Thread: Even though I like my 540 a lot, this beast is trying to get me in trouble

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i

Even though I like my 540 a lot, this beast is trying to get me in trouble

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...59214968&Log=0

Would somebody please buy it before I get in trouble. Of course, it's overpriced but I really like the look Brembo brakes, SSR wheels and Dinan upgrades. I contacted the guy and he provided me with HD pics and pretty decent maintenance records. If it checks out, I wouldn't go higher than 15k.
    Last edited by BMW540san; 12-09-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    2010 BMW M6 SMG Coupe * Black Saphire Metallic * Full Leather Merino Black
    2019 BMW X3 M40i * Alpine White * Mocha Leather
    Former:
    1997 BMW 532M (528i with 3.2 S52 engine from E36 M3 / 5 speed manual)
    1998 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    2003 BMW M5

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Seems a lil high, no matter how good condition it is. It's got pretty good mileage on it though.

Lol, KBB disagrees with his asking price.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Looks nice and tight. Why not go give it a drive and see how it feels. If it makes it for you, treat yourself to an early xmas present!

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Quote Originally Posted by RuskiE39 View Post
    Seems a lil high, no matter how good condition it is. It's got pretty good mileage on it though.

The Brembo brake kit, 19" SSR wheels and Dinan upgrades were installed by previous owner and quick check put the cost over 10k. I don't know if the current owner paid the premium price for it, but he's wrong to assume that he'll get the premium price because of the upgrade. It just doesn't work that way. I actually like the upgrades a lot, but the reality is different.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Looks nice and tight. Why not go give it a drive and see how it feels. If it makes it for you, treat yourself to an early xmas present!
    Philly, I like the car a lot, but I love my marriage more, lol. Last year I refused the $9500 offer for my car and now I wish that maybe I should've have taken it.

- - - Updated - - -

You're right. If this was the car with complete records from day one, excellent condition etc... I could see 17K maybe as the reasonable price.
    The $9500 offer for my car was well over KBB for my car, but the buyer liked my 60+ pages folder and extremely good condition considering the miles and age.

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    Damn the torpedos, that is a nice car and I'd gladly overpay for it if I hadn't already overpaid for my 530i. Also, I'm happy this is far away from me else I'd be tempted to just go for it.
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Your exactly right, what's the market like up there for BMWs? I don't know about there but here in the PNW, M5's in that year and mileage area sell for 11-16K depending on condition. But then again that is always the asking price and not the sale price.

I'm always interested in what M5 prices are around here because i have been looking for a 530i for a couple months now so it comes as a shock to me to see one asking that much.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    Too many people with tons of $ here in the CA Bay Area. M5 E39s sell high from what I've seen.

Supply/demand is all out of whack too which doesn't help.
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    F10 N52
    That M5 would be selling easy for $25k in CA. It's amazing how regional difference abound when it comes to certain cars.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Whats the wifes limit? Tell her it will be more reliable and you will not have to work on it as much. LOL.

Seriosly, get him to lower to 15K and pull the trigger. Nice upgrades, and I love the wheels, but I wonder if the 19's are a bit rough at times. Your roads are likely a bit better than up here though. The handleing must be sweet.

I got the SC and needed to do the clutch, and soon the diff. All that costs $$ and its still a 540. The M5 has the whole package and that one looks damn nice and well cared for.

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Here something to tempt you. With all the engine work done!! Destroys that other m5....pffft.....
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...s-of-work-done!

...........minus the fancy mods. Priced to sell.

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    C63 P31, SLK55, B8 S4
    Your exactly right, what's the market like up there for BMWs? I don't know about there but here in the PNW, M5's in that year and mileage area sell for 11-16K depending on condition. But then again that is always the asking price and not the sale price.

I'm always interested in what M5 prices are around here because i have been looking for a 530i for a couple months now so it comes as a shock to me to see one asking that much.
    Yeah right, a car like that for $11,000

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    The wheels are a bit too much for me. Perhaps Ruski might get it.

My Cars
    too many
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenTiger View Post
    That M5 would be selling easy for $25k in CA. It's amazing how regional difference abound when it comes to certain cars.
    not sure about that...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    The wheels are a bit too much for me.

Agreed

My Cars
    03 540i/6,LexusRX350
    E39 M and non M prices are all over the place. The first car looked like it had a cleaner interior. The second car got a great motor if its true and not hacked but the interior is pretty used up and the bumper cracked. I guess it just depends what area and luck of the draw. All the E39s are reaching the magic 10 year old mark when they get into the hands of some non-BMW people who hack them up and sell them for cheap. Drags the price of all the cars down.

I just helped a bud of mine find a non-molested 2002 M5 with 92K on it silver with perfect Silverstone interior 2 owner car for $15,950. When I say perfect interior not scratch, no smell and the driver's seat was not collapsed from some fat ass sweating in it. All in all good deal.

Not on the subject but I just looked at 2002 E46 M3 with 80K, silver black 6 speed that was not burning any oil, good compression, nothing broken and drove great for $12K even. I could buy that one for just under if I wanted it. Just owned by a normal guy who drove it everyday.
    2003 540i/6 Sport Alpine White III-Front and rear OEM M5 bumpers with single cut out, M5 # 65 staggered wheels w/10 mm frt spacers, Hankook Ventus V12 EVO, M5 Ft / Rear brakes, SS lines with front Ft / Rear Euro rotors w/aluminum hats, CDV delete, M5 3:15 LSD, Ground Control Coilovers w/remote adjust for rears, M5 rear sway bar w/Beastpower mounts, white gages with stainless rings, M5 pedal covers, Dinan exhaust w/ 18 in Magnaflow resinator, Dinan CAI/High flow intake runners/Throttle Body/Mass Air Meter, Dinan Stage 5 software. Zionsville aluminum radiator w/fan delete, 2 speed electric fan, 545i shifter w/ZHP knob, Alcantara interior, Technical Graphite interior trim, LED lighting ///M

"One day the two great masters will be friends"

My Cars
    F10 N52
    Quote Originally Posted by fullthrottle540 View Post
    not sure about that...
    I hope your right, but with those mods and that mileage, I don't think he would have too much trouble selling for low to mid 20s in CA.

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Whats the wifes limit? Tell her it will be more reliable and you will not have to work on it as much. LOL.

Seriosly, get him to lower to 15K and pull the trigger. Nice upgrades, and I love the wheels, but I wonder if the 19's are a bit rough at times. Your roads are likely a bit better than up here though. The handleing must be sweet.

I got the SC and needed to do the clutch, and soon the diff. All that costs $$ and its still a 540. The M5 has the whole package and that one looks damn nice and well cared for.
    I keep blaming it on my wife but I'm the one that can't part with the 540. I'm pretty much stupid for not selling the 540 last year for 10K. It was originally 9.5k and I've met the guy and then basically changed my mind and then he offered me 10K and I still refused. I'm well aware that realistically my car was worth 9k at that time.
    The more I think about it, the wheels might be to much. I think you did the right think going SC. You've got the clutch. now get LSD and you're pretty much setup.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AlpinaM3 View Post
    E39 M and non M prices are all over the place. The first car looked like it had a cleaner interior. The second car got a great motor if its true and not hacked but the interior is pretty used up and the bumper cracked. I guess it just depends what area and luck of the draw. All the E39s are reaching the magic 10 year old mark when they get into the hands of some non-BMW people who hack them up and sell them for cheap. Drags the price of all the cars down.

I just helped a bud of mine find a non-molested 2002 M5 with 92K on it silver with perfect Silverstone interior 2 owner car for $15,950. When I say perfect interior not scratch, no smell and the driver's seat was not collapsed from some fat ass sweating in it. All in all good deal.

Not on the subject but I just looked at 2002 E46 M3 with 80K, silver black 6 speed that was not burning any oil, good compression, nothing broken and drove great for $12K even. I could buy that one for just under if I wanted it. Just owned by a normal guy who drove it everyday.
    Good observations. Even though the owner seems like a nice guy, I didn't like the fact that he aligned the car at Pep Boys. To me that's an alarm. If I had the geo Metro I still wouldn't go to pep Boys for service. You're right, you can find good cars if you keep looking.
    2010 BMW M6 SMG Coupe * Black Saphire Metallic * Full Leather Merino Black
    2019 BMW X3 M40i * Alpine White * Mocha Leather
    Former:
    1997 BMW 532M (528i with 3.2 S52 engine from E36 M3 / 5 speed manual)
    1998 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    2003 BMW M5