Thread: Different starter issue

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T

Different starter issue

Two folks have 3.2 M3s that I have been working on. Bith have begun doing exactly the same thing. BEFORE the fingers point at me, no electrical or other work was done that could POSSIBLY be the cause. So, what are they doing? Well .....................

BOTH cars have strong batteries.
    BOTH cars have solid electrical connections everywhere.
    BOTH cars run well.
    BOTH cars do the following (hot or cold) - more often than not when the key is turned the starter spins up but the flywheel is not being engaged. Release the key and just before the starter motor spins to a halt one can here the bendix engage the flywheel with a small clunk. Turn the key again and the cars start immediately.

Is it fair to assume that these are not "serviceable" and a complete starter is needed?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    The thing about servicing(rebuilding) parts like alternators, starters, brake calipers, wheel cylinders, master cylinders, etc. is not so much that they cant be serviced, its more that from a business perspective(your perspective I am assuming), if you rebuild a starter, not only is it more time consuming and most likely not very cheap either, if it fails again, your gonna have to do the entire job over again(Either buying new parts, or replacing the starter this time). If you replace the starter, and it fails, the manufacturer of the starter is at fault, and the cost of parts will be covered by them). Also, from a business perspective, as I am sure you know if this is your business, if these issues just started while you were working on them, the customer is going to find you to blame. Trust me, if you replace rear brake pads and two days later the customers valve cover gasket is leaking, they will blame you. I am way too familiar with this from first hand experience... So you might have some splainin' to do, regardless of this being your fault or not..

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    I have found rebuilt threaded Bosch starters at AutohausAZ, so that may be the way I go. RM European has new threaded Bosch for $196. Owner's call on that.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    ^^I was referring to you rebuilding the starter. As far as buying a reman starter vs. brand new, I don't think that's super important, whatever the customer wants. I was saying that if the starter has an issue, you should replace the starter, whether with a rebuilt unit or a brand new one, as if you rebuild it you are out the time it took to rebuild, along with leaving you with the blame should the starter fail. Same with alternators, brake calipers, wheel cylinders, etc. etc. They all can be rebuilt, you could get parts for them and rebuild them yourself, but from a business standpoint, it would be totally foolish. Its not worth the time, and its not worth the risk of having it fail again, leaving you to lose the money on parts and time.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Well, looked at Autohaus again and there is a core charge, so the old one needs to ship back. Last I checked, starters are heavy. The RM new unit is looking better.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    On my last car (nissan) I was able to take apart the starter to service it. I didn't do anything with the solenoid portion, but if you can access the heavy duty electrical contacts inside then you might get them going again. You can search on how to disassemble various starters, i don't know how much info is out there but I'm sure you will find something. On the starter I serviced, it was a little slow in cranking sounded like it was getting weak. I found that the motor portion had a heavy rubber jacket that is lubricated with grease, as with anything over time it drys out and looses it lubrication. So I cleaned it all out and put fresh grease, the thing cranks like an Uzi! no exaggeration, it runs 3x as fast cranking the engine. They were high quality permanent magnet motors.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to be clear, your starters are bad, but its up to you if you think you have to skills to take it apart and figure it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry SnaponBob, I didn't realize you were to OP, my replies would have been a little more friendly

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Oh YEAH !!!!!!!!!!! You $#^&ing .... oh, wait. ;-) ;-)

Now that I have had my "fun" (forums do not have fonts for this sort of silly things), the starters are both quite strong. The solenoids are not energizing the bendix properly. New starter solenoids can be found, but the damn things are 75% of a new Bosch starter. Both owners will grunt, but they will go with new starters. I only charge for my time, so the price of the part is not important as the cost is a straight pass through. I want to work on these cars ONCE properly, and I try very hard to make the FIRST repair the ONLY repair. My work is far better than my disposition (!!!!!) so I make sure my reputation is based on results.

One of the M3s will get a starter and nothing else. The other was recently bought (cheap) so the starter will be done when the clutch is done.