Thread: E36 Sedan Race Seat Mounting - need Low and to the Tunnel

My Cars
    Too many...or...NOT

E36 Sedan Race Seat Mounting - need Low and to the Tunnel

Hey everybody,

Putting a cage in my E36 Sedan as we speak..and "test fitment" for driver seating has issues:

Equipment: Momo Halo Seat with Sparco Side Mounts and 1/4" Aluminum Plate Base

Situation: I am about 1" too far left...i.e. towards the door/B-Pillar. I am also a bit too high for comfort of the bars to be put in....I'd like to be about 3/4-->1" lower

Solutions being considered:

1 - Notch Trans Tunnel - Don't want to do this - I see an example as below....more concerned with the CSB Mounting and major fab needs for my cage builder.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...c-Region/page2

2 - Find some offset/lower seat mounting solution

These mounts from Motion Motorsport seem attractive, but I can't find any references on clearance with a Cage Installed

http://motionmotorsport.net/products...products_id=50

3 - Drive without a helmet....Just kidding..

I've been surfing the forums/internet for pics/solutions for an E36 Sedan for about 3 hours....I'm coming up short.

Anyone have some experience/pics/ideas?

Thanks in advance!!
    Nitin G. Shanbhag
    BMWCCA #101510
    87 951, 88 M3 2.5, 88 E30 S52 Project, 95 M3/2 Slicktop, 96 E36 "TrackBeater", 97 M3/4 Slicktop, 97 TJ, 98 M3/4 Daily, 00 F150 7700
    E36 TrackBeater Project Thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=884145

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    My solution was to fab side mounts that bolt directly to the stock seat anchor locations. Seat can't be installed any lower than this without modifying the floor, and put my Evo fatass seat within 1/4" of steering wheel center. Plenty clearance with X door bars.

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    GTS2/3 325is
    See the image below. This is how we solved the same problem...cut 22 inches out of the trans tunnel and wled in a custome seat mount. It's very strong and allowed us to get the seat perfectly centered on the controls. We also sit lower than any other e36 I've seen. The bottom of our OMP WRC is touching the floor.

IMG_244029329443390[1].jpeg

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    See the picture below for how my cage builder solved it. This put my seat in a perfect position (it's a Recaro Pro Racer HANS). The other plus to this solution is that you tie the seat to the cage. In a crash, the result is that seat and belts move together (if the seat is bolted to the floor pan, theres a chance that the seat will move while the belts remain stationary).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kahl23; 01-06-2014 at 12:58 PM.

My Cars
    GTS2/3 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahl23 View Post
    See the picture below for how my cage builder solved it. This put my seat in a perfect position (it's a Recaro Pro Racer HANS). The other plus to this solution is that you tie the seat to the cage. In a crash, the result is that seat and belts move together (if the seat is bolted to the floor pan, theres a chance that the seat will move while the belts remain stationary).

I like this design too. They key is just getting the seat as low as possible and getting it over to the right an inch or so.

-Ryan
    Ryan, Milwaukee WI - 93 325is

My Cars
    Too many...or...NOT
    I think i'm going to try the Motion Motorsports Seat Mounts first....then ..if I need...which I might...get the tunnel notched (uggh).
    Nitin G. Shanbhag
    BMWCCA #101510
    87 951, 88 M3 2.5, 88 E30 S52 Project, 95 M3/2 Slicktop, 96 E36 "TrackBeater", 97 M3/4 Slicktop, 97 TJ, 98 M3/4 Daily, 00 F150 7700
    E36 TrackBeater Project Thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=884145

My Cars
    99 528i ,94 325i,03 350z
    Quote Originally Posted by AirDoc View Post
    I think i'm going to try the Motion Motorsports Seat Mounts first....then ..if I need...which I might...get the tunnel notched (uggh).
    from a fabrication point of view that solution Kahl posted is mighty nice thinking , nothcing that trans tunnel is wayyy more work that what Kahl posted. basically do the same thing and use square tube ending the piece instead of continuing on to tie into the cage.

stop by the shop and ill whip it out for you mayby three hours and your on your way
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertFontaine View Post
    . a bmw .. enthusiast will dump 30k into their 15k cars and sell them for 10k when they run out of cash or get bored and want to do it all over again. A 10k bmw needs 5k in work and a 5k bmw probably needs 10.
    thats me

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    You should avoid notching the trans tunnel if at all possible. A lot of classes don't allow you to modify the chassis like that and it's a hell of a lot more work than fabbing up a custom seat mount. If your class won't allow you to tie the seat into the cage (e.g. because you are limited to a certain number of cage attachment points), then you should do what dumblucky suggested. There's a thread somewhere on here (I can't find it right now for some reason) where a bunch of guys posted pictures of their seat attachments, a lot of who did what dumblucky is talking about.
    Last edited by Kahl23; 01-08-2014 at 03:33 PM.

My Cars
    84 323I
    I just did a seat mount for an E36 a couple of months back. Make my own side mounts for E36s and move it over and down. I have another E36 here that I am doing seat mounts tomorrow. I try to remember to take pics.
    Owner of 84 323i and Race Car fabricator!!

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Quote Originally Posted by cagedruss View Post
    I just did a seat mount for an E36 a couple of months back. Make my own side mounts for E36s and move it over and down. I have another E36 here that I am doing seat mounts tomorrow. I try to remember to take pics.
    Yes, I've been posting this here for years, not difficult at all.

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    Too many...or...NOT
    Quote Originally Posted by cagedruss View Post
    Thx - I look forward to the pics.

The main issue is that the seat is a bit large..and with me, Race Suit, Helmet and Cage estimations..I don't have the space from the cage halo as I would like. First try will be the mounts....last resort will be tunnel notching. I had no issue before with a non-halo seat..other than being a bit off center...every seat is so different in curvature/mounting...makes for a repetitive topic..ohh the fun.
    Nitin G. Shanbhag
    BMWCCA #101510

My Cars
    GTS2/3 325is
    Thx - I look forward to the pics.

The main issue is that the seat is a bit large..and with me, Race Suit, Helmet and Cage estimations..I don't have the space from the cage halo as I would like. First try will be the mounts....last resort will be tunnel notching. I had no issue before with a non-halo seat..other than being a bit off center...every seat is so different in curvature/mounting...makes for a repetitive topic..ohh the fun.
    We had the same issue of being too close to the roof bars with a helmet, suit, ect on so we had to notch the tunnel. Our seat is as low as it can go (its touching the floor) and we have just about and inch between my helmet and the roll bar padding.

As far as classing goes...BMWCCA would probably have an issue with notching the tunnel but NASA shouldn't. It's a safety issue in my mind...being too close to the cage bars and being offset from the controls.

-Ryan
    Ryan, Milwaukee WI - 93 325is

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5
    Let see some pictures of how the seatbelt mounting is for the tunnel side.
    That seems to be a tricky thing for me right now and is limiting how far over I can get my seat. (Street car with full interior though) To get my seat over further to the right, I'd have to take out the carpet. To center the seat on the wheel, I'm pretty sure I'd have to dent in the trans tunnel or bolt that portion to the trans tunnel with a support plate on the other side. Maybe both would get it centered. Not gonna happen on my car until I go full race. My sparco EVOL/2 is already shaved on the front right bolster to be able to squeeze it tight to the trans tunnel. Was Previously done to fit into a S2000.

right side belt setup.JPG
    Last edited by berny2435; 01-09-2014 at 12:07 PM.
    98' M3/4/5 - Boston Green / modena
    Forever in process - DD/AutoX/HPDE

My Cars
    1999 m3 and 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahl23 View Post
    Bumping this thread back up. I'm having the same issue as was originally posted being 6'7 and running a Racetech 4119WTHR. Unfortunately many of the photos are no longer appearing here, including the one that Kahl23 posted quoted above.

So, looking for anyone with pictures so I can get ideas. Currently I'm using Vac plates with Motion Sidemounts. It's low, but I would like to go lower and more centered so my seat won't hit door bars and head won't hit the a-pillar bar. One consideration with the Racetech is that the underside of the seat drops down in the back. So at some point that low part will hit the rear inboard seat mount in the chassis.

I've been searching, but if anyone would be willing to post pictures of their custom sea mounts, notched tunnels, etc. it would be helpful.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by 5speed300 View Post
    Unfortunately many of the photos are no longer appearing here, including the one that Kahl23 posted quoted above.
    Kahl's pic in post #4 is showing fine for me.

Neil

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    Kahl's pic in post #4 is showing fine for me.

Neil
    Ditto.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Quote Originally Posted by 5speed300 View Post
    Bumping this thread back up. I'm having the same issue as was originally posted being 6'7 and running a Racetech 4119WTHR. Unfortunately many of the photos are no longer appearing here, including the one that Kahl23 posted quoted above.

So, looking for anyone with pictures so I can get ideas. Currently I'm using Vac plates with Motion Sidemounts. It's low, but I would like to go lower and more centered so my seat won't hit door bars and head won't hit the a-pillar bar. One consideration with the Racetech is that the underside of the seat drops down in the back. So at some point that low part will hit the rear inboard seat mount in the chassis.

I've been searching, but if anyone would be willing to post pictures of their custom sea mounts, notched tunnels, etc. it would be helpful.
    I don't have a cage, but I'm 6'2" with an OMP HTE-R seat that's sitting on Motion Motorsports side mounts and Bimmerworld floor mounts. It's pretty damn close to the tunnel, it's centered over the wheel and it feels pretty low to me.

I went with the Bimmerworld floor mounts because they have more threaded holes for adjustment than any of the other designs I've seen out there including VAC, Garagistic and Macht Schnell.

I hate to crosslink but you can see my seat set-up in my build thread over on m3forum: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...&postcount=356

My Cars
    E46 330 ZHP, E36 328i
    I just went over this with my new race car build (E36 M3).
    I have the RaceTech Wide only.
    I know the Tall and Wide is wider by almost an inch because I tried fitting it.
    I'm 6'1 at 210 lbs.

In the end the trans tunnel was notched by about 2 inches and I used the RaceTech seat mount bolted to a 3/8 or steel bar laid flat in the shape of a square that is fixed using the original attachment point. I'm taking the time to describe it as I forgot to take pictures when I removed the seat. I obviously have no sliders. I tried other mounts but not the motion Motorsport.

As is, the left shoulder pad of the seat touches the front door panel. I'm as low as I can be. Sigh line just above the dash. You would fit in my car without touching the cage with your helmet but the Tall and Wide would not fit in a sedan without gaining grounds on the trans tunnel. Maybe with the coupe but not the four door.

I have yet to race with the RaceTech seat but the fit is amazing. It feels like the seat was actually molded to me.
    And when you see how much my head got wiped back and forth in a standard halo seat (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTB5ZqxOwic ) I really like the safety of having the seat fixed at the shoulders.

PM me if you want pictures. Photobucket is p... me o.. these days.
    Good luck and assume that any car on the side of the track has spewed crap on the racing line...
    Last edited by Franky goes; 01-04-2020 at 02:58 PM.

My Cars
    1999 m3 and 740iL
    Appreciate the response, that looked like a nasty hit!

I'll PM you about pictures, would be great to see your setup. Were the original seat mounts cut out of the car?

I'm trying to stick with a coupe mainly for the larger window opening should I need to climb out, as well as less likely for the B pillar to interfere with how far back my seat is mounted. I love my Racetech and tried a number of seats before I found the one I like, so I definitely want to keep it.