Thread: Clicking sound around the heater valves

My Cars
    M73 850 Ci

Clicking sound around the heater valves

I've been trying to find the source of a clicking noise that seems to happen around the heater valve area in the engine bay.

Here is a video of the sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0_Wm5RAUDs

It can be heard from inside the car.

It happens regardless of the climate control being on or off, with the engine on or off (key in accessory position).

I've tried unplugging the auxiliary water pump and it doesn't make a difference.

It doesn't seem to be the relays in the fuse box, I can't feel any of them click that way and that loudly.

Any ideas?

My Cars
    850ci, M5, Alpina B7
    Heater valves I think will operate on their own regardless of switch position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    That certainly sounds like heater valves - but they should stop after 16 minutes of not fiddling with anything....
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    M73 850 Ci
    The clicking stops as soon as I turn the key to the off position, I don't need to wait 16 minutes.

Is it normal for the heater valves to click while driving? I can hear them clicking continuously while idling at a stoplight. All the time.

I replaced the heater valves a couple of months ago (had no full A/C on the drivers side) and the clicking persisted.

My Cars
    850ci, M5, Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by vgs View Post
    The clicking stops as soon as I turn the key to the off position, I don't need to wait 16 minutes.

Is it normal for the heater valves to click while driving? I can hear them clicking continuously while idling at a stoplight. All the time.

I replaced the heater valves a couple of months ago (had no full A/C on the drivers side) and the clicking persisted.
    You did not have air because the step motors for the flappers are not working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 520i, 1992 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by vgs View Post
    I've been trying to find the source of a clicking noise that seems to happen around the heater valve area in the engine bay.

Here is a video of the sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0_Wm5RAUDs

It can be heard from inside the car.

It happens regardless of the climate control being on or off, with the engine on or off (key in accessory position).

I've tried unplugging the auxiliary water pump and it doesn't make a difference.

It doesn't seem to be the relays in the fuse box, I can't feel any of them click that way and that loudly.

Any ideas?
    Did you fix the issue. I got the same phenomenon on the 1992 850i I just bought. I noticed for the most part it's doing it sporadically regardless of the temp or fan dials. I know they are just simple solenoids so my suspicion is that the IHKA control panel has gone haywire (which would be expensive for such an annoyingly small problem). I hope I'm wrong cause I can deal with the heater valves myself, just did a full restoration on the similar solenoid valves on my E39.
    Best regards,