Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Budget Drift car v2. 1995 E36 M3

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    grease nipple

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    so you wanna sell these rtabs or what? :p
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    No I wanna use these ones! But once I get this car driving and can make sure they do their job, I'll probably make a couple sets to sell

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Been thrashing on the car, trying to have it done by the end of the month, no real reason for the deadline, other then bragging rights against all my friends who are building new cars (by buying all the parts vs me building everything myself)

So the front driveshaft is done, had to machine the front flange from scratch because I accidentally threw out the front half of my 328 driveshaft and didn't have the 3 bolt flange,

This is the fuse and relay block for both the engine and chassis, nicely tucked up under the airbag cover

And since our water jet at work is super backed up I decided to make a simple billet camber plate that will allow me to continue building the front suspension until I can get the water jetted ones done, they'll be a little cleaner looking then these, but these will work for now.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    With these skills, I'm surprised you don't open up shop and start selling go fast bits. I'm in love with that drive shaft flange.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Not sure what you're talking about regarding the water jetted camber plates would be cleaner, those ones you made are titties. Nice perky, firm, pretty little C-cup ones at that.

I love that placement of the fuse panel under the airbag cover. I historically try to use that space for MegaSquirts and whatnot.

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    With these skills, I'm surprised you don't open up shop and start selling go fast bits. I'm in love with that drive shaft flange.
    ^what he said. I'd take 1 of every piece you've made so far, especially your LSx to ZF adapter setup lol.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Haha thanks for the support guys! I think I'm still a ways away from being confident enough to try it on my own, still have tons to learn as I'm only a 2nd year apprentice, plus I don't think the bank is willing to lend the kind of money that a guy would need to buy a shop and a couple CNC machines to a 23 year old haha. Hell, we just bought an old demo mill (2014 with 300 hours on it) and that was still like 90k USD.

I'm going to talk with management after I have a chance to thoroughly test all the shit I've built and work out some sort of deal that will allow me to sell stuff, but that's still a little bit out.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    jebus, 90k? I thought about picking up a lathe just to make some piddly parts to sell for low roi. Can't do much with it but it seems pretty useful. Even those are much more expensive than I wanted.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Yeah and that's a fairly cheap cnc... ours is spec'd out but still I think the base ones are 100 ish new. A manual lathe and mill are all I used to build everything in my m3, and I could probably do 90% of the stuff for the new car in one aswell, but for things like the adapter plate and flywheel a computer machine is so much easier and precise..

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    So, big weekend. Made a fan shroud for my spare mishimoto rad, 2x11" fans just fit, sealed with foam tape. Made a bracket for the stock reservoir to bolt up to 1 of the oem shroud mount holes.

Then installed the full angle kit that I build over the week. Monday we pulled everything apart, and Thursday night I bolted it all back up. 3 days of pure hell trying to redesign everything off the m3 and build it all. But got it done. 2-5/8 extended e36 lca, angle block, heim joint tie rod ends, and adjustable fcab's.

Right now the camber plates are set at max positive without drilling the tower and it looks to be roughly 6 ish degrees of camber.

Next was wiring, most of the harness was routed, but not terminated, so we hooked everything up to the switches, made a power distribution block for the starter/alternator/ power to kill switch, and wired up all the gauges. Also made a short hub so I can eventually bolt in the quick release setup from my other car.

And then it was time to try firing it up. First try. Couldn't really believe it. Never did I expect to get everything right wiring wise on the first try but somehow we got it. So stoked (video of 2nd startup on instagram @mikestokman).

After that I built the rest of the exhaust, 2.5 inch from the header to the y pipe, then 3" from the y back with 2 mufflers. Not super loud, not super quiet.

Then after a bunch of odds and ends, I got to drive it up the street. Super sketchy with no seat, but I had to try. The power steering pump doesn't seem to be working, the idle is set somewhere around the 400 mark I think as it wants to stall all the time without throttle input, and it is over fuelling because it smokes black and on decel it backfires and shoots flames.

However even with all the issues, I'm still super stoked on it. I mean, it runs, it drives(even if badly), it stops, the clutch engages and disengages, it shifts, the driveshaft turns things, and with a little tuning I think this thing could rip. So I think I'll call this weekend far from a loss, because we managed to take something that had a shit 1.8 auto in it 6 months ago, and put a running and driving lm7 motor with BMW 5 speed in it. I think I'm going to take a little bit of a break on the car, just to relax, take a mental breather focus on this seasons drifting in my m3, and recoup my bank account.

Last edited by Mikestokman; 06-25-2017 at 09:41 PM.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    stoked on your progress, Mike!

need you to make me some of those adjustable FCABs too!

oh yeah, you seem to be missing a grille.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Def my most favorite current build.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Haha thanks guys, I'm tryin here. I think once I save up a bit of money I'll tow it on out to the dyno and they should be able to figure it out. Until then I'm going to try and replace the power steering pump for a known working one so I can figure that issue out, and just tidy up the loose ends on the rest of the car. Mainly all the little stuff that costs nothing but time to work on. Maybe have it driveable by the matsuri in September, but no rush.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    So, figured out my issues. Power steering ended up being plumbed backwards (looked at a diagram wrong I guess) missed a ground to the passenger side cool pack harness and now it runs sick. This car is wild. So much faster then my m3.

Still needs a tune to clean up driveablility and make sure all is good, but I'm honestly so stoked on how this car drives. The flywheel seems to work awesome, revs quick for what it is, and the clutch doesn't seem to slip at all. So stoked. Tune is booked in for august 8th right after fd Seattle, I've got a new set of bc coilovers on order since we won 2grand at the last drift event and I snapped my h&r front coil in the m3 (always planned on swapping suspension from that car into v8 car when i got it driveable, but new stuff is cool too) so all that's left on my list is little shit like mounting my pusher fan, bracing the frame rails in the back, and swap over the seats, front wheels and steering wheel from the other car and it should be ready to rip for September 2/3.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    So when are you rehosting all of your pictures :-D

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Haha yeah I'll rebuild this build thread once I swap everything over from Photobucket. I installed Flickr, just been too lazy to upload everything and figure out how that app differs from pb..

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Sweet. Kind of jealous at this point. I need to find a tuner quick heh.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    So when are you rehosting all of your pictures :-D
    So I was going to build a new thread, but I can't for the life of me get any sort of 3rd party image hosting thing to work. Flickr doesn't post out the right code for bf.c (on iPhone atleast) so none of the pics post, and short of uploading everything on here (slow as hell) I'm completely computer retarded.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    I use Flickr, but def post all my pics from a computer because I haven't been able to do it from my iPhone either.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...fegnfnflicjjgj

try this for viewing. I can see all the pics in this thread after installing.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Probably after the dyno, which is happening Tuesday. I'm picking the car up next Saturday aswell as the bc coilovers I ordered, and then after that we'll be renting the track to do a shakedown day before our next round of competition.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast