Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: E46 Compact Track Day Build

My Cars
    Porsche 987.1 BMW 318ti
    Bittersweet indeed....was always the plan to swap engine during next winter but i was hoping to enjoy the 4 cylinder a bit longer!!

I have to check about the cage....is from a swedish company anf fully FIA approved. Lucky me i have a friend who owns a workshop and has been a WRC mechanic and is a great welder, could have never got it done alone.

Brake and suspension are a DREAM on this car!!!
    Suspensions are JRZ Motorsport 3 ways adjustable coilovers. I was so lucky to find a guy who took them out of a M3 GT3 car as he tought they were too harsh!! They felt a bit overkilling on the 2.0l but i expect them to do real good under new engine!!!
    I will try to make some pics along the way...but I'm really crappy at it!

BMW cup is like a brand class championship around all tracks in Sweden. There are 3 classes called standard, modified and special with different rules and level of modifications you can have on the car. Is really cool, even cars and competitive and all levels and expecially standard class relatively "inexpensive".
    I think is open to danish drivers as well....just check on BMW club Schweden motorsport you should find more info or let me know if i can help!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

E46 Compact Track Day Build

So I’ve decided to take the Compact out of service this season to do a major overhaul of the rear end, install an LSD and maybe also do some engine work as well.
    The plan is to lower the subframe and have everything blasted and painted and have RACP plates installed to reinforce it while I’m in there. I have also contacted Vince from Practical Performance who makes the VinceBar and he’s been gracious enough to sell me the front gussets cups stand alone as the full bar doesn’t fit a Compact.
    I’ll also be changing the following:
    Half shafts, SKF
    Subframe mounts, Strongflex
    Diff mounts, Strongflex
    Adjustable lower control arms
    Wheel bearings

Getting the car out of storage at my parents’ farm and found to my horror that mice had moved in all over!

And a nice little garbage/toilet area on the intake manifold

Luckily it doesn’t seem like they have eaten any wires or anything, but now I can debunk the myth/advise that putting dryer sheets in the car will deter mice because I had dryer sheets everywhere and they didn’t seem to care.

And good vacuum and the work commmenced yesterday by first getting the car in the air, which always seems to take forever and I find it a bit nerve wracking.

Got to taking the exhaust off with the help of my two boys and it really is a two man job and 1 + (2x0.5) = 2

Well I can’t wait to get going again on Monday

Regarding the engine work mentioned, I want to install a wired oil pump nut and change the oil pan gasket as it is leaking. Is there anything else that could/should be done while I have the oil pan off? I was thinking of rod bearings maybe, but are these as prone to failure on the M54 as the S54? The car has 300kkm/190k miles on it and from the info I have it has been well kept with regular service and quality oil from a dealership. I don’t believe it has ever experienced any oil starvation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KlausH79; 04-14-2019 at 02:01 PM.

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

Work continues

Had to dremel and chisel off the axle nuts

Eureka!

It needs a good clean to be sure but no cracks in sight so far

But a few popped spot welds here and there

The driver side upper inner control arm bolt was not coming out....passenger side came out no problem....removing the diff helped

Cracked rear diff bushing

All small parts and all nuts and bolts in labeled ziplock bags all ready to be cleaned

Complete rear end disassembled

Genuine BMW part.....by GKN

Everything went very smoothly and it was a quite straight forward procedure. A few things need to be replaced that I hadn’t thought about simply due to them being too rusty and old like brake backing plates, the ebrake cables (also got snagged and bent when lowering the subframe), and I think the ball joints in the rear trailing arm need to be renewed although they are from when I did the suspension a few years back.

All in all good progress!

Now on to cleaning, painting and parts sourcing

Last edited by KlausH79; 04-18-2019 at 02:08 AM.

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact
    A little work was done today

Wheel bearings coming out

Subframe bushings needed the big breaker bar

All the stuff that came off of the subframe and trailing arms

“Naked” parts

They are now ready to get blasted. I may wire wheel the subframe myself pending the price to get them blasted.

For me doing this job this is the toolset to have

I also have a press but I can never get those big parts set up and lined up right so I always use this and it’s worked for every bushing job so far. I did my FCABs a while back and even those little things was a right PITA in the press and even then I resorted to the above set for the install of the new poly.

Well a bunch of new parts have been ordered and I’m looking to maybe find some new side bearings for the diff, but I can’t find any part numbers for those. Any help would be much appreciated.

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

Well with the subframe and trailing arms off to be blasted and powder coated I have been busy with a wire wheel, or several wire wheels, on all the control arms, accessories, nuts and bolts and been priming and painting.

Before

During

After

Before

After

Little bits after

I also received some very nice new parts

First up front cups from Vince at Practical Performance. These are part of the VinceBar kit but since this is a Compact the bar doesn’t fit but we’re hoping the cups are a match.

Super nicely made items with all the stuff needed for install included. Can’t wait to get them fitted in the car.

And a whole pack of goodies

As I’ve progressed this is turning into a poor mans DIY Redish Motorsports underbody restoration

All I need now are bushings and the reinforcement plates....oh and the LSD of course

On that note does anyone know the FAG or Koyo part nummers for the side bearings in the 188K diff? I’m not quite sure if I should replace them or not, but what I have found is that buying bearings from a “bearing place” is much cheaper than buying them from a “diff place” so if I could get them for cheap I might do it...

Last edited by KlausH79; 04-28-2019 at 01:48 PM.

My Cars
    2007 Toyota, 2002 BMW
    Hi Klaus, I'm following since a bit of time your thread. Just a couple of questions, about the Vince-Bar. Have you found what components are actually compatible with the TI? In your opinion, is it worth installing them even if planning just for occasional (i.e. just twice a year) track days?
    Thanks in advance for your time, and keep going, it's a wonderful thread!

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

Quote Originally Posted by AEnrico View Post
    Hi Klaus, I'm following since a bit of time your thread. Just a couple of questions, about the Vince-Bar. Have you found what components are actually compatible with the TI? In your opinion, is it worth installing them even if planning just for occasional (i.e. just twice a year) track days?
    Thanks in advance for your time, and keep going, it's a wonderful thread!
    Hey, thank you so much!

I haven’t gotten to cleaning up the RACP so I don’t know if there are any small cracks yet. From what I have read there haven’t been found any Compacts with cracks so far. This could be due to the fact that far the most are not equipped with a very powerful engine, but then again many 325 coupes do have cracks. I’m doing the whole thing to be safe and not sorry. Especially because it’s a big job to take off the rear end and something I’m hoping only to do once, so I’m doing everything I can think of that needs doing from underneath so if any more mods need doing they can be done from up top.
    As for which parts from Vince fit I believe only the front gusset cups will fit so I’m only installing these to start with. I don’t think neither the bar nor the skinz will fit.

Just a dumb question to everybody, do you think a 260K km 325TI (160T miles) could be a sensible choice for a daily drive plus occasional track days? Just asking about your own experience, what could be expected from such a car.
    I think the 325TI is an awesome car to daily drive. I have been wanting to buy another one actually to replace our old and ratty Hyundai Getz as our daily no. 2. Mine has over 300kkm on it and runs perfectly. So if you have a good well kept example I think there are a lot of good km’s in one of those. As for track days I think it’s a really fun car to drive and it’s fairly cheap to run (compared to my brothers Elise and my friends GT3). I have been on a bunch of track days from Sweden to Belgium to the UK and it has never let me down while my friends have cooked brakes, overheated engines, noisy bearings, loose drive shafts etc, and I’ve had nothing (knock on wood). But of course you need to take the necessary precautions when tracking. Just general good maintenance, good quality fluids and maybe some uprated brake pads.

Here are some of the latest photos

Diff in pieces

Parts back from powder coating

Installing wheel bearings

I have also stared to dabble with Autodesk Fusion to design my own RTAB with a spherical bearing. This is just a 3D printed prototype for test fitting purposes.

Last edited by KlausH79; 05-11-2019 at 04:12 AM.

My Cars
    Porsche 987.1 BMW 318ti
    Hello guys! Filling in the latest developments on my engine swap...
    It up and RUNNING!!!! This M54 engine is a PEACH in a compact!!!

My Cars
    Porsche 987.1 BMW 318ti
    While busy with the swap we decided to upgrade to single mass fly-wheel, racing clutch and upgraded pulley kit. We installed early E39 exhaust manifolds(no cats...) and that forced us to customize part of the exhaust to make it fit...
    Finding an M20 starter to fit the fly-wheel was also not the easiest, expecially since we found out our M50 starter would not work after the whole engine was fitted to run....
    All in all has been an exciting but challenging adventure up till we started the engine.
    Than it all went AMAZINGLY smooth!!!!
    M54 engine from a 5 serie + full loom from E46 6 cylinder + tuned original ECU + E46 318ti car and it ALL works perfectly together without any check lamp or issue!!!!AMAZING!!
    I'm impressed and can't wait to have the car on track next week!!!!

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact
    Wow. Very cool! I like the catless E39 manifolds! I didn’t know they fit! They look much less restrictive than the stock manifolds. Is it a 1:1 fit or did you need any modification?

My Cars
    Porsche 987.1 BMW 318ti
    Thanks I'm excited like a kid at Christmas!
    The fitting is perfect size and sealing wise but we needed to drill and tap some extra holes on the engine body as the original would require 4 bolts less while the e39 is supposed to have 4 bolts each cylinder intake. To make sure not to have any leakage we followed the manifolds pattern on the engine. On the plus, with Apple muffler and just an 100cel cat, sound is amazing!

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

Well I got some time with the Compact today and started project clean and prep.

First I emptied and dropped the fuel tank

Then I started cleaning the wheel wells

And I tried to find a good method of cleaning the RACP where the subframe sits and that stuff need some serious engine cleaner that I found. It’s a pressurized mix of petroleum and acetone.

But with that stuff it’s going to go just fine I think....the gunk just dissolves and runs off.

Last edited by KlausH79; 05-17-2019 at 02:13 AM.

My Cars
    2007 Toyota, 2002 BMW
    Hi Klaus, I'm sorry to bother you again. I'll have to replace front struts, and I'm not able to make my mind on this topic. What's your experience so far with the Bilstein B12? Are they durable? Last bit of information required, I tried to look for the proper set for our cars on Bilstein's website, to no avail, 325TI seems to be not listed. What is the exact set you ordered?
    THX for all your help and for your wonderful thread.

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

Hi Klaus, I'm sorry to bother you again. I'll have to replace front struts, and I'm not able to make my mind on this topic. What's your experience so far with the Bilstein B12? Are they durable? Last bit of information required, I tried to look for the proper set for our cars on Bilstein's website, to no avail, 325TI seems to be not listed. What is the exact set you ordered?
    THX for all your help and for your wonderful thread.
    Hey Enrico
    Not a bother at all. If you are going to upgrade to Bilstein dampers I wouldn’t do fronts only. It would be way to soft in the back if you keep the original rear dampers and springs. Also the B8 dampers (which are in the B12 kit)are only suitable with shorter springs. If you are going to use the OEM springs you need the B6 dampers.
    I am very happy with the B12 Sport Line kit. It is a lot stiffer than the original stuff that was on my car and that is all I can compare it to. It holds up very nicely on track duty as well and the car has gotten nothing but praise from instructors at both Ring Knutstorp and Spa.

As for durability I don’t think you can do much better than Bilstein and Eibach.

The kit I bought had the part number E-E95-20-001-02-22a9252. I bought it in Germany through tunero.de

Last edited by KlausH79; 06-15-2019 at 06:19 PM.

My Cars
    2007 Toyota, 2002 BMW
    Thank you very much! I'll go for the Bilstein, maybe the B8 only as my car already has lowered springs (no idea from which company, I'm bracing myself for the worst! :-D ), I'm in need to replace front struts ASAP and I don't like to put a lot of money in this car until I've some solid proof it is a sound car.
    About strut tower reinforcement, are there any for the rear towers too, or just for the front ones? I'm quite thrilled already about what to expect from my TI, next weeks I'm planning to get a short HPDE lesson from BMW itself and then to plan for a track day in some circuit in Bayern or Baden-Württenberg (No, I'm not referring to Hockenheimring, as far as I know they require to wear full Nomex underwear and proper helmet and so on, too expensive for my first try!).
    By the way, I spent some time in Denmark many years ago, in full winter. It was quite an experience even if I'm quite used to rigid climates. Something like missing my own bus stop on December at around Midnight on a very windy night, and coming back on foot to my hotel with -18 Celsius on a more than 1 Km long trip. I let to your imagination to realize the picture the concierge was presented with when I finally got to my hotel!

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

About strut tower reinforcement, are there any for the rear towers too, or just for the front ones?
    Yes there are rear ones too.
    Like these

Just get the cheapest you can find. They are all the same. You can also put in a rear strut brace which then acts as a reinforcement plate as well.
    This is the one I got from PG Racing on eBay

Here’s a link to it
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F173928788594

I'm quite thrilled already about what to expect from my TI, next weeks I'm planning to get a short HPDE lesson from BMW itself and then to plan for a track day in some circuit in Bayern or Baden-Württenberg (No, I'm not referring to Hockenheimring, as far as I know they require to wear full Nomex underwear and proper helmet and so on, too expensive for my first try!).
    Nice! There are a lot of good tracks in Germany.....not so much here in Denmark. #trackenvy

I By the way, I spent some time in Denmark many years ago, in full winter. It was quite an experience even if I'm quite used to rigid climates. Something like missing my own bus stop on December at around Midnight on a very windy night, and coming back on foot to my hotel with -18 Celsius on a more than 1 Km long trip. I let to your imagination to realize the picture the concierge was presented with when I finally got to my hotel!
    Danish winter sucks...summer is amazing...Denmark in June July August is my favorite place on earth

My Cars
    Porsche 987.1 BMW 318ti
    Hey Klaus!
    I can see that your car keeps you busy!!!
    Mine has come together quite well and did well on last race of the BMW CUP Sweden.
    Last upgrade was a new differential (original BMW, as requested by the rules of the Cup) imported from the US(automaric gearbox if i recall correctly). Ratio is 3,93 instead of the 3,39 that the E46 compact has as standard in Europe.
    Max speed is lowered from +/-225km/h to 196km/h but as you can imagine much more juice on the track!!!!
    I have tested it only once so far, on quite hard conditions to be honest(hot and windy against the straight)not with my best set of tyres but still lap times went down almost a second from my PM and max speed on average was 10km/h faster than used to be!
    A relatively inexpensive and easy to install upgrade I can warmly recommend for a track focused car! Only downside is higher rpm's make the trip to and from the track less relaxed and comfortable.....

Here a little peek on my first laps:

https://youtu.be/aIcPJrmCHzc

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact
    Very cool. Thanks for the video!

My plan is to install an Mfactory LSD, but I will keep the 3.23 final drive which is what the 325Ti comes with standard. I was just about to order the diff the other day but Mfactory Europe’s website is so shitty that you can’t search and find stuff even though I have the part numbers at hand, so I can’t find the bearings I need. I even started looking at a Quaife diff because the Mfactory website is so annoying....
    I think I’ll just buy bearings from a different source.

What shifter is that you have? And what transmission mounts do you have? It seems to be flopping around a lot when cornering. Do you ever mis-shift?

This is how the diff looked yesterday:

A thick coat of epoxy paint. That has since gotten a shiny black coat as well...no pic yet though.....

The Vince cups are also getting a once over so they fit the Compact which has a different construction than the Coupe and Sedan

My Cars
    Porsche 987.1 BMW 318ti
    Thank you!
    Yeah it is a really cool car to drive!!!!

Unfortunately due to the regulations on BMW cup Sweden we can not mount an LSD.... that would be an interesting upgrade! Curious of your thoughts when you get one!
    If you are planning on driving the car a lot on normal roads i can understand you keep original ratio....cruising on a highway to the track at 120km/h with the engine revving above 4000 is not exactly improving the experience!!!
    But on swedish tracks, curvy and not very long, the improvement of the 3,93 ratio is quite noticeable. On the first trial at my local track (Ljungbyhed) top speed increased about 10km/h and best laptime improved by almost 1 sec!!!
    On my slower/training tyres (Nankang) and with 28 degrees C.

My Cars
    Porsche 987.1 BMW 318ti
    I don't know the brand of the shifter....but is a proper uniball shifter, direct bolt on to the gear box coming of a WRC car that i got from my mechanic. It's raw and super sharp!only thing i would like to change is having a ball on top, but I'm too lazy to go around looking for one!Never missed a gear so far!! Only at the beginning when we installed Sachs flywheel and clutch I had sometimes issues getting in 3rd, but we just added more range to the clutch pedal and that fixed the issue!

Transmission mounts are original but we modified them a bit...i will get you a photo next time i have the car on the lift!

Are you going to drive your car this year? Seems like you are planning major upgrades....

I will be racing the compact at the big motorsport event in Knutstorp in July, let me know if you pass by!!!

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco78 View Post

Are you going to drive your car this year? Seems like you are planning major upgrades....

I will be racing the compact at the big motorsport event in Knutstorp in July, let me know if you pass by!!!
    No this year the car is only getting work done. Danish rules are pretty stupid. Since it’s so expensive to have a car registered it’s cheaper for me to take the tags off during winter when I don’t drive it so to get new tags/number plates I need to pay Dkk 1500,- plus taxes and insurance which are around Dkk 6000,- a year. So I’ll just wait for next season.

If I make my way over the bridge I’ll come by Knutten

Last edited by KlausH79; 06-23-2019 at 05:57 AM.

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact
    Quick Update.
    I’ve been doing some of the most tedious work yet. Rust proofing all my nuts and bolts.

I was going to just exchange all the hardware I could to stainless, but as I was looking into that I found that stainless bolts are not as strong as regular steel bolts and they are more brittle and in many cases not suitable for the same applications as steel bolts.

So I found this video

https://youtu.be/CTMUEmQbniM

I made a test to see if it worked and I must say that it seems to be right. I cleaned up a nail and treated half of it and put it into a saltwater bath

And a few days later

So I wire wheeled all the nuts and bolts and got to it

I Also got round to taking a pic of the shiny black diff which is getting a shiny silver diff cover

This is what it looked like before

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

Big purchase coming in. I just placed an order for the #Mfactory helical LSD! Awesome to get that done.

After checking the old side bearings for any wear in a microscope I found a small pit on one of the rollers so I ordered new bearings and ring gear bolts too.

Can't wait to get that installed in the pumpkin and get this thing buttoned up.

I hope to get some progress on the reinforcements of the RACP soon so I can start reassembly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KlausH79; 07-01-2019 at 02:35 PM.

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

The progress is slow but it’s getting there.

All reinforcement bits prepped and ready for adhesion:

I modeled these two and had them 3D printed so I could use a regular cheap-o-crap caulking gun for the 2K epoxy

Then came a slightly stressful procedure of “shooting” epoxy, spreading, trying not to get dripped on and clamping and riveting the parts. Stressful because it seemed like the epoxy quickly got more and more sticky but it went pretty well

The VinceCups have been slightly modified to fit the Compact but that was a very little corner that needed to come off and then it was just a matter of “molding” the plates a bit to fit snugly around the bendy parts at the bottom. I drilled a few extra holes for rivets and one rivet couldn’t be placed as something was blocking from behind but all in all they are really easy to install despite the extra cutting needed for the Compact.

Next step is more rust removal (only surface rust) and then painting with epoxy primer and stone chip protection.

Because I earned it!

Last edited by KlausH79; 07-11-2019 at 05:33 PM.

My Cars
    Porsche 987.1 BMW 318ti
    Hey Klaus!

Looks like your summer job is steadily getting there! Guess you can't wait to be done and enjoy the drive!!!!

Did you to Knutstorp for the SSM???
    Had a though race under heavy rain on saturday finishing 3rd and a good race with some mistakes on my behalf ended with a 2nd place on sunday!

Anyway, i wanted to thank you very much for your observation on my gear lever from the last video!!!!

Before the race we double checked it and found out that both engine mounts were totally broken!!!!
    So basically the engine was just hanging there loose...........
    Changed all mounts with proper racing mounts and the improvement is huge both on gear lever and general behaviourof the car!
    So cheers to that!!!!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast