Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 320 V-JET Racing Car

My Cars
    E36 320i '91
    Wow, this is amazing :O Actually excited to see it finished!

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60
    Good day, guys! Step by step I'm going to the intended target. The 18th of April will start a national series and I want to catch it. Much remains to be done and much has been done. Today the suspension completely installed. The engine assembled almost. The next task will be to collect and hold the brake system and fuel lines. Parallel to this, we need to complete the work of wiring installation. Today I was working with the engine. Installing thermal gaps on dry tappets quite painstaking work. You see, I'm doing this work first time in my life, and I'm very "happy" that BMW engine has 24 valves ))) Howbeit, exhaust valves are ready to work now. Tomorrow I will get into the inlet valves. For this work I specifically ordered the shims, which passed heat treatment.Their hardness is above 60 HRC that will allow to keep the thermal gap for a long time. I used following thermal gaps in my engine: for inlet valves - 0,15 mm, for exhaust valves - 0,2 mm. All parts are new, and I expect that after working gaps will increase on 0,05 mm. And of course, a few photos for my friends:

I installed studs with lock nut on other side. At the same time I used a thread sealant.

Reiger forgot to drill hole for the rail of the hub ))) We fixed this mistake.

The shim on the valve.

Lubrication oil from Supertech performance.

Good luck and see you soon
    Last edited by Luckkeeper; 03-22-2014 at 06:12 PM.

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60
    Hi guys.

I'm still working on my racing car-rrrr Work in full swing, I spend almost all their time for the construction and and I start to feel tired...

For today the engine is in the car, the wiring is almost finished, brakes are in working condition, transmission is almost finished. We should to invent intake tract (from throttle to filter). Also, we need to install coolant expansion tank and then we will prepearing to first start. The closer to the finish line the harder work is progressing. It requires more imagination and ideas.

As to improvements, which I use in the car... I install M3 oil filter hause, M3 oil cooler and tract. Although if you go back in time, I would use a custom oil cooling system. Also, I used M3 radiator cooling system, because it was need for installing M3 oil cooler. And we made custom intake mainfold. It was necessary for balanced operation of the engine at a large valve lift. I had a lot problem before with OEM intake mainfold.

And of course some pictures for you, my friends:

The engine ready to be installed )

Last edited by Luckkeeper; 04-27-2014 at 03:25 PM.

My Cars
    E36 320i M52
    Maan, you gotta mount a camera onboard when testing and tracking this Can't wait to hear the sound of it!

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60
    Yahh, I will do that. We made first start, but the VEMS should be calibrated before the engine will work nice. I think, we will do this on the week. And I promise you the video )))

Nice! Congratulations on making first start, you must be pumped

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Convertible
    Looks great! I don't know who the crackhead was that chose to use hot pink and neon blue for paint color choices...

My Cars
    1997 328i Coupe
    Great stuff!

It must have been frustrating trying to TIG weld neatly all the way around those trumpets - there's no room at all for the TIG gun to move.

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60
    Hello my friends. We started tune-up process of the engine. The most important thing for right engine work is right ignition timing map. If sombody have the timming map of perfomance aspirated engines pleas share. Many thanks.

My Cars
    E36 320i '91
    api.thumbr.jpg

Any updates?

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60
    Coming soon )))

My Cars
    E36 320i M52
    I haven't logged in for the past few months. I logged in specifically for this thread and I'm so disappointed to see that no updates have been made
    Any news, mate? I hope everything is alright.

My Cars
    E36 328i
    Oh wow what an amazingly detailed build thread. I hope there's more updates soon!

My Cars
    72 + 75 2002's
    Superb work, appreciate the nice photos as well. You are definitely coming out swinging!
    Current_SeeDee 1972 Type 114 Luna 1975 Type 114
    Past___Veronica
    1994 e36 Le-Ah 1987 e30

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60
    Hello Guys!

I have not visited the forum too long and did not write anything, but it does not mean that I did not working on my project )))
    Today the early beta version of rally car is ready. But I still have to do a lot before starting on track. I was in a hurry in order to have time to go to the race. As a result, I got a hassle and did not start to race. I also made a lot of mistakes because of the rush, which now needs to be corrected. Most importantly, I learned a lot )))

Now, in order...

Before we started the engine first time we are faced with the problem. There wasn't oil pressure in engine. When I opened the oil filter housing it was clean without any trace of oil. I thought what the heck!!! The first day I spent on the purging of oil channels in oil housing and understanding how it works. Then I understood that I should check oil pump and oil main line. For this I should disassemble suspension and remove the beam of engine. When all assembled on rigid polyurethane hob it is very difficult to assembly and disassembly. Because it is necessary baits bolts in sequence and then tighten, squeezing all the arms together. Otherwise you will not be able to insert the bolt into its housing if you in front tighten of the previous arms. When I took out the oil pump he did not look the broken. I scrolled it manually and even pumped with the oil pump few volume of fuel. I was at a loss as all looked in working condition. It was decided to replace the oil pump as I have not seen other reasons. And I was right. After all collected and the engine turned ON oil began to fill in the housing. I wanted to find the cause and dismantled the old pump. Gears were normal. But when I dismantled a pressure reducing valve, he was jammed. I knocked a little on housing and piston with oil residue flew like a bullet, splashing my entire face. Here it is, the price of truth ))) After that it was possible to start the engine.

As you remember, I tried to tune VEMS DME for my car. This DME has very good opportunities to use all OEM sensors. But, the man who set up VEMS DME could not bring the car to a working condition. We started the engine, but didn't get stable work and did manage. The solution was to change the the customizer. I was advised of the new man, but he only worked with Corvette DME (ABIT Co. Russia). I had to re-braided motor wiring again and buy new DME and sensors. But in the end we did it, the engine earned, and the car went. Idle speed was 1500 rpm. With difficulty we finally went to the setup of the control unit (DME). At first, we whirled engine is not above 4000 rpm to configure transitional regimes. After we set up the fuel mixture and ignition at medium rpm the customizer gave the command - FULL THROTTLE. I should started from 2000 rpm on 4th speed. 2000-3000-4000-5000-5500 The engine work like OEM 2.0 M50 engine with minor failures. But on 5500 rpm and 100% throttle the engine stopped to increase revolutions. I thought, oh no, not again. It can not be the result of so many of my works. Adjuster changed something in the program on a laptop in the online mode and at some point the turnovers began to rise again. He said he made a mixture of poorer but filling of cylinders still was very weak. The engine gaining momentum very slowly. After 6500 rpm began clapping in the intake manifold and the car began to twitch. It was a moment straightening the flow of the mixture starts to work when the valves in overlap. This chaotic work continued from 6000 to 7000 rpm. And then... Have you seen the movie Mad Max? Remember when he turned the toggle switch in machine. After 7000 rpm we have been the same. As if the car was given in the ass. 7000-8000-9000-9500 !!! Turnovers were limited cut-off but as soon as it is reset tachometer needle again flew down. Engine sound was amazing! I have not heard anything more beautiful than a BMW six-cylinder engine in the 9500 rpm!

The joy did not last long. I heard like small stones flying and hit under the car. We stopped and checked everything under the hood. All were OK. We were continuing the tuning of DME. We again increased RPM and then BAM! In the car appeared couples. We stopped the car and opened the hood. There we looked the hole in the cooling radiator. At first I could not understand how its breakdown. I thought that some kind of stone hit the pulley and threw it to the radiator. But then I saw a big problem. Unscrew the crankshaft pulley. Two bolts sticking out sideways one bolt still held half in the thread. The remaining three bolts flew. One of them struck the radiator. I was very lucky that the pulley is not torn off. At 9000 RPM it would have turned into a crazy chainsaw under the hood. I started to lick their wounds. As it turned out, pulley bolts go into the thread only 5 mm. Anyone who has dealt with a highly RPM engines knows that pounds are transformed into tons and vibration destroys all weak connections. OEM bolts could work all time on 6500 rpm without any problem. I turned new custom studs with head of the ends and spun them on the reverse side. On the other side I tightened the nuts from BMW rack mount. At the same time I used red color threaded glue. So far everything is working and is no longer unscrew it ))
    After the first test, I immediately realized that there can be problems with the selection of the transmission. Operating range of the engine was 7000-9500 rpm. I was the shortest main gear (4.44) and used ZF 5 speed gearbox. When I changed gear I fell into the range of failure in 5000 RPM. In the same time, it was very high working diapason of RPM which would lead to breakages of the permanent. I did not want to spin the engine above 8500 rpm in general. In this case I went down when switching to even lower side in the range of failure. I tried twice to change the position of the camshaft, reducing the overlap. But it only got worse. Range failure was less pronounced but at the same time degrade the performance at high speeds. Everything was set uped and calibrated to operate at high RPM but we would not be able to implement them in the rally. Maybe in circuit track, maybe in future. I really liked this engine, but it had to rebuild to in order to be more flexible. Also, I'm not ready at that time was to buy a dogbox.
    So I started new steps.

1. We change the throttle. At first I used M60B35 big size throttle which provides maximum filling at 58% opening. My new throttle was BMW M50B25.
    2. We have produced a completely new intake manifold with longer channels, and a smaller volume of the receiver. This should work for the lower range of the engine working.
    3. New camshafts from CAT CAMS (1301159 282°/274° set in steel billet)

Also, it was necessary to fix a lot of little things about which I will not even write. I'm pretty tired of the constant construction and problems and for a while make break on few month.
    During these months, I struggled with Cat Sams and in particular with Mr. Ludo. A feeling that it was placed there to work, not in order to increase sales of the Belgian company, but in order to spend time their customers. I was gladly would have bought camshafts from another company, but Cat Cams camshafts have needed parameters, and other companies are not doing the same. And what do you think I even drove to this company in the suburbs of Antwerp in order to place. I drove 3500 km, and the old man did not even paid attention to me, like a bud I live right next door. I went there because he is responsible for several weeks and my email correspondence with him on account of the order camshafts lasted for several months. But these 3,500 kilometers were not empty. I traveled with my family (wife and young daughter). We visited Munich, BMW Museum. It's very nice place. I spent a lot of time looking at engines of BMW M Series. After that I went to Mecca for racers. It was Nürburgring. I just looked around and listened how Porsches wrapped around circles. I went there on a BMW E60 Touring 3.0D. It is not car for track day but one day I will beck on the other one.

Last edited by Luckkeeper; 12-22-2014 at 03:21 PM.

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60
    Two month ago ))

It was samsonas dog box. It woks perfect. I want it )))
    Last edited by Luckkeeper; 12-22-2014 at 03:29 PM.

My Cars
    332ti, XJ, Planet Expres
    I'm sorry to hear about your troubles but I'm glad to hear you're still working on it. This car will truly be a monster when finished.

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60

- - - Updated - - -

Now it looks like this ))) The building is continuing!

I have new problems and new solutions. As I said before I bought Cat Cams camshafts. They has narrower phase and a wider range of work. I hope that this camshafts set will be a golden mean for rally engine.

As you could see the camshafts have DLC coated on cams. This material has good friction properties and it's very firm. I was hoping to replace the camshafts set the thermal gaps and after that we planed to configure the DME. But this was not to happen. When I oppened the top cover of cylinder head and dissembled the previous camshafts set I was shocked. The followers were erased. Whereupon the cams of camshafts was damaged. We checked the stiffness of the springs but therewere OK. Thermal gap was 0,2 mm on all intake valves and 0,25 on all exhaust valves. It were enough for normal working. So the problem was in different friction properties of followers and camshafts. The followers are made of very high quality 4140 steel and are nitride hardened to aprox 990 Vickers. For your reference this is equivalent to aprox 68 HRc (Superficial Hardness) which very hard. The cams produced from more harder steel and have different friction kind. The cams erased the hollows in followers top. When contact patch was lost, cams began to destroyed itself. I think these followers would work well with cast iron camshafts but not with steel camshafts. I was not warned about this. But I worned the producer of followers about steel camshafts. Now we are discussing this issue with the manufacturer of followers. I hope we will solve it.

And So I had have the following:

1. Broken set of followers (-660 USD).
    2. Two damaged camshafts. It's very rare parts. I hope I could fix its by rounding the base diameter. While I do not have calculation of the repairing.
    3. Full engine fine metal dust. Dissembling the top of cylinder head. Whereupon complete replacement of oil and washing of the engine. Only losses on oil for more than 200 USD
    4. A lot of wasted time.

And it was just one wrong parts set.

Now I am thinking where to buy new followers set. I don't want the same problem again.
    Also I have some good news. I have got new intake mainfold )))

First start )))

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by Luckkeeper; 12-22-2014 at 04:14 PM.

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60
    Hi guys!

Happy New Year for everybody!
    The construction of the vehicle is continuing. I ordered CAT CAMS DLC followers set. I hope that DLC solve the problem with cams and followers for a long time. Also I ordered Samsonas dogbox and the steering rack with reduced number of revolutions of wheel. While I'm waiting spare parts I should fix other things. At first we modified the safety cage, because some rules of FIA appendix J was changed. We had to weld gussets of gain on the crosses in the doorways on the vertical pipe. When I faced with the problem of followers, I was checked the valve spring set. I had suspicion that the high rigidity of the spring could be the cause of failure. It was not the reason of problem with followers but I learned many new things. I began to study the principle of the valve springs working. I learned that each spring has a certain amplitude of working. Most often the working range is on the border of complete compression of the spring coils. After that I checked the spring on dynomometer to look how increase pressure proportional to the compression and measured min and max lift. I saw that in the basic state after beginning of the compression of the cam spring provides 10-15% of the maximum pressure. I think many people know this information, but I show it again on my post, because it was new for me. Valve spring should has certain preload to work properly. It's calculated very simple: the length of the compressed spring + max valve lift + termal gap. For exemple, I have the max valve lift - 12 mm, length of compressed spring - 18, gap - 2 mm. So the length of installed spring in the unloaded condition should be 32 mm. With OEM washers I had 38 mm. It was not good because on high RPM the valves could have lag on closing. This can lead to improper timing also to valve and valve seat damage. That is why I order custom washers to fix this situation. Bring the photo below.

Left side: STP spring and custom washers from both side
    Right side: OEM spring and OEM integral washer.

Best regards!
    Last edited by Luckkeeper; 01-16-2015 at 06:57 AM.

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60
    In confirmation of my words give below a quote from the specification for Schrick spring:

"All valve springs must have minimum 1mmclearance before ”coil bind” length at maximum
    valve lift!
    The installed height of Schrick valve springs must be
    adjusted according to the Schrick specifications. Additionally,
    the installed height must be measured and
    individually adjusted at each valve and for each installation.
    Example: The adjustment may be done by using
    washers as shims or by machining the lower valve spring
    retainer.
    The valve spring forces must be calculated for your
    individual application. Engine damage may result if the
    spring forces in your engine are to low or to high. The
    springs must be guided properly on both ends to reduce
    vibrations. Only springs which are properly installed and
    guided will be durable.
    When complete camshaft kits including valve springs
    and valve spring retainers from Schrick are available for
    your engine, we highly recommend using them because
    springs, retainers and camshafts are designed to secure
    proper lengths and guidance together with calculated
    spring forces for this application. You need to measure
    the clearance during assembly to verify that everything
    is within the Schrick specifications.''

My Cars
    m1
    Really nice project. I have always dreamed of making a rally racer E36 myself as well. But unfortunately I do have the time. I end up racing at night on country roads for personal pleasure. I get the car between 120-130mph and see how high I can get the car airborne.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Wow! Subscribed.

My Cars
    987 Cayman S
    Wow, awesome progress!

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60
    Hi!

I have just come back from Lithuania. And I did not come back alone ))) My 6 gear dog box and shifter are ready to install. Thanks a lot to mr. Martyanas and Samsonas Co. According to the manufacturer box withstand a load of 1500 newtons of torque.
    Also I have got new followers set from CAT CAMS. This followers set have a DLC coverage the same like in cams. I hope, it will work good without any problem. I will start to install all from Monday. I will come back with new photo of work.

Come back soon
    Last edited by Luckkeeper; 02-08-2015 at 01:38 PM.

My Cars
    96 328i, 92 318i
    HHRRNNGGGG.....

This E36 is sexy as all hellman, too much motor porn for me to handle hahahaha. Love that intake and great job so far! subbed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast