Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Been Thinking.... Cooling system upgrade for M10

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    To the original poster- I'd just fix the original system (thats what I do every 6-10 year to keep my e21 reliable and does not overheat (we are talking about hot Socal and Vegas weather, I ran it in 110-115F last year)... It should not overheat. Pelican sells all metal OE radiator now, not cheap but looks very well made ( I just bought it last week as my cooling system is about 6 years old and I am planning to replace everything this weekend).

Max

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Midlife do you know why it overheated?

Our 80 over heated once and only at highway speed and I have one of the aluminum chevy racing radiators. Turned out that the bypass part of the thermostat was not closing all the way. The parts of the thermostat that opens at temp to rum the water through the radiator was working correctly. So at speed most of the water was just resurrecting in the motor and not being forced through the radiator, but when we slowed down to 30 or so the water going through the radiator was enough to keep it cool.

This double function thermostats can be tricky.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    M42 swap, turbo imminent
    Quote Originally Posted by duuder View Post
    how is your engine running so hot? mine doesnt past the middle while stuck in traffic in the middle of a humid summer?
    This is what I was thinking. Something has to be wrong with the system if you're overheating on New Years Eve in the north-eastern United States. The stock e21 radiator should not puke any coolant out of the hose unless it's overfilled or the coolant is boiling. I'd check the usual suspects first: radiator cap (is the system pressurizing?), air bubbles, pump, etc. Like OLD MAN said, the bypass thermostats can be tricky... mine was installed backwards when I bought the car! It was running really cold, and thankfully never got warm enough for the thermostat to "open" otherwise it would have been bypassing the radiator and would have probably overheated pretty rapidly.

My Cars
    E21, E34, E39, POS2015VW
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecatmilton View Post
    If I am idling (200-800rpm surges) the car's temp will creep up slowly, but if I hold the rpms at 1500 it goes back down to half quickly. I shouldn't be too worried about this right? I probably should flush my coolant though.
    I'm no expert, but I can't think of any correlation between throttle and water flow, but the mechanical fan is of course, running at a speed driven by the crank, so perhaps the fan is vital to blowing cool air? I'm not sure, but would like to hear others' take on this.

My Cars
    E21 320i, E30 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenwilson33 View Post
    I'm no expert, but I can't think of any correlation between throttle and water flow, but the mechanical fan is of course, running at a speed driven by the crank, so perhaps the fan is vital to blowing cool air? I'm not sure, but would like to hear others' take on this.
    I'm no expert either but I'm pretty sure the same pulley that spins the fan also spins the water pump impeller inside the engine. So at higher RPM that would mean the water pump is spinning faster?
    '81 E21 320i / '90 E30 325i / '̶9̶2̶ ̶E̶3̶4̶ ̶5̶2̶5̶i̶t (sold) / '15 Toyota XW30 / '̶̶8̶0̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶ ̶3̶2̶0̶i̶A̶ (sold)

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    Yes, higher engine speed means better coolant flow and faster fan speed. However, higher engine speed means more load (normally) and therefore more heat produced. But idling at 1500 vs 750 without load will result in better cooling.
    Also, cooling fan is mostly needed at lower engine speeds to aid slower coolant circulation. E21 fan is not very effective, especially if 80-83 model without shroud does not have aluminum spacer to put fan closer to the radiator, or if early 77-79 model is missing a schroud.

Max

uberpanzer is offline 4 banger's RULE!!! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3cars-36v. Math FTW!
    With all the other S14 parts I have used over the years, how have I NOT thought about the cooling system from one? They also use remote expansion tank setups like the m20b25, so it is an option for someone wanting one. FWIW, I have had the m42 setup on a m42 and consider that a failure. The plastic expansion tank that is part of the radiator is prone to failures (read newer BMW issues mentioned above), so I would not use it. Had mine fail on the way back from Vegas in the middle of nowhere, so do not trust them.
    Metal Bumpers Are For BEEETCHES!!!!! "King of Lean" - Retired

"If that bikini isn't made of Micro-Fiber and has Quick Detailer on it then GTFO!" -BabyM

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Moon

Spectra Premium CU759, I got mine for ~ $110, 2 yr warranty ,All Metal, not plastic, plastic costs more and plastic is not a good conductor of heat, fits just like the stock plastic one, 1/3 the price and keeps the motor cooler in all conditions. I installed an expansion tank with food grade tubing-wont bleed into cooling system and fan shroud.......lol ...The boil out cost with harsh chemicals and repair of this one will much much lower than aluminum radiator......

Parts Specifications
    Core Material: Copper
    Tank Material: Brass
    Row: 2
    Height: 17-1/16 In.
    Width: 13-1/16 In.
    Thickness: 1-1/4 In.
    Inlet Header: 1-7/8 In. x 18-1/8 In.
    Outlet Header: 1-7/8 In. x 18-1/8 In.
    Inlet: 1-3/8 In.
    Outlet: 1-3/8 In.
    EOC: None
    TOC: 11-1/2 In. (Concentric)
    Comments: 1 x Installation Sheet

Your All Welcome in Advance

Randy

Moe to Curly

Your not a mule your ears are too short
    Last edited by 320iAman; 02-27-2015 at 09:57 AM.

My Cars
    1981 BMW 320i
    I need to swap out my fan unit. Is the stock fan a pusher, in that, it pushes air through the radiator into the engine bay? I cant tell on mine, as it is dead.

Thanks
    1981 BMW 320i, Ascot Grey with Tan Leatherette, 137K, 5 speed, K&N filter, Ansa Exhaust, Bilstein HD's, Rota RB's, Bumper Tuck.

2013 BMW 535i M Sport, Arctic Silver with Black interior.

1966 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 cc, 56K, Dark Grey on Black, Styled steel wheels, C4 Automatic.

1014 Porsche Cayman S, Black on Black

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by virafp View Post
    I need to swap out my fan unit. Is the stock fan a pusher, in that, it pushes air through the radiator into the engine bay? I cant tell on mine, as it is dead.

Thanks
    Do you refer to an auxiliary electric fan mounted in front of the radiator? That's a pusher, of course. The belt drive fan behind the radiator is a puller unit. My '83 does not have an electric fan.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by John Adkins View Post
    Do you refer to an auxiliary electric fan mounted in front of the radiator? That's a pusher, of course. The belt drive fan behind the radiator is a puller unit. My '83 does not have an electric fan.
    Your '83 is suppose to have an electric Aux fan, especially in TX.

Unless maybe you have 'upgraded' your radiator, or have your heater on 'full-blast' all the time.
    Last edited by epmedia; 08-04-2016 at 01:47 AM.
    Tbd

My Cars
    316 E30
    Guys, I know this is an old thread but here I am with my old M10 engine trying to install an electric fan using the stock E30 aux fan plug and also trying to use the port for the original fan switch in order to keep it as stock as possible. Now that I have everything hooked up my fan doesn’t start (not even when I jump the fan switch wires). Looking at the fuse box, I noticed that fuse 18 and fuse 3 are missing one of the spade connectors, does that mean I have to do some wiring underneath the fuse box in order for the stock fan switch connectors to work? Here are some pictures.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12