Thread: How to: Reattach rear view mirror to windscreen

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3

How to: Reattach rear view mirror to windscreen

After 25 years my interior rear view mirror fell off the good old E32 750iL. Made a short write up with pics how to re-attach it. Same procedure applies to the E34.
    Click on the left index fixes, then see Fixes - Body and open: Reattach rear view mirror to windscreen

A general NOTE to the shogun site: the sub-menus are not complete. Always Use the section menus!!

http://twrite.org/shogunnew/topmenu.html
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '95 528iT/5 sport
    I used a loctite product, but it didn't have any mesh. Some of the glass had stayed on the 'button' so I was a little concerned, but its held for awhile now with no issues.
    my version of a midlife crisis: 20 year old spray painted, lowered BMW station wagon.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Thanks Shogun, just in time. Mine feel off a couple of weeks ago.
    demet

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    That is apparently why this loctite 319 Cat. No. 29195 has this thin plastic mesh between to avoid that when the metal 'button' tears off, it will not take glass particles with it. I checked the original part before I cleaned it, it also had a black plastic on it. The info I got is also that metal and glass have different thermal expansion in hot or cold temperatures and that can also cause cracks in the glass when they are glued directly together.

I assume also other glue for such application will do, if you put a small plastic mesh in between. Loctite added the activator/hardener into the plastic mesh and when the glue mixes with that the glue starts to harden. So just maybe you can also use glue and hardenener and some plastic mesh. But that Loctite is not that expensive, so why should I experiement.
    Found some data:
    Loctite 319
    Loctite 319 structural bonding - glass-metal bonder
    Technical Data
    ◾Description: No mix
    ◾Activator: Loctite 7649
    ◾Fixture time: 1 min.
    ◾Service temperature range: Up to +120°C
    ◾Shear strength (GBMS): 10 N/mm²
    ◾Pack sizes: 50ml kit
    http://www.bresco.com/acatalog/VC929-1-Popup.jpg
    http://www.autosessive.com/userfiles...der(1).jpg.jpg

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    hey shogun did this glue hold up? Today everything went wrong and I just knocked off my RV mirror and also busted the rear seatbelt reel cover

I've bee looking around for a glue but the auto stores only sell permatex or dynagrip - both with bad reviews. I was about to give up but I noticed an aussie electronics supplier ( rs components) can order this loctite glue in. https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/adhesives/2401865/

Is it worth getting it if no local windscreen company can help me out?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Loctite 319 Cat. No. 29195 works perfect even after 7 years, The product rs components in OZ sells is exactly the same I used: Loctite Bonding Vehicle Maintenance Adhesive Kit, Contains Adhesive (0.5 ml), Mesh.
    But check with the local windshield/car glass repair shop, they should have something, as they need it daily for their car glass repairs. Maybe they have something similar.
    Last edited by shogun; 10-16-2020 at 04:44 AM.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Thanks shogun.

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    I have used Permatex Polyurethane 59503 in a black tube recently with good results (a few years ago). No issues yet. It might be more readily accessible.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    I haven't seen that glue here either.
    I went ahead and ordered the loctite from RS as delivery is free anyway.

I tried windscreen shops but the larger ones go to a call centre and the numpties cut me off when I mention mirror- saying they only do glass... The smaller shops never answer the phone as they're too busy - usual story in WA.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    I finally did it. It took 2 goes so I'm glad I bought 2 packs. It came from UK RS spares, so Uk and euro people can probably buy the loctite as well.
    No idea why it didn't work the first time, I sanded the mirror button and windscreen back a bit with grease and wax solvent but the first time it didn't stick. Either I didn't apply enough pressure, enough adhesive or touching the mesh with fingers while cutting out a circle contaminated it (not sure about the because the mesh stuck to the button, just not the glass, so maybe not enough glue or pressure)

I made a template with real solid card with a 40mm hole cut out of the middle and tucked that up in the headliner board after measuring and taping it in the correct spot. Then applied the loctite mesh and glue and really really pushed hard and held for 1 min. It seemed to work because a lot of pressure is required to twist the mirror back on and it held the second time.

Sam_1935.jpg

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    On my car I wedged an adjustable ski pole against it to apply pressure while it was drying - with the other end of the pole on the seat or console or something. I suppose that may not be a common household item in Australia. Either way, I hope yours holds properly and you never have to worry about it again.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Yeah, they don't have 540iTs here either, or I would be buying one
    I'm about done with my e34 sedan. I have a falcon ute and running 2 cars is getting expensive, nice to keep both but I'm getting nagged... Would love a e34 touring of any type but never going to find one, would like a e39 540i touring but never going to find one. I'm about ready to settle for a e39 530 touring, even then there rare, and only auto, but a wagon would replace the ute and the 525i sedan for most things so I could cut down ~$1k a year on registration costs (each vehicle is $800 licensing and ~$300 ins)

If you ever need to stick on a mirror again though this stuff can work - just buy 2 packs I guess just in case if you have to order it from the other side of the world. 1 min holding it by hand, then walk away without even needing to tape it up. Later on (5min by label but ~4 hr for me) just twist the mirror on.
    Last edited by fo3; 11-06-2020 at 11:09 AM.