Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: E39 540i Touring Manual Conversion Checklist & Wiring / Coding

My Cars
    02 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Sounds good man - can't really tell you much about the old EWS, but here's a tip - load the Opera browser on your PC - it will let you load the Java to run the WDS from BMW-Planet properly.

It's cool we've gotten 3-4 conversions going since mine, thanks too to blacknight530i/Redshift/007008 for all their inputs to make stuff better... glad this has been good for people.
    This maybe a good alternative to WDS on BMW planet. It doesn't need any special web browser. Just enter the last 7 digits of VIN and you can access your vehicle's wiring diagram as well as repair manuals and technical data.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/
    Last edited by hrach1; 06-22-2020 at 10:39 AM.

My Cars
    S/C 03’ 540iM
    In the process of converting to an external/remote trans cooler since I'm going with a 6L80 in the next few months. How's the plugged alternator holding up 6 years later? I'd thought about converting the junction off of the waterpump to a 90 degree (as opposed to the "T" junction there currently) or connecting the outlet line from the alternator to the line that runs to the waterpump.

My Cars
    02 540 Touring, 2010 650
    Greetings

In a few days I will start my 6 speed swap on my 2002 Touring. I plan to use the thread as my guide.

I need to purchase flywheel and clutch kit, not sure if these kits comes with pilot bearing. Any suggestions for decent priced option?

Based on your experiences having completed this swap, what prep work can I do before starting the actual swap?

I know right side cat off exhaust manifold has a hairline crack right above the cat, my long term plan is to remove both front cats, my DME is already codes for the cat delete, but I need a solution to put in place if I cut out the cats.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 540i Wagon
    I'm just in the beginning of doing my manual swap. I just have a few questions about the wiring because I have a donor car.
    1. Can I swap the manual transmission wiring harness over to my touring?
    2. Does anyone have a picture of the wiring for the clutch switches?

My Cars
    02 540 Touring, 2010 650
    1) Yes you can swap the harness over, it will save you having to cut wires etc.

2) I don't but check YouTube. I did not connect my switch, I don't have to depress clutch pedal to start car.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 540i Wagon
    Ok thank you. Do you know if there are any other parts I can swap over to make it more seamless, because I have a doner car.

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    just stumbled across this video, how accurate is it for a 540i though?
    its seems quite easy since they just re-pin connectors and re-use existing wires for things

https://youtu.be/661e2CIQLFE
    Looking for an e39 Touring black carpet set, including the rear cargo cubbies and side sections!
    ALSO looking for 540i 6speed manual transmission sets (2001+ pedals with switches, driveshaft, gearbox), for the 6speed swap! Probably not for a while....

GN92489
    540i msport touring; jet black on grey
    Progress Thread (general)
    Progress thread (touring specific)

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    just stumbled across this video, how accurate is it for a 540i though?
    its seems quite easy since they just re-pin connectors and re-use existing wires for things

https://youtu.be/661e2CIQLFE
    Yeah... well Joe, knowing you've never been one for attention to actual detail, let me spell it out for you....

The "rewiring" he has here is the same rewiring I have spelled out in more accurate detail.
    I know you're sniffing around for "BUT THERE MUST BE SUM EEZEE WAY TO DO WITHOUT HAVE MORE WORK LOOK YOOOTOOOB!" but pretty much he's just saying all the same stuff. You need all the wires for the pedals (he suggests "taps" which blow and should be avoided at all costs). You still need all the coding. Yes there's some clever rewire repurposing you can do but that was never his idea, he's probably taken it from here, and to my knowledge the clever idea there comes from the E38 guys anyway - I definitely took it from them.

As usual, nothing new in that stuff. Just another guy regurgitating stuff he found like he invented it.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Yeah... well Joe, knowing you've never been one for attention to actual detail, let me spell it out for you....

The "rewiring" he has here is the same rewiring I have spelled out in more accurate detail.
    I know you're sniffing around for "BUT THERE MUST BE SUM EEZEE WAY TO DO WITHOUT HAVE MORE WORK LOOK YOOOTOOOB!" but pretty much he's just saying all the same stuff. You need all the wires for the pedals (he suggests "taps" which blow and should be avoided at all costs). You still need all the coding. Yes there's some clever rewire repurposing you can do but that was never his idea, he's probably taken it from here, and to my knowledge the clever idea there comes from the E38 guys anyway - I definitely took it from them.

As usual, nothing new in that stuff. Just another guy regurgitating stuff he found like he invented it.
    Not to mention their video is for a 525 wagon which was offered as a manual, while this thread talks about the stuff required for a 540 wagon manual swap. Yes there is a lot of stuff that is similar, but people shouldn't assume that a 540it manual swap is as simple as they say in the video.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    JC lives!!! What up, dood?!?
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    And it’s good to see that JC hasn’t lost his writing style!

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    Indeed. (Does anyone remember GG's "what I heard" paraphrasing from a post about automatic transmissions? I'd like to read that again. Funniest thing I've seen on the Forum by far.)

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    Just another guy regurgitating stuff he found like he invented it.
    well, at least you answered my question (yes, same procedure and flow but the wiring and coding specifics are slightly different) even if it was drenched in unnecessary self congratulatory snark
    and to my knowledge this is the first person to make an actual video of most of the process which is kinda commendable in itself
    Last edited by joekitch; 07-18-2021 at 12:28 PM.
    Looking for an e39 Touring black carpet set, including the rear cargo cubbies and side sections!
    ALSO looking for 540i 6speed manual transmission sets (2001+ pedals with switches, driveshaft, gearbox), for the 6speed swap! Probably not for a while....

GN92489
    540i msport touring; jet black on grey
    Progress Thread (general)
    Progress thread (touring specific)

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    So….., Just because some jackass plagiarist makes some youtube video, he’s a hero….
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    540i E39
    So does all the coding stuff work with a 97 540i? Want my car coded but all the experts are busy.

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by MilanE39 View Post
    So does all the coding stuff work with a 97 540i? Want my car coded but all the experts are busy.
    Where in the Netherlands are you?

My Cars
    540i E39
    Is there anybody that can give me clear instructions to remove the comfort start, my car has some weird things because of it. Ignition position 1 turns on the starter until key is set to position 0, position 2 makes the car comfort start same as pos 3. When i turn the car off the starter is activated for 10s and than turns off, i need to remove this but can't clear out the exact wiring steps for the 1996 pre vanos 540. I also have not yet wired the cruise control switch to lack off clear info. I hope someone can provide this info, i have sent GearGrinder & MadHakish an private message but i think my pm system is broken.
    Last edited by MilanE39; 11-22-2021 at 10:13 PM.

My Cars
    540i/6, 540i, 535i, 530i
    This was probably covered in one of these many pages but some input would be greatly appreciated... I have 08/99 540i/6 that was perfect until I was rear ended... My goal was to find another to swap in too. I now have 03 540i factory M sport with an auto tyranny on the lift side by side. Swap is accually complete now. Dropped the front subframe with engine and Trans. Then the rear. I having trouble with the wiring though I was hoping I can just transfer dme, ews and cluster, along with the new wiring for clutch sensor('s). I have the two when it should be the single 4 prong. I've done the suggested wiring from the guide and still cannot get a crank. I assumed no coding would be nessasary since, except for the smaller unrelated modules, everything would be installed with its proper module. I'm at a loss here and have no idea where else to go with this. Tommarow I shall attempt to realign. But if that don't work I don't even know where else to go from here. Any advice is appropriated thanks for all the help in advanced. And this was one of the best write ups I've read BTW. Thanks for sharing
    Last edited by 5bimmerse39; 12-01-2021 at 01:11 AM. Reason: FYI I'm running the Dinan 5 tune with all bolts on which is why I'd like to know if this is possible without recordin factory

My Cars
    540i e39
    Hey there!

This is my first post here and I almost finished my 6-spd 540i manual conversion. I already coded the IKE, EWS and DSC/ABS modules for the manual version.

Yesterday I started the DME job with WinKFP but I was unsuccessful. The car is a Euro 540i sedan MY02.

My DME HW nr is 7532675 and I tried flashing the ZB versions 7533592 and 7539328 as mentioned by OP Geargrinder but none of these worked, car did not cranked after flashing. I flashed back the original ZB and car came back to life.

What am I missing?

Thank you
    Last edited by fknapp; 01-05-2022 at 09:47 AM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540it
    Just thought I should pay my respects and thank Geargrinder for such a thorough original post and also everyone who has contributed useful information throughout the years. I was able to squeeze some time in over the holidays to do the swap in my wagon and this forum made the swap quite painless!

Mechanical side is very straightforward but all the info was still very useful. All the part numbers provided for the odds and ends made ordering everything easy. The wiring updates were clear and provided information as to why the changes were needed making it much easier to understand, and with little-to-no prior BMW coding experience, the coding could not have been more clear and easy to follow.

Again thank you very much Geargrinder, the info in this forum is very much appreciated!

My Cars
    BMW E39 540iA 2002
    Is there anybody who solved key interlock? when i remove auto shifter and unplug wire between auto shifter and ignition then i can't remove the key from ignition. When i take screw driver and press into hole where was the wire from auto shifter, then i can remove the key. from ignition. Probably i need ignition case from manual?

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by thinksonix View Post
    Is there anybody who solved key interlock? when i remove auto shifter and unplug wire between auto shifter and ignition then i can't remove the key from ignition. When i take screw driver and press into hole where was the wire from auto shifter, then i can remove the key. from ignition. Probably i need ignition case from manual?
    Leave the cable attached to the column and hide the rest behind the center console and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    BMW E39 540iA 2002
    thanks for usefull reply! Do you know, is possible to run manual transmission with automatic steering angle sensor? ETK says, that there si some difference between manual and automatic steering angle sensor. I haven't found any info about steering angle sensor if this sensor should be used in manual transmission.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by thinksonix View Post
    thanks for usefull reply! Do you know, is possible to run manual transmission with automatic steering angle sensor? ETK says, that there si some difference between manual and automatic steering angle sensor. I haven't found any info about steering angle sensor if this sensor should be used in manual transmission.
    Yeah, the SAS doesn't care about the transmission. You will want to code the DSC to a manual though.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

-Paul

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    I am still amazed how much more simple my swap was because it was pre facelift:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...swap-on-my-528
    I have read through the thread and I pretty much didn't have to do any of the coding.
    I did few simple things with Pa soft and voila, she came to life.
    2010 BMW M6 SMG Coupe * Black Saphire Metallic * Full Leather Merino Black
    2019 BMW X3 M40i * Alpine White * Mocha Leather
    Former:
    1997 BMW 532M (528i with 3.2 S52 engine from E36 M3 / 5 speed manual)
    1998 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    2003 BMW M5

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast