RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Newbie-M54B30 crank no start E83

My Cars
    '87 325ic, '04 X3 3.0 6M

Newbie-M54B30 crank no start E83

Hi all, I've lurked the site for years and have finally had a bad enough problem to prompt me to join!

We have a 2004 e83 X3 6mt with the 3.0L M54B30. The car has just under 100k miles and has been trouble free in the 30k miles we've owned it. I replaced the spark plugs (BMW branded Bosch) and fuel filter in September and only have a few thousand miles on them.

Everything was working fine when driven to and from work on Tue, then again yesterday when I moved it in the driveway to make room for company. I went out to warm it up and clean the snow off of it this morning when it was around 28*-30*F, and it fired briefly (2-3 seconds?)and stalled. I tried to restart and it just cranked slowly and wouldn't fire. My initial thought was the battery even though it's a two year old Interstate. I checked voltage and it had around 11.6. I tossed the charger on it for a few minutes and tried again. Still no start even though it cranked faster on the charger. While cranking I noted the battery voltage dropped to around 9 volts. I installed a 9 volt between cables, yanked the battery, and had it load tested by my local Interstate dealer. They said it was slightly discharged, but still had 600cca and recommended I charge it for a few hours and see what happens.
    After charging the battery up the engine still didn't fire, although it would catch like it wanted to fire now and then. I checked for fuel pressure at the fuel rail simply by pressing the schrader valve and had decent fuel shoot out. I pulled a coil and verified spark with a screwdriver on the valve cover bolt. I also checked for codes with my cheap OBD2 scanner and none were present. After some searches on here and other sites I decided to pull the plugs and see if they were fouled. Sure enough they were wet with fuel and black like the engine was flooded. I cleaned the plugs with some brake cleaner and compressed air and re-installed, confident I had found the problem. It seems to want to start now, and if I depress the accelerator while cranking it catches and will speed up to 900-1000 rpm, but still won't start.
    I plan to pick up an actual spark tester tomorrow for a proper test, as well as check fuel pressure with a gauge. The thing that puzzles me is that I have all of the elements needed for an engine to run: fuel, spark, and air, yet it still won't start. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to save me a tow and an expensive repair bill.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

My Cars
    & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Black X3 View Post
    The thing that puzzles me is that I have all of the elements needed for an engine to run: fuel, spark, and air, yet it still won't start.
    But do you have the proper amount of each?

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    I would remove and clean the idle air valve with gum cutter, so that it rattles when you shake it, and would suspect the crank case vent valve as suspect.

My Cars
    '87 325ic, '04 X3 3.0 6M
    Checking back with the answer...
    I gave up tinkering last night since it was dark and cold and the way I had parked it would have been a bear to get it in my garage. After much searching and reading last night I was convinced I had been on the right track thinking it was flooded. I went out this morning and cranked with the accelerator flat to the floor. After a few seconds it really sounded like it was starting to catch. I gave the starter a break and tried again. This time it started catching, then sputtering, then running rough , and finally smoothed out. I took it for a drive and 'blew the carbon out' and all seems well!

My Cars
    1990 BMW 750IL (sold)
    Hi All,
    Very similar story .... finally stumped.
    Similar symptoms ....I skeptical of just flooding.
    2004 - X3, 130k miles
    Ran fine, parked in driveway for a few days.
    Cranked fine, but would not start. Sounded like it wanted to, but just would not catch.
    No codes stored or pending.
    Checked Fuel pressure .... good (> 45 psi .....rented adapter leaked so could not get good reading.
    Spark is strong across a gap indicating 25kv ... same on 2 of the cylinders .... will not jump 30kv or more. Is tha an issue??
    I pulled one plug and it was wet and black .... but there has to be more to this.
    An indi mechanic friend of mine is leaning towards Crank Position Sensor

I hate to start the parts replacement unless it is highly likely ....especially, that one appears to be a pain in the #$%.

Any suggestions
    Thanks in advance

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by bkatz View Post
    Hi All,
    Very similar story .... finally stumped.
    Similar symptoms ....I skeptical of just flooding.
    2004 - X3, 130k miles
    Ran fine, parked in driveway for a few days.
    Cranked fine, but would not start. Sounded like it wanted to, but just would not catch.
    No codes stored or pending.
    Checked Fuel pressure .... good (> 45 psi .....rented adapter leaked so could not get good reading.
    Spark is strong across a gap indicating 25kv ... same on 2 of the cylinders .... will not jump 30kv or more. Is tha an issue??
    I pulled one plug and it was wet and black .... but there has to be more to this.
    An indi mechanic friend of mine is leaning towards Crank Position Sensor

I hate to start the parts replacement unless it is highly likely ....especially, that one appears to be a pain in the #$%.

Any suggestions
    Thanks in advance
    Crankshaft position sensor problems would not allow any spark.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    +1. Remove the fuel pump fuse, hold the gas pedal to the floor, crank starter for ~10 seconds. Wait for a minute, then repeat. Did it cough and try to start somewhere in there? If so, after letting the starter rest again, begin cranking and then have someone slip the fuse back in it's hole while you are cranking.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1990 BMW 750IL (sold)
    Hi Chris,
    Thanks for the input .... I did not try that but went down a slightly different path.
    I replaced the Crank sensor before I saw your comment ..... New one from BMW dealer parts.
    No change.
    My indi repair friend came over with his commercial code reader (my obd reader read no codes) his code reader showed "3C1D", which is crank position sensor signal. ... we cleared the code ... .still no start. Code came back.
    Cleaned the pins, re-seated connector ....same ...no start and same code came back.
    Checked pins on connector .... 12 V on center pin and continuity to ground on the pin for ground....as shown in Bentley schematic
    We tried to measure a change on the CPS when put next to steel ..... neither the old one or the new one showed any change in resistance when put up against a steel surface.....we checked all the pins.
    Shouldn't the CPS react to proximity to steel in a way a DVM can read it?
    Anyone have 3C1D and have a different problem than the CPS?
    He's getting a new CPS for me tomorrow and we will compare and try that one ........ I guess it is possible I got unlucky with a bad from stock.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 750IL (sold)
    Solved .... YAHOO.
    So here are some things I learned .... hopefully it can help other X83 / BMW enthusiasts.
    Bottom line, no start was caused by CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor)
    The first one I got direct from BMW was dead out of the box ..... figured this out by having an indi mechanic friend stop by with an Autologic professional code reader (my obd reader did not pick up codes).
    Bought a second sensor, started right up .... some initial running rough due to all the cranking and flooding, but did not have to play with the throttle, remove the plugs, etc.

So ... a bad CPS can cause a no start.
    Car sounded like it wanted to catch as if it was flooded or timing was off, but would not catch.
    Spark was strong ...used an inexpensive spark tester ... good tool to have (Autozone or equiv)
    Fuel pressure ok
    When I put in a good (2nd new) CPS, started immediately and now runs fine.

It can be accessed from the top pretty easy.
    Remove air box ...top and bottom halfs
    Remove Stiffener across the engine bay
    Remove the Cabin filter tray (needed to remove cover around master cycl)
    Remove the cover going around the master cylinder.
    Now you can see the sensor pretty easy and reach it with either hand, but not both together.
    Since I had the CPS in and out due to a bad sensor from dealership, I learned i could use a long extension and swivel with the hex bit.
    Easier was the hex bit, a 1 or 2 inch extension and a 1/8 ratchet.....just be careful of hitting live terminal as you swing the wrench (from experience)

Thanks for all the suggestions