Thread: 1 brake light.

My Cars
    e32 750il 88-e39 535i 97

1 brake light.

I constantly have this error message pop up, until today I have not really looked into it and I think I have already found my problem, as I move to the back of the car to double check once again that break lights are working I realize that I have no center brake light, not even a spot for it, rear parcel shelf is completely flat?, did they ever sell these cars without a third brake light or would this be it, also I do not mind not having a third brake light, is it possible to just wire it up to one of the other brake lights so I don't get the message?

- - - Updated - - -

2510-2.jpg

Just got ahead of myself and removed my parcel shelf, and found this, there is no wiring and a gaping hole that some idiot has cut to enhance his doof doof, it looks fine with the parcel shelf so I am not going to worry about the hole and i may as well enjoy a little doof doof myself, I am just concerned with the error message, there is no wiring there to even start to try to think about how I can bodge something up?, where did this wiring go to, how can I trick this error message to dissapear?

My Cars
    1993 525i/5, 1995 530/5
    Not sure if the models for your market came with a third brake light or not. Have you seen others locally with or without? If they came without it, your problem could be an incorrect lkm. If you have a us market (or other with 3rd brake light) lkm and your car never had a 3rd brake light that could be the problem. However this is only a guess.

My Cars
    e32 750il 88-e39 535i 97
    I am in Australia, but my car was imported years ago from Europe, going to make this my mission today, even if this isn't the problem, I needed to remove my parcel shelf anyway to rid a rattle.

- - - Updated - - -

Fixed, after pulling the back seats and rear parcel shelf out, I unplugged the left hand tail light and it still gave me "1 brake light",
    unplugged the right hand side and plugged the left in and it gave me the error "brake light" which made me think the left was in fact my error and the center brake light had already been bypassed properly,
    had a look and one of the wires into the connectors was half hanging out pushed it in and walla, no more brake light error,
    now my bimmer is only air con and an oil leak away from perfection,
    still had to get rid of that rattle, it was the rear clips on the parcel shelf, I'm yet to reassemble it so I'm thinking I might just line it with super glue, they don't look like they are coming off without damage to the parcel shelf anyway,
    my parcel shelf was also labeled for e34 so maybe in fact this car never did have rear tail lights,
    I have a sticker on the inside of the car saying it is of Australian standard and part of that standard is a center brake light, oh well.

My Cars
    93BMW 525i/95 BMW 540i/6
    I always forget about the third brake light. Start pulling my hair out and then the light bulb comes on. (Pun intended)
    USC Ralph - Long Beach, CA USA
    1989 E34 White 525i (M20) 310,000m (Sold)
    1993 E34 Black 525i (M50) 308,955m
    1995 E34 Calypso Red 540i/6 (M60) 201,254m
    1993 E34 Black 525iT (M50) 138,500m

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    If it was original EURO spec., then there was no center brake light, maybe it was converted when the car was imported to Australia, to meet Australian standards.
    The original rear parcel shelf of the E32 is easy to remove without breaking any parts, but apparently they installed something from the E34 instead, that is different from E32
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!