Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm loving the MPG in my 2014 328d.

My Cars
    2014 BMW 328d

Thumbs up I'm loving the MPG in my 2014 328d.

I took my 328d for a short drive this morning and it averaged 44.3 MPG in light traffic.

Trip computer read:

26 min

13 mi

44.3 MPG

30.8 mph

This car has consistently returned over the promised 37 MPG combined since I got it over a week ago. It's very frugal and that adds to my driving enjoyment. Here are my initial impressions of the 328d and my week-long ownership experience in Los Angeles:

The cost of diesel around LA varies greatly. There are a couple of stations within blocks of me where it's on par with premium gas. However, plenty of stations are charging 20% over premium fuel for it. With a range of nearly 700 miles per tank, I'll just wait to be near one that isn't gouging for diesel. I think people get sticker shock with diesel fuel prices, but really with a vehicle like this you should divide that price in half to determine what you'll be saving over using gasoline. The only "negative" to this car so far is that it does make a diesel clatter at low speeds--like a little John Deere tractor. I actually find it pleasant, but it's not what people are accustomed it. Once you get it going past 1000 RPMs (it idles at 750 RPMs), it's as quiet as a Lexus. And, when it's doing stop-start in traffic, the engine is off and it's silent. Anyway, everybody always complains that they can't have the power and the MPG, and this is doing it at the small price of minor clattering. This car is more than just a diesel. It's really a diesel "micro-hybrid", and I see most cars, especially gasoline cars, performing micro-hybrid functions very soon.
    Loving the 45 MPG in my 2014 BMW 328d!

My Cars
    2005 330xi
    Count me in for this 328d lovefest. I just bought the sport wagon, and absolutely love it. Great power, acceleration and comfort while delivering excellent mileage. I'm only on my 3rd tank, but I've been averaged over 38 so far with true combined highway, traffic, city driving.

As a data point, diesel in our area (north west of Boston) is around the same price as Diesel, though I have seen as 10-15 cents higher at some places. No thanks.

The only gotcha I have so far is the recent patch cold weather which caused the SES light to pop due to the DEF fluid getting too cold. Having to take the car back to the dealer for such a minor issue was a pain.

Besides that, "LOVING IT !!"

Blue Brummie

My Cars
    2014 328d xdrive
    Add me! Just bought a 328d xdrive....love it! Love the diesel rumble. for comparisons, regular unleaded is now 3.86 by me in DC. Diesel is 4.16. My old car was getting 22 mpg combined on regular unleaded gas...I'm still on my first tank and have only driven locally and it shows 23+ mpg and is climbing every drive. If I were to top out at 30mpg, I'm still saving .04 cents each mile! If I get to where I see most 328d drivers are (mid 30's), I'm closer to .06 cents per mile! Do some easy math...if you drive 12000 per year, that's $680...and that's against regular unleaded...as you know, the non-diesel Beemers take premium, which is 4.24 by me...I save money before even driving against those!! Torque is awesome too...

Loving my 328d xdrive as well. Filled up this afternoon, registering 42.5 mpg for the tank. Diesel here is $3.97.

My Cars
    2014 BMW 328d xWagon
    Just picked up my first BMW and diesel at the same time...loving the 328d xWagon. Diesel in the Denver area is 3.75 or so, but I have yet to fill up. I found an Android app called: Gas Guru to help me locate diesel.

My Cars
    2014 328d xdrive
    Love my 328d X drive. Just took our first long road trip and got 44mpg highway, overall 41mpg. Locally I get 36/37. The trip computer seems to over estimate the mpg by a few mpgs, so you need to run it by hand. Only issue I had was filling up at a truck station where the nozzle was too big. Had to use the adapter and just before I was done filling the thought occured to me that the pump may not auto shut off due to the adapter...I was right! Sprayed a good 1/2 gallon all over the car/gas station tarmac! Not fun. Lesson learned. Know how much you need to fill and don't go over, especially at the truck stops where the pumps seem to pump with a lot more pressure than regular pumps...

My 328d is the best, good torque and saving money on fuel... I love it

Sent from my iPad using BF.com

My Cars
    2002 M5, 2002 M Coupe, 1975 2002
    Add me to the crowded party. Just picked up a white 328d sportline with premium, technology, and lighting packages. Service loaner so it is CPO with 7k on the clock. We live in Houston and the car was in Roswell Georgia. Ran the interstate home at 80 mph. Averaged 46 mpg. Mileage seems to start dropping off at sustained speeds over 80. We checked the mileage when we filled up and it was very close. This car is replacing a 96 M3 as a commuter and I have no doubt it is every bit as fast as the old M3 but with twice the fuel mileage. Has anyone looked for the DEF status using the idrive? We looked forever while on the drive home and it did not appear to be where the manual said it should be. I have always loved diesels including the clatter. Had an Isuzu Trooper turbo back in the 80's and drove an F250 for ten years. M Cars since then. Absolutely overjoyed with this little jewel. Now to dump the run flats and get some nice sticky rubber on it. Has anyone tried one at a DE event? Curious how the sport automatic and the paddle shifters will work. Have no doubt the little babe will be plenty quick.

My Cars
    2014 BMW 328d
    IMG_1505.JPG
    The above image is of my trip computer after doing a drive from Los Angeles to Los Vegas. I stopped once in Baker, CA, but mostly fwy cruising at 85+ MPH, which some traffic and a little city driving. Average MPG was an impressive 43 for the trip!
    Loving the 45 MPG in my 2014 BMW 328d!

My Cars
    BMW328xd
    Just bought the 2014 328xd mileage is awesome unbeatable.Its better any toyotas or hondas and close to all hybrid cars mileage.

My Cars
    2014 BMW 328d Sedan
    My mpg is not as good.. maybe around 26 mpg? Could that be because I'm almost always driving city?

My Cars
    1995 530i, 2007 328i
    I'm here for the 328d circle jerk. I just picked one up and I'm loving it. I commute 75 miles a day so this is a big stepup from my old e90.
    A champion may fall but will never quit.

My Cars
    2014 BMW 328d
    New to Bimmer forums.
    I bought my 2014 328d a week ago (a 1-yr-old dealer 'demo' with <5k miles) - totally loving it so far, but my average economy so far is only 33 mpg, driving ~100% in ECO mode.
    I drive 35 mile round trip each day, with 70% at 65-75 mph.
    However, last week was super-cold weather (5-15 F all week). I've read that one can loose ~10% fuel efficiency in really cold weather on a diesel. Is that right?
    Also, on the two coldest days last week (<10F) I let it warm up for 10 min first - that would have decreased average MPG a little too.
    Finally, I also don't know if the dealership reset the MPG averaging system, of if I'm carrying the fuel use of the dealer's use before me.
    At the end of this first tank of fuel (dealer gave me full tank), I'll reset the avg MPG calculator and get a 'real' measurement on the second tank.

Quote Originally Posted by nquigley View Post
    New to Bimmer forums. I bought my 2014 328d a week ago (a 1-yr-old dealer 'demo' with <5k miles) - totally loving it so far, but my average economy so far is only 33 mpg, driving ~100% in ECO mode. I drive 35 mile round trip each day, with 70% at 65-75 mph. However, last week was super-cold weather (5-15 F all week). I've read that one can loose ~10% fuel efficiency in really cold weather on a diesel. Is that right? Also, on the two coldest days last week (<10F) I let it warm up for 10 min first - that would have decreased average MPG a little too. Finally, I also don't know if the dealership reset the MPG averaging system, of if I'm carrying the fuel use of the dealer's use before me. At the end of this first tank of fuel (dealer gave me full tank), I'll reset the avg MPG calculator and get a 'real' measurement on the second tank.
    Two points:

1- You need to go thru several tanks of fuel and keep detailed records on miles run and fuel added, if you want precise numbers. A single tankful tells you nothing useful.

2- Winter blends of fuel typically give less mpg than summer blends, due to the emissions requirements set by the EPA.

Give it a little time before you think about going ballistic...

My Cars
    2004 bmw 325xit
    We got our new 328XID Sportwagon in December and are amazed at the mpg. My wife took it on the first highway trip and got 58 mpg on the first leg which was mostly flat (Portland to Salem Oregon). On the second leg to Southern Oregon it is hilly most of the way and it dropped to 52. This is based on the car's computer and I just read here that they might be in error so we are going to do a hand calculated check. I don't know where the advertised mpg comes from but I have a theory that some agency is trying to sabotage diesel sales.

My Cars
    2015 F31 Diesel M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketjon View Post
    We got our new 328XID Sportwagon in December and are amazed at the mpg. My wife took it on the first highway trip and got 58 mpg on the first leg which was mostly flat (Portland to Salem Oregon). On the second leg to Southern Oregon it is hilly most of the way and it dropped to 52. This is based on the car's computer and I just read here that they might be in error so we are going to do a hand calculated check. I don't know where the advertised mpg comes from but I have a theory that some agency is trying to sabotage diesel sales.
    Wow. I have yet to come close to upper 40's. I just picked up a new 328d wagon two weeks ago and the best I've gotten is 42mpg on highway with a little traffic. I'm sure the cold weather and fuel mix here in the NYC is affecting it. Hopefully I'll see those numbers later this year.

My Cars
    2015 BMW 328d X Drive
    Just completed a trip NC to Austin and back. Avg 75 mph all the way. Got 44 mpg. Only stopped twice for fuel and arrived with just under a half a tank. Lovin' it!

My Cars
    2015 328d x sport wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by hlc1213 View Post
    Wow. I have yet to come close to upper 40's. I just picked up a new 328d wagon two weeks ago and the best I've gotten is 42mpg on highway with a little traffic. I'm sure the cold weather and fuel mix here in the NYC is affecting it. Hopefully I'll see those numbers later this year.
    Similar here. I picked mine up in mid December and am getting about 34.5 local, perhaps 44 on long highway journeys (but that's with me determinedly driving like a fuel economist, not a lover of driving). I'm not complaining, but am surprised at the variation of results.

My Cars
    2015 BMW 328d Wagon
    Just ordered mine! Can't wait.

My Cars
    328d and Ram Eco-diesel
    Our 328d is averaging 42.1 mpg and just got 44.9 on a road trip between SE Wisconsin and the twin cities.

My Cars
    2017 BMW 330e
    Just picked up my 2015 328d yesterday and very impressed. It's also my first BMW. I plan to have this car for 5+ years.

My Cars
    E36 M3/E36 Vert/ E90 N52
    I need to get me a diesel average 24mpg city and 31-32 highway. Thats a 2006 330i 6mt.

My Cars
    328d Wagon/E36 M3 Track
    Hi Everyone,

First post in a while, had an account back in 2006 but cannot remember the email or anything I used.

Long Term info on 2014 328d Wagon, 37k miles.

Engine has definitely broken in over time. Recently on a trip from Chicago, Illinois to Whitefish, Montana the car got 682 Miles to a tank filling up with 14.7 gallons at the end. A Little over 46mpg. However, Average speed was around 65-70mph because this tank in particular was mostly in Canada on a side trip to Banff where speeds are 90-100km/h, still I am very pleased with the mileage. This is with no Roof rack and Msport Body.

Some quick issues:
    1. Have had washer fluid and DEF sensors fail and replaced.

2. Apparently the camber is positive up front from the factory and after 37k the front tires have excessive wear on the outer edges. Just got the second service not too long ago and they suggested alignment (I am waiting on getting new tires first). For new owners, I would have the alignment checked at the first inspection and request it be brought back more neutral. Side note, from experience tracking a stock 1999 M3 for a few years before upgrading, I remember there being lift at speed, which would take the front away from a neutral to more positive camber which at sustained speeds would degraded the outer edge (please forgive me if this is hilariously wrong).

3. Dealer seems to over-inflate the rear tires to 40psi, I believe suggested is 38. Rear tires had excessive wear in the center while inside edge had significantly more tread. My own fault for not being mindful of this.

4. Main issue is cold weather. The diesel is definitely thicker and mileage falls. I would struggle to get 40mpg on a highway route that would easily be over 45 (55mph limit). If kept in a heated garage it is a little better, but the winter diesel is different than summer and just does not have the same mileage. Keeping the car in the garage doesn't matter anyway when you have to drive home from work and the car has been sitting below freezing for 8 hours, Chicago problems. That being said, while my friends with VW and Audi diesels have to get their cars towed to the dealer to warm up in order to start. My preheating has never failed and has seen starts around -10 Degrees.

5. I had a one time issue with filling up in the winter. The charge from the nozzle didn't activate the metal gate that cover the downspout to the tank. was unable to fill up and had to drive to another station.

Conclusion, I rarely fill up, some small issues but fixed with not too much trouble. I wish it had just a little bit more power, and a stick option, but overall it is an awesome machine.

My Cars
    2014 328D Luxury Line
    My 328D averages 38mpg with my drivng though Ive seen it as high as 45+ on freeway driving across the state.

My Cars
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Hi everyone;

I'll join in this love-fest; just bought my 14 328XD Sedan just under 2 weeks ago and I am loving it so far. I came from a VW Golf diesel, so I actually took a mileage hit, but it is pretty minimal (went from 40-42 mpg to 38-40 mpg so far).

Out of curiosity, how many people here came from VW settlement buybacks?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast