Thread: To turbo or not to turbo

My Cars
    BMW JPS 1984 323i 5spd MAN

Arrow To turbo or not to turbo

Ok, I have a BMW E30 (1984) 323i with about 210,000KM and want to know if it is worth putting a turbo in. Will the engine suffer? It is in pretty good condition and has been running relatively fine but a turbo seems like a big jump for an older car. What kind of HP should I expect to be putting out? I.e I will be getting a midly price ranged turbo.

Thanks in advance, Andy
    AnDy

E30 1984 "John Player Special" 323i
    Exterior
    -JPS front and Mtech rear spoiler
    -15inch Gold BBS wheels
    -Tints about 25%-30%
    -Blacked Out Kidneys
    Interior
    -Rear JBL 6*9 (03)
    -Fronts Kenwwod 5.25 inch (03)
    -Kenwood deck (98)
    -ACS Pedal Set
    -M Shift knob
    -Recaro seats
    Performance/Other
    -Sports Springs
    -Exhaust
    -Custom SS Brake Lines
    Pics Coming Soon

My Cars
    '00 m5, '90 325i
    also wondering the same question but i have an m30 with 180k miles
    -Aurash

My Cars
    04 QC dodge ram
    do a compression test and see what it hits. if it does well then go to town. just since the motors have never had a rebuild i would be carefull and only do a low boost kit. anything more and personally i would rebuild the motor.

Tom

My Cars
    '00 m5, '90 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by 943184dr
    do a compression test and see what it hits. if it does well then go to town. just since the motors have never had a rebuild i would be carefull and only do a low boost kit. anything more and personally i would rebuild the motor.

Tom
    how much does a rebuild cost?
    -Aurash

My Cars
    E36, E39, E46, E90
    Quote Originally Posted by MaloventEvil
    how much does a rebuild cost?
    A good rebuild for a nice turbo motor should run $4-$5k if you want to do it right. If you stick with stock anywhere from $1500-$3500.

My Cars
    04 QC dodge ram
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich V
    A good rebuild for a nice turbo motor should run $4-$5k if you want to do it right. If you stick with stock anywhere from $1500-$3500.

This is giving that you have a shop do it for you. of course if you did it yourself and shopped around for the parts you could do it alot cheaper.

Tom

My Cars
    E36, E39, E46, E90
    Quote Originally Posted by 943184dr
    This is giving that you have a shop do it for you. of course if you did it yourself and shopped around for the parts you could do it alot cheaper.

Tom
    Correct, but if you have to ask how much for a rebuild; you're probably not going to attempt it yourself.

My Cars
    04 QC dodge ram
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich V
    Correct, but if you have to ask how much for a rebuild; you're probably not going to attempt it yourself.

good point.

Tom

My Cars
    2003 325i
    If you do a compression test and the results are unsatisfactory, what can you change besides changing the compression of the pistons?

My Cars
    BMW 325is Turbocharged - Jeep Cherokee 4.6L Stroke
    I can't remember who is the guys runing on stock internals with similar Kms on the odometer like yours, and I think is not boosting more than 6-7PSI and runing perfect.

BimmerJimm putted his turbo on his 325i at 160K "miles" on it if I remeber well,with stock internals and runing strong @10-11 PSI
    Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Makr is offline Snark engineer PHD Moderator
    My Cars
    '85 635
    If you put a turbo on your car you will... 1. Have a problem, swear off turbos forever. 2. Run low boost and enjoy modest power gains. 3. Become addicted. It starts with low boost applications, like yours. You then start cranking up the boost, and find out you don't have enough fuel. You fix the fuel problem and you scatter the motor all over the freeway. You build a motor with all the cool stuff, in the process, spending all of the money you were supposed to be building a new garage with, and you start dreaming about stand alone systems, water injections, larger intercoolers, decreaced radius bends, and most importantly more boost....

Don't do it!
    Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.
    Henry David Thoreau

Ride fast, safety last.