles on the clock!

So first job was a service, new rear control arms, etc.

And onto the point of this Thread!... I don't know if the Timing chain tensioners have ever been done, so as a believer in preventative maintains, I decided to get them changed at BMW this week. However there seams to be a clearance issue on the right hand bank! Dose anybody know how on earth it should come out without lifting the engine?

On my 840ci M62 it was very easy as there was enough space, and only took about 20min!

Cheers,
    Steve
    Does anyone know how to change the timing chain, plus guides and tensioner without having to remove
    the cylinder heads ???? N62 engine, 645Ci. 4.4L
    On this model the cylinder head castings have an extra bit that the guides are behind.
    I can't see any way to remove the faulty guide without taking off the heads ??
    That seems rather extreme.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Why are you doing this work? Problem with the engine?
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black