Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E46 m50 drift swap thread

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    Finished the ps motor mount for 30$ in material and a little babysitting action in trade for some time on a cad machine. I'm pretty happy with how it came out also freed up the jack that was holding the engine up for a week. Onto finishing the downpipe and hanging the exhaust. Fd atl is coming up can't wait to party! Cinco de drinko- flares finally came in so I did a mock up to cut away the metal tomorrow no more rubbing a groove in my rear tires finally. Plus they look pretty beast. Gotta find a local tig welder ASAP.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Euroslide; 05-07-2014 at 11:31 PM.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Looks good, so your doing a bottom mount manifold? Im assuming SPA or something of that sort?
    | BAGGEDE46 |

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    Quote Originally Posted by e46cruiser View Post
    Looks good, so your doing a bottom mount manifold? Im assuming SPA or something of that sort?
    Yea eBay cast manifold. Didn't want to spend money on something I wasn't sure was going to fit. Glad I did because had to relocate the wastegate attachment point. Way too close to the firewall and interferes with it. I'm not going to make a dyno tune by next comp so instead of missing it I'm throwing my na setup back on it to compete and keep my points up. Flares came in, and got the cold side back from the welder. Threw on my s52 headers and aa track pipe for this weekends event. I still need to source a zf before I throw on the turbo setup for the last time before hitting the dyno. Seaside slide is June first. It may be wishful thinking to be boosted by then sporting a zf. But one can only hope.

Ah just found these from my last/donor chassis. Kinda missing my v8...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Euroslide; 05-22-2014 at 07:34 PM.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Any updates?
    | BAGGEDE46 |

My Cars
    tite
    wow glad I found this, I had the same idea to run two DMEs but a obd1 converted m52 in my e46, I started the project a couple years ago and just now got around to getting everything bolted up

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    No updates, working on a lack of power issue found a frayed crank sensor wire so replaced it. Still have to test it out. And if you guys also doing the swap figure out how to run the tach signal to the e46 cluster pm me so I can get this summit racing tach out my face. Turbo setup will go on as soon as I get a zf. The megasquirt is out getting the hardware added to it to run ebc and the m50 fuel and ignition. Trying to work in a launch control too so I can see what she'll run in the 1/4.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    I was thinking of just throwing the e36 cluster into the e46, I think someone on the engine conversion subforum said that wouldn't cause to many headaches since it doesn't deal with the can bus bull sh*t. Then the problem I think I personally might encounter if I do that is that the ac and other can bus related electronics might not work. This is just what I've been reading so don't use me as a credible source.
    | BAGGEDE46 |

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    They're correct you can't use 36 cluster and iirc the e46 uses a digital signal for tach and e36 is an analog. But I still have hope.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    No what I meant to say is that people say to use the e36 cluster over the e46 cluster, reason being is that it doesn't have any can bus signals so it would be easier to get it running properly! I assume that it could be done and possibly be easier than messing with the e46 cluster.
    | BAGGEDE46 |

My Cars
    tite
    if you look in the swap forum some of the v8 swappers have been working on some kind of can bus controller I think so they can totally get rid of the DME. what sensor does the e46 get the tach from? I forgot a lot of the stuff I read its been a while.. I mean can you feed that same tach signal to both DMEs, so the stock one can convert it to canbus to the cluster

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...an-bus-project
    Last edited by 7808; 06-06-2014 at 02:35 AM.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    I have seen that, to be honest it sounds like a bunch of jibberish to me. I could sit there and learn it but it seems like a lot of work lol. With that being said are we ruling out the e36 cluster as a viable option for the m52 swap?
    | BAGGEDE46 |

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    If you want tach. Summit one I'm using works with the output from the engine. Just have it mounted on the a pillar. Low and out of the way as possible. I'd rather have it on the dash though. As long as my fuel gauge works I'm happy.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    I'm assuming your speedo still works since it's tied into the abs sensors?
    | BAGGEDE46 |

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    I'm assuming your speedo still works since it's tied into the abs sensors?
    I have a full e36 drivetrain/suspension so I don't have abs sensors connected also removed the abs module. So no speedo for me.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    So you pretty much have an e36 lol. I'm sure the stock speedo will still work since it's not tied into the can bus. The tach I guess we can do an aftermarket tach like you, all I'm really wanting is the speedo and to have some sort of rpm gauge weather it be aftermarket or the oem one.
    | BAGGEDE46 |

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    Yup pretty much an e36 lol hiding in an e46 chassis.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    If aftermarket clusters weren't so expensive I would consider that, oh well I guess I'll figure it out when I get there! Anyways have any of you seen the boosted m52tu that was recently posted on the FI sub forum? Pretty impressive numbers coming out of that engine!
    | BAGGEDE46 |

My Cars
    tite
    my friend has a gauge cluster on hisfighter made for a go kart or dual sport or something It has speed tach water temp etc.. http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/vapor think its that one. I was like huh I might have to use one of those depending on what I can get working lol

might sound like a dumb question, but how did you power the e36 DME? just through the main power and ground on the engine harness? why doesn't your fuel gauge work? how about water temp?

why did you use e36 suspension anyways lol just curious

- - - Updated - - -

I have seen that, to be honest it sounds like a bunch of jibberish to me. I could sit there and learn it but it seems like a lot of work lol. With that being said are we ruling out the e36 cluster as a viable option for the m52 swap?
    ya I feel the same way, I was like wtf does all this mean? can they simplify it for us non-computer programmers lol

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    You hook up main power and grounds and I used ign voltage to power up PCM when car is turned in the on position, fuel gauge work I have aftermarket oil pressure and coolant temp from my last car. And I used e36 suspension due to the fact I had 6,000$+ in suspension and brakes on my e36. I would have had to spend all that over again to use the e46 stuff. Plus all my m3 stuff is beefier then a stock 323i e46 lol

My Cars
    2002 325i
    That doesn't sound to bad, so it would be a lot easier to just use an aftermarket tach And other gauges to get this swap up and running?
    | BAGGEDE46 |

My Cars
    tite
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroslide View Post
    You hook up main power and grounds and I used ign voltage to power up PCM when car is turned in the on position, fuel gauge work I have aftermarket oil pressure and coolant temp from my last car. And I used e36 suspension due to the fact I had 6,000$+ in suspension and brakes on my e36. I would have had to spend all that over again to use the e46 stuff. Plus all my m3 stuff is beefier then a stock 323i e46 lol
    oh ok. so you just use any ign switched power source for the e36 DME ? i'm guessing you connected the alternator to the e46 harness? did you just choose to use your aftermarket oil press and temp gauges, or what it too much of a hassle to use the stock e46 oil pressure and coolant temp sensors?

I have not looked under the dme cover in the e46 yet, were you able to unplug or get rid of any of the extra engine harness for the stock motor? or did you just shove it somewhere lol

sorry for all the questions, I appreciate it
    Last edited by 7808; 06-09-2014 at 01:01 PM.

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    The alternator gets hooked up to the m50 harness and is tied into the system on the main power distribution wire. And I used the ign switch as a power source for dme. Didn't bother with stock gauges since my aftermarket ones are more accurate. And with all this being said it's a track car all these modifications will never pass a state inspection just so you guys don't dump a lot of money and time to never be able to drive your cars again lol luckily we don't have a state inspection in sc so it's technically street legal here.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroslide View Post
    The alternator gets hooked up to the m50 harness and is tied into the system on the main power distribution wire. And I used the ign switch as a power source for dme. Didn't bother with stock gauges since my aftermarket ones are more accurate. And with all this being said it's a track car all these modifications will never pass a state inspection just so you guys don't dump a lot of money and time to never be able to drive your cars again lol luckily we don't have a state inspection in sc so it's technically street legal here.
    Yeah we don't have inspections here either lol. I'm building this to be more of a street / track car. I would love to have ac since summers over here get up to 120* degrees and it gets hotter in the car! If you drive with the windows down it feels like your driving against a hair dryer lol.
    | BAGGEDE46 |

My Cars
    tite
    we have not had emissions testing in MN since I was a little guy lol most of the testing stations were turned into do it your self car washes yrs ago thank god that would be annoying and its pretty stupid.

but my "builds" are usually just for fun/street. so I like to keep it low-key looking. would love to track my car, and my bike though

My Cars
    tite
    what parts of the stock harness from your car did you reuse? any sensors in the engine compartment? im going to try to keep as much of my stock gauges working as possible, and I would like to try and reuse my stock e46 alternator. it bolts and I got the main power hooked up, just not sure what to do with the smaller gauge blue wire from the m50 harness that goes to the alternator if I hook up the alt harness from the stock engine

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast