Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: E46 Compact Track Day Build

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

E46 Compact Track Day Build

Season is about to start so new hardware is in

Blue reverse button

Can’t wait to see what a shifter like this feels like. I’ve never been very impressed with my current UUC Evo III.

Also have new parts for the intake so all the rubber parts are refreshed just in case.

I also received new replacement transmission mounts from DriftShop but in the black “Street” version to hopefully not reintroduce the horrible NVH I had during my trip to Spa last year.

Looking forward to getting the Compact on the road again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KlausH79; 04-10-2018 at 05:28 PM.

My Cars
    Euro M3 E36 3.0
    Great!

I'm thinking about buying the IRP shifter, so I wait for your feedback

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

Alright, tags are On the car so it’s ready for the season.

Did and oil change yesterday and installed studs from ECS Tuning as well

Slightly long but I’m looking into running some spacers up to 20mm.

If the weather holds up I’m probably doing a little after work track day at Sturup Raceway on Tuesday. Next up is the IRP shifter install, CCV replacement, intake and stuff....

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

Well, installed the IRP shifter and I’m not quite sure about it. It seems like the return spring effect doesn’t really work when going into 5th. Works great pulling it to 1st and 2nd so I wrote IRP to ask about that.

Here’s the “performance” of the old UUC shifter:

https://youtu.be/utW68MUoqjc

This is where the play is coming from. I have an all new rear bushing and a poly front bushing in there so I don’t know how it could be avoided

https://youtu.be/NY5pHGrRt1k

Pictures of the install

Out with the old UUC Evo III

“Modified” the ashtray and trim to accommodate the new shifter

Shifter boot doesn’t fit over the knob so I’ll have to have that modified to by someone who can sew....

I also got these new street spec tranny mounts, but they introduce almost as much NVH as the red ones I had in there before. So they are going out again....

First impression is that it is a really nice shifter, very “race” and very notchy which is good but the “sloppyness” going into fifth isn’t great so I hope something can be done.

Here’s the action of the return spring. It’s a bit hard to see but the force when pulling it over for 1st is much greater than when pushing it to 5th.

https://youtu.be/6VSjlpdIke4

Edit: The worst things is....I have NO problem pulling it from 5th to 2nd!!!

I don’t know if it’s just a matter of dialing it in somehow, but something needs to be done....

Last edited by KlausH79; 04-29-2018 at 10:59 AM.

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact
    Well had the first little outing at Sturup Raceway the other day. Car ran flawlessly and the IRP shifter performed well. It’s really nice with the tall shifter and I really like the mechanical feel of it although I’m a bit bummed out by the return spring not being very strong. FYI I did get feedback from IRP and they said it was installed correctly and was working as it should and that no matter what I would always be able to shift from 5th to 2nd if I really tried. This was not my impression from any of the reports I had read about it and def not the case with the CAE but that’s what you get when you put your money on the new cheaper kid on the block

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact
    So my EBC BlueStuff brake pads I installed in the fall were more or less eaten up completely on after work event at Sturup a few weeks ago and would definitely not be ready for a full track day. So I upgraded the pads big time

Pagid RSL29’s in front

BlueStuff in the rear. I had yellowStuff in there from the get go and they were worn but actually still ok so I thought BlueStuff would be ok instead of going full blown Pagid all around.....saves some $$$

Install

Front left

Uneven wear, but I found that the dust cap on the caliper was unseated so I cleaned it up a bit and pressed it back so maybe that’s the reason for the uneven wear, but I don’t know.

Front right

New stuff

Old rear YellowStuff

New Blue

Bedded them in as per Zeckhausen Racing’s instructions and they perform really well and oddly enough they have a different smell to them

Blue tint on the rotors all around. Ready for Knutstorp on July 1st!

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Great build and thread - and boy have you had brake issues! I live in Minnesota, USA and the Hawk HT-10 pad is immensely popular for track use here. I'd highly recommend it. You might also consider a brake cooling kit if there's a way to run hoses to the front of the car. Pad life gets extended significantly from what I hear. Secondary info though since I've just installed mine and have yet to try it out as I fight my own brake problems.

Denmark looks like they run some of the same car eating chemicals for winter that we have here in Minnesota as well - sometimes I think defeating the rust is half the battle.

And those are some great tracks you have available, very jealous of those. Glad you make the effort to get to them.

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary328i View Post
    Great build and thread - and boy have you had brake issues! I live in Minnesota, USA and the Hawk HT-10 pad is immensely popular for track use here. I'd highly recommend it. You might also consider a brake cooling kit if there's a way to run hoses to the front of the car. Pad life gets extended significantly from what I hear. Secondary info though since I've just installed mine and have yet to try it out as I fight my own brake problems.

Denmark looks like they run some of the same car eating chemicals for winter that we have here in Minnesota as well - sometimes I think defeating the rust is half the battle.

And those are some great tracks you have available, very jealous of those. Glad you make the effort to get to them.
    Hey Gary

Thanks!

Yes Denmark hates snow and loves salt, but this one only drives in summer now so it’s holding up pretty well. Some surface rust that’s about it.

I was looking at the HT-10 for a while but they were way too expensive over here and I couldn’t find a bad review of the RSL29 and they were recommended by Freddy “The Nürburg Brake Man” Ritschel so I went that route. Everything looks and feels promising so far.

On the ducts I’m not sure because there is some ducting in the e46 and I experience no fade at all so I don’t think they are running hot. And from what I’ve read running them too cold is also a problem, but I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks.

And yes when some of the Worlds best F1 tracks are only a drive away you better use them

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Having been there and drove it makes watching those F1 races much more enjoyable I bet.

My Cars
    Euro M3 E36 3.0
    Hi, even the CAE shifter will allow you to go from 5th to 2nd
    I tried an IRP in another car, I'm at this time not convinced of the benefit from a tall shifter. But I think it's an habit question.

I thought of you, last month I went to Nurburgring with some friends, and for some reasons I didn't took my M3, and I drove my 325ti. Performed well, even if 150 more hp "missed" :p

And a little video, but I'm not sure if you can see it? https://www.facebook.com/olivier.gar...1400481215322/

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact
    Quote Originally Posted by ulmi View Post
    Hi, even the CAE shifter will allow you to go from 5th to 2nd
    I tried an IRP in another car, I'm at this time not convinced of the benefit from a tall shifter. But I think it's an habit question.

I thought of you, last month I went to Nurburgring with some friends, and for some reasons I didn't took my M3, and I drove my 325ti. Performed well, even if 150 more hp "missed" :p

And a little video, but I'm not sure if you can see it? https://www.facebook.com/olivier.gar...1400481215322/
    Sweet! I want to get back there soon!

The IRP is working Well but it is a track application no doubt.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    I really enjoyed this thread, thank you! It sounds like you won't be going with the Hawks at all but I just want to be sure to tell you, don't even bother with the HP+ pads. Some people like them but for me, they never stopped making noise... ever. And they would fade on track for me hauling the car down from high speed. Oh and are you using high temp anti-seize on the caliper guide pins?
    Keep the posts coming please!
    Last edited by Mr Estoril; 06-15-2018 at 11:24 AM.
    Joe

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Estoril View Post
    I really enjoyed this thread, thank you! It sounds like you won't be going with the Hawks at all but I just want to be sure to tell you, don't even bother with the HP+ pads. Some people like them but for me, they never stopped making noise... ever. And they would fade on track for me hauling the car down from high speed. Oh and are you using high temp anti-seize on the caliper guide pins?
    Keep the posts coming please!
    Thanks!

Yeah I was told not to go with the HP+’s by Freddy as well and what you’re saying lines up well with what I’ve been reading many places.

I have the brass caliper bushings on the front, OEM in the rear all greased up I will say though that the OEM rubber items with the plastic cap have the advantage that they keep all the dust and grime away so they are always nice and clean all the time whereas the brass items (from Garagistic I believe) are open in the end and therefore they get dirty almost to the point that they are dry even though I just did 3 hours track time after doing a front brake job and the rears have been on there for 4 years, multiple track days and thousands of road miles. So I had an idea to design some brass items which can accommodate a rubber cap to keep things clean and greasy for the front. I just need to find a shop that can machine them.

I took the car for a drive the other day and the Pagids didn’t give as much as a single squeak so I’m looking very much forward to getting it on track again to see how the differ from the EBC’s.

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact
    Just got back from a track day at Ring Knuntstorp in Sweden. The car ran perfectly all day and the new brakes performed really well. Strong all day without a hint of fade or anything. I had an instructor in the car for a session but he was pretty useless as he didn’t say anything more or less the whole ride and I’m pretty sure I’m not banging out perfect laps that need no commentary. But before going into the pit he said he was car sick (a driving instructor!?) so maybe I’m just such a shit driver that there wasn’t much to build on but I was keeping up with my brothers supercharged Elise for a few laps so it couldn’t have been that bad....I hope

Picture of the day

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

OPINION NEEDED!

Hey everyone. I’m looking into getting a rear cage/roll bar installed in the Compact and I have found a candidate I find suits my needs and has the features I want.

I don’t want to do a full weld in thing and I’d like to drill as few holes in the car as possible at this stage so I found this:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F173368560585

It bolts into the ISOfix mount points in the rear and to the seatbelt fix points in the front. The plates look a little bit small so I’m thinking to either ask them to make it with bigger plates or simply mount some bigger plates underneath the ones on the bar (I’ve heard some people have epoxied bigger plates to the bottom of a bolt in cage to make a bigger surface area so they don’t punch through in case of a roll over.

Any opinions on the roll bar? Any known alternatives I should be looking at, preferably in the EU?

Looking forward to any input.

PS. Any opinions on color? I’m thinking Blue or just plain black 🤪

Last edited by KlausH79; 07-25-2018 at 07:08 AM.

My Cars
    Euro M3 E36 3.0
    Hi, you have to find a specific E46 compact rollcage, any other one will not fit.
    We are building a race 330ti with a friend, and this was a pity to find one.
    My buddy finally ordered 2, because the first one did more than 6 months to come. And... he received both at the same time.

He sells it at 1300€ instead of 1800 buying price if ever you want it. That's pretty more expensive than the one you found, but it's a "real" rollcage

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_...473322911.htm/

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

Quote Originally Posted by ulmi View Post
    Hi, you have to find a specific E46 compact rollcage, any other one will not fit.
    We are building a race 330ti with a friend, and this was a pity to find one.
    My buddy finally ordered 2, because the first one did more than 6 months to come. And... he received both at the same time.

He sells it at 1300€ instead of 1800 buying price if ever you want it. That's pretty more expensive than the one you found, but it's a "real" rollcage

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_...473322911.htm/
    Hey Ulmi

Thanks, but I went ahead and purchased the eBay roll bar as that said it fit a Compact.

However fitment in a Compact was not the case #facepalm The ISOfix mounts in the Compact are welded in whereas they are bolted in in the sedan and Coupe. So I contacted the seller and after some discussion they were cool enough and fabricated a bracket to make it fit....although it’s not exactly adding lightness 🤪

With a few modifications it’s in there and feels solid.

I also wrapped the harness and rolled everything up to look tidy

As you can see I also bought strut bars for both front and rear from the same vendor on ebay. Solid items with no screws or joints and are nicely fabricated.

I had the car out for a Trackday with just the strut bars (waiting for the bracket) and I’m amazed how different the car feels with just those. I don’t have nearly as much under steer and it feels more planted.

Can’t wait to go to the track with everything buttoned up.

Last edited by KlausH79; 10-02-2018 at 11:22 AM.

My Cars
    Porsche 987.1 BMW 318ti
    Hey Klaus,
    I live in the south of Sweden and hopefully next season you will meet another e46 compact on our race-tracks!!😂
    I'm busy with interior clearing and welding full roll-cage right now and gonna head to suspension, engine etc... in the next couple of weeks(hopefully)
    Mine is just a 318 engine and the plan is to use it in endurance races that require that engine this year, and upgrade to 6 cylinders next year...
    Not sure you had to face these questions....but anyway here my doubts:
    -sway-bars, what did you go for? Did you change front and back?
    -suspensions? Are you fully satisfied with bilstein+springs? I found some track focused coilovers set from h&r and other brands...of course more expensive but im very picky concerning good suspensions....what's your opinion?
    -air filter? Any need for a cold air intake?
    -have you ever tryed PFC endurance brake pads?i have them on my Porsche cayman on stock Brembo disks and I'm delighted with them on track in terms of longevity and consistency on long sessions

Thanks for any imput and see you on swedish tracks next summer!!
    Francesco

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco78 View Post
    Hey Klaus,
    I live in the south of Sweden and hopefully next season you will meet another e46 compact on our race-tracks!!
    I'm busy with interior clearing and welding full roll-cage right now and gonna head to suspension, engine etc... in the next couple of weeks(hopefully)
    Mine is just a 318 engine and the plan is to use it in endurance races that require that engine this year, and upgrade to 6 cylinders next year...
    Not sure you had to face these questions....but anyway here my doubts:
    -sway-bars, what did you go for? Did you change front and back?
    -suspensions? Are you fully satisfied with bilstein+springs? I found some track focused coilovers set from h&r and other brands...of course more expensive but im very picky concerning good suspensions....what's your opinion?
    -air filter? Any need for a cold air intake?
    -have you ever tryed PFC endurance brake pads?i have them on my Porsche cayman on stock Brembo disks and I'm delighted with them on track in terms of longevity and consistency on long sessions

Thanks for any imput and see you on swedish tracks next summer!!
    Francesc
    Hey Francesco

Awesome! Good to hear

Not a lot of sway bars for the rear of the Compact. I haven’t upgraded those yet. So far I’ve only been able to find the Eibach’s to fit in the rear. As far as I’ve been able to figure out any front bar that fits an e46 non-M fits the Compact (any part more or less from the doors and forward are the same between sedan/coupe and the Compact).

I really like my suspension setup, but I only use it for track days and don’t have a full cage or anything and I don’t have the ability and know how to make the right changes to dial it in for all tracks and conditions so a full blown coil over setup would be overkill. If it wasn’t for the Danish regulations I would have opted for the HSD Monopro coilovers though as they seem like a very nice setup at a good price point.

I only put in a K&N panel filter just because I wanted to try. No effect really. I would however not go into a full CAI before also doing headers and better exhaust as I think the headers are the real issue in the M54 not being able to breathe.

As for brakes I have only done YellowStuff, BlueStuff NDX and the Pagid’s and I must say that the Pagids are amazing. The EBC’s have great performance, but as mentioned in the thread they don’t last very long. I believe this is due to the weight of the car. She’s a bit in the heavy side I did see an offer in the US for some PFC 01’s that I almost got but I had just got the Pagids so I thought it’d be a waste to buy at that point. I would however like to try them out. My buddy uses PFC’s on his GT3 and is very happy. I bought the Pagids from Freddy at the Ring and he also offers his own pad which he says has the same type of performance but at a lower price. If he has them on stock when I need new pads (he didn’t when I bought the Pagids) I think I’ll try those out.

What kind of endurance racing are you doing? Do you have a build thread or some pics of your project anywhere?

Last edited by KlausH79; 02-10-2019 at 03:30 AM.

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

Hey

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on this “subframe crack” plate kit from a German place called Drift King.

https://drift-king.de/shop/bmw-e46-h...reinforcement/

I’m not trying to stir up the whole “subframe crack” debate, but to me the “bar” between the two rear plates makes sense as that would spread out the load on a much wider area and also give some lateral stiffness to the RACP, however it does not tie into the shock towers or other structural parts of the chassis. I’ve never quite been a fan of just the plates as in my opinion they are just patching up the problem and not addressing the issue. In my opinion the VinceBar is the best “non-intrusive” option out there if not the best short of a full cage period, but as mine is a Compact the fitment isn’t guaranteed. Also according to James at Reedish Motorsport in the UK the Compact RACP is designed differently and therefore may not be prone to cracking. At least according to an interview on the interweb he’s never had a Compact in with cracks.

So since I’m looking a doing a full refresh of the whole rear end and upgrading to an LSD I thought why not mount those plates while I’m in there. And since I’m not doing a full cage and the VinceBar isn’t an option I thought these plates would be a good alternative option to get as much rigidity in there as possible.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by KlausH79; 04-03-2019 at 11:42 AM.

My Cars
    Porsche 987.1 BMW 318ti
    Hey Klaus,
    Sorry for my late answer....didn't get notified of yours. Some time has passed and things have gona a little out of hand!😂
    So my build have ended up into a BMW Cup car.
    After blowing the 318 engine we are now swapping for M54 engine and car should be backnon track at Knutstorp the 27 of April.
    I'm trying to figure out how to upload some pics on here but seems impossible from a mobile phone...or?

My Cars
    Porsche 987.1 BMW 318ti
    So! Here some pics of my build

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Porsche 987.1 BMW 318ti

My Cars
    Porsche 987.1 BMW 318ti
    Unfortunately 2.0l engine gave up last week which gives me a perfect excuse to swap to M54 engine....getting it ready this week!!!

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco78 View Post
    Unfortunately 2.0l engine gave up last week which gives me a perfect excuse to swap to M54 engine....getting it ready this week!!!

BitterSWEET!

I hope you document the swap somewhere.

What cage is that and what suspension setup are you running?

Also what is the BMW Cup? Do you have some info on that?

Last edited by KlausH79; 04-13-2019 at 01:36 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast