Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: E36 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb race car build

My Cars
    E39 Wagon, E36 M3

E36 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb race car build

So, hi everyone, I'm Wil.

I started racing motorcycles several years ago, and while I wasn't particularly 'great' at it I managed to win some races and even an overall first-place regional class championship. In 2011 I got an Aprilia SXV 450, and shortly afterwards got turned on to Pikes Peak. I ended up racing in 2012, and had a heck of a hard time - but I finished! (If you'd like to read about that whole experience, the thread is available here: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...imb-experience Mods, if it's not allowed to post links to other forums I apologize, I looked over the rules and didn't see anything about it)

So, anyways, I learned a LOT my first year on the mountain...but the biggest thing I gained was the urge, or the NEED rather, to race a car up that sucker! While in the bar at the host hotel for the 2013 Hill Climb, I found a beat-up worn-out E36 M3 on Craigslist back in Houston, and immediately made arrangements for my friend that owns a wrecker to go pick it up. I don't remember how much exactly I paid for it, I believe the seller was asking $600 for it, so I gave Eric $600 and told him to haggle the guy down as low as he could and he could keep the difference - pretty sure he ended up getting it for $400. Either way, decent deal on a car that, while stripped, came with a (salvage) title.

(note: I haven't done a very good job of taking progress photos thus far, so some of these are pulled from my Instagram - I realize they're crappy low-res photos with cheesy effects on them. Good photos from here on out though, promise!)

We didn't waste any time stripping it and getting rid of all the 'extra' crap...

...and as luck would have it, the local European salvage yard took in an IDENTICAL M3 that same week, which we salvaged a door and fender from, as well as the engine/trans/rear end and every nut/bolt/fastener/bracket/etc that we were missing. It's only an S52, but it'll work for now!

This was in July of 2013, as the months have gone on and my budget has allowed, I've bought parts here and there. A few goodies:

Right now, the car is running and driving, and just waiting on a few more parts. We're receiving sponsorship backing from Sarto Racing, an aerodynamic manufacturer in Japan; as well as Ground Control suspension, and we hope to have the widebody fenders and suspension in by Valentine's Day. By then, we should also receive the weld-in cage (Kirk Racing cage from Bimmerworld) and the composite window kit from ACW Plastics in the UK should be here around the same time. Once we get the cage here, we'll be tearing the car back down to strip it, seam weld the chassis and install the cage, and install all the bodywork. While the engine's out at that time we'll be doing a full all-stock rebuild, as well as installing bigger injectors and a Porsche MAF.

We've got member access to two tracks here in Texas that we'll be doing testing at, and I've got hours and hours and hours of footage from the hillclimb; I religiously spend several hours a day reviewing course notes and footage, as well as driving the course in a PS3-powered 'simulator' that we've put together (which has been my first foray in to videogaming, I've never owned a console prior). My hopes are that my previous race experience on a motorcycle (which was TERRIFYING, by the way) along with my ability at what I do (I fix & build fancy/expensive cars for a living - see disclaimer below), that we'll be able to perform competitively at the race. I'm not going to have a huge, powerful motor or $15-20k in suspension, but it should be fun either way.

Since, after all, that's what it's all about - having fun!

I'll post more photos and updates as the build progresses! Thanks for reading

Disclaimer: I'm a professional, and I do this stuff for a living; I'm new here, but my intent is to share information, knowledge, and sweet pictures of BMW stuff here and there, as well as to chronicle my attempt to race my E36 up Pike's Peak. I am not here to promote myself or the facility which I work for, I am not here to acquire business, and I am not here to detract business from any of the forum sponsors. Under no circumstances should anyone PM me and ask tech questions, ask for pricing, etc - start a thread in an open forum and/or ask one of the site sponsors. I'm on this site for fun, not for business. Mods, if this isn't cool, let me know and I'll refrain from anything that isn't appropriate.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    First off, welcome!!! I already like where this is going. I think your e36 M3 is a great platform to start with, sounds like you have a handle on things. I look forward to following your progress.

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    Very cool! Where did you find that guibo (flex disk)?? I've been looking for one like that for years!!
    1996 328i (m52B28US) OBD1 euro ZF 5spd. 3.23LSD conversion / Chem. PnP Head/ DINAN stg.2 CHIP/ VAC race valves/ S52 cams/ A/C delete/ fan delete/ Washer Fluid resv delete/ ARP head studs/ Cometic 140MLS / VAC Solid Engine/trans Mounts/ CAI / 2.5"Borla race exahaust/ NGK R spark plugs, M50 Mani, S50 Oil Res, Riot Racing HFTB, SAMCO Hoses, JBR FW, X-Brace, Mtech Front Bumper, RE RSMs, stoptech SS lines, Bilstein sports, H&R Race Springs, S52 Reinforcement plates, Kosei K1 w/ bridgestone RE960as, Brembo/stoptech slotted rotors, M3 Trailing arms, M3 Calipers, M3 Axles, ACS strut brace, weight reduction.

http://mbuild.blogspot.com/

My Cars
    02 M3, 98 Civic
    Subscribed can't wait to see this. Good luck on your build.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe GT35R
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthbeam View Post
    Very cool! Where did you find that guibo (flex disk)?? I've been looking for one like that for years!!
    Revshift makes them, see here: https://www.revshift.com/shop/drivet...96mm/12mm-.php
    First TRM stage II of 2013?

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    OK Thanks for the info!
    1996 328i (m52B28US) OBD1 euro ZF 5spd. 3.23LSD conversion / Chem. PnP Head/ DINAN stg.2 CHIP/ VAC race valves/ S52 cams/ A/C delete/ fan delete/ Washer Fluid resv delete/ ARP head studs/ Cometic 140MLS / VAC Solid Engine/trans Mounts/ CAI / 2.5"Borla race exahaust/ NGK R spark plugs, M50 Mani, S50 Oil Res, Riot Racing HFTB, SAMCO Hoses, JBR FW, X-Brace, Mtech Front Bumper, RE RSMs, stoptech SS lines, Bilstein sports, H&R Race Springs, S52 Reinforcement plates, Kosei K1 w/ bridgestone RE960as, Brembo/stoptech slotted rotors, M3 Trailing arms, M3 Calipers, M3 Axles, ACS strut brace, weight reduction.

My Cars
    DV 95 M3/2/5
    Just a heads up, you might want to do a little research into that guibo before installing. It's been quite controversial in the past. The thread below is kind of a mess, but there is some good info, especially the OP mentioning a vibration problem but never coming back with a solution. Might want to PM him and see how it turned out:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...rce-amp-Review

I've never installed one or seen a car with one, so I'll refrain from bad-mouthing it; but, seeing as the stock flex disc is well proven, I don't see a reason to risk it.

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    OK thanks for the heads up, I almost ordered it too, I have the OEM brand spankin new, but if this product is superior I am all for it. Thanks again!

UPDATE..
    OK after reviewing the threads, it seems as though the revshift product is not the best solution out there versus the OEM product. Also, I have found another company that makes a much better flex disk with a lifetime warranty and I am wondering if it will mate with the E36 drivetrain. Here is the link to the said product..

http://www.function7.com/products/e46m3-guibo
    Last edited by stealthbeam; 01-15-2014 at 05:57 AM.

My Cars
    Black
    Great thread.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Boston Green
    Sub'd for impending awesome.
    BMW 1995 E36 M3 Luxury Pkg. (Bostongruen Metallic 275)

BMW 1999 E36 323is Sport Pkg. (Orientblau Metallic 317)

iSociety

My Cars
    E39 Wagon, E36 M3
    The general consensus on the Revshift solid guibo is that it's garbage, but I've yet to see anyone actually install one and test it. I'd seen the thread mentioned earlier - but like was mentioned here, there was never an actual conclusion that I've seen. I've got the stock guibo on now, if the Revshift gives problems when we install it I'll just take it off and report back here. I won't take "The internet thinks it won't work" as a reason to not use it though (no offense) - other than BMW and Mercedes, none of the high hp exotics I've built have used any sort of rubber driveline cushion...eh, we'll see what happens

Just got back from the shipping terminal at the airport from picking up the widebody fender set from Sarto Racing in Japan. Sarto has graciously agreed to hook us up with some of their new bodywork, which has AMAZING fit and finish - I've done Lamborghini front end retrofits with crazy high dollar aftermarket bodywork that hasn't been this high quality.

The kit is for a non-M, so I'll have do to some minor trimming on the front bumper panel to make it line up - but nothing too terribly complicated. The kit is also for a coupe, so I'm losing rear door function (who cares), we'll most likely weld panels in over the rear door handles, and we'll have to modify the fronts a bit to clear the doors...but, for the most part, I has widebody!!

We also got one of the carbon fiber wings that we'll be testing, shown here on my '72 Benzo:

A few more pics of mounting up the bodywork, we picked up this super ricey 'Bomex style' rear bumper on eBay - it's essentially a cheeseball version of what we're actually going for, so we're going to cut the lower 'diffuser' off and mount our REAL diffuser in place of it...AND it was cheaper than an OEM style aftermarket bumper!

I got composite front & rear bumper supports, and on the front I'm going to have the splitter hardmounted to the bumper and the bumper support, with a fitting on the lower subframe that the splitter will attach to under the car. I then put hood pins through the front support, so I'll be able to pop the hood pins out and slide off the whole front clip as one assembly - for easier loading on the trailer and quicker disassembly. Yay!

We also just received the window set from ACW Motorsport Plastics, they're located in the UK and make a REALLY nice set of lexan windows for the E36 sedan. We got all four door windows, both quarter windows, and the rear window (for Pikes Peak, we're required to run an OEM windshield). I got sliders put in both front windows, not sure why I got one on the passenger side since this is a one-seater...but, for something this minor I figured it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Got the fenders cut & welded up for the widebody today. I don't have wheel spacers or our suspension in yet (both should be here by the end of the month), but I have an extra set of Gallardo wheels kicking around the shop - so we stuck one in the back to see how she sits.

My Cars
    '97 M3/2/6 '01 996tt
    looking good dude!
    http://www.hardmotorsport.com http://Facebook.com/HardMotorsport

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Boston Green
    That is the most sexy E36 widebody I've ever seen. Sarto Racing widebody minus the front bumper, and a BOMEX rear bumper? Gawd, how much does something like that retail for?

iSociety

My Cars
    E39 Wagon, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ahardm3 View Post
    looking good dude!
    Actually just discovered you guys' site, I've got a good bit I need to get ordered from you here soon when the budget allows!

My Cars
    E39 Wagon, E36 M3
    More work done today, think I've decided to keep a rear diffuser to the same design as I'd originally planned, except with no rear bumper at all. Mostly, because this:

What's that rule about "Watch what the fast guys do" ?

Anyways, regardless of what I ultimately decide to do with the rear bumper, the spare tire well has to go. I'm going to keep the battery in the back passenger corner, so I'll have to reinforce that a bit beyond the sheetmetal that's getting put in today.

...and, of course, some Instagram pics with the Gallardo wheels mocked up:

This afternoon I'll be cutting a template from the spare tire well to weld in place, then boxing in the right rear corner where the battery will be mounted. Stay tuned!

My Cars
    1992 325
    Nice work done so far and I really liking the thinking with project.
    Subbed.

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    Very cool, Georg plasa was a great hill climber, may he rest in peace, Check out his E36, definitely one of my all time favorite E36s hands down.

Georg plasa E36.jpg

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by IDBracing View Post
    then boxing in the right rear corner where the battery will be mounted. Stay tuned!
    Why not do this:

My Cars
    E39 Wagon, E36 M3
    A bit more progress so far this week, haven't had a chance to get the new trunk floor cut and welded in; we were able to get all the solid rear suspension bushings put in, and we seam welded the rear underbody. We also went ahead and installed the new rear wheel bearings - lemme tell ya, there's NOTHING as nice as having a hydraulic press!

Getting these little guys installed SUCKED. Even with freezing the bushings and heating the subframe, they did NOT seem to want to go in there. Again, hydraulic press and a buncha flinching to the rescue!

We still have to go over the entire underside of the car and powerwash / clean everything, so pardon the not-spotless suspension bits

Also got our 996tt calipers back from machining, so they can be mounted up with the RallyRoad brackets once our new caliper mounting hardware shows up in a day or so.

Yay!
    Last edited by IDBracing; 01-21-2014 at 03:00 PM.

My Cars
    S4
    Awesome stuff, subscribed.

My Cars
    E39 Wagon, E36 M3
    This week has been minimally productive but maximally awesome...haven't made much progress to the car, but we've got a buncha cool stuff in!

First to arrive was a package from one of our sponsors, Liquid Image Co., who's providing us with some of their wicked little HD cameras to use! Much appreciation to them for supporting the sport! This is great, because the budget was only going to allow for one or two cameras with which to film everything, and we probably weren't going to have much (if any) video prior to the actual race week...now we'll be able to have FIVE angles to film from practice & testing in the months leading up to the race!

And then, yesterday we got two big ol' heavy boxes from Ground Control, full of even more awesomeness!

You'll notice that there are rear trailing arm bearings in there, as well as two different front control arm bushings (not sure yet which ones I wanted to use, so they sent me both!). I'd already purchased some solid front LCA bushings from Bimmerworld that I hadn't installed, and we'd already installed the rear control arm bushings that I got from Turner.

Now, a word about Turner Motorsports. I'm not going to sit here and bad mouth their products, because they're top notch; I will, however, complain about their customer service. I contacted them early on asking for information on their suspension and some various other parts, and couldn't get a response from them for the life of me. I spent a grand or so on the bushings that I ordered with hopes that I'd get a response back once I'd purchased something, yet again - not a peep from 'em though. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the products that I purchased from them and that have been installed thus far, as they're top notch - but their unwillingness to offer any support dissuaded me from doing any further purchases. So, enter Jay Morris and Donovan at Ground Control, who were generous enough to hook us up with the above pictured suspension setup - pretty much everything they make for the car! They included their rear trailing arm bearings as well, so it was out with the units from Turner and in with the GC's!

Yaaaaay!

The wheel spacers/adapters from Motorsport-Tech are scheduled to show up on Friday, and the current plan is to spend Saturday and Sunday getting the suspension on the car and, with the exception of the fuel cell, finishing up the underside of the car. More updates to come!

My Cars
    BMW's
    Progress is coming along great.
    Best of luck with the project!

Connect with us on: Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | Pintrest | Twitter | YouTube

My Cars
    1989 325is Spec E30 #109
    So much fun to watch people do things properly.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Boston Green
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeLenoch5 View Post
    So much fun to watch people do things properly.
    +1

iSociety

My Cars
    Der Kombi.
    Quote Originally Posted by IDBracing View Post
    Wheel spacers showed up today! Shown here next to a can of water for size comparison

It's going to be a productive weekend

I've heard from the internets that excessively large spacers can put some strain on the wheel bearings. Is that hearsay?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast