Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: E39 540i Touring Manual Conversion Checklist & Wiring / Coding

My Cars
    E39 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by StRaNgEdAyS View Post
    OK, preparing to get into the wiring now.
    Now, I'd read up on geargrinders' iconic write-up over at another bimmer forum, and while it's pretty comprehensive, there are some significant differences being a pre facelift vehicle.
    Firstly, there is no need for the start cut out on the clutch for my vehicle, (only a mandatory item for USA vehicles) so I didn't have to bother with that, and the connections for neither the reversing light switch or the cruise control cut out return to the DME.
    The cruise control cut out returns to pin 2 on connector X22 on the Cruise Control Module, under the drivers' kick panel. The reversing light switch goes to pin 25 on the IKE via connector X6021 in the electronics box. I'm hoping the pin in the electronics bay is connected to the IKE by default and all I have to do is retask an existing wire from the Automatic harness into the X6021 connector. It's going to be a pain in the butt to run a new wire to the IKE.
    The other difference from the post facelift write-up in the book of geargrinder is for the soft start feature, instead of splicing the wires from pins 6 and 40 together from the DME, it's pins 9 and 12 that would need to be joined. The wire running back to the gear position switch from the start relay can be connected directly to ground.
    From another forum... It was easier to find this and post it than dig though my paperwork... I'm packing up to move houses lol

- - - Updated - - -

I use Mozilla Firefox to access the WDS... it seems to work quite well with it.

My Cars
    1995 525i, 1997 Dinan 5
    Wow! these details should be added to the original post.. Awesome. Will test and confirm asap. Probably not tonight but definitely tomorrow.

I can't tell you how many java versions and browsers I've tried just to try to get wds to load just for those two wires..

So did you end up having to run a wire from the IKE or did you reuse one?
    525i / Dinan Tune / Morimoto MH1 HID / BC Racing Coil-over
    540i Dinan 5 / 6 Speed+M5 drivetrain / M5 HID / M5 Alcantara Interior

My Cars
    1995 525i, 1997 Dinan 5

I use Mozilla Firefox to access the WDS... it seems to work quite well with it.
    I think if the right version was ever installed it would remain working, however I don't seem to be able to get back far enough to the 1.6 series, or perhaps have a conflict with a newer version but I just get unsupported plugin in Firefox and chrome, opera, and constant warning/errors in ie on windows 7 ultimate which ultimately just bails.. No love in Linux land either. Have not tried on a Mac yet.

:/

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by madhakish View Post
    I think if the right version was ever installed it would remain working, however I don't seem to be able to get back far enough to the 1.6 series, or perhaps have a conflict with a newer version but I just get unsupported plugin in Firefox and chrome, opera, and constant warning/errors in ie on windows 7 ultimate which ultimately just bails.. No love in Linux land either. Have not tried on a Mac yet.

:/
    Guys, the latest Firefox with the latest version of Java works fine if you add the www.bmw-planet.com domain to the safe site list in the Java security settings.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    1995 525i, 1997 Dinan 5
    Wtf.. I should do less things at once.

*edit*
    Well it seems to be specific to the security whitelisting, I'm now up and running.

Thanks guys. Now I have work to do..
    Last edited by madhakish; 11-23-2015 at 10:47 PM.

My Cars
    E39 535i
    I ended up discovering mine was built 9/97 so it was a later model than I'd expected.
    RealOEM was giving me the wrong manufacturing date.
    The steps in the original write up suited my car.

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    one of these days i'm going to be not-lazy and make an e39 wiki to store all this info on transmission swaps, NBT retrofits, etc.
    that way as data comes in and stuff changes, it's always in one place with links to posts, instead of everyone needing to scan threads all the time
    Looking for an e39 Touring black carpet set, including the rear cargo cubbies and side sections!
    ALSO looking for 540i 6speed manual transmission sets (2001+ pedals with switches, driveshaft, gearbox), for the 6speed swap! Probably not for a while....

GN92489
    540i msport touring; jet black on grey
    Progress Thread (general)
    Progress thread (touring specific)

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    one of these days i'm going to be not-lazy and make an e39 wiki to store all this info on transmission swaps, NBT retrofits, etc.
    that way as data comes in and stuff changes, it's always in one place with links to posts, instead of everyone needing to scan threads all the time
    Something like Wikia or PBWorks might be a good idea.

In any case, tidbits learned today:

Reverse switch on the 420G looks like a standard Bosch/AMP/Tyco Junior Power Timer
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ch-wiring-info
    https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...121/ES2608981/

Zionsville uses a 1/4" NPT for their auto trans cooler fitting.

My Cars
    1995 525i, 1997 Dinan 5
    Alrighty guys, first of all thanks a ton for the replies and help. Been working out the wiring in my head all day at work, and now I've been going over the WDS diagrams for the starter control system for 12/1995 - 03/1997 e39's (mines 01/1997) for manual vs. auto for the last few hours. I've compared auto vs. manuel, and pre vs. post facelift and I think I've got everything mapped out between old and new. I made some diagrams to help visualize and hopefully it helps others get a better idea of what this looks like.

There are a few differences between the e38 diagram posted earlier highlighting the pin re-route but I think I've got that straight in diagram #2 below. Posting here to check my work and make sure my wiring logic is correct.

Original wiring of a pre-facelift starter control. Modified from the WDS diagrams to include the ignition switch to better match the original e38 dme bypass diagrams.
    540i pre-facelift 01-97 Original.png

Option #1 - DME bypass
    Based off the DME bypass Strangedays used for pre-facelift, based off the original blackknight530i/Trevor's e38 guide post earlier. This removed the DME but leaves the relay in place.
    Essentially Ignition switch pin 8 now supplies 12V to the relay instead of the gear indicator which supplies 12v in P/N only. Pin 4 is permanently grounded instead of switched by the DME.
    540i pre-facelift 01-97 DME Bypass.png

Option #2 - Manual Factory for pre-facelift - per the original geargrinder write-up
    540i pre-facelift 01-97 factory manual.png

This is essentially bypassing the DME altogether, and requires a heavy gauge wire from Ignition Pin 8 <-> EWS Pin 3 (auto's run an unswitched +12v to pin 3 on the EWS). Grounding EWS Pin 8, and shorting the wires at pin 6 and pin 2 of the relay effectively bridging EWS Pin1 to the starter directly removes both the DME and the Starter relay from the circuit.

Am I missing anything here or any glaring errors that can be seen?

I'm using the WDS diagrams: e39old/Drive/Engine/Starter Control/ and comparing start control of a manual against the start detection and start control automatic diagrams for 12/1995 - 01/1997 model years.
    Last edited by madhakish; 11-24-2015 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Image formatting went haywire

My Cars
    1995 525i, 1997 Dinan 5
    Confirmed - found the starter relay in the ebox (not under the dash). DME bypass to starter relay trick will work splendidly. Will post a pick and first start video once complete.

It runs!!

Pre 03/1997 e39 starter relay IS in the ebox unlike other models where its behind the glovebox. It in the top bank of relays and dme fuses. This is not documented in the WDS or literally anywhere else. I had a hunch, but had to trace back wire 1 off the EWS to confirm.

Shorted pins 6 and 2 on the relay with key at pos 2 and it cranked and started right up! Now I just have to find the ignition wire off pin 8 in the ebox, splice it to 85, and ground 86 and its done!

Last edited by madhakish; 11-26-2015 at 12:19 AM.

My Cars
    E39 535i
    That's great news!

My Cars
    1995 525i, 1997 Dinan 5
    That's great news!
    She runs!! Wiring complete. Took her for a nice drive to celebrate.

FWIW There's an ignition wiring bank at the far left of the ebox where ignition connector X33 terminates all it's wiring.. I spliced the black/yellow ignition signal wire to the blue/black wire off the relay (previously gear indicator signal), and grounded the yellow/brown switched ground to the common ground in the ebox. Two splices was all that was required. This was the option 1 diagram I posted earlier and works like a charm.

My Cars
    E39 535i
    That's excellent!

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by blarf View Post
    Reverse switch on the 420G looks like a standard Bosch/AMP/Tyco Junior Power Timer
    nice. I always like digging up the 'generic' parts equivalents.

Quote Originally Posted by madhakish View Post
    She runs!! Wiring complete. Took her for a nice drive to celebrate.
    Awesome man! Swaps FTW. When I did mine this was complete "mysteryland impossible massive work nobody will say how to do it" etc. and now its' becoming as well doc'd and straightforward as any swap could be.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    1995 525i, 1997 Dinan 5
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Awesome man! Swaps FTW. When I did mine this was complete "mysteryland impossible massive work nobody will say how to do it" etc. and now its' becoming as well doc'd and straightforward as any swap could be.
    Everyone made it sound like voodoo, programming eeproms in German, in hex, etc.. Honestly the hardest part was locating all the wiring locations since nothing in the WDS or anywhere else notes the right location of the starter relay. Finding this thread and the dme bypass trick buried within was the last nugget and it was a whopper.

Seriously, 2 splices right there in the ebox and it was done. Awesome.

Getting the exhaust buttoned up with a new magnaflow res and dynomax muffler as I type.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    I know right? There are older swaps running around that I know for a fact have crazy jury rigged weirdo wiring messes because it wasn't sorted out. Trevors super clean method is very very nice - my car is the 'facelift 540 factory style' because we basically just copied the WDS for facelift figuring that was the 'best way'... but honestly his is truly better way to do it.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E39 535i
    I know right? There are older swaps running around that I know for a fact have crazy jury rigged weirdo wiring messes because it wasn't sorted out. Trevors super clean method is very very nice - my car is the 'facelift 540 factory style' because we basically just copied the WDS for facelift figuring that was the 'best way'... but honestly his is truly better way to do it.
    Might I say, your write up has been an excellent reference to me with my conversion as well.
    Thank you for sharing your work

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    And also now that the cruise control can be functional with the 3:15 gears there really is no compromise anymore.
    Trevor
    01 749i sporty, build 12/00 "Sports Barge",S62
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F
    81 VW Rabbit Pickup 1.8T,AWW
    03 VW Passat wagon 4.0 W8 6spd

My Cars
    1995 525i, 1997 Dinan 5
    Moving to an m5 LSD next so this is very welcome news.

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    I couldn't live without cruise. Works great with my M5 LSD
    2003 Ferrari Red M3 3.5L wagon // 2011 Montego Blue tri-turbo 335d wagon
    2012 Deep Sea Blue X5d // 2003 Orient Blue 330i wagon
    In progress/For Sale: 2003 Alpine White M3/ZHP wagon // 2003 Japan Red M3/ZHP wagon

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    sorry if this has already been posted, but i found a PDF of the full parts list for an e46 manual transmission, including part numbers for grommets and hoses and clips and such.
    this isn't everything needed for the swap, just the transmission stuff.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...8&d=1436284848

if you ditch the LSD it's only $1600 in parts all told, but he did use a decent number of "parts car" parts that would probably put the total to more like $1800 if you bought that stuff separately
    this is with lots of new replacements as well, like a new flywheel and full clutch kit and most of the shifter assembly

obviously it'll be a bit different for a 540i transmission but this is a ballpark, and i believe a lot of the master/slave cylinders and hoses and stuff are shared
    Last edited by joekitch; 01-23-2016 at 01:49 PM.
    Looking for an e39 Touring black carpet set, including the rear cargo cubbies and side sections!
    ALSO looking for 540i 6speed manual transmission sets (2001+ pedals with switches, driveshaft, gearbox), for the 6speed swap! Probably not for a while....

GN92489

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    sorry if this has already been posted, but i found a PDF of the full parts list for an e46 manual transmission, including part numbers for grommets and hoses and clips and such.
    this isn't everything needed for the swap, just the transmission stuff.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...8&d=1436284848

if you ditch the LSD it's only $1600 in parts all told, but he did use a decent number of "parts car" parts that would probably put the total to more like $1800 if you bought that stuff separately
    this is with lots of new replacements as well, like a new flywheel and full clutch kit and most of the shifter assembly

obviously it'll be a bit different for a 540i transmission but this is a ballpark, and i believe a lot of the master/slave cylinders and hoses and stuff are shared
    So, I'm not sure how the e46 parts list applies to the e39 at all, unless you're doing a manual swap with a 525i sedan/wagon or 530i sedan. The transmissions are very different, as are the flywheel and clutch kit, transmission crossmember, etc. I am doing a 6-speed swap in my 530i sedan with an e46 M3 6-speed manual transmission and have a parts list that is compiled for it, including several parts that allow you to either run a V8 differential/driveshaft/axles or keep the stock I6 versions. I'll be posting it after I finish my swap hopefully next weekend. The parts list if buying all new genuine stuff (other than the transmission itself) can cost you upwards of $3500, plus the transmission, though you can save a lot of money on buying a LuK flywheel and clutch kit (almost $$1k right there) and getting as much used shifter and pedal parts as you can. Even with my prices at Morristown BMW, I'm still around $1500 plus the cost of the transmission (around $1100) for mostly new OE parts and only a few used parts. The point is, people should expect a swap to cost around the $2000 mark, no matter what kind they are using. If you're having to pay for labor, expect it to be considerably higher.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    oh i misread actually, the parts list is 540i specific (notice how the first item is the tranny, and it's for the 540i), the second page and beyond makes references to the e46....not sure why?

it's weird how that bimmerforums attachment link appeared in google but not the actual thread it was linked in?

GN92489

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yep. First page looks legit but the other stuff looks like stuff cribbed from an E46 project and really not useful/applicable.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT

Quote Originally Posted by blarf View Post
    nice. I always like digging up the 'generic' parts equivalents.
    What I actually ended up using was the connector from the thermostat on a 2001 540. This is basically the same connector as the crank position sensor (the CPS is keyed differently depending on the year, M62 vs TU I think). Meanwhile pedals from a 98 seem to hook up just fine on my 2001, but they were swapped over to the 2001's pedal box and the pot at the top was removed. The brake pedal attachment to the master cylinder is slightly different.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast