Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: 740i to M7 transformation - S62 swap

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    From what I read, the M5 debuted the DMTL system in 2000. Also, I don't see why using it on the e38 would be a problem. The three electrical wires that connect to it go directly to the DME (MSS52 in my case) and the rest of the charcoal activated container is the same, so the DMTL unit should just mount right up to it and then I just disconnect and plug the vacuum hose that went to the LDP. I also found the Bosch version of the DMTL for $65 at pelican. Everything else should be the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by age109 View Post
    I believe all x5 use dmtl from 99 up

Here is some info on new system. Realoem shows dmtl for x5 and no ldp.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...HL9pmjX9VqDXtg
    That's basically the same info I read on the M5's DMTL.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    From what I read, the M5 debuted the DMTL system in 2000. Also, I don't see why using it on the e38 would be a problem. The three electrical wires that connect to it go directly to the DME (MSS52 in my case) and the rest of the charcoal activated container is the same, so the DMTL unit should just mount right up to it and then I just disconnect and plug the vacuum hose that went to the LDP. I also found the Bosch version of the DMTL for $65 at pelican. Everything else should be the same.

- - - Updated - - -

That's basically the same info I read on the M5's DMTL.
    Cool I'm interested If you do the swap of the two. Although seems like a lot of work just for the cluster. in your case it makes sense to do it if you can.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I don't think it'd work for people still using the e38 DME program since that program was not meant to use the three wires, but I would imagine that if you were running the X5 4.6 or 540i program that it would handle it just fine. Like I said, the only wires on it go directly to the DME, so if the DME is expecting them, they should work. $65 seems like a pretty reasonable price to pay for the lights to work and the engine to run properly. For me, it's pretty much required.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Anyone know if a SAP from a 2003 530i would work? I'm running a SAP delete on my e39 and while I realize the part numbers are different, I was just curious if anyone knew. It'd be a lot cheaper (read: free) to do it and stay legal. Honestly, I'll probably due the SAP delete on the S62 as well, but I was just curious.

- - - Updated - - -

Ordered a DMTL pump today and Clemster on M5board is sending me the related hoses and a wiring pigtail.

- - - Updated - - -

So, I was reading about Nexgen7's e38 s62 swap today and I came across something I hadn't even thought I'd need to do. He said he had to modify the hood in order to fit over the S62. Does anyone that has seen this swap done or has done it themselves have any details on whether or not modification is really necessary and if so, what modification? I've sent a PM to Nexgen7, but he doesn't seem to be interested in responding, so I figured I'd ask everyone else.

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Just to keep everyone in the loop, I'm still in Charlotte until Friday night, so I haven't been able to work on the car yet, but my mechanic did tell me yesterday that he got the fuel line rebuilt and ready for pressure testing and also got the new exhaust bolts pressed into the headers. I've ordered a new heater hose that will be cut to fit and then we can get the engine and transmission mounted in the car. I also received my new fuel leak detection pump for an M5 and Clemster is hooking me up with the related hoses and wiring pigtail. At this point, I don't see anything that will prevent us getting the engine installed and likely fired up this weekend. I never heard anything about the hood, so we'll just have to see what we need to modify when we get the engine in. Also, once the transmission is installed, we should be able to get the center console put back together and all the stuff under the steering column. I also got my M35080 programmer set up and successfully zero'd out the mileage on my M5 cluster and set the VIN to my e38's VIN. I still need to make sure the needles are where they need to be, but that might wait until after I get the car back to Charlotte. I found out that the e38 cluster has the settings needed for the S62, so that should get me by for a little while without the oil temp lights and such. I'm not sure about how I feel about the M5 cluster I have. Nightkrawler sold it to me in pieces and I found out after I replaced the ribbon cable that while it has the black face, the electronics are actually from an 03', so it had the M35080 and the yellow backlighting. I was really hoping it was a 00' cluster, which had the orange backlighting and would have been simpler to write the mileage, but oh well. I have the mileage fixed now, but I still would have liked the orange backlighting so that it would match the rest of the car. If anyone has a gray gauge face on a broken cluster, that would at least be a little better. Although, if anyone has a regular cluster with orange led's that they want to sell cheap, I'd be interested. I could use the ones out of my e38 cluster, but it's a perfectly working cluster with perfect pixels, so I don't want to even take it apart.

-Paul

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    subbed..
    97 BMW M3 (s52b32) - VF-Supercharger kit ( Vortech V2-SQ supercharger, 32 pound injectors, VF tuning ), VDO/LeatherZ Gauge Kit (Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and Boost), UUC Motorwerks RSC36 Exhaust, Stainless Steel 6-2 Exhaust Headers, Bilstein Sports, Rear Adjustable Camber bushings, Wheel Spacers 10mm in front 25mm in back, Uprated Clutch, UUC Shift Knob, Short Shifter and Clutch Stop, Cross Brace, Mason Engineering front strut bar, Contour Wheels, Euro Ellipsoid (Angel Eyes) HID Headlights, braided steel brake lines, aluminum thermostat housing, mishimoto aluminum radiator and silicone hoses and a partridge in a pear tree

My Cars
    97 740iL 03 525iT 03 530
    If anyone has a gray gauge face on a broken cluster
    Have a couple of gray gauge faces that are not in clusters. You are welcome to one of them for the cost of postage.

Craig

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    That'd be great Craig!!! PM me paypal info and cost of postage and I'll take one.

-Paul

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    Trevor
    01 749i sporty, build 12/00 "Sports Barge",S62
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F
    81 VW Rabbit Pickup 1.8T,AWW
    03 VW Passat wagon 4.0 W8 6spd

My Cars
    2015 328i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 007008 View Post
    Ugh I can't see anymore photos I have to be a member. That's a sweet build.

My Cars
    Imola740i, turbo eclipse
    Quote Originally Posted by 007008 View Post
    Beat me to the imola s62 swap, will be nice to see more of these swaps popping up.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Yeah, I'd seen that guy's swap and I've registered to the forum there to ask a question. He responded to a couple of my questions, but I have a bit more that need an answer.

I got the engine and transmission in today with new header gaskets, engine mounts and transmission mounts, but we ran into a bit of a snag. We're having a clearance issue with the heater valves mounted on the firewall on the drivers side. I guess I need to mount it somewhere else and extend the heater hoses, but I was hoping to hear from anyone else as to where they might have moved it to. I think that's the only thing physically holding us up right now, so the sooner we can figure it out, the better.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's where we got to today:

20140104_192841 by blackknighti30, on Flickr

20140104_192833 by blackknighti30, on Flickr

And here is the culprit as to why we weren't able to complete the engine install yet:

20131228_101121 by blackknighti30, on Flickr

As you can see, we already turned the valve around in order to get a bit more room for the hose at the bottom. I guess we're going to need to relocate it.

-Paul

My Cars
    2015 328i M Sport
    Wow nice progress. S62 looks so nice in the e38s engine compartment

My Cars
    2000 Bmw 750il
    Yeah, I'd seen that guy's swap and I've registered to the forum there to ask a question. He responded to a couple of my questions, but I have a bit more that need an answer.

I got the engine and transmission in today with new header gaskets, engine mounts and transmission mounts, but we ran into a bit of a snag. We're having a clearance issue with the heater valves mounted on the firewall on the drivers side. I guess I need to mount it somewhere else and extend the heater hoses, but I was hoping to hear from anyone else as to where they might have moved it to. I think that's the only thing physically holding us up right now, so the sooner we can figure it out, the better.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's where we got to today:

20140104_192841 by blackknighti30, on Flickr

20140104_192833 by blackknighti30, on Flickr

And here is the culprit as to why we weren't able to complete the engine install yet:

20131228_101121 by blackknighti30, on Flickr

As you can see, we already turned the valve around in order to get a bit more room for the hose at the bottom. I guess we're going to need to relocate it.
    Nice job so far. You can mount it on the drivers side of the engine. Same location you would find it in the 750s.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Update for this past weekend:

So, on Sunday the drivetrain had to come back out in order to relocate the heater control valve and get a better mount made up for the oil filter housing and PS reservoir. We did as 740il97g suggested and mounted it on the drivers side strut tower, but lower than it is on the 750il since we were having issues with the oil filter housing and PS reservoir fitting with it up higher. My mechanic will be finishing the mount this week or next weekend and I will be ordering new 750il heater hoses which won't come in until next week likely. He also will need to bend one more fuel line since we originally had the fuel line coming up right where we moved the heater valve. He is getting really good at building that line now though, LOL. I really do think that this will be the last thing keeping the mechanical parts from getting installed, but I guess we'll see when we get the engine in again. It sure looked good installed in the bay even if it was just for one night.

I'll let everyone know any updates my mechanic gets in the meantime, but I probably won't be working on it again until the 18th and 19th.

-Paul

My Cars
    95 840ci 01M5 05 X5 4.4
    Yes the s62 can be mated to a automatic google coast motorwerks 840ci swap the customer wanted to keep the automatic transmission.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Who said anything about mating the S62 to an automatic?

- - - Updated - - -

Update:

Hey guys, here's a little update on what I got done this weekend. It ended up being a lot, but unfortunately, due to my mechanic having a more urgent job he had to work on, we didn't get the drivetrain installed yet. What I did get done was pretty much all of the wiring needed in the E-Box and center console, but I still need two connectors that go to the switch console.

[IMG] 20140119_150858 by blackknighti30, on Flickr[/IMG]

We also got the brackets made for the oil filter housing, heater control valve, and PS reservoir built and painted as well as the new 750il heater hoses to the relocated heater control valve. We also had to build yet another fuel line, and I think this one should be the last. It has also been tested to hold pressure with no leaks.

[IMG] 20140119_150826 by blackknighti30, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] 20140119_150815 by blackknighti30, on Flickr[/IMG]

I also installed the new fuel leak detection pump. It meant I could remove the vacuum line going from the engine all the way back to the charcoal canister, which cleaned things up a bit under the car. I also ended up getting a new model pump that is supposedly the one used in 9/00 model and up M5's, but based on the electrical connecter I got from Clemster on M5board.com, it should have been a 3-pin electrical connection and not a 4-pin like I received. I think there might be some kind of adapter cable that converts the 3-pin to a 4-pin, but I don't really know. I wired up the three pins that the M5 supposedly uses, but I still might need to run one more wire from the pump all the way to the ECU. We'll see though.

I also was looking over the M5 engine today and noticed that the inlets to the A/C compressor had a bunch of metal bits inside and we came to the conclusion that it was either shot or would be soon, so we looked to the compressor off the M62TU that I know was working when we took the engine out and sure enough, it was clean inside, so we removed it from the M62TU, cleaned it up, and installed it on the S62. Apparently they both are made by Denso in Japan and have the exact same part number, so that made me feel better. It's interesting that I think that might be one of the only parts on the car not made in Germany, or at least possibly the only one made in Japan.

So, that's the update so far. the only thing we lack now before putting the drivetrain in is the heater hoses need some kind of bracket to keep them up along the firewall. They're hanging down and will only hang lower once they have coolant in them. After that, we should be good and that should be happening next weekend. Expect a big update then.

-Paul

My Cars
    Two '01 740iLs
    - Sean
    RIP Blitzkrieg

My Cars
    2000 740iS
    Blacknight 530i- I have the greatest respect for anyone not just attempting, but apparently succeeding in a project like this. I wish you complete victory!

My question though, is- why did you go this difficult route? Why not just install a blower on the M62, and crank up the boost ( along with appropriate tuning) to the desired power level?

Regards,
    M.R.
    Last edited by M.Rad.; 01-20-2014 at 09:08 PM.
    2000 740i Sport Anthrazit Metalic M62TU 4.4 V8/M-Pars 214K Miles!;
    2011 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe 6A Raven Black/ 6.2L Supercharged/556HP;
    '06 Dodge Magnum SRT-8 Inferno Red/ 6.1L Hemi/ Dyno-368HP / 371lb-ft; ;
    SOLD'91 850i Calypso Red M70 5.0 V-12;
    SOLD'95 540i Schwartz MetalicM60 4.0 V8;
    SOLD'85 635CSi Cosmos BlauM30 3.5 I6;
    SOLD'97 Lexus SC400
    Maroon/4.0L DOHC V-8.;
    1970 Torino. 351C-4V/ 3.71Locker/ C6. Yeah, I'm workin' on it...;
    91 Honda CR500 (2stroke,liquid cooled MXer)/230lb/60hp/3.8lb per HP./ FMF Gnarly pipe. Top speed 105mph...in the dirt;
    1950 International/Farmall Model-M Top Speed-17mph in 5th. It's a tractor, Bish!

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Rad. View Post
    Blacknight 530i- I have the greatest respect for anyone not just attempting, but apparently succeeding in a project like this. I wish you complete victory!

My question though, is- why did you go this difficult route? Why not just install a blower on the M62, and crank up the boost ( along with appropriate tuning) to the desired power level?

Regards,
    M.R.
    Well, I bought the car cheap with bad timing chain guides with every intention of replacing the engine with an M5 motor not only for the fact that I'm in love with the e38 and have been since it came out in '95, but also because I have driven a couple M5's, and almost purchased one a few years ago, and love the power and smoothness of the S62. This way I get the best of both worlds. Plus, while it has been a learning experience, it's not really been difficult, just a bit pricey. Considering what I paid for the S62 and all of the other parts, the price really hasn't been that much different than rebuilding the 189k motor, buying a supercharger, etc. Also, the fact that there are so few of these that have been built. I also plan on putting together a DIY kit with parts lists and more detailed instructions to sell for a reasonable price or offering the service along with my mechanic to do the swap for others in the future. Basically, after we get the install figured out on mine, doing another one could be done in a weekend or two with all of the parts already purchased.

Thanks for the support!

-Paul

My Cars
    LS E46
    Not really sure how this could be called an M7 conversion. You would need an S70 for that.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Oh, then it would be easy for you to list all the "M" cars that used a S70, right? Would you rather I call it a 750csi, or maybe a 749csi?

-Paul

My Cars
    2015 328i M Sport
    Lets just keep it simple? S62 swap E38

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    MICHAEL, I could do that, but by the time it's done, why shouldn't it be called a ///M7? It will have just about all the parts that make an M5 different from a 540i. I know some people may not like me calling it that, but at the end of the day it's my car and I can call it whatever I feel like calling it.

-Paul

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Looks like an M7 to me! 740 with M5 motor... Simple as that! I guess it will also need the rear sport differential and sport seats swapped in as well. Im sure your way ahead of all on this though... Good luck and nice progress. Ill be tuned in for sure...
    Last edited by purplecty; 01-22-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast