Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrades needed when making 500,600, and 700+ whp/wtq

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post

The Z3 S54 3-pass radiator is an excellent choice for the E36. And to boot, it only costs $200ish. Part Number: 17112227281

- - - Updated - - -

Diesel fan P/N = 11522243303

It bolts to the factory E36 style fan clutch.

Ah yes, I ran the s54 3 core radiator in the past, great choice, but with plastic necks its a pain when it gives out especially at the track. And agreed, the diesel fan will bolt onto the any e36 fan clutch.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Segment the top list into two sections - one engine/clutch/transmission, and the other to chassis. A grid for the both would be the best approach. Each engine is pretty specific too, although the BF.c FI section is biased towards the M5x engines.

As time permits over the next few days, I'll give you notes on the E30, E36, E36/7, E36/8, E39, and E46 chassis. I can also provide hands on information on the M/S5x series engines (including S54). Unfortunately I don't have much hands on experience with cars newer than E46.

I might also suggest a separate breakout of fueling based on different fuels, as each fuel selection really has different implications.

Also, this should all be torque based - the only thing horsepower concerned is top end flow. Things don't break due to horsepower, they break due to torque. Drivetrain components (excluding engine) should never be discussed as "good for xxx horsepower".

If there's one area you'd like me to focus my first novel on, please let me know and I'll start there.
    So looking forward to this as I love your attention to detail.

I'd love to read about the e38 as I do want to turbo it one day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    I will set the OP in sections. In the end this could be a valuable thread. Bare with me I will organize it. I'm hoping to also post links to purchase products as time permits. if you could start with some info on the 700+ tq level to fill in for me that would be great. Maybe we can nail down the E36 chassis first, then we can add in the others once olne is organized.
    Welcome to the wonderful World of Sticky Thread responsibilities.
    Last edited by highboostingm3; 11-25-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    As I have time I am posting links to said products. I am trying to "spread the wealth" with vendors. Not making it easy as some vendors carry the same product. I will not hunt down the best pricing. It will be the viewers responsibility to take it from there.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    This thread has beaucoup potential...
    thanks.
    97 BMW M3 (s52b32) - VF-Supercharger kit ( Vortech V2-SQ supercharger, 32 pound injectors, VF tuning ), VDO/LeatherZ Gauge Kit (Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and Boost), UUC Motorwerks RSC36 Exhaust, Stainless Steel 6-2 Exhaust Headers, Bilstein Sports, Rear Adjustable Camber bushings, Wheel Spacers 10mm in front 25mm in back, Uprated Clutch, UUC Shift Knob, Short Shifter and Clutch Stop, Cross Brace, Mason Engineering front strut bar, Contour Wheels, Euro Ellipsoid (Angel Eyes) HID Headlights, braided steel brake lines, aluminum thermostat housing, mishimoto aluminum radiator and silicone hoses and a partridge in a pear tree

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    As I have time I am posting links to said products. I am trying to "spread the wealth" with vendors. Not making it easy as some vendors carry the same product. I will not hunt down the best pricing. It will be the viewers responsibility to take it from there.
    Well done.

I thank you for thinking of this and having the guts to originate it as it is a thankless pursuit, except not from me because I know what it is like first-hand so I salute you. You will not be able to please everyone and asking for members to give their own input from the get-go is a very smart move on your part.

Looking forward to this thread developing.

Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    Well done.

I thank you for thinking of this and having the guts to originate it as it is a thankless pursuit, except not from me because I know what it is like first-hand so I salute you. You will not be able to please everyone and asking for members to give their own input from the get-go is a very smart move on your part.

Looking forward to this thread developing.

The F/I sectrion has learned me a lot over the years. I want to contribute back in an area that maybe less active, but just as important .
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    96 Stage 2 S/C Alpine M3
    Great and helpful thread. Much appreciated.

My Cars
    turbo m3, Z4M, M5,
    The Z3 S54 3-pass radiator is an excellent choice for the E36. And to boot, it only costs $200ish. Part Number: 17112227281
    I payed 151$ shipped for mine from pcf euro.... That makes the deal even better.

My Cars
    1998 m3 coupe, 68 FJ40
    Nice work. You are missing one main component. ....lots of $$$$$

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    I would like to have a brief discussion on the different (Grades) of bushings used.
    If we could get some feed back from those with experience with 95a 75a etc .
    Real world experience on track and street would be great.
    Also if anyone has any regrets on a bushing they installed. Ie "I wish I didnt install solid engine mounts on my DD"
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    I would like to have a brief discussion on the different (Grades) of bushings used.
    If we could get some feed back from those with experience with 95a 75a etc .
    Real world experience on track and street would be great.
    Also if anyone has any regrets on a bushing they installed. Ie "I wish I didnt install solid engine mounts on my DD"

If it helps, I'm currently running powerflex black bushings on the rtabs and subframe bushings. I believe the black bushings are the 95a equivalent its been a long time since they were installed so I'm not 100% sure. When I purchased these I was told by TCDesigns that they had problems with the purple powerflex bushings on both street and track cars and advises against he purple ones.

So far, from my experience, I personally think that the powerflex bushings are great. I have quite a bit of track time on them and personally dont find the increase in nvh to severe for the street (but now a days my car doesn't see much street time).

One regret I have is that I didn't know about about the vibra-technic engine mounts that Sniz did a write up on sooner. I'm currently running poly motor mounts with the factory heat shield, and as far as I can tell they have are working out, the nvh isn't bad just as long as they aren't over torqued, but I believe the vibra-technic mount would be a better mount.

My Cars
    EVO II, LADA
    i'll post up my personal experience based on Dyno Dynamics results 515 WHP / 760 WNM

ENGINE/COOLING/FUEL SYSTEM

Stock M52 Rods
    ARP M52 Rod Bolts
    Stock M52B28 Pistons
    Stock M52B28 Crank

Iron block
    stock Head
    stock M50NV Cams

*Lowering compression via thicker headgasket.
    -Cometic MLS .098

*Head studs
    -ARP 2000s
    http://www.cesmotorsport.com/documents/94.html

*Fuel pump
    -Walbro 255

*Cooling system
    -stock e46 radiator
    -Stock e46 electric fan

TRANSMISSION/CLUTCH

*Clutch
    -stock m52b28 pressure plate
    -custom single mass flywheel
    -4 pad ACT clutch disc

- transmission S52B32 (US E36 M3)

CHASSIS

*rear subframe, RTAB reinforcements and mounts.
    -UUC

*Diff support aka DSB
    -custom made, bracket / mount for E36 diff on E46 chassis

My Cars
    spaceship
    At what power level would you say cams are needed

My Cars
    cub scout
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo b View Post
    At what power level would you say cams are needed
    Necessary? no, but generally helpful from stock power levels up through "higher" powers as well. Depending on each member's choice of RPM limit, one may upgrade the stock valve train (valves, springs, retainers, guides, head work) for good feelings too.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    I have akg 95a fcab on my e36 that's a daily, love them,

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Has anyone used the AKG front diff bushing with the 14mm upgrade ? I'm thinking about doing this . Over the summer I snapped a Diff bolt @ the strip. Needed to drill it out and I'm not happy with the results. I could transfer over the internals to a spare case I have. Or I could drill/tap for 14mm. This would be much stronger and matched with a MaxPSI style brace it should be never a problem again.

The 14mm upgraded bushing is only offered in 75a or aluminum.
    I was hoping to run 95a bushings to match the subframe bushings I just picked up

Link to bushings.
    http://www.akgmotorsport.com/catalog...ion%2FBushings
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    skateboard
    Has anyone used the AKG front diff bushing with the 14mm upgrade ? I'm thinking about doing this . Over the summer I snapped a Diff bolt @ the strip. Needed to drill it out and I'm not happy with the results. I could transfer over the internals to a spare case I have. Or I could drill/tap for 14mm. This would be much stronger and matched with a MaxPSI style brace it should be never a problem again.

The 14mm upgraded bushing is only offered in 75a or aluminum.
    I was hoping to run 95a bushings to match the subframe bushings I just picked up

Link to bushings.
    http://www.akgmotorsport.com/catalog...ion%2FBushings
    You should use the 370z diff bushings
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    You should use the 370z diff bushings
    Those are made with grinded down unicorn husk mixed with baby tears.

My Cars
    a few e30s
    Whoa whoa cam, trade secret! Spoiler alert!

My Cars
    1998 m3 coupe, 68 FJ40
    Buying stock in baby tears as we speak

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Why would you drill and tap it? I drilled mine straight through and put a 1/2" bolt and nut on that sucker. If you shear it then you don't have mess around unscrewing the piece the piece out of there, you just push it out.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    many
    Butters you need to add "fuel" what type can be used to achieve what power level as well.
    1991 bmw 325I <e30>
    First 8 second full body BMW with BMW independent rear suspension in the USA
    8.69 @160mph in a 1/4mile on slicks.
    drag radial tires record holder9.53@148. Also a world record holder for bmw overall 60-130mph 4.2 seconds.
    Bistein sport susp,turner sway bars,3:25lsd,m52 AEM INFINITY stand alone. MORAN 2500cc injectors E85 ,front mount 33x12x4 intercooler, 5lug conversion M3 front,Mcoupe rear Dss axles/driveshaft ATI Proglide.
    2003 Ford Expedition
    1998 M3
    1986 Mercedes Cosworth 190e 2.3 16v 5speed (sold)

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by djborya View Post
    Butters you need to add "fuel" what type can be used to achieve what power level as well.
    I wanted to keep the thread to "what's needed when making XXX" . No as much "How to make XXX" . Also IIRC all levels can/have be made with 93 and E85. @ 700+ wtq 93 octane made need a splash of race gas as INS.

On the other hand, once thread is all sorted , I would love to expand thread to fuel, even turbo sizing.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Why would you drill and tap it? I drilled mine straight through and put a 1/2" bolt and nut on that sucker. If you shear it then you don't have mess around unscrewing the piece the piece out of there, you just push it out.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    So your using the aluminum bushing ?
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    skateboard
    Correct then frozen in the core of Pluto.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast