Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IR remote control question

My Cars
    BMW E32 1987

IR remote control question

Hello Guys,

I have a question about the remote control, i have installed of factory a alarm system in my E32. I recent bought a IR remote control. But on many website's i see that you need a IR receiver for the remote control. i don't have this and can't find it. The only thing that i have is a RED blinking light in the grill(for the alarm).

I hope you guys can help me!

Thanks Alot.

E32
    1987/7

My Cars
    18 Cummins 3500 00 330t
    Which alarm did you buy? What does the key look like?

My Cars
    BMW E32 1987
    Quote Originally Posted by me78569 View Post
    Which alarm did you buy? What does the key look like?
    The alarm is factory installed. The key has 3 buttons 2 on the front and 1 on the side.

This remote control : http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...tem-on-their-8
    Last edited by yoyo1991; 12-13-2013 at 12:55 PM.

My Cars
    18 Cummins 3500 00 330t
    Pictures make it easier

I am guessing #3?

If so this part?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?clk_r...1378718&_rdc=1 PN: 66101378718 found here in realoem http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...69&hg=65&fg=60

Mine plugs into the headliner by the sunroof button
    Last edited by me78569; 12-13-2013 at 01:06 PM.

My Cars
    01 E38;13 F30;84&88 E30
    Not related to the OP, but is it possible to make Key #1 work on a 93?

My Cars
    18 Cummins 3500 00 330t
    What do you currently have?

My Cars
    01 E38;13 F30;84&88 E30
    Currently have setup #2. You have made it very easy with the pictures. LOL!

My Cars
    18 Cummins 3500 00 330t
    that's what I go for.

Well looking through this I would think you could. You would have to upgrade the needed parts. the early ones are ir remote the later ones are RF ( i believe)

the RF has a box under the seat that you would need, you would also need the review mirror ( again I think)

I can't think of whatelse. Hard to remember what my 540 had paired with the nice key with buttons on it.

http://bmwe32.masscom.net/ivo/remote...e_install.html

Here is the box under the seat that my e34 540/6 had.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E34-E36-...fc1332&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by me78569; 12-13-2013 at 01:27 PM.

My Cars
    1993 750il,1994 740i 5sp
    Hello,

I have a question as well. I'm always reading up on this forum but don't usually post anything so here I go.

I have 2 E32's a 1991 750il, and a 1990 735i. Both are wired for the IR remote, My 750 already had everything wired up and after I purchased the IR remote was able to program it within Sec's. As for my 735 it seems to need a bit more attention, IT is prewired for the IR alarm system so I had to collect all the various plugs for it still nothing. A few websites I've come across state it is just plug and play but I cant get my 735 system to work. Any Ideas (Oh and I tried swapping out the controls and sensors between the two 7's still nothing)?

My Cars
    01 E38;13 F30;84&88 E30
    Quote Originally Posted by me78569 View Post
    that's what I go for.

Well looking through this I would think you could. You would have to upgrade the needed parts. the early ones are ir remote the later ones are RF ( i believe)

the RF has a box under the seat that you would need, you would also need the review mirror ( again I think)

I can't think of whatelse. Hard to remember what my 540 had paired with the nice key with buttons on it.

http://bmwe32.masscom.net/ivo/remote...e_install.html

Here is the box under the seat that my e34 540/6 had.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E34-E36-...fc1332&vxp=mtr
    Well thats interesting. I have that box already but its under the steering wheel kick panel. When i program the current remotes, there is a chip that i have to put in there to get them going. Could it be as simple as just needing a different remote?

My Cars
    18 Cummins 3500 00 330t
    wait, no sorry I am thinking about my touring, which had a remote similar to yours.

I can't remember exactly what my 540 had. the 540 was a 95 year and the touring was a 94

My Cars
    1989 750IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdulish View Post
    Hello,

I have a question as well. I'm always reading up on this forum but don't usually post anything so here I go.

I have 2 E32's a 1991 750il, and a 1990 735i. Both are wired for the IR remote, My 750 already had everything wired up and after I purchased the IR remote was able to program it within Sec's. As for my 735 it seems to need a bit more attention, IT is prewired for the IR alarm system so I had to collect all the various plugs for it still nothing. A few websites I've come across state it is just plug and play but I cant get my 735 system to work. Any Ideas (Oh and I tried swapping out the controls and sensors between the two 7's still nothing)?

Just out of curiosity how did you reprogram your 750? I have the switchblade remote that worked when i first puchased the car but the batteries died and it took me several months to get around to replacing but now cant seem to get the remote to comunicate with the car...

- - - Updated - - -

not sure if it matters but its an 89

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Switchblade is sometimes tricky to program, I had the same problem. And in addition they changed the switch function at some date, I once bought some new ones and the package had a paper inside. So if it does not work as shown here, try the same switch but the other side
    Programming the IR remote:
    To reprogram a new IR remote or your old one after replacing the bateries:
    1. Turn the ignition to position 2.
    2. Hold the IR transmitter on the DWA led in the center of the fresh air grill.
    3. Press button 1 untill the transmitter LED begins to flash (after about 2 seconds). Now your all done.
    Within 15 minutes any other remotes to be used with the car must be initialised. There is a max of 4 remotes.
    http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/tips...rogramming.jpg

Checking if your IR remote funtions:
    If you are doubting wheter your IR remote is working try holding the remote about 10 mm from a reflecting surface. A mirror should do just fine. Push the open button. After the intervall blinking the LED will remain on. Now try holding the remote close to a non reflecting surface. Press the open button. Now the LED should go off after the intervall blinking.

You can also check the function of any IR-Remote controller by watching the led, while activating it, trough a digital camera. You don't have to take a picture, the LED function can be seen as a white light on the camera LCD, normal mobile camera works as well.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1989 750IL
    Ive actually tried this procedure a few times before but ill give it a go again. Is the ignition position ''0'' when the key is inserted, ''2'' position acc, ''3'' position is start? does that sound rite? thanks shogun. your doing the lords work!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    The procedure is shown in detail in the owners handbook http://750il.bmw7.hu/owners_manual/framed.html
    Is the ignition position ''0'' when the key is inserted, ''2'' position acc, ''3'' position is start >>>>yes

My Cars
    1993 750il,1994 740i 5sp
    Hello, I have was able to get my my IR remote working on my 91 750 (01-91)with no problem, my 90 735i(07-89) not as lucky. My 735i is prewired and after I scavenged up all the sensors and controls it still does not work. The LED on the dash doesnt even light up when I go to program the remote?, I have also tried swapping the parts from my 750 to no avail. Am I missing something?

My Cars
    89'750iL,98'740iL,00'M5
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but I am having issues with my switchblade remote. I bought 2 used ones and put in new batteries, remote functions correctly with testing. At first it took me quite a long time to get it to program to the car but eventually it did work. Unlock and lock worked fine. 5 days or so later, it no longer worked out of the blue. The LED and IR still light up, but does not lock/unlock the car.

Couple of questions:
    - Does the DWA on the grill light up at all? During an Alarm or programing?
    - If I had the remote programmed once, do I have to reset it by removing the batteries to reprogram it to the same car? I am thinking this may be my issue. I spent 30 min today in the hot car trying to reprogram it with no luck.
    - Do I have to keep toggling the ignition off then to position 2 each time I try to program, or can I just leave it on position 2 while attempting multiple tries?

BMW 7er Website www.7er.com
    1989 BMW 735i Schwarz (sadly, sold) // 1989 BMW 750iL Cirrusblau Metallic // 1998 BMW 740iL Oxfordgrün Metallic // 2000 M5 Carbon Schwarz ///

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    My DWA on the grill never lights up even when programming, but I never set the drive away protection via the OBC. Maybe when you have set the drive away protection it lights up.

Try to reprogram the IR keyfob once more and before that check the batteries. When removing the batteries you have to reset the fob again, there is a time frame, see owners manual.To reprogram a new remote or your old one after replacing the batteries:
    1. Turn the ignition to position 2.
    2. Hold the IR transmitter on the DWA led in the center of the fresh air grill.
    3. Press button 1 until the transmitter LED begins to flash (after about 2 seconds). Now your all done.
    Within 15 minutes any other remotes to be used with the car must be initialised. There is a max of 4 remotes.

switchblade replacement batteries
    Original one is VARTA. But in some places difficult to get. BMW # is part # 32 32 1 151 013
    Instead of the original Varta batteries you can also use:
    Duracell PX625A
    GP Sylva Cell 625A
    Ucar Energizer EPX625G
    Kodak KA625
    Ray-O-Vac R625
    Philips 625
    Panasonic LR9
    Original, what I found on the box: Varta Type V625U , Int. Baugröße/size LR9 , Elektrochemisches System/system Primär Alkalisch Mangan, diameter 15,5 mm , height 6,2 mm , weight 3,3 g, capacity 200 mAh, volt 1,5 V. You need in total 4 batteries

My Cars
    89'750iL,98'740iL,00'M5
    I do set the obc code but never noticed the led flash when I've set the alarm off by accident. When I got in my car tonight just on my way home, I noticed my BMW car phone wouldn't power on, I turn it on for its lighting at night. It wouldn't power on at all. I checked the fuse box and noticed this is also tied into the alarm and locking system but the fuse is good. I really hope my phone isn't dead, it's a great piece at night with the lighting.

Tomorrow I will check for power and also check the fuse incase it really is bad. This must have happened today because last night the remote locking worked and so did the phone.

- - - Updated - - -

I will also remove and replace the remote batteries as well. I was going to order the original VARTA ones from autohausaz as they sell them. Right now I have a few batteries from my 35mm film camera in it , they fit pretty good, same voltage of course.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    For the OBC drive away protection there is a hidden fuse under the driver side rear seat, check that one , maybe also the phone is connected there http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/236235/

My Cars
    91 735iL
    Serge where did you buy the switchblade remotes? I have been looking for a few days for a replacement for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeBMW View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but I am having issues with my switchblade remote. I bought 2 used ones and put in new batteries, remote functions correctly with testing. At first it took me quite a long time to get it to program to the car but eventually it did work. Unlock and lock worked fine. 5 days or so later, it no longer worked out of the blue. The LED and IR still light up, but does not lock/unlock the car.

Couple of questions:
    - Does the DWA on the grill light up at all? During an Alarm or programing?
    - If I had the remote programmed once, do I have to reset it by removing the batteries to reprogram it to the same car? I am thinking this may be my issue. I spent 30 min today in the hot car trying to reprogram it with no luck.
    - Do I have to keep toggling the ignition off then to position 2 each time I try to program, or can I just leave it on position 2 while attempting multiple tries?

My Cars
    1992 BMW 850i/6 speed, 1990 BMW 750iL

NE32, how much would you pay for one?

Quote Originally Posted by NE32 View Post
    Serge where did you buy the switchblade remotes? I have been looking for a few days for a replacement for mine.

My Cars
    89'750iL,98'740iL,00'M5
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    For the OBC drive away protection there is a hidden fuse under the driver side rear seat, check that one , maybe also the phone is connected there http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/236235/
    I havent yet looked at the fusebox under the seat, haven't had time. I normally use the OBC Code feature so im sure that fuse is still ok. Will check the other fuses soon. Hassle to remove that electric rear seat.

Quote Originally Posted by NE32 View Post
    I got them from a guy here in Miami, used. Paid $20 for both plus the full key set for his car. Obviously I didn't need the other keys but he just threw them in. ECS sells the remote as well as the key blanks. I've heard some dealerships still sell the blanks and you can order them cut and all from them.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...l/66101390263/

Seems the prices went up since I last saw them, or it was another site.

BMW 7er Website www.7er.com
    1989 BMW 735i Schwarz (sadly, sold) // 1989 BMW 750iL Cirrusblau Metallic // 1998 BMW 740iL Oxfordgrün Metallic // 2000 M5 Carbon Schwarz ///

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    for the switchblade: General key (blank) up to 09/1992 51211950394 $24.93, COUNTERSUNK HEAD SCREW 2,2X7 up to 09/1992 66218354639 $0.50

My Cars
    91 735iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich in Boston View Post
    I'll PM you.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeBMW View Post
    I got them from a guy here in Miami, used. Paid $20 for both plus the full key set for his car. Obviously I didn't need the other keys but he just threw them in. ECS sells the remote as well as the key blanks. I've heard some dealerships still sell the blanks and you can order them cut and all from them.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...l/66101390263/

Seems the prices went up since I last saw them, or it was another site.

$20??? man I wish. I'm not particularly looking for the key black but the actual remote. I got one off a guy who for sure reason drilled the the base of the primary key into the actual remote. No clue as to why he didn't just buy the switchblade blank. Regardless the remote somewhat worked until recently it just gave out. I guess drilling through the motherboard isn't such a good idea.

I know ECS says they sell them for about $230 but, I've been hit or miss with them actually having kind of obscure parts like that and the price point is a little too up there for my liking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast