Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 320 V-JET Racing Car

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60

320 V-JET Racing Car

Greeting Guys!

I love to improve the vehicles. I try to make it faster and nimbler.
    When I get into the car, I firstly enjoy the sound of the forced engine. Then I press on the accelerator and car fills me with adrenaline and makes me happy. It's like drugs, you want faster and more powerful.
    But I didn't want become just a addict of tuning. I wanted to grow up together with my car. I wanted become faster than my car.

Before, I started form understanding general technical information. Than I bought a lot different parts and install into the cars. At first it was old Lada 21011. I built 1700 cc engine with two dellorto DHLA carbs. Install LSD and sport suspension. I was ahead of Honda Type R 2.4
    Then I built a 3200 cc engine for my BMW 528i E39. I got 264 PS. I was ahead of BMW 540i E39. But one day I thought, why am I doing this? I didn't want to participate in competitions on the street. Street cars were not more interesting for me like rivals. Also buying and installation of tuning parts provides short-term pleasure. After that I was empty inside. But I found the solution I started this project.

I'm building E36 racing car for rally competition and in the main for oval race challenge. Now you tell me, that it should be different cars. I know. But, we built maximum safety cage which meets the requirements of both disciplines in accordance with FIA Appendix J. I will use two suspension set and two main gear boxes for each disciplines.

I bought old E36 318i and started work. We turned it into a skeleton ))) How it was look before:

Then, we made cage:

Now this car looks:

New step and photos coming soon.
    Have a nice day!
    Last edited by Luckkeeper; 01-12-2014 at 04:14 PM.

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60
    Car specs:

1. Engine
    2000 cc
    M52B20 Aluminium block with iron liner.
    M50B20 ported cylinder head without VANOS
    ARP сylinder head studs
    BMW E46 WTCC 320 forged pistons
    BMW E46 WTCC 320 camshafts
    H-beam rods
    dry tappets and stiff springs (supertech perfomance)

2. Susspension:
    Reiger BMW E36 Gravel damper set 3-way adjustment with springs.
    Eibach pro kit stab
    Powerflex poliuretan bushes (black series)
    Adjustable rear arms

3. Transmission:
    OEM 2,8 ZF 5 speed gearbox (next year I'm going to buy samsonas dogbox)
    Custom clutch
    Main gear 4.44 with LSD

4. Brakes:
    OEM calipers with brembo sport max rotors. (I need to use mud 15' tyres)
    Wilwood pedals assembly and cylinders.
    Hydraulic handbrake.

- - - Updated - - -

Today I was installing fire-extinguishing system. Rally pilots told that it does not help much in the fire

I'm waiting for few parts for engine (chains, tappets, springs) and when I will receive I start collect engine.

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60
    New photo of engine parts.

- - - Updated - - -

As I said before, I will use BMW Motorsport pistons from E46 WTCC P54b20 engine. There are used pistons but in very good condition. I wanted to collect all together today (pistons+rings+rods) but as it turned out pins were too big. I ordered new castom pins because OEM pins too much wear. Producer made them very long. It will be necessary grind off a bit and then all to collect together.
    Last edited by Luckkeeper; 02-13-2014 at 04:50 PM. Reason: text correction

My Cars
    325iC
    Looks like a hell of a project, subbed!

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderCoverGuy11 View Post
    Looks like a hell of a project, subbed!
    Likewise.

Cool looking pistons. Meow!

My Cars
    E36
    very cool. Keep it coming!
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    '92 TRM E36 / '05 325ci
    Where'd you order the gravel dampers from? Have been looking for some decent ones for a while.

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60
    Tomorrow I have got my pins. The turner slightly increased chamfers, which allowed me to insert locking ring. Now all were collected together and I made few photo.

Also, I made the photo of WTCC pin and castom. You could see, how was decreased weight on it. The differance beetwen WTCC pin and my castom pin is 14 g. I didn't want to grind down my pins, because i know the allowable margin of safety.

I finished work, which I could do at home. It's very bad and cold weather now, and when it will change I proceed my job at workshop

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60
    The weather became warmer...The grass will green soon, and the trees will soon start appearing kidneys. Meanwhile in my car began to appear suspension

I used black series powerflex bushes for rear and front beams. As to shocks. It was difficult choice. On the one hand, it is the most expensive part of the improvements and at the same time, one of the most important in racing car. On the other hand, there are three major producers rally suspension and all of them good. I'm talking about Reiger, Ohlins and Proflex. All of them have the 3 way adjustable set for BMW E36. The cost is about the same. No-one reviews the pros and cons. But...I have read that some of the teams participating in the Paris-Dakar, Olins abandoned because of the constant failure in extreme conditions. And they went on Reiger. As for Proflex, they have less range of adjustment compared with Reiger. But Proflex is very good suspension too. Many people use it in rally. As to Ohlins I got the impression that it is well-advertised brand and you get a good quality only in top versions set for big money. So, my choice is Reiger and I hope it will be right.

And finally...

Hi all dreamers from the southern city of Odessa, Ukraine. Let's dream and go to dream. Without it, life is boring.
    Up to new meetings in the air

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Sedan
    Looking good man!

My Cars
    S600,750,325iS,LX470,QX4
    Really nice project. I have always dreamed of making a rally racer E36 myself as well. But unfortunately I do have the time. I end up racing at night on country roads for personal pleasure. I get the car between 120-130mph and see how high I can get the car airborne.

My Cars
    1995 318ti Clubsport
    wait, will the marks on the pistons cause a hot point for detonation?

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60
    I don't know

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60
    Hi guys!

This weekend I spent with the car. I should finish the car till April 2014, because this month will start Ukrainian Lemans Series. That is why I spent all my free time with my car. I collected front shocks. Their installation was required to drill additional three holes. I fixed front shocks on bolts and nuts, because there no place for studs. Today I noticed that the rear upper arms may hinder the course of the spring. Tomorrow I'll pruning them and provide a place for spring.Next step, I will order wheel studs and then finish with suspension. Also I started preparatory work for the assemblage of the engine. And of course new photos:

Have a nice day! )))
    Last edited by Luckkeeper; 02-16-2014 at 01:57 PM.

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60
    Today I have got a package from Supertech performance. This were last details, which I lacked. It was mechanical followers and performance spring set for my engine. On high RPM hydrical followers couldn't normally work. They do not have time to pick a gap. On the other hand OEM followers have too much weight. This could require stiffer springs.

Also I ordered wheel studs. They turned from the cylinder head bolts M30, M20. Steel is very good there.

And now engine ready to be complete ))

Last edited by Luckkeeper; 02-21-2014 at 04:31 PM.

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    Great project and attention to detail. Gotta love Odessa on the Black Sea.
    Vortech V2Ti Rebello Racing M62 4.9L E34. Not a race car, but a fun car.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    E36 320i M52
    Finally someone makes something out of the ugly duckling, the B20 ... I really look forward to this project, I'm really curios how much power you'll be able to extract from the 2 liter. But, how did you source those P54b20 parts? Weren't they super-mega-expensive? Any details regarding compression ratio, max. RPM, ECU?

Thank you!

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60
    It is good luck. You are right, this parts very expensive and only owner of original bmw racing car could order their. This is the term of supplying from BMW Motorsport. But one team sell the car (E46 320 WTCC), and they changed engine parts before. They installed more performance shafts and pistons for increasing compression ratio. That is why OEM parts in very good condition fell into my hands. I paid for them (camshafts and pistons) - 1200 USD. I was interested in piston because it gave me opportunity to order a replica in future and it ready to work in new engine in future. As to camshafts it is amazing. They are very light, valve lift - 10,5\10 mm but phase should be very wide. I never saw before such geometry of the cam. At the peak of the cam is straight, like square. I suppose that this is done in order to keep the valve in the area of ​​maximum opening. I will make photo and show you later.

P.S. I have never beуn close to politics, but now it applies to all in our country. Pray for peace in Ukraine, guys. (

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60
    As to compression ratio, it will be 11:1. Max RPM - 9500, ECU -Vems

My Cars
    E36 320i M52
    So, the compression will stay close to stock. But the rev. limit - 9500 rpm!! Damn, that will sound glorious! What abut the intake? I have an M52B20 myself and I was playing with the idea to stroke it to 2.3 liters (like the M20B23), but I don't have the time (nor the money) at the moment to do it. Also, finding an M20B23 crank (76.6 mm) might be a bit difficult and also may not fit. I don't know if it would be a perfect fit, but I like the idea of having a true 323 . Regarding the situation in your country: it is really concerning what is happening. I really hope that things get solved without further violence, especially when they might degenerate into an international conflict. And, being your neighbor from the south, we might get involved as well.

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60
    Hi guys! I proceed to collect the engine. Despite the problem with the broken stud of chain tensioner I confidently moving forward. Today I compressed the cylinder head studs and assembled valves. I used the OEM spring retainers because it have enough durability. They also will be more reliable than titanium retainers. Last has tend to be sawn off. The next stage will be tune the valves thermal gap. I'm waiting the shims for this work. It will be not easy and I will do this work first time in my life.

Few photos for you

I replaced with new all chains and sprockets.

For reference, M52 oil pump has a half times higher performance than M50 ))

The pistons are waiting for combustion mixture

Studs could help me to save thread at block as well as provide increased reliability.

Sport springs have less height and less than two turns compare with OEM.

The chamfer in the combustion chamber will reduce the likelihood of detonation.

As to camshafts... No comments )))

I have never had the pleasure of seeing such a detailed build thread play out in real time like this. It's awesome, and I love seeing the progress you make. Good luck! I can't wait to see the finished product. Also, all your pictures are super high quality

My Cars
    '95 525iT, '97 328is
    Awesome work

My Cars
    525E34,528E39,530DE60
    Thank you guys!I look forward to when it goes too. Especially the first engine start. This compares with the birth. )))

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast