Thread: E23 repair manual

My Cars
    85 M635CSi, 85 745i

Post E23 repair manual

Since my repair manuals on CD only run on Win 95 or something about that old, I built a web version (http://pacelinetechnologies.com/BMW_Repair/Index.php). Its pretty basic at this point. I might translate the German into English at some point since there are differences between the two versions. There are more procedures in German than English for the E23. For example, there are about 6 or so procedures for the SLS in German. Nothing in English. Interestingly, the opposite is true for the E24, fewer procedures in German. Anyway, I know there are already several online manual sites for the E24 community, but none that I am aware of for the E23 community.
    Craig in MI
    85 M635CSi - a fond memory
    85 745i - another fond memory

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Exclamation !

awesome!
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i
    Ooh, that is nice. I won't have to carry my old laptop around everywhere!

My Cars
    85 M635CSi, 85 745i
    Quote Originally Posted by DesktopDave View Post
    I won't have to carry my old laptop around everywhere!
    The laptop I used, complete with battery secured by duct tape, can finally be retired....
    Craig in MI

My Cars
    742002Tii, 90325ic, 733i
    Nice!! I'm trying to learn these E23's which this will definately help!!

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjarvis View Post
    The laptop I used, complete with battery secured by duct tape, can finally be retired....
    I'll be trying it on my tablet next - those are even more convenient.

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2001 330i
    Thanks for this, this should help when I have to pull my alt to replace the bushings
    2000 BMW M5 Evolve Alpha-N Tune, Evolve Carbon Fiber CAI's, UUC Short Throw Shifter, Dinan Front STB, Dinan Rear Sway Bar
    2001 BMW 330i ​Dynavin N7 Pro

1985 BMW 745i 18" Style 37's, Team745i Chip, Getrag 265/6, Clutchmasters FX-300, UUC Short Throw Shifter, Strut Tower Bar, Bilstein HD's ("Build" Thread")(SOLD)
    1986 BMW 735i Getrag 265/6 Swap, Strut Tower Bar, Bilstein HD's, Euro F/R Conversion, 3.46 L/S Diff (Scrapped)

2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack Stock
    2004 Mercury Marauder
    Eaton M112, 3.4 Billetflow upper, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, 4.10's, Stainless Works LT's, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, FX-R projectors, Addco F/R swaybars
    2003 Mercury Marauder JLT CAI, SCT Xcal4, Stainless Works LT's, SW 2.5" Catback
    1996 Ford Bronco
    4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, MH1 projectors

My Cars
    L7
    Awsome! I totally need this !

My Cars
    87 535i/84 €735i/8
    Spent some time looking thru this today. Well done.
    --Jay3->Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
    84 €735i manual, 88 528e/i
    Motronic 1 and 1.3 wiring
    Transmission & Diff gearing sheet

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive
    Much appreciated, but the factory service manual can be found here:

https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/397en/index.htm

Sent from my iPad using BF.com
    -Chris
    My e30 build thread/color change here

My Cars
    85 M635CSi, 85 745i
    Thanks all for the feedback....

Quote Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
    Much appreciated, but the factory service manual can be found here:

https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/397en/index.htm

Sent from my iPad using BF.com
    I wasn't aware of this one, but have seen the E24 version. There seem to be two sources of online repair for our 80's BMWs. One is BMW North America and covers US models only, and doesn't seem to include the spec sheets. The other is BMW Mobile Traditions which seem to cover Euro models, though the spec sheets have data for all models. The https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/397en/index.htm link is the BMW North America flavor. The one I did is the Euro flavor (for selfish reasons?). But the Mobile Traditions info isn't perfect. There are a lot of holes. For example, even though a procedure is listed in the database, there might not be anything behind it. And many procedure steps are missing the picture. And the coverage in German is better than in English. See the data below. Right now I filter out the procedures without anything behind them. I am hoping to run the German through Google Translator to achieve a more complete English version. For now it is what it is...

E23 English
    Groups (e.g. Engine) 30
    Procedures Listed 771
    Actual Procedures 694
    Procedure Steps 4199
    Procedure Step without an image 330
    E23 German
    Groups (e.g. Engine) 31
    Procedures Listed 856
    Actual Procedures 776
    Procedure Steps 5319
    Procedure Step without an image 197
    Craig in MI

My Cars
    85 M635CSi, 85 745i
    Hey guys... I had to move this site to: http://bimmer-repair.net/index.php (used to be http://pacelinetechnologies.com/BMW_Repair/index.php )

Sorry for the inconvenience. The Google robot has been harvesting content from the repair manual and associating it with my company (Paceline), even though configurations are in place to tell them not to go there. So I guess even google doesn't follow the rules... Shocking!!
    Craig in MI

My Cars
    85 M635CSi, 85 745i
    Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread.

I finally updated the repair manual site referenced below to include the English translations of the German procedures. I also added a search feature that I hope is helpful (eg. search on turbo). The new version is here: http://3.23.88.137/index.php.

I might get another domain name (e.g. BMW_Repair.net) for this site, don't know yet. Then as now I did it mostly for personal convenience, as there are other Repair Manual sites out there based on the same info that come and go (as this one has!). Don't know if they include anything from the German manual or not. Either way, it's out there now under the above link for anyone that wants to use it. There is a Comments/Questions button to contact me directly if you are having trouble.

Since my repair manuals on CD only run on Win 95 or something about that old, I built a web version (http://pacelinetechnologies.com/BMW_Repair/Index.php). Its pretty basic at this point. I might translate the German into English at some point since there are differences between the two versions. There are more procedures in German than English for the E23. For example, there are about 6 or so procedures for the SLS in German. Nothing in English. Interestingly, the opposite is true for the E24, fewer procedures in German. Anyway, I know there are already several online manual sites for the E24 community, but none that I am aware of for the E23 community.
    Craig in MI

My Cars
    85 735i
    Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread.

I finally updated the repair manual site referenced below to include the English translations of the German procedures. I also added a search feature that I hope is helpful (eg. search on turbo). The new version is here: http://3.23.88.137/index.php.

I might get another domain name (e.g. BMW_Repair.net) for this site, don't know yet. Then as now I did it mostly for personal convenience, as there are other Repair Manual sites out there based on the same info that come and go (as this one has!). Don't know if they include anything from the German manual or not. Either way, it's out there now under the above link for anyone that wants to use it. There is a Comments/Questions button to contact me directly if you are having trouble.

Thank you for this