Thread: Trouble reinstalling new headlight glass with gasket/clips on E38 pre facellift

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL

Trouble reinstalling new headlight glass with gasket/clips on E38 pre facellift

I'm trying to finish up my angel eyes/chromelining/HID upgrade by putting my headlights together. I bought new glass and gaskets to make them look great but can not seem to get the clips to engage the glass and headlight bracket. I used too much force on one with a tool to try and close the gap by compressing the gasket and broke the glass Does anyone have any suggestions? I considered trimming the gasket with scissors or using wood working clams for compression. Seems like a silly step to be stopped on but I am.
    Just keeping it reliable and looking decent.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    You have to hook the clamps on the glass first, then latch them over the plastic housing. Doing it the other way results in what you've experienced.

Don't pry them with a tool, press down on the arch of the clamp with your thumb. It will spread out and eventually pop over the lip.
    I've done quite a few of these, its tough but not THAT hard...
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    01 M5, 06 M3, ZG1400
    Ive also found that heating the gaskets up in hot water first helps to make them more pliable so they will compress a bit easier.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Just put in new headlight supports today and pulled up this old post after remembering how to handle those clips. It is going to be so nice to have no more yellow in my headlights, it was hard to find the part but worth it.
    Just keeping it reliable and looking decent.