Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual Shear Selector Rod (DSSR) DIY

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30

Dual Shear Selector Rod (DSSR) DIY

A while ago I posted about a home made Dual Shear Selector Rod (DSSR). I needed to build one for an upcoming 5 speed swap and decided to take some pictures.

I build these using some 1"x1" x 1/16" mild steel square tubing, some 1/2" ID stainless tube tube, 2 square nuts and some 1/2" threaded rod. I picked up the square and round tube as scrap, the threaded rod and nuts are form Home Depot... so the materials are very inexpensive. I think I spent about $11 dollars and I only spent that much because of the stainless tube. The 10mm x 40mm bolts and lock nuts will be used to secure and add "drag" to the shifter linkage once installed. I suppose this could be done without the threaded rod, but it helps with set up and adds weight to the rod. I feel this weight adds to the "mechanical" feel of the shifter.

I laid out the four holes, two of which will become slots, and drill everything before cutting the two ends apart from the work piece. I like working with these step bits as the next size up cleans up and chamfers the holes nicely.

Two holes drilled at 7/16" for the bolts. The other two holes are drilled to 1/2". These two will become slots.

The band saw makes easy work to clear out the material for the slots, but this can be done with a hack saw or a cutting wheel.

Holes and slots done. time to separate the two ends.

Again the band saw is a time saver.

I was working with a short piece of material so I needed a bit of help holding the work piece.

Ends are done.

Nuts are set up and ready to weld

1/2" square nuts welded in place. I should have taken the time to remove the zinc plating... the welds would have have less contamination.

Time to insert the threaded rod and set the length.

Threaded rod is marked and ready to cut. Notice I left the end piece threaded. This helps "clean" the end thread so it's easier to thread the rod back into the end.

Double check the length using the original shift rod. Nice thing about the threaded rod is that by turning the ends you can dial in the length.

I measured distance between the two ends, in this case 7 7/8" or 200mm. This selector rod is for an m30/Getrag swap.

I use a tubing cutter to get clean square cuts. Again, this could be done with a hack saw.

I also use a counter sink bit to de-burr the inside. Using a tubing cutter leaves a lip that does not allow the threaded rod to slide through. It's a rather precise fit.

Next I assembled the DSSR pieces and used the original selector rod as the jig to hold everything square. The washers are added to the pins on the factory rod to sit the ends square to the rod. Clamped and ready to weld. (to the left in the pic... cleaned and painted LSD diff waiting patiently)

Top shot of alignment, here you can really see why the washers are important. These same washers will be used to install DSSR.

All welded up and ready for paint. By no stretch of the imagination do I consider my self a welder, so please be kind on "weld quality" comments.

For paint I used a gloss silver then top it with a matte clear. It produces a dull, textured finish almost as if it had been bead blasted.
    ''

Here's a close up of the paint finish.

So all that's left is to install using the 10mm bolts with Ny-lock nuts. By using the Ny-locks you can introduce "drag" which gives the shifter that "notchy" feeling. The other nice side effect is that as parts wear, I can add a bit of drag and retain the tight feel. I built one of these for the Touring when I did the 5 speed swap and 20k miles later it still feels great.

This picture is of the DSSR I built for my son's e28 track car. This one is shorter as it's on a ZF320z trans.

Well that's it. Thanks for looking.

My Cars
    1992 5er M50NV
    bookmarked

My Cars
    e30 335i M30 powered
    Very nice! Do you mind if I copy and past this (with attribution) to another BMW forum?

My Cars
    87 325is, 88 M3, 95 525i
    Wow, awesome
    1987 325is
    1988 M3
    2007 335i

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    I've helped with the machining for a DSSR for another member that he welded together, but your approach is much cheaper and more accessible to others. Great job!

My Cars
    1994 BMW 530i Touring
    very nicely done!
    Sergio

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Toes View Post
    bookmarked
    Cool. I hope it serves you well.

Quote Originally Posted by george graves View Post
    Very nice! Do you mind if I copy and past this (with attribution) to another BMW forum?
    Thanks. No problem, spread the love... lol. It's all about helping each other.

Quote Originally Posted by enigmaticdream View Post
    Wow, awesome
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 93FIM5 View Post
    I've helped with the machining for a DSSR for another member that he welded together, but your approach is much cheaper and more accessible to others. Great job!
    Thanks. "cheaper and accessible" is exactly what I was going for.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheche View Post
    very nicely done!
    Thanks

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Great fab work. If I may presume to suggest an improvement; A shoulder bolt through the ends to prevent the threads from tearing up the bushing of the shift lever and whatever that wobbly sucker at the trans end is called.
    I need to learn to weld.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Great fab work. If I may presume to suggest an improvement; A shoulder bolt through the ends to prevent the threads from tearing up the bushing of the shift lever and whatever that wobbly sucker at the trans end is called.
    I need to learn to weld.
    Thanks. Great suggestion. I will source shouldered bolts.... and definitley on the "learn to weld" This has opened up my capacity to work tremendously. I am now building my own tools as well as fabricating small bits and pieces. The band saw I used is a HF portable converted to a table top that I built. Currently building a table top 4 ton press and a new welding cart. My wife knows I exist, but only because of all the noise I make in the garage
    Last edited by LouieD; 01-03-2014 at 11:56 AM.

My Cars
    Suck
    Did you slot both ends just so it could bolt on either way? Looks like a nice piece, should get it plated or powder coated.

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    Quote Originally Posted by Binjammin View Post
    Did you slot both ends just so it could bolt on either way? Looks like a nice piece, should get it plated or powder coated.
    The slots do allow it to mount either way, plus they create the clearance for the shifter requires. Also the "wobbly" bit at the trans is round at top and bottom, so the slots clear that bit as well. I thought about the powder coat but local shops have a $100 minimum so at that point I loose the "inexpensive" benefit of the project. Also I'm in so cal so road salt and snow are not a problem.

My Cars
    Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by LouieD View Post
    The slots do allow it to mount either way, plus they create the clearance for the shifter requires. Also the "wobbly" bit at the trans is round at top and bottom, so the slots clear that bit as well. I thought about the powder coat but local shops have a $100 minimum so at that point I loose the "inexpensive" benefit of the project. Also I'm in so cal so road salt and snow are not a problem.
    I hate you. Bring me some of that weather.

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    I hate you. Bring me some of that weather.
    lol. I'm struggling over here.... 72 and sunny today... perfect "fab something else" weather.... although the 10 day said it might get down to 69 soon

My Cars
    BMWs
    Good DIY. This is the DIY one I did. I had greg machine a part I designed:

DSSR Welded and Finished by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

Did it out of solid 304L stainless for weight and corrosion reasons. I also machined pins that use factory clips and nylon washers, and made a bearing grade brass insert for the shift selector junction:

Shift linkage bushing by Jon Kensy, on Flickr
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 01-03-2014 at 02:45 PM.

My Cars
    Suck
    lol. I'm struggling over here.... 72 and sunny today... perfect "fab something else" weather.... although the 10 day said it might get down to 69 soon
    if you reversed the 72 to a 27 it would still be more than twice as warm as it is here today.

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Good DIY. This is the DIY one I did. I had greg machine a part I designed:

DSSR Welded and Finished by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

Did it out of solid 304L stainless for weight and corrosion reasons. I also machined pins that use factory clips and nylon washers, and made a bearing grade brass insert for the shift selector junction:

Shift linkage bushing by Jon Kensy, on Flickr
    WOW. That is nice! Wish I had that kind of equipment available.. and those welds... someday I'll get there. Well at least I'm on the right track. Great minds think alike

My Cars
    BMWs
    WOW. That is nice! Wish I had that kind of equipment available.. and those welds... someday I'll get there. Well at least I'm on the right track. Great minds think alike
    Thanks! Yeah I TIG'd mine which is why the welds look the way they do. I have a small lathe available at my home so that makes anything cylindrical easy for me to machine otherwise I have to use machines at friends or have other peoples help. Though, I am working on that lol. I made my DSSR because no one offered one for an E34 w/ a ZF310Z. It made a good difference. Mine weighs like 10 lbs lol.

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    Thanks! Yeah I TIG'd mine which is why the welds look the way they do. I have a small lathe available at my home so that makes anything cylindrical easy for me to machine otherwise I have to use machines at friends or have other peoples help. Though, I am working on that lol. I made my DSSR because no one offered one for an E34 w/ a ZF310Z. It made a good difference. Mine weighs like 10 lbs lol.
    Yep, I think the weight helps with the throw. 2014 plans call for a small lathe as well and a re-organizing of the garage into more of a machine/fab shop rather than repair/storage facility.

- - - Updated - - -

if you reversed the 72 to a 27 it would still be more than twice as warm as it is here today.
    Damn...

My Cars
    '87 e24
    Just saw this.
    AWESOME!!!
    thank you for the detailed pics and great write up. Will be trying this soon.

My Cars
    97 Mtech 318ti
    Would you be willing to make one in raw finish?

My Cars
    Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroHB View Post
    Would you be willing to make one in raw finish?
    Are you going to put it in raw?

My Cars
    1991 E30
    Hello. I know it’s been 5 years since this but I was wondering if either LouieD or 5mall5nail5 is willing to make me a DSSR for a reasonable price?

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcawada View Post
    Hello. I know it’s been 5 years since this but I was wondering if either LouieD or 5mall5nail5 is willing to make me a DSSR for a reasonable price?
    Sorry man - I just installed lowering springs today after owning them for 2 yrs. I am out!

My Cars
    1991 E30
    [Lmao. I feel you brother. Thanks for responding though

My Cars
    1991 E30
    Sorry man - I just installed lowering springs today after owning them for 2 yrs. I am out!
    Brother, I do have a question. Your band saw that you used, can you give me particulars about it. I went and bought one but I can’t find a blade to use to cut metal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast