Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget Drift car v2. 1995 E36 M3

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe

Budget Drift car v2. 1995 E36 M3

So about a year ago i picked up a bone stock e36 318i from a guy that was about a day away from the scrapper. Bought it with intent to drift, so put a motor in, did coilovers and welded the diff with a hydro ebrake. Slid around and learned some basics.

And now on to the new car. Decided I needed more power for next year as the 1.8 sucked. Lucky for me a local guy I know crashed his M3 into a wall and decided he no longer wanted 4 cars so after a few trades I ended up with it in my driveway.It wasnt pretty but it was gonna be worth it.
    Last edited by Mikestokman; 02-18-2014 at 02:14 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe

The car came with a few sweet upgrades that I wasnt fully aware of when i bought it. Full uuc exhaust, H&R coilovers, H&R rear camber arms, and upgraded motor mounts. My first mod when i was bored was to paint all the aero matching because the front bumper was mangled and I like the of my old car more then the solid red. So i scuffed everything and painted it satin black.

- - - Updated - - -

Next job was swapping the interior pieces that I modded in the old car into this one and the m3 stuff into that so i could sell it.

Attachment 486209

Got some parts, that got broken in the crash, to make it move, and cleaned some stuff in the engine bay,

Attachment 486210
    Last edited by Mikestokman; 02-18-2014 at 02:19 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Next up was straightening the frame. Took it to my dads shop and had at 'er.

Last edited by Mikestokman; 02-18-2014 at 02:23 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    And this is how it currently sits.

BD97EB96-A249-4E9E-A2C6-CE06877A1804-954-0000011467CCF0B7_zps65039824.jpg 0EA82B21-DCA2-4D4A-A327-92920F957ECC-954-000001146EA79F2C_zpsbcda4647.jpg F9A22D00-E947-4016-90B2-5B81723127EF-255-00000027ED0361B4_zpsd96cc9d0.jpg EE3C3631-346A-410F-AC1E-3A28E46D7868-255-00000027D985E818_zps76eaeb95.jpg

Quite happy with the outcome and still have a bunch of things to clean up before its a finished product and ready for race season but for now Im happy with the result. And for a car that Im into for 400$ its not too shabby.

thanks for looking!
    Mike.

My Cars
    e36 that wont die
    She is looking good so far mike. I cant wait to see her sliding

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by e36 sloth View Post
    She is looking good so far mike. I cant wait to see her sliding
    Thanks! I suck at making build threads here apparently haha. Definatly excited to get out on track. Too much winter here... It's tempting to get it done and make the trip out to evergreen and go get some early season practice in. Gonna machine up some rack spacers tomorrow and try and get a tiny bit more angle out of the car before I can afford the slr kit. Looking at the clearance between frame and tire, I should be able to get away with a 225-235 tire with some slip on spacers @20mm. 17x7.5 et21(after spacer) gonna pull the front end off again tomorrow and paint my frame rails and replace all the belts and the broken pulley.

My Cars
    e36 that wont die
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    Thanks! I suck at making build threads here apparently haha. Definatly excited to get out on track. Too much winter here... It's tempting to get it done and make the trip out to evergreen and go get some early season practice in. Gonna machine up some rack spacers tomorrow and try and get a tiny bit more angle out of the car before I can afford the slr kit. Looking at the clearance between frame and tire, I should be able to get away with a 225-235 tire with some slip on spacers @20mm. 17x7.5 et21(after spacer) gonna pull the front end off again tomorrow and paint my frame rails and replace all the belts and the broken pulley.
    You should be fine running the 235's, My old roommate is running 235's on 15mm spacers if i remember right. Good luck on the belts, should be fun!

My Cars
    1985 bmw 318i coupe
    Yah B.C. You also should make the pictures bigger so more people see the vents in the hood, they are sick

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Haha I would if I knew how... I tried importing them from photobucket and I think that's why I had to break it up into 4 posts :/ I'm contemplating doing the vents in the m3 aswell but I dunno how it would look with the red paint...

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    So since my steering rack is blown, and we just got a clean 325i at picknpull, i got a new steering rack and tie rods.

36B3C856-9EF0-475A-922E-1BB214C8CA25_zpsbcwqtkgw.jpg

and i installed my rack spacers to see how much i would need to shim out my wheel. This is with contours (17x7.5+41)

5CEBA02B-11F9-45AC-890B-FD1110B78F90_zpstaclz8mg.jpg E2D77EF0-2EE9-408A-AA30-675B7444EC90_zps4sbkuhru.jpg

and this is with rack spacers and motorsport wheels (17x7.5+21 with wheel spacer)

F1090364-2111-41B3-8486-C127A658A06A_zpsnophahzn.jpg 7348662D-7508-44D0-9294-90A4A49B1C50_zpsuwxdxvyh.jpg

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    And last but not least I freshened up my hydro ebrake and put in some stainless bushings so it wont be sloppy on track and break like last year.

0BD9A7E3-844B-48A0-8FBF-279A6D43FC18_zpsoleikt5c.jpg

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Havent updated in a while but been working on it a bunch, so here it is.

Painted the nose piece, reworked my fan bracket, steering rack and everything has been swapped over.

next up was my messed up hood latches, pins are cheap and easy, so I did that.

Last edited by Mikestokman; 02-18-2014 at 02:28 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Then we went and did a little shakedown/ practice day and the car drifts way better then the 318!

And this is how it sits right now with skirts installed. cage will be welded in pretty soon, and Im having shifter issues so ive got to mess around with shift linkage at some point.

Last edited by Mikestokman; 02-18-2014 at 02:30 AM.

My Cars
    98 328is
    What kinda wheels are those on the 318? Those are exactly what i want for dailies.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero27 View Post
    What kinda wheels are those on the 318? Those are exactly what i want for dailies.
    They are old school riken mesh wheels off like an old trans am. 16x9.5+38 and I had to run an 8 mm spacer up front to clear the strut

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Update time:

been forever since ive updated this thread because ive been too busy falling in love with this car!

To catch everyone up:

Made a door card that doesnt have clearance issues with my seat,

Bought a new mishimoto rad, overheating issues are all gone temps have been consistant ever since.

Went and got an allignment from a friend that works at a shop. running a bit of toe out in the front now, seems to work well.

My friend bought a tube bender to do his tube front/crash bar for his proam car, so we spend a day building a 4 point cage for my car. free things are cool. going to add on the front half this winter more then likely, but this was quick and easy and cost me like 200~ in dom.

Full interior in a racecar? damn yeah.

Battery relocated, painted all the things. My factory location was rusting away so its 110% safer there.

Finally got an m bumper off a missile car that a friend bought

Got 5x120-5x114.3 adapters for the front so I can run all my stock m wheels in the rear and buy decent size/offset wheels for cheap when I do an angle mod (more then the rack spacers, probably slr..)

And thats up to date. just competed in the first comp day of the year and didnt qualify.. only took top 8 qualifiers and based on the general consensus in the pits i should have been right up there. had 2 solid qualifying runs but not enough to make the cut. not a big deal, huge improvement over last year and i could not be any happier.

I think next on the mod list is poly rear bushings everywhere, but we'll see.
    till then,

My Cars
    98 328is
    damn, them door cards! are they aluminum? would you consider making some to sell? my leather cards are #$%^.

also, digging that cage!
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 11-03-2014 at 06:10 PM. Reason: profanity

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Only one side is like that the other is still the floppy oem one so passengers have something to hold on to. Yeah it's aluminum and wood for the speaker hole spacer (lol) so far too ghetto to consider selling haha. More so made it because you can get a v.i. For not having door cards and ain't nobody got time for that! If you seriously wanted some just go to any sheet metal shop with like a cardboard template of what you're after and it would be cheap and easy for them to cut out. Took me 15 minutes at work to do the outside shape. I just riveted it straight to the door frame with some foam tape in between, doesn't rattle at all (seriously, nothing)

My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    Only one side is like that the other is still the floppy oem one so passengers have something to hold on to. Yeah it's aluminum and wood for the speaker hole spacer (lol) so far too ghetto to consider selling haha. More so made it because you can get a v.i. For not having door cards and ain't nobody got time for that! If you seriously wanted some just go to any sheet metal shop with like a cardboard template of what you're after and it would be cheap and easy for them to cut out. Took me 15 minutes at work to do the outside shape. I just riveted it straight to the door frame with some foam tape in between, doesn't rattle at all (seriously, nothing)
    honestly, i was really digging the fact you kept the speaker. ive never seen that on an e36. i may have to do that idea of cardboard.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Speaker was easy too! Just made another template for that, cut it out of a sheet of like 1" plywood I think and ran 4 bolts with a nylock nut through everything. Then you just need to make another hole in the aluminum so the magnet can sit through it. Doesn't hit the door if you keep it in the stock location. I'm pretty sure I used 0.04" aluminum sheet metal for the skin and if you go to most sheet metal shops they will most likely have some scratched stuff that you could get for cheap/ free.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Maintenance time!

Valve cover gasket, inside was all clean and thats was a bit of a relief.

Poly mounts that came in the car were ,so i made some at work based off the vorshlag design. also found out that the front subframe had the reinforcement tabs welded in already. bonus.

Oem tranny mounts were split too, so i made nylon ones of those too.

And finally an e46 came into the scrap yard so i got some lca's. i modified a set of ground control camber plates for a friends e90 335i track car so he gave me his old ast top hats which i should be able to modify to work on my e36..
    also ordered some delrin so i can make the lca lollipop bushing since I have seen how simple the ones that slr sells look to make.

And lastly, some pics from the last event. next event is on sunday so ill get to see if the stiff motor/trans mounts feel much better.

Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 07-18-2014 at 07:34 PM. Reason: profanity

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    great progress! Looks like a blast
    1996 328i (m52B28US) OBD1 euro ZF 5spd. 3.23LSD conversion / Chem. PnP Head/ DINAN stg.2 CHIP/ VAC race valves/ S52 cams/ A/C delete/ fan delete/ Washer Fluid resv delete/ ARP head studs/ Cometic 140MLS / VAC Solid Engine/trans Mounts/ CAI / 2.5"Borla race exahaust/ NGK R spark plugs, M50 Mani, S50 Oil Res, Riot Racing HFTB, SAMCO Hoses, JBR FW, X-Brace, Mtech Front Bumper, RE RSMs, stoptech SS lines, Bilstein sports, H&R Race Springs, S52 Reinforcement plates, Kosei K1 w/ bridgestone RE960as, Brembo/stoptech slotted rotors, M3 Trailing arms, M3 Calipers, M3 Axles, ACS strut brace, weight reduction.

http://mbuild.blogspot.com/

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    So a little while ago I kindof jokingly suggested that someone send me some ebay angle kit specs. Kevin (tairyhesticles) shot me a message and some measurements and it kinda got the ball rolling. Originally I was just going to make an exact ebay replica, but then after looking at some pics of seans kit, i figured i could machine most of the parts myself at work, so I sent him a message seeing if i could just buy the block itself and make everything else and started building my stuff, by the time sean got a bit of free time to reply, i had already decided to just give it a shot at making everything myself so heres my attempt. (PLEASE NOTE:I never plan on selling these, basically just a one off pair to save myself some money/get creative with my build. i fully respect the time and r&d that goes into the slr kit.)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Im pretty pumped on how its turning out so far. not entirely sure how my ackerman measurement i did is going to work out so if it doesnt self steer at all, ill probably slot the hole and make an offset washer like what it looks like the slr one does. all thats left is threading the bolts for the knuckle and then making the angle spacer look a bit nicer.
    Last edited by Mikestokman; 07-18-2014 at 12:30 AM.

My Cars
    '96 328i vert
    Gotta love making chips. Good work man!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustyfriend View Post
    Gotta love making chips. Good work man!
    Thanks! It's getting to the point where I'm happy with it. Probably install the arms and stuff next weekend when I can allign it, then it should be done for the rest of the drift season, then in the winter I'll tear the subframe out, mod the trailing arm bushing mount thing (mike_e36 style) and make new bushings for everything. Undecided if I should go delrin or solid aluminum for bushings but when the time comes ill research it more.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast