Thread: KW, VAC, and Motorsport Hardware install article.

My Cars
    M3, 911, NSX, DC5, AE86

KW, VAC, and Motorsport Hardware install article.

Hey guys,

StanceWorks just published an article covering the install of a few track related parts on my M3 and I thought some of you might like to check it out.

I replaced my TC Klines with a set of KW Clubsport coilovers which I am currently loving. Installed some VAC rear control arms and a VAC fuel starvation kit, and Motorsport hardware studs, spacers, and lug nuts.

I'll be posting up a full KW Clubsport review and comparison soon after I have some time to test them out and dial them in. My initial impressions are very positive though. I did quite a bit of research on them on the e36 chassis before I installed them and couldn't find very much info so I was a little nervous. Now I'm thrilled I did it.

You can find the article here
    http://www.stanceworks.com/2014/01/b...vus-autosport/

These are some of the pictures from the article.

They also had some excellent coverage of Super Lap Battle if you want to see some on track action.
    http://www.stanceworks.com/2013/11/s...-buttonwillow/

Finally thank you to KW, VAC Motorsports, Swift Springs, and Motorsport Hardware for the support!

My Cars
    '95 M3/'98 328ic
    Nice article. We love our Motorsport Hardware studs and their build quality. We have yet to break one running GTS or TT. Also, Ryan's support is top notch!
    Last edited by zabuomar; 01-15-2014 at 05:15 PM.
    -Zach
    2013 NASA Midwest Time Trials "B" Champion and Rookie of the Year

EFFEKTIV Motorsport #188 TTB - E-fab / Motorsport Hardware / NOS Energy Drink
    Visit us @ https://www.facebook.com/EffektivMotorsport

My Cars
    GTS2/3 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir@AvusAutosport View Post
    Hey guys,

StanceWorks just published an article covering the install of a few track related parts on my M3 and I thought some of you might like to check it out.

I replaced my TC Klines with a set of KW Clubsport coilovers which I am currently loving. Installed some VAC rear control arms and a VAC fuel starvation kit, and Motorsport hardware studs, spacers, and lug nuts.

I'll be posting up a full KW Clubsport review and comparison soon after I have some time to test them out and dial them in. My initial impressions are very positive though. I did quite a bit of research on them on the e36 chassis before I installed them and couldn't find very much info so I was a little nervous. Now I'm thrilled I did it.

They also had some excellent coverage of Super Lap Battle if you want to see some on track action.
    http://www.stanceworks.com/2013/11/s...-buttonwillow/

Finally thank you to KW, VAC Motorsports, Swift Springs, and Motorsport Hardware for the support!
    Very Cool! Stoked to see how you like the KW Clubsports as I've been looking at their 2 way Motorsport dampers to replace my Group N's!

-Ryan
    Ryan, Milwaukee WI - 93 325is

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    very nice pictures and I love the car!
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Diggin the shop

My Cars
    2003 ZHP 6MT, 1997 M345
    My car was once maintained in that shop (two owners ago). Visited the shop once and it did look very clean. Met Amir at the track at least once at Buttonwillow and I think also at Streets of Willow (not to be confused with Thunderhill, which is in Willows...) But never actually seen Amir at Avus.
    Last edited by LivesNearCostco; 01-16-2014 at 12:31 PM.

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Hey guys,

Way to follow installation instructions... Couldn't they find a bigger air gun to tighten the top nut? KW Instructions call for only 26lb!
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    e36
    Which swift springs and spring rates did you end up going with if you don't mind me asking?

My Cars
    M3, 911, NSX, DC5, AE86
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRTBMW View Post
    Very Cool! Stoked to see how you like the KW Clubsports as I've been looking at their 2 way Motorsport dampers to replace my Group N's!

-Ryan
    Initial impressions are very positive. I'm very surprised at how big of a difference I've felt over the TCK's. I was honestly a little nervous before installing them thinking they either wouldn't be any better or not as good as the TCK's. As of right now I'm so glad I installed them. I have a track day this weekend and everything it set up exactly how it was so I'll have as close to an apples to apples comparison as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by zabuomar View Post
    Nice article. We love our Motorsport Hardware studs and their build quality. We have yet to break one running GTS or TT. Also, Ryan's support is top notch!
    Definitely! I've always been weary of studs due to failures I've seen on track. However Motorsport Hardware studs are TUV approved and have had lots of track time with no issues. Ryan is the man which helps.

Quote Originally Posted by badmonkey View Post
    Diggin the shop
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    very nice pictures and I love the car!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by bimerok View Post
    Way to follow installation instructions... Couldn't they find a bigger air gun to tighten the top nut? KW Instructions call for only 26lb!
    I had to double check something and they were actually coming back off :p

Quote Originally Posted by Jfriday11 View Post
    Which swift springs and spring rates did you end up going with if you don't mind me asking?
    My current set up is 10k/14k (560#/784#). I'm probably going to switch back to the stock CS springs.

My Cars
    00 328Ci, 06 M3, 01 325i
    Glad to hear another person has liked the Clubsports, much less someone else who switched to them from TCK!
    2006 M3 ZCP/6MT AW/IR - Vorsteiner Dual-Side Dry CF GTR Hood + CSL Trunk + Diffuser + Roof + Mirrors + Sideskirts, VAC CF CSL airbox + bored ITB's + Valvetrain Stg3, SS Ver1 Stepped Headers + Akrapovic Ti exhaust, KW Clubsports + Hotchkis sways + UUC/AKG/RE/TMS PowerFlex bushings and mounts, Mason F+R steel strut braces + rear brace, Zionsville rad + Stewart pump + Samco hoses, TMS Pulleys + VAC Dampener, Beisan full VANOS, Recaro Sportster CS CF seats, UUC EVO3 SSK+DSSR w ZHP knob, OE CSL CF Interior, UUC Stg1 DM Clutch+FW 23lb total w SS line, Performance Friction Monoblock BBK (4p 358x34mm 2pc front + 4p 355x32mm 2pc rear, slotted) w SS lines, Volk TE37SL 19x9f 10.5r, ARC-8 18x10f 10.5r, BBS LM 19x9.5f 10.5r, and more...
    2000 328Ci 6MT/ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/HK Topaz Fully-Built motor w 11.5psi ESS Lysholm blower @ 10.5:1 CR, OS Giken 3.15:1 LSD w 6MT... 419rwhp/392rwtq 93oct and 2972lbs... Nothing is stock.
    1999 M3/2/6 Alpine White w Euro S50B32 + 6MT,
    ?t="[/

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by nleksan View Post
    Glad to hear another person has liked the Clubsports, much less someone else who switched to them from TCK!
    From which TCK?

Neil

My Cars
    M3, 911, NSX, DC5, AE86
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    From which TCK?

Neil
    I went from TCK Smart Design Doubles to KW Clubsports. So glad I did. Front end grip has dramatically improved. I went from doing everything I could to stop understeer, to now trying to add rear grip. I think the overall grip level will be higher when I'm done setting up the car. With just the Clubsports set to full soft and no set up the car was setting similar lap times to the TCK's when I had them set up to where I liked them. I spent probably 8 months and 20 track days setting up the TCK's as well. The spring rates were also the same with the two set ups. Before I put on the Clubsports I was a little nervous since I liked how the TCK's performed and wasn't sure if I was making an improvement or not. After the install and a weekend at the track I am thrilled with the results. Not only do they perform well, but they also feel pretty comfortable on the street despite stiffer than average spring weights.

I'll have done 8 track days including my first race of the year by the end of February. I should have the dampers dialed in by then and will give a full review with lap time and feel comparisons.

My Cars
    BMW's
    Solid build Amir, we are a big fan of KW Clubsports! Can't tell you how may of our customers swear by KW.
    Last edited by Frank@AchillesMotorsports; 01-22-2014 at 02:40 PM.

Connect with us on: Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | Pintrest | Twitter | YouTube

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G

My current set up is 10k/14k (560#/784#). I'm probably going to switch back to the stock CS springs.
    Aren't the CS Springs a little firmer than the ones you're running? I think the rears are progressive as well?

My Cars
    M3, 911, NSX, DC5, AE86
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    Aren't the CS Springs a little firmer than the ones you're running? I think the rears are progressive as well?
    The CS fronts are a 12k (672#). I'm running a street tire and I like to run the softest spring possible, so the 10k seems to work well for my set up. Fortunately KW valving can run a pretty wide range of springs rates. I'm still playing with the set up and may revert back to a 12k spring in the front, but currently the 10k with a big sway seems to be working very well. The rear CS springs are progressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank@AchillesMotorsports View Post
    Solid build Amir, we are a big fan of KW Clubsports! Can't tell you how may of our customers swear by KW.
    Thank you!

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    What swaybar(s) did you run? There was a guy on here with a white M3 that did KW clubsports and seemed to like them so much he went with the KW 3-ways.

just saw this thread.....

some very fast e36m3 at the ring run KW 2 way comps......and cars seem very ez to drive based on the onboards.

Im beginning to be very intrigued by both the KW CS and the KW 2 way comps...

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    just saw this thread.....

some very fast e36m3 at the ring run KW 2 way comps......and cars seem very ez to drive based on the onboards.

Im beginning to be very intrigued by both the KW CS and the KW 2 way comps...
    If you are having to bump 3 year old threads for feedback, much better off going with a more widely used setup. JRZ and MCS should be in a similar price range. Unless you are affiliated with KW......

not really looking for feedback...

...just adding a bit

My Cars
    95m3/97m345/powerstroke
    I love my clubsports, Ran them for 3 seasons now with no issues. They've handled every range of tire I've thrown on without even needing to adjust much.

My Cars
    e36
    Yeah I've been running the clubsports for few years as well and love them. Won the time trial championship outright with them last year. Lots of R&D goes into these things and if people aren't talking about them or using them, then they're missing out on a seriously good coilover.