Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1995 Cosmos M3 - helping back to life

My Cars
    2016 M3

1995 Cosmos M3 - helping back to life

See PG2 for the newest update Color Change Content!

Hey Everyone, this is my first longer journal/story on here. It seems like the best way to document and share my progress while also getting helpful tips and suggestions. I had this over on M3Forum and didn't get much response, hoping with more e36 folks here I will get more good ideas/help.

On to the car. I wanted a fun daily driver and also a car I could get my feet wet with in terms of DIY projects so I picked up my e36 M back in June from a member over on here. It had 166xxx miles and was in ok mechanical shape but needed some cosmetic help and overall refreshing. I really liked that the car was almost 100% stock and its only real mod was a short shift kit. I also got a set a full set of DS1 wheels along with the OEM LTW's and the price was right so I pulled the trigger.

Pics from initial purchase:

After buying the car I took it in for MD state inspection which required me to get a few things:
    Fog Lights
    Rear Brakes
    Rear Tires (Went with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo)
    Headliner, Was sagging really badly ( Had the shop repair the drivers side vader as well)
    Wiper Blades

I also really disliked the smoked depo tails and the clear turn signals which had blue bulbs :twocents: so I swapped them out for OEM amber turn signals and amber/OEM tails. I thought it made the car instantly look better

Pics of the repaired vader and headliner

Also Upgraded the shift knob to ZHP

And with the help of RRSperry brought the stereo back to life and went from sound in one speaker to sound in all of them!

After these I moved up to Massachusetts and in driving a few thousand miles realized some more issues and modifications I wanted to do. Took it in and got:

Euro Headlights
    New Front Tires (Stayed with the Hankooks)
    Wiper sensor and pump
    Removed rotted exhaust hanger (fixed an annoying rattle)
    Alignment and Oil Change

Pic with Euro Lights:

...........And with an r8 :

Upcoming Things:
    Aftermarket/new Exhaust
    Fuel Filter
    Engine refresh/knock sensors
    Replace rubber trim and gaskets on windows
    Power Steering System refresh
    Snow Tires on DS1s

Long Range Projects/mods:
    Paint correction and fixing body imperfections
    Conforti Eurosport Intake Package
    Possibly Suspension
    OEM Mats
    3 Spoke Wheel
    Speaker Upgrades
    Last edited by nate161514; 09-03-2017 at 01:48 PM.

2016 Alpine/Sahkir M3
    Sold: 1995 Estoril/Modena M3 - LTW's, SSK, Euro Lights, X Brace, TCK S/A, ECS, Rogue DMS, Turner Stage 1, BavSound, Leatherz
    Sold: 2005 Imola/Black M3 - Dynavin D99, ZCP Wheels, Eisenmann Sport, BLine Motorsports, CSL Diffuser, Storm Motorwerks
    E36 Build Thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...g-back-to-life
    instagram: nate161514

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Nice example of maintenance over modification!
    If the mind can conceive it, & you believe it, you will achieve it. - Napolean Hill
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 Alpine White & 1998 Arctic Silver ///m3/4/5
    JC Intake - ASC Delete - Dinan TB - Flow Matched 21.5# Injectors - JC Tune - SS Euro Reps (modified to retain SAP) - z3m ssk - Eisenmann Race 76mm - Yokohama Advan S2 - Squared LTW's - FK Silverline +X - Rogue FCAB/ RTAB/ RSM/ TM - X-Brace - CDV Delete -Racing Dynamics F&R Strut Braces - NGK BKR6E- German Castrol 0w-40

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Glad to see it's coming along... Good luck in school.

Rich
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    2016 M3
    ^thanks Rich! I graduated though so I am out in the real world now haha

2016 Alpine/Sahkir M3
    Sold: 1995 Estoril/Modena M3 - LTW's, SSK, Euro Lights, X Brace, TCK S/A, ECS, Rogue DMS, Turner Stage 1, BavSound, Leatherz
    Sold: 2005 Imola/Black M3 - Dynavin D99, ZCP Wheels, Eisenmann Sport, BLine Motorsports, CSL Diffuser, Storm Motorwerks

My Cars
    E36
    how did it align? it looks like it has almost no front camber? (Or I'm just not used to seeing a stockish M!)

Very nice work though!
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    1995 DV M3
    Great project good luck ahead.

My Cars
    1996 E36 2/5 AW
    Saw this one on craigslist and was hoping it would find a good home. Good luck!

My Cars
    2016 M3
    I actually just got an alignment recently when I had major work done (post about that will be in a couple days) and you have a good eye, they are actually a little more straight up and down then normal. I was told/have heard it's better for even tire wear and I don't plan on doing anything crazy performance wise with this car in the near future so I kept them a little more up and down.

2016 Alpine/Sahkir M3

My Cars
    2016 M3
    Thanks for all the positive responses as well I have some good updates/engine open/apart pics coming

2016 Alpine/Sahkir M3

My Cars
    '97 M3, '93 Miata
    Quote Originally Posted by nate161514 View Post
    I actually just got an alignment recently when I had major work done (post about that will be in a couple days) and you have a good eye, they are actually a little more straight up and down then normal. I was told/have heard it's better for even tire wear and I don't plan on doing anything crazy performance wise with this car in the near future so I kept them a little more up and down.
    Camber. Either positive or negative. Negative indicates the top of the tire is tilted in towards your strut. Camber (save for excessive amounts) is generally not the cause of poor tire wear, toe is.

There is no camber adjustment on this car in stock form in the front. Your "alignment" job in the front would have been purely toe (in or out).

Good luck bringing her back! Off to a good start.

My Cars
    330i, M3, X3 & Z4
    Looks nice! I look forward to watching the progress.
    Current Fleet
    2013 BMW X3 28i (Family Truckster)
    2012 BMW Z4 35i (Wife's Toy)
    2001 BMW 330i (Older Son's Car)
    1997 BMW M3 (My Daily Driver and Latest Project)
    2001 Honda Accord (Younger Son's Car)
    Gone but not forgotten - 2001 BMW 525iT, 1989 325is

My Cars
    2016 M3
    So a little update on some things since the first post was actually from a while ago.

The stock exhaust that was on the car was pretty much rotting off so I decided to look for an aftermarket replacement (I wanted to add a little sound too!)
    I found a Rogue DMS for sale on here that was in Rhode Island so I went for it.

Got it installed and really like the sound, its a little loud but I feel the sound fits the car nicely.

I also decided to switch to a tow hook plate and get the "BMW" front trim back on the car. Another small change that I thought went a long way to making the car look better.

When the exhaust was getting installed, I had the shop look over the rest of the car more in depth.

On a side note, the shop I go to, Inline Autoworks in Niantic, CT is in my opinion one of the best for enthusiast owned bmws in the region. The owner Brian has had numerous M Cars and goes way out of his way to make sure your car is done right, at a fair price, and is definitely a perfectionist when it comes to BMWs. When he looked a little deeper though, it turned out there were a few more problems with the car then I had initially realized. With it being my daily driver and my work schedule more hectic then I had anticipated, I decided to get everything taken care of at once there and get the car mechanically fully up to snuff.

Mostly the work was refreshing old and tired components from the engine and suspension. It was obvious someone had cared for the car before, but it needed to be brought back up to speed. Here are some pics with the engine taken apart a little more:

Thankfully the engine turned out to be pretty clean and didn't show signs of a hard life of abuse, even at 170k miles. By the end we had replaced:

Knock Sensors
    Valve Cover Gasket
    Oil Pan Gasket
    Engine Ground Cable
    Multiple Oil Seals and Gaskets
    VANOS Hose
    Spark Plugs
    Motor Mounts
    Fuel Filter and Bracket
    Throttle Body Intake Boot
    Pretty much all of the Power Steering Hoses
    Steering Rack Boots and Tie Rod Assemblies
    RTABS
    Cabin Air Filter
    A new Alignment

I'm sure there might be a few more things too, thats just what I remember.

I also had picked up an X-Brace with a gift card I had, so I got that put on too.

Afterward the car felt amazing compared to when I bought it. On the highway the power band was smooth and the new motor mounts and power steering work helped a lot with the overall feel of the car. They also hooked me up with a complementary cleaning in and out so it looked nice when I picked it up as well.

I was a little unhappy that I was not able to at least attempt more of this work myself but with needing the car for daily driving duties, my priorities had to switch. Hopefully now that the car is back fully up to par mechanically I can have a good starting place for more things to come!

Up next:
    Winter Tires on my set of DS1s
    New Rear 6x9 Speakers (Current ones are blown)
    Replacing exterior window trim and refreshing plastic exterior trim (maybe plasti-dip black?)

2016 Alpine/Sahkir M3

My Cars
    1995 DV M3
    Regarding 6x9's in the rear shelf... I had recently ordered adapters form ebay and installed in my m3. They sound great even with stock components up front. A bit more mid than the trained ear may like but for how easy the upgrade was, I think it sounds amazing. My rear shelf nokia speakers were horribly blown as well. Great progress i'm enjoying keeping up with this one!

My Cars
    98 M3, 96 dinan s/c M3
    Looking good, Definitely a good call swapping those Tails.

My Cars
    M3, 525i
    Glad to see you're bringing the car back. Those initial pictures look like they were taken in The Fan in Richmond, is that where this one came from?

My Cars
    2016 M3
    ^not sure where the fan is, but yes! This was another forum member's car from Richmond before I got it. And that's good to hear with the speakers I picked up some used pioneers on here with the adapters so hopefully they work out, haven't worked on getting them installed yet.

2016 Alpine/Sahkir M3

My Cars
    2016 M3
    Hey Everyone, wanted to make some updates to this thread as I have done a lot since the last time!

Over the summer I worked primary on cosmetic upgrades, I replaced:

Trim and all gaskets around the rear quarter windows
    Gasket around Rear Window
    Door Handle Gaskets
    All Plastic Exterior Trim for rear and front bumpers
    New Kidneys
    New Floor Mats

I also upgraded the stereo and sound, going with a Kenwood Head unit and picked up some used Pioneer 6x9s for the rear speakers. The integration of bluetooth audio was a big bonus, as well as screen color matching the interior lighting at night. The 6x9s made a huge improvement and I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a easy audio upgrade.

On the performance side I made some changes too. There was a sale so I went with the Turner Stage one package which includes the AFE CAI, 3.5inch MAF, and Chip. It was a good install and I learned a lot especially getting the dme out and installed correctly. The resulting induction noise was very satisfying and there seems to be a little bit of a power bump, but not as much as I had hoped.

I also bought a lightly used set of TC Kine S/A Coilovers on the forum and installed them with a lot of help from RRSperry, (Thanks Rich!) which really improved the handling. The rest of the pictures in the thread are with them installed and properly adjusted. I liked the drop which was subtle and performance oriented but not slammed. Right after the install though, everything shut down electronically and coincidentally my battery and alternator died. Replacing those was a positive though, a new battery felt like it brought new life to the car.

I started having problems in the fall with the car idling and dropping revs right after starting. I eventually got a check engine light from it, and had to search deeper. Ended up being an O2 sensor issue. At the same time I went through the car again with my shop and ended up replacing:

02 Lambda Sensor
    Idle Air Control Valve Hose
    Radiator Expansion Tank Hose
    Driveshaft Guibo Flex Disk
    Shift Shaft Seal
    FCABs

As with any 19 year old car, these issues always come up and have to be addressed as parts get old. As with most repairs though, the car ran much better afterward.

I was browsing the forums one day and saw a Modena interior for sale, which to me looked awesome on Cosmos. I decided to go for it as a winter project and picked it up. The front seats are pretty beat and will need to be recovered. Using leatherique and (the summer heat eventually!) I hope to be able to get the backseats in good condition. Overall I think the color change adds a cool uniqueness to the car. I also ordered Bav Sound Speakers for the rest of the car as I would have all the panels off.

Day they came in

Rears Installed

Almost there!

Fully Installed

As the car sits today with the Winter Setup of Square Michelin Alpin Sports on DS1 wheels

I plan to keep up with this through the spring!
    Upcoming Ideas/Projects
    Sway Bars
    Paint Chip Repairs
    Recovered Front Seats
    3 Spoke Steering Wheel
    Alcantara Boots
    LTW or High Arch Wing
    Last edited by nate161514; 02-05-2015 at 11:15 AM.

2016 Alpine/Sahkir M3

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    This car is progressing exactly how I wish I would have started my car repair journey 8 years ago! You are doing an amazing job on prioritizing repairs and I am sure Rich is keeping you on task. The car is really staying OEM+ which is going to complement the heritage and feel of every aspect of the e36 M3. Love the amber corner lights btw, and please go into a little depth on your thoughts compared to your e46 m3 and why you are DDing the e36, how you compare the feel and experience of both. Very interested in hearing your take.

Drew

My Cars
    1999 M3 vert
    Great job so far! I just recently switched from an e36 328iS to the M3, and I can't wait to start refreshing it once I go home for the summer.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe, E39 M5
    Awesome E36 is awesome! Inline Motorworks has really been taking care of the maitenance items and seeing that you have a solid 200k mile ride.

There are ads full of 150k mile E36's that couldn't hold a light to yours. Keep it up Nate.
    Sold: 1998 Cosmos Black 328i Sedan
    Current: 2001 Laguna Seca Blue M Coupe, 2003 LeMans Blue M5
    Daily: 2018 Shadow Black Raptor
    Wife: 2013 Alpine White X5 35i
    Contact Me: MDICTED@gmail.com
    Instagram: MDICTED

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Convertible
    Looking great man, the taillights were exactly how I'd go. I love the interior change too, that modena color is just the best color contrast for the black M's, love it! As for the 6x9 speakers, make sure installed they have a nice tight seal around them, so there's no air gaps, and you should have a decent amount of bass too; not subwoofer level, but a good set of 6x9's properly installed can add a nice full sound to a set of components up front. Keep up the great work!

My Cars
    S50 Cosmos M3
    Your M3 looks awesome...modena interior is so sweet! What brand of FCABs did you replace yours as I will be looking into these later?
    Current: Cosmos M3
    S50|Turner Chip & Camber Arms|Schrick|#24 Injectors|3.5' HFM|Amsoil|H&R|Dinan CAI, Sways & Exhaust

My Cars
    98 M3
    You are seriously killing it with this refresh. Everything being done is spot on to bringing a good car back to great. Nice work!

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    destiny
    Very nice! You are wasting no time.
    Current
    2008 E70 4.8 BSM/Black - 100% Options2007 335i SG/Coral Red - 6MT - Ets, Spec, BMS, VRSF, Broadway Static
    2004 325i AW/Black

Past
    2000 M5 Silverstone/Silverstone - ST Coilovers
    1998 E36 M3 - Tiag, Bride Gias, RK Tunes, M50, AA Track Pipe..

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Spot on with the modena on cosmos. Truly does give it some personality. Looks great!
    If the mind can conceive it, & you believe it, you will achieve it. - Napolean Hill
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 Alpine White & 1998 Arctic Silver ///m3/4/5
    JC Intake - ASC Delete - Dinan TB - Flow Matched 21.5# Injectors - JC Tune - SS Euro Reps (modified to retain SAP) - z3m ssk - Eisenmann Race 76mm - Yokohama Advan S2 - Squared LTW's - FK Silverline +X - Rogue FCAB/ RTAB/ RSM/ TM - X-Brace - CDV Delete -Racing Dynamics F&R Strut Braces - NGK BKR6E- German Castrol 0w-40

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast