Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142
Results 1,026 to 1,041 of 1041

Thread: 740i to M7 transformation - S62 swap

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    They won't let you bring batteries and I don't have a jump box.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Really..! Well I'm sure its the same sparks safety thing again - and if they won't let you bring batteries they prob won't let you bring the jumppack either. Not having a jump pack isn't a hurdle, that's a cheap quick stop at HFT but if they would deny you anyway...

Kinda sucks as the trick works great for that, or jumping window motors, etc.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    They won't let you bring batteries and I don't have a jump box. Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    A 12V battery from a drill will run the seats if wired directly to the seat. I use an old Dewalt battery, never arouses suspicion.
    Last edited by BlueCrabMafia; 04-24-2016 at 04:02 PM.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Yeah, I thought of the drill battery thing, but my batteries are all 18v.

Not to worry, I didn't need the seats anyways. I do have a 99+ seat connector for just that purpose though.

So, we went back to the yard today and the first thing we did was Steve got started on cutting the brackets out. This time he had a brand new blade and fresh battery as well as several pry bars that we didn't have yesterday. We also had a drill for drilling out spot welds between the sheets of metal, which allowed the cutting blades to work much better. I also decided to grab the front window glass, rear quarter glass and window tracks since they are dual pane and not delaminating. I couldn't get the rear sliding windows due to the i vs il issue, but I'm not too worried about that. I will keep checking ebay.de for those, as well as the extended leather rear door panels.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Yeah, I thought of the drill battery thing, but my batteries are all 18v.

Not to worry, I didn't need the seats anyways. I do have a 99+ seat connector for just that purpose though.

So, we went back to the yard today and the first thing we did was Steve got started on cutting the brackets out. This time he had a brand new blade and fresh battery as well as several pry bars that we didn't have yesterday. We also had a drill for drilling out spot welds between the sheets of metal, which allowed the cutting blades to work much better. I also decided to grab the front window glass, rear quarter glass and window tracks since they are dual pane and not delaminating. I couldn't get the rear sliding windows due to the i vs il issue, but I'm not too worried about that. I will keep checking ebay.de for those, as well as the extended leather rear door panels.

You think package can make in through the ocean unbroken?
    double pan are very fragile, and if you have door ding to fix you can't do it without pulling glass and/or door trim off

http://m.ebay.de/itm/Orig-BMW-E38-7e...247?nav=SEARCH

- - - Updated - - -

I not that been holding me from buying that ^ set
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by NordmanMg View Post
    You think package can make in through the ocean unbroken?
    double pan are very fragile, and if you have door ding to fix you can't do it without pulling glass and/or door trim off

http://m.ebay.de/itm/Orig-BMW-E38-7e...247?nav=SEARCH

- - - Updated - - -

I not that been holding me from buying that ^ set
    Yeah, I saw that set, which is what prompted me to go back and get these from the parts car. I got both front windows, the rear quarters and the window guides in the front for $108, including the brackets for the reclining seats. I found a couple rear 750i glass pieces on ebay.de by themselves, but they're $90 each and don't include window guides or the inside weather strip that's required.

To be honest, I'm not sure it's any different shipping glass in the same country than it is shipping outside the country, so if they pack them well, it should be fine. Only thing is that since there are more stops involved and longer distances, there are more chances for something to break. The seller has a very high rating, so I'm guessing he's not new to shipping glass. If you use foam that shapes to the glass and surrounds all corners, it should be pretty well protected, as long as the box itself doesn't get bent or something pointy doesn't slam into the side of the box. I'm not too worried about the rear doors though, so I'm not even sure I want to get into that right now. I'll do the fronts and the rear quarter glass and see how they do. I do need the inside chrome trim for the front left door, so if anyone has one, let me know. The one on the parts car was taken for some reason. It would need to be from a 750il or any car with the double-pane glass.

I really wouldn't worry about pulling the door card to fix a door ding. It's not that hard to do and would make it easier anyways.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    E38 740iL, E39 520i
    Hi pal. I stumbled across this post when looking up e38 subframe info.
    I am not quite going to the same lengths as this but I am swapping out the auto trans in my 740iL for a 6 speed manual and also have an m5 lsd on the way with the subframe and driveshafts. I was wondering if you had done the lsd swap and if so how easy is it to do and what's involved? I haven't been able to find any info online at all about how it's done so really have no idea.
    Awesome work by the way. Nice to see some others keeping these cars alive and well!

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffyhead69 View Post
    Hi pal. I stumbled across this post when looking up e38 subframe info.
    I am not quite going to the same lengths as this but I am swapping out the auto trans in my 740iL for a 6 speed manual and also have an m5 lsd on the way with the subframe and driveshafts. I was wondering if you had done the lsd swap and if so how easy is it to do and what's involved? I haven't been able to find any info online at all about how it's done so really have no idea.
    Awesome work by the way. Nice to see some others keeping these cars alive and well!
    It's so funny that you posted this, because I'm about to pull the powertrain out and put it in my 530i and part out the 7. I did not do the LSD swap, but Trevor (007008) did and put it in his thread. It requires cutting the subframe and moving the rear mounts to the e39 locations, so most people don't do it. There are other ways of doing a LSD in your e38, but you'll have to search for the threads on that.

-Paul

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    What makes you want to swap the drivetrain to the 530i? Might as well have just bought an M5 at that point. I feel like M7 is cooler because it never came like that from the factory. Or do you just not enjoy the body style/size of the 7?
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    What makes you want to swap the drivetrain to the 530i? Might as well have just bought an M5 at that point. I feel like M7 is cooler because it never came like that from the factory. Or do you just not enjoy the body style/size of the 7?
    I love the style of the 7, I've just still got so much to do left to get it comfortable, which was the whole point and so I'm instead going to put the power train into the car that is completely sorted. Read my build thread on my 530i and you'll see I've already done most of the stuff to make it a M5. There's no way I could find a M5 in as good a shape for what I've put into my 530i. The 530i is getting M5 seats, headliner, and trunk spoiler at the moment and I've already done most everything else. It will have the full M5 drive train as well, including LSD and axles. It will be getting the traction struts as well. Only thing it won't have right away is the m5 trunk floor and exhaust, but I will probably do a muffler delete and make room on the trunk floor.

I haven't done the m5 bumpers yet, but I have the front one already, just needs paint and belly pan/porkchops.

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    So, the partout has officially started, though some parts won't be available until after about September 12th or so when I get the S62 swapped over to my 530i. I've got a lot of parts already spoken for, but there will still be some decent parts left. After all the spoken for parts are dealt with, I'll pull anything else of value off and put it in storage to be sold later, then the shell will be going to salvage. Today I sold the rear bumper, since I don't need that to get the car to Raleigh to have the drivetrain removed.

This not going to be the partout thread, but I will be starting one in the classifieds soon. If you are wondering if something is going to be available, just PM me.

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Well, as the saying goes, where one chapter ends, another begins. The E38 M7 project is officially over for my car. We brought the car up to Redshift's place this weekend and starting this morning, we pulled the heart out of the beast. It took us about 6 hours or so total to remove the engine, transmission, driveshaft, exhaust, radiator, etc. from the car, then reinstall the entire front subframe with all suspension still intact so we could move the car back out of the shop. Brian needs his workspace this week, so we couldn't leave it in there. This wasn't something we had planned to do this weekend, but we figured it would be good to get it done ahead of next weekend, which will save us a lot of time. The S62, transmission, heater control valve and M5 steering box will all be transferred to my 530i starting next Friday. The rest of the car is pretty much going to be parted out and lots of parts are already sold or spoken for.

It's been a fun ride, but it was time to move on. My friend that drove the car up from Charlotte to Raleigh with me said he completely understood why I'm undertaking this new project with this engine. The chassis is just tired and worn and needs to be retired. It wasn't really taken care of well before I got it and it was just too far gone to be right for me. I learned a huge amount from this project and I wouldn't have taken on the many others that I've done since if it hadn't been for this one. The fact that I was able to pull everything out in such a short amount of time goes to show how comfortable I've become with these cars. I pretty much know every hose, wire connector, sensor, and most bolts like the back of my hand now. The nice thing about where the engine is going is that the only custom thing that will have to be done is the exhaust.

The engine only has about 59k miles on it and the transmission has about 157k on it. The S62 is getting all new camshaft sensors and the transmission is getting all detents replaced with new parts.

Once I get a new thread started for the e39 530i->M5 conversion, I'll post a link here for anyone that wants to continue following along. Pictures of the transfer will be posted next weekend when I get back up there as we were in kind of a rush today to get done and get the shop cleaned up, so pics weren't taken.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the link to the new 549i6 build thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...n-Build-Thread

-Paul

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Sorry to see it get broken down but logic seems sound. Would have been great to see it go into another M7 build but this will be a kooky and interesting build, i.e. "who would ever make a 530i into an M5!?!?"... well in this case, it indeed makes sense in a crazy way... (you've got solid starter car, know all the parts, have been around the barn on S62 conversions more than once...)

Good luck P!
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Sorry to see it get broken down but logic seems sound. Would have been great to see it go into another M7 build but this will be a kooky and interesting build, i.e. "who would ever make a 530i into an M5!?!?"... well in this case, it indeed makes sense in a crazy way... (you've got solid starter car, know all the parts, have been around the barn on S62 conversions more than once...)

Good luck P!
    Thanks JC! I'm glad you understand my reasoning .

-Paul

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    You know but many others might not know. Your reasoning for breaking the M7 apart is the same reason I wanted to start with a low mileage car on the current project.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    You know but many others might not know. Your reasoning for breaking the M7 apart is the same reason I wanted to start with a low mileage car on the current project.
    That's exactly right

-Paul

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142