Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: E46 Compact Track Day Build

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

E46 Compact Track Day Build

Season is about to start so new hardware is in

Blue reverse button

Canít wait to see what a shifter like this feels like. Iíve never been very impressed with my current UUC Evo III.

Also have new parts for the intake so all the rubber parts are refreshed just in case.

I also received new replacement transmission mounts from DriftShop but in the black ďStreetĒ version to hopefully not reintroduce the horrible NVH I had during my trip to Spa last year.

Looking forward to getting the Compact on the road again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KlausH79; 04-10-2018 at 05:28 PM.

My Cars
    Euro M3 E36 3.0
    Great!

I'm thinking about buying the IRP shifter, so I wait for your feedback

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

Alright, tags are On the car so itís ready for the season.

Did and oil change yesterday and installed studs from ECS Tuning as well

Slightly long but Iím looking into running some spacers up to 20mm.

If the weather holds up Iím probably doing a little after work track day at Sturup Raceway on Tuesday. Next up is the IRP shifter install, CCV replacement, intake and stuff....

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

Well, installed the IRP shifter and Iím not quite sure about it. It seems like the return spring effect doesnít really work when going into 5th. Works great pulling it to 1st and 2nd so I wrote IRP to ask about that.

Hereís the ďperformanceĒ of the old UUC shifter:

https://youtu.be/utW68MUoqjc

This is where the play is coming from. I have an all new rear bushing and a poly front bushing in there so I donít know how it could be avoided

https://youtu.be/NY5pHGrRt1k

Pictures of the install

Out with the old UUC Evo III

ďModifiedĒ the ashtray and trim to accommodate the new shifter

Shifter boot doesnít fit over the knob so Iíll have to have that modified to by someone who can sew....

I also got these new street spec tranny mounts, but they introduce almost as much NVH as the red ones I had in there before. So they are going out again....

First impression is that it is a really nice shifter, very ďraceĒ and very notchy which is good but the ďsloppynessĒ going into fifth isnít great so I hope something can be done.

Hereís the action of the return spring. Itís a bit hard to see but the force when pulling it over for 1st is much greater than when pushing it to 5th.

https://youtu.be/6VSjlpdIke4

Edit: The worst things is....I have NO problem pulling it from 5th to 2nd!!!

I donít know if itís just a matter of dialing it in somehow, but something needs to be done....

Last edited by KlausH79; 04-29-2018 at 10:59 AM.

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact
    Well had the first little outing at Sturup Raceway the other day. Car ran flawlessly and the IRP shifter performed well. Itís really nice with the tall shifter and I really like the mechanical feel of it although Iím a bit bummed out by the return spring not being very strong. FYI I did get feedback from IRP and they said it was installed correctly and was working as it should and that no matter what I would always be able to shift from 5th to 2nd if I really tried. This was not my impression from any of the reports I had read about it and def not the case with the CAE but thatís what you get when you put your money on the new cheaper kid on the block

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact
    So my EBC BlueStuff brake pads I installed in the fall were more or less eaten up completely on after work event at Sturup a few weeks ago and would definitely not be ready for a full track day. So I upgraded the pads big time

Pagid RSL29ís in front

BlueStuff in the rear. I had yellowStuff in there from the get go and they were worn but actually still ok so I thought BlueStuff would be ok instead of going full blown Pagid all around.....saves some $$$

Install

Front left

Uneven wear, but I found that the dust cap on the caliper was unseated so I cleaned it up a bit and pressed it back so maybe thatís the reason for the uneven wear, but I donít know.

Front right

New stuff

Old rear YellowStuff

New Blue

Bedded them in as per Zeckhausen Racingís instructions and they perform really well and oddly enough they have a different smell to them

Blue tint on the rotors all around. Ready for Knutstorp on July 1st!

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Great build and thread - and boy have you had brake issues! I live in Minnesota, USA and the Hawk HT-10 pad is immensely popular for track use here. I'd highly recommend it. You might also consider a brake cooling kit if there's a way to run hoses to the front of the car. Pad life gets extended significantly from what I hear. Secondary info though since I've just installed mine and have yet to try it out as I fight my own brake problems.

Denmark looks like they run some of the same car eating chemicals for winter that we have here in Minnesota as well - sometimes I think defeating the rust is half the battle.

And those are some great tracks you have available, very jealous of those. Glad you make the effort to get to them.

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary328i View Post
    Great build and thread - and boy have you had brake issues! I live in Minnesota, USA and the Hawk HT-10 pad is immensely popular for track use here. I'd highly recommend it. You might also consider a brake cooling kit if there's a way to run hoses to the front of the car. Pad life gets extended significantly from what I hear. Secondary info though since I've just installed mine and have yet to try it out as I fight my own brake problems.

Denmark looks like they run some of the same car eating chemicals for winter that we have here in Minnesota as well - sometimes I think defeating the rust is half the battle.

And those are some great tracks you have available, very jealous of those. Glad you make the effort to get to them.
    Hey Gary

Thanks!

Yes Denmark hates snow and loves salt, but this one only drives in summer now so itís holding up pretty well. Some surface rust thatís about it.

I was looking at the HT-10 for a while but they were way too expensive over here and I couldnít find a bad review of the RSL29 and they were recommended by Freddy ďThe NŁrburg Brake ManĒ Ritschel so I went that route. Everything looks and feels promising so far.

On the ducts Iím not sure because there is some ducting in the e46 and I experience no fade at all so I donít think they are running hot. And from what Iíve read running them too cold is also a problem, but Iíll keep that in mind. Thanks.

And yes when some of the Worlds best F1 tracks are only a drive away you better use them

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Having been there and drove it makes watching those F1 races much more enjoyable I bet.

My Cars
    Euro M3 E36 3.0
    Hi, even the CAE shifter will allow you to go from 5th to 2nd
    I tried an IRP in another car, I'm at this time not convinced of the benefit from a tall shifter. But I think it's an habit question.

I thought of you, last month I went to Nurburgring with some friends, and for some reasons I didn't took my M3, and I drove my 325ti. Performed well, even if 150 more hp "missed" :p

And a little video, but I'm not sure if you can see it? https://www.facebook.com/olivier.gar...1400481215322/

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact
    Quote Originally Posted by ulmi View Post
    Hi, even the CAE shifter will allow you to go from 5th to 2nd
    I tried an IRP in another car, I'm at this time not convinced of the benefit from a tall shifter. But I think it's an habit question.

I thought of you, last month I went to Nurburgring with some friends, and for some reasons I didn't took my M3, and I drove my 325ti. Performed well, even if 150 more hp "missed" :p

And a little video, but I'm not sure if you can see it? https://www.facebook.com/olivier.gar...1400481215322/
    Sweet! I want to get back there soon!

The IRP is working Well but it is a track application no doubt.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    I really enjoyed this thread, thank you! It sounds like you won't be going with the Hawks at all but I just want to be sure to tell you, don't even bother with the HP+ pads. Some people like them but for me, they never stopped making noise... ever. And they would fade on track for me hauling the car down from high speed. Oh and are you using high temp anti-seize on the caliper guide pins?
    Keep the posts coming please!
    Last edited by Mr Estoril; 06-15-2018 at 11:24 AM.
    Joe

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Estoril View Post
    I really enjoyed this thread, thank you! It sounds like you won't be going with the Hawks at all but I just want to be sure to tell you, don't even bother with the HP+ pads. Some people like them but for me, they never stopped making noise... ever. And they would fade on track for me hauling the car down from high speed. Oh and are you using high temp anti-seize on the caliper guide pins?
    Keep the posts coming please!
    Thanks!

Yeah I was told not to go with the HP+ís by Freddy as well and what youíre saying lines up well with what Iíve been reading many places.

I have the brass caliper bushings on the front, OEM in the rear all greased up I will say though that the OEM rubber items with the plastic cap have the advantage that they keep all the dust and grime away so they are always nice and clean all the time whereas the brass items (from Garagistic I believe) are open in the end and therefore they get dirty almost to the point that they are dry even though I just did 3 hours track time after doing a front brake job and the rears have been on there for 4 years, multiple track days and thousands of road miles. So I had an idea to design some brass items which can accommodate a rubber cap to keep things clean and greasy for the front. I just need to find a shop that can machine them.

I took the car for a drive the other day and the Pagids didnít give as much as a single squeak so Iím looking very much forward to getting it on track again to see how the differ from the EBCís.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234