Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Budget Drift car v2. 1995 E36 M3

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    I haven't got a weight yet but will later today, I was going to have it balanced, but since everything has been done on a cnc and is symmetrical I think I'm just going to run it, I'm tired of having to wait on other people for parts to make this run, and since it would be getting balanced by my dads friend "when he has some free time" sorta deal that could take a while.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    #yolo
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Pretty much. I'm not tooo worried maybe...

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    It looks like a prolapsed asshole pushing out a blue dildo.
    Mind if we keep the commentary a little less...vivid?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I could draw it if you want. I'm thinking sailor moon.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Got the motor out of the car last night to mock everything up, fits like a finger in a bum (tight)!

Only issue I can see (or maybe issue, I dunno) is that when installing the slave, it touches the pivot arm inside and has about an inch to push in before it's seated on the trans. Only reason I call it an issue is because I can't remember how much I had to push in the one in my m3 before it seated. By looking at the piston on the slave itself, it looks like there was only an inch of travel to begin with, but I'll probably pull the one off my m3 just to double check. And if it's not quite enough preload on the slave I'll just shim the throw out bearing slightly to make it perfect.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    So the flywheel ended up being 17.6 lbs, kinda disappointed as my goal was 14 ish, but it's still not terrible and I could make it lighter if I really wanted but that would mean sacrificing some of the thickness underneath the friction surface and then I think I'd run the risk of warping it under abuse (maybe I'm just paranoid, I don't really know how hot a clutch gets). Bay is all painted now and I can start reassembly this week, going to make a shim for the slave afterall, just to be on the safe side as the one I took off in a junkyard had about 1/8" more preload then mine and it's easy to do now rather then pull it later when it doesn't work in the car.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    It's not like the V8 revs like a honda motor anyway. I am going to assume most of the mass of the flywheel's extra weight is close to the axis of rotation. In which case, the weight won't make much of a difference.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    It's not like the V8 revs like a honda motor anyway. I am going to assume most of the mass of the flywheel's extra weight is close to the axis of rotation. In which case, the weight won't make much of a difference.
    Maybe your v8 doesn't rev like a Honda....

keep it up, Mike! You'll be annihilating tires in no time!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Yeah i thought of that aswell which is why I'm not going to worry about changing it, just going to run it as is and if it's not that sweet I can always take more off next time it's out of the car. No big deal. Dropped my ecu off at a friends shop to get them to unlock it with hp tuners and load a base tune so I can at least fire it when the time comes. I think all I really need to buy to make it run is oil and a fuel pressure regulator off a vette and then hook up a few wires and relays and bang bang.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Turns out I'm fully dumb, had the throw out bearing in 90* off, so once I put it in the right way the slave preload is now perfect. Idiot...

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    ID 10 T

My first clutch job, I forgot the throw out bearing. Was JUST finishing bolting the driveshaft back on and was like... oh.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Bay painted, now for the fun part, final assembly.

Also getting a pair of top hats waterjetted out at my work so I can have all the camber/caster adjustment I could ever want/ need when I build my new angle kit and control arms. Starting to get excited about this thing, but keep reality-checking myself with a massive list of all the shit left to do. But it's ok, having no timeframe on when I need this thing running makes me a little bit less stressed

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Keep it up! Looks great!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Yeah, looks TOO nice. I'd be reluctant to treat it as badly as I would want to haha.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    I have no automotive sympathy, the car will be driven exactly as hard as I drive the other car. I just want to do this one right from the start since I put so much effort into the parts on it haha. Still gonna send it, and I'm sure it will end up looking as fcked as my m3 as the years go on... but that's ok because by then I'm sure I'll find an e46 coupe to toss the motor into.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Are you kind of planning ahead with the mindset of making everything work equally well in an E46 chassis as you go along?

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    If I ball up my m3, I'm thinking e46 coupe as well.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Nope, when I swap everything into an e46 it will be a whole new ballgame, but if all I have to make is a motor and trans mount, that's the easiest part of this whole deal

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Knocked out a bunch of little shit this weekend and just basically got a lot of things fully mounted that weren't mounted before I painted the bay. Ordered a fuel pressure regulator, so now once I add the relays to the wiring harness it should be able to run. Finished up the shifter mount and will probably fab up the linkage this week, I'm happy with how it turned out for the most part and the throw is short enough that I won't be punching my dash which is always a plus...

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    You guys and your e46 coupes, good! More sedans for me, haha!

My Cars
    E46
    Quote Originally Posted by jalopi View Post
    weird, for some reason they looked wider than that to me

after lengthening my control arms i don't have issues rubbing the frame rails any more, but holy crap do i rub the front of the wheel well. thinking i'm gonna have to completely remove it. ever seen anyone do this in person? the only thing i can find online is chelsea's car

Attachment 550275

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Pulled the rear subframe out on Thursday after work, made new solid subframe risers, diff bushings, and the rtab bearings, and installed everything tonight with shorter springs and an eyeball alignment. The Rtab's are sick and I'm so stoked to try them out, installed a grease nipple so I can pump em up if they ever make noise, but they should work great.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast