Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E46 m50 drift swap thread

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost

E46 m50 drift swap thread

Picked up this baby for stupid cheap with a dead number 5 cylinder. Had an m50 laying around so she's getting swapped. Already have my m3 rear end stuff in her waiting on slr bushings to throw my angle kit in the front. Of course with the bc racing coils on it. Waiting to get her over to the fab shop for seat mounts and subframe reinforcements.

Had a few questions some electrical experts can chime in on. Have full engine/dash harnesses for the m50. Along with dme. I'm assuming I'm just going to power the fuse box and shell purr like a kitten. Am I wrong on that part? I'm trying to keep use of the e46 fuse box as well to keep all lights/windows wipers working as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    Slow e36
    hells yea, gonna boost it?

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    Eventually boost. Want to get it in the car all problems sorted out. And then I'll sell my 331 stroker to boost it lol I put on the driverside of my full slr kit today after work. And I need lower offset wheels rubbing sway bar at full lock. I was in a rush so pics tomorrow morning when I clock in! In search of more roadstars for the front and spares if anyone has a lead haha
    Last edited by Euroslide; 11-27-2013 at 08:11 AM.

My Cars
    00' 328i
    Yes, if you have power/ground to the applicable wires on the harness, the engine will start and run. Honestly if you're going to rewire it I wouldn't even use the fusebox, just wire it yourself from the engine harness.

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    I'm trying to do as little rewiring as possible. It's my least favorite thing to do haha thanks for the help

My Cars
    Slow e36
    is it a fairly straight forward swap? Or are you doing a bit of custom fab

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    So far no custom fab work. I'm hoping it's straightforward. I'll know more after I pull the jank motor and trans on Saturday. Hoping either the e36 mounts will fit or the dual vanos mounts will bolt to the m50. Fingers crossed for no fab. I got the full slr kit on tonight after hours and sitting on the ground. Making me want to get it up and running ASAP on the m50. Gotta order a few gaskets Friday and I'll slap em on Saturday and hopefully sitting in the car.

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    Updated: m50 slid right in with e36 engine mounts although the 46 motor was a pita taking it out. Had to drop the subframe to clear the pan with the trans still attached. Going to pick up 5 speed stuff tomorrow and will have that in this week after hours. Hoping the e36 pedal assembly will bolt in :/

Got the transmission in, e36 trans crossmember does not fit. So I'm going to try for an e46 manual trans member. Other than that it sits where it's supposed to using all the e36 parts. The rear driveshaft is a tad too short going to have a buddy turn me an aluminum spacer to attach it to the diff. Or bring the rear shaft to have it extended. Trying to swap out the pedal assembly tomorrow night and maybe get some more done on putting all the engine tid bits back together. Also looks like I'll be purchasing an e36 radiator in the very near future but that will take care of the cooling system.
    Last edited by Euroslide; 12-03-2013 at 08:19 PM.

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    Ordered a lightweight flywheel and staged clutch from grip force. And snagged a three row aluminum radiator. So those parts should be in by the end of the week. Picking up my diff and extended m3 axle from the fab shop tomorrow night after work. And found the ds was too short because it was out of a ti. Grabbed an m3 rear ds and will be swapping that in this week. New valve cover gasket kit will be at work in the am so I can finally put that on for the last time. Hoping to hear it run soon. I'm getting antsy!

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    Been stupid ridiculous busy still haven't had a day off this month. But putting extra hours in after I clock out. Got the diff back and the axle. Threw both of those in the car for the last time. Everything fits perfect now. Another non vanos intake cam for me to swap into the exhaust side came in as well. Of course it came in right after I put the new valve cover gasket on so I guess that's coming back off. Triple pass aluminum radiator came in to replace the leaking stock one and that went in better than expected. Only had to trim the plastic side mounts in a few spots. May order some silicone upper lower hoses soon, new thermostat? Idk well see. Also got around to tapping the throttle body for the wet kit I had laying around. Should be pretty peppy for a non vanos.

Finally taking a day off on Saturday to go pick up an m54b30 rotating assembly I've been trying to pick up all month. So hopefully a head gasket goes before the season starts so I have a reason to do a rebuild with that bottom end I missed ups truck today so no clutch and flywheel yet. Hoping to catch him before Friday since signature is required. -_-

Updates. Should have all the parts together needed to finish her up besides some hoses ect. Put the clutch and flywheel in this week, bought a brand new slave from advanced still haven't put the pedal box in yet. But it's high on the list. Have to do a few more coolant line deletes/redirecting ect and run the fuel lines. Manifold on and motor 90% together. Hoping to get it wired in pretty clean looking. One night at a time is a painstakingly slow process...

Also got my hands on a good m54b30 bottom end and a set of arp head studs. So eventually she'll come back out and get the rotating assembly out of the b30.

On that note, anyone who went boosted. Personal preference in sealing as far as head gaskets go. Oem or MLS aftermarket? When it gets a rebuild it'll be going boosted,mild power, prob won't see more than 15 psi.
    Last edited by Euroslide; 12-23-2013 at 07:35 PM.

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    So got it wired really easy actually. Also added an oil cooler.

So first event was rainy and down pouring. lot event no comp that day due to the rain. I either went a little too hard and hydroplaned or snapped a tie rod and put it through a fence. some people just can't have nice things... But I lost all steering input in the sweeper and took it straight into the chain link fence. Luckly all damage was fixable and she was back together in a week.

The new aluminum tie rods are sexy compared to the old steel style I had been rocking. And now all metric too. Fun fun. Got it out last weekend had some rubbing issues with the tires against the fenders but had some good fun until I snapped an axle.

New axle comes in day before the first competition next weekend and I'm filling the nitrous bottle for this one. Hopefully everything's strong enough for now so she stops breaking.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    How do you think this differs from an m52b28 swap into an e46 ? I'm assuming not much, I want to throw one into my e46 and eventually boost the m52. How was the wiring, what all did you do to wire it? Sorry for the questions lol I'm really curious to what you did for the swap!

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    Quote Originally Posted by e46cruiser View Post
    How do you think this differs from an m52b28 swap into an e46 ? I'm assuming not much, I want to throw one into my e46 and eventually boost the m52. How was the wiring, what all did you do to wire it? Sorry for the questions lol I'm really curious to what you did for the swap!
    Really depends what you want working on the factory cluster. I'm using aftermarket tach,water,oil pressure, afr gauges so the swap literally runs on 4 splices I believe. It was so easy after i stopped overthinking It.

My Cars
    2002 325i

Lightbulb

Okay that doesn't seem to hard, what are you using to run the engine the e36 ecu correct? Do you still have all your electronics in the car working like ac , power windows, etc. if so that must mean you have the e46 ecu in there as well right?
    Last edited by e46cruiser; 04-18-2014 at 11:45 AM.

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    Okay that doesn't seem to hard, what are you using to run the engine the e36 ecu correct? Do you still have all your electronics in the car working like ac , power windows, etc. if so that must mean you have the e46 ecu in there as well right?
    Correct stock e36 powertrain setup with oem ecu,harness ect. And I'm still retaining all the interior functions as heat/power windows ect. I'm running the e46 ecu as well just not controlling the engine.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroslide View Post
    Correct stock e36 powertrain setup with oem ecu,harness ect. And I'm still retaining all the interior functions as heat/power windows ect. I'm running the e46 ecu as well just not controlling the engine.
    So you're running it as a piggy pack, that sounds perfect for what I want to do!

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    Technically I'm just running two separate systems they share the koeo power and start signal that's about it.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Technically I'm just running two separate systems they share the koeo power and start signal that's about it.
    Thanks for replying haha, this made my choice a lot easier! Can't wait too see what else you do with the car!

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    Thanks for replying haha, this made my choice a lot easier! Can't wait too see what else you do with the car!
    No problem if you have any technical questions just pm me. Started on this tonight, will be continuing updating as more parts go on the vehicle! Can't wait

My Cars
    2002 325i
    No problem if you have any technical questions just pm me. Started on this tonight, will be continuing updating as more parts go on the vehicle! Can't wait
    Oh I will be haha!

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Any updates?

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    Any updates?
    Not really I'll have some by this weekend I've just been pulling off the na parts been spending time fishing every night with all this nice weather lol

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Bump because i want updates!
    | BAGGEDE46 |

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    Fish pics in order due to living in the Carolina's. Pretty much just test fitted the manifold, and the turbo made a few modifications to get everything fitted. Started on the downpipe and 70% done with the passenger side motor mount. Ordered new exhaust gaskets and the hardware to convert my v8 megasquirt to run the m50.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    I'm so jealous haha, keep it up man! Can't wait to see footage of this thing out on the track!
    | BAGGEDE46 |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast