Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ram air as to stock intake

My Cars
    1986 e30 & 1991 850i

Ram air as to stock intake

only asking because i seen a picture of a nice 8 with ram air and was wonduring if it did it any good

My Cars
    I miss my E31!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khan850i View Post
    only asking because i seen a picture of a nice 8 with ram air and was wonduring if it did it any good
    Post a picture please. From an engineering perspective, the E31 has ram air as stock.

My Cars
    1986 e30 & 1991 850i
    [QUOTE=Ahmed303;27198160]Post a picture please. From an engineering perspective, the E31 has ram air as stock.[/QUOTE this the one

- - - Updated - - -

this could be more direct. I feel like the air has to go through maze just to get to the engine
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1993 850CI
    i think the stock air box is way better and i dont think theres any good benefit from that kind of setup.
    1993 e31 850ci Diamond Black
    1996 Mitsubishi 3000gt VR4 Pearl green
    1997 Mitsubishi Pajero LS Intercooler Grey
    1993 Nissan z32 300zx Twin Turbo Pearl White
    1991 Nissan Sentra GXE (Sedan) Pearl blue

My Cars
    I miss my E31!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khan850i View Post
    this could be more direct. I feel like the air has to go through maze just to get to the engine
    Hmm!!

I had that setup once on the 860 with the bored out TB and larger MAF. But I think it is too hot under the hood to benefit from that setup. I created a custom shield around it but was still disappointed. Then I ended up doing a different Ram Air using a high volume CDA.
    Last edited by Ahmed303; 12-28-2013 at 05:09 PM.

My Cars
    93 fjord grey 850csi
    Ram air definitely works ask any Kawasaki owner, the BMW ram air system if you can call it that is very small and hardly worth bothering about what it needs to be effective is the whole grill area or even more to be funnelled into the air box which also would need to be to be at least twice the volume it is currently the perhaps you may get 5-10hp gain at 200kmh+
    its sort of like passive super charging
    Last edited by merlin840; 12-28-2013 at 06:42 PM.

My Cars
    '91 e31
    Sure - a ram air system works great - but a couple of cone filters stuffed into a hot engine bay ain't ram air-

My Cars
    1986 e30 & 1991 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytt View Post
    Sure - a ram air system works great - but a couple of cone filters stuffed into a hot engine bay ain't ram air-
    its sure isn't a cold air

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    threads like this just make me smile.
    BMW has spent several millions on the development of this car and you think you can come up with a better air intake system????
    Last edited by wokke; 12-31-2013 at 03:30 AM.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    The stock airboxes work very well, provided they are complete, and the upper section is still attached to the lower section.
    The problem is that most of the lower airboxes will have either been ripped off completely, or scraped so many times that there are sections worn through and missing. This is when they don't work worth a shit and a half. The intake opening is relatively small, but opens to a larger volume lower collector, where it then narrows down again as you get to the air filter, and narrows again at the MAF. You are basically increasing the volume and speed of the intake air (which is still COLD, since it was taken from the front of the car, not the engine bay), and this is what makes this a true cold air induction system with a ram air effect to it.

The PONTIAC WS6 RamAir that I once owned worked basically the same: small intake opening, larger chamber, narrowing to the MAF and throttlebody - worked great.
    As a side note: My car actually "feels" more responsive when it is very cold out (night time and of course the winter) which tells me that the airboxes are working as they were designed to. If they didn't work, the car would "feel" the same no matter what the temp outside.

WOKKE is very much on the money with his assessment: BMW engineers spent countless hours and 1 BILLION Deutsch Marks (at the time a shade over $550,000,000 US) on the R&D of the E31, it is highly improbable (near impossible) for a weekend mechanic to improve much on this (unless you are John Fuston and just supercharge the hell out of it - but that is a different story....)
    Last edited by TxGR8White; 12-30-2013 at 06:26 AM.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    1994 525I, 1993 850Ci
    Not to mention if you do change something like the air intake not only do you need to change the exhaust because unless FI you need to match the air coming out to the air coming in (more complicated than that with back pressure and all that) but you'll also have to get a tune done to really reap the benefits of it correctly.
    1983 Monte Carlo SS
    1984 Pontiac fiero SE
    1993 BMW 850CI
    1994 BMW 525I

My Cars
    Disco II 850i MERs 750il
    Not sure it would look right with the e31 body lines.

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi, E53 X5 4.8iS
    The individual cone filters as shown will not give any more power as they are drawing in warm air from under the bonnet but may well sound as if they do with the increase in induction noise. You may also note that the stock airbox has a bellmouth in it to smooth the flow through the MAF whereas this smooth flow will be absent from the cone filter.

The better solution is to insert a perfoermance element into the stock aitbox and make sure the full inlet system is all connected and undamaged. Known failings are the rubber bellows under the headlamps and broken/damaged airbox chambers from grounding-out underneath.

Whichever system you decide to use, do not use excessively oiled filter elements as any oil vapour will damage the hot wire MAF's. Unfortunately, most of the foam and gauze type elements rely on the dirt sticking to an oiled element to clean up the air.

Whilst the stock system may not be ram-air, it is certainlt the perfect cold-air solution.

Tuning or exhaust changes to match are not required because the car will self adjust as the MAF's assess both flow rate and temperature, and the O2 sensors adjust on-the-fly also.

My Cars
    1986 e30 & 1991 850i
    thanks for your inputs. very much appreciated

My Cars
    more and more Cars..
    Quote Originally Posted by wokke View Post
    BMW has spent several millions on the development in this car and you think you can come up with a better air intake system????
    Wolf,

if someone comes up with a better air intake system that can be compared with the performance of your better than stock highly developed chipset I'll be in immediately…
    to register your 8 @ www.8coupe.com!

Best regards from good old Germany Harry!

My Cars
    Disco II 850i MERs 750il
    Quote Originally Posted by wokke View Post
    threads like this just make me smile.
    BMW has spent several millions on the development if this car and you think you can come up with a better air intake system????
    These would be the same engineers that came up with the C-pillar cover and coolant expansion tank designs?

My Cars
    I miss my E31!!!!!!!!!!
    I disagree with the assumption that just because BMW spent a tremendous amount of money, the technology is still superior. The technology evolution goes on and there is always room for improvement. The crappy exhaust port of the head design is one example among many others. The breathing to include the RAM air can be improved upon. Bored out throttle body + larger MAF + matching programming mated with a better air box design can definitely improve the breathing. I will post pictures of the Carbon Dynamic Airboxes I fitted for the 860 when I get a chance.

Last edited by Ahmed303; 12-30-2013 at 10:19 PM.

My Cars
    1993 850CI
    I like that set up.
    1993 e31 850ci Diamond Black
    1996 Mitsubishi 3000gt VR4 Pearl green
    1997 Mitsubishi Pajero LS Intercooler Grey
    1993 Nissan z32 300zx Twin Turbo Pearl White
    1991 Nissan Sentra GXE (Sedan) Pearl blue

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    I love my Pipercross filter. It's a dry filter by design. With a now stock exhaust, all I hear is engine noise.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by bruinbro View Post
    These would be the same engineers that came up with the C-pillar cover and coolant expansion tank designs?
    the design as such is ok, only the choice of material is questionable. But as you certainly also know this is normally someone else making those decisions and these people have an entirely different intention.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed303 View Post
    I disagree with the assumption that just because BMW spent a tremendous amount of money, the technology is still superior. The technology evolution goes on and there is always room for improvement. The crappy exhaust port of the head design is one example among many others. The breathing to include the RAM air can be improved upon. Bored out throttle body + larger MAF + matching programming mated with a better air box design can definitely improve the breathing. I will post pictures of the Carbon Dynamic Airboxes I fitted for the 860 when I get a chance.
    We're not discussing a heavily modified engine here. But besides that I doubt you can really proof that the design you mention is any better than OEM.
    Generally I agree with you on technology evolution but IMO there is not much to improve on air intake technology.

My Cars
    1994 525I, 1993 850Ci
    What's wrong with the c pillar covers??? Other than mine blew off on the highway
    1983 Monte Carlo SS
    1984 Pontiac fiero SE
    1993 BMW 850CI
    1994 BMW 525I

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    Looking at the design of the air ducting, it would be possible to increase flow by blanking off the brake duct or significantly reducing the size of the output hole. Obviously this will have a downside on the brake cooling.

Before reading about air intake systems I assumed a larger intake mouth would be best but in fact it's better to have a smaller hole (higher pressure) at the beginning of the duct.

My Cars
    1986 e30 & 1991 850i
    My intake has multiple holes at bottom over time, I can see light through it when I was taking the intake apart. Ill post a few pic of what I came up with when I get time

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Best way to get air through the air boxes, Hands down!)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (128.2 KB, 37 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (104.5 KB, 38 views)

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Or this;
    Attachment 594282
    My Cars - 1991 BMW 850i - mine for fun, 1993 Saab 900c - mine for fun, 2008 Lexus is250 - my daily driver, 2003 Dodge Durango - my wife's, 1994 Acura Legend - gave it to kid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast