Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Messed up transmission detent installation

My Cars
    1997 328i Convertabl
    Quote Originally Posted by snaponbob View Post
    Here is the ONLY answer to your questions ---

GET THE TOOLS.

They are less than $100, can easily be resold, and you will get the installation exactly correct. Or you can rent them from members here. This is called "jumping over bags of hundreds tick up a dime".
    It's not a money thing! It's the same issue that all the other Canadians are having.... no shipping to Canada! I can have almost anything else shipped here but these tools! I would much much rather have the tools and do it right..... Since there is a member here willing to buy and ship them to us I may be interested in that route

My Cars
    1997 328i Convertabl
    Quote Originally Posted by snaponbob View Post
    At the risk of beating a dead horse, this is a task that can be ONE correct way.

If someone in Canada wants these tools for themself, if you are willing to paying for TWO shipping charges, I would be glad to buy a set and ship them to you. I have shipped to Canada before because individuals are not constrained by Customs issues as retailers are. Hell, I shipped a Solstice steering rack to Crete a few years ago. (Shipped as a gift -- on paper !!)
    I may take you up on this! First I'll check with TH3 Shifty and see where he lives and maybe just rent his if he lives close enough to me. Thanks for the offer!

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    utah
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    This forum handles this weirdly, puts thumbnails for .pdfs, but it is a pdf and it's in here somewhere but it's easier to just repost.

Access to a small lathe?? These can be made double ended. Use a soft brass hammer or an aluminum cover machined to hit the shoulders.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by tjm3; 11-11-2017 at 10:18 AM.
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T

My Cars
    1997 328i Convertabl
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch500 View Post
    anyone have the tools for sale? or rent? bimmer diffs wont ship to canada.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

ill be doing mine soon, i could measure the depth of the bushings and let you know.
    mitch500 have you done yours yet? If the bushing sits flush with the lip I'll go for it but if they sit lower then I'll figure out how to get the tools!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by vishus View Post
    mitch500 have you done yours yet? If the bushing sits flush with the lip I'll go for it but if they sit lower then I'll figure out how to get the tools!
    Haven’t done them yet, Tools are in the mail.

Hopefully maybe by next weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ()()===[][]===()()

My Cars
    1997 328i Convertabl
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch500 View Post
    Haven’t done them yet, Tools are in the mail.

Hopefully maybe by next weekend

Ahh you bought the tools! Nice!
    Okay well once you get it apart maybe post a couple close up pic's of the Reverse and 5th gear holes with the factory bushings installed and with the new bushings installed! I did the top 3 already, super easy.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    yeah the top 3 are easy... i used a long 4'' wood screw and a small socket to use a small sliding hammer to remove the plugs, take a while but it works. you also need a small flat head screw driver, then round it on one side to help get the bushing out, this is manditory
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    1997 328i Convertabl
    mitch500...... have you done the reverse and 5th gear pins yet? Just wondering if you snapped some pic's or got measurement of the depth the bushing is set in?

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by vishus View Post
    mitch500...... have you done the reverse and 5th gear pins yet? Just wondering if you snapped some pic's or got measurement of the depth the bushing is set in?
    Yes I completed it last weekend. I didn't take any pics as I grew a few grey hairs doing it and just wanted to get it done. Honestly I don't see how I would have done it with out the drift tools. Go to this site and look at the drawings for the tools you can get the measurement there.

http://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplass...hift_pins.html

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
    ()()===[][]===()()

My Cars
    1997 328i
    HI guys... Question.. I am doing my detents... I put the top 3 new bushings in before reading that the splits should be oriented left or right , not front or back.. Of course i put them all facing back.. Grrrrr is this a Huge issue ? Or what is the reason for them needing to be left right vs Front back..wondering what will happen if i just leave it.. Thanks. !

My Cars
    1996 M3/2/5
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I need some help with my trans. I removed it to do a clutch and decided since it was out to go ahead and do my detents/pins. After receiving the parts I proceeded to replace them but noticed i was short on the 5th gear pin and the ones on top for 1/2, 3/4, 5/R, looked different so I didnt replace them in fear of having the wrong part. I did replace the one for reverse and the one next to it, NOT THE 5TH GEAR ONE. I did however score up the bore for the bushing on reverse but there were no knicks or ridges. I used the oe drifts to install it, and instead of waiting on parts I decided to put it back in the car.

Now I am unable to shift into 1/2 and reverse is extremely notchy. I can get into 3/4/5. Has anyone ran into this before? Does the orientation of the pin when installed matter? I honestly dont remember how I put it back in there as it was a couple weeks ago and I was quite flustered with the whole job.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to know if this is possible to fix it I removed all the pins/bushing again, or if I should just get a new trans.

Thank you

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T

My Cars
    1996 M3/2/5
    Yes I've found that write up after the fact, but it still doesn't explain to me why I can't select 1/2.

My Cars
    M3
    I mean, you probably should have put it in gear before putting it in the car first. As for why it's not going into gear currently can be figured out easily. Did it go into gear properly before you took it all apart? Did you install your clutch / flywheel / pressure plate correctly? If yes to these, then it's 100% something you did with the shift pins. As to say what that was / is could possibly be figured out by looking at it in person. It's hard to diagnose a self brought issue from here as it's not a normal occurance.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Mklock; 06-16-2018 at 11:36 AM.

My Cars
    1996 M3/2/5
    When I removed it from the vehicle it shifted into each gear just fine. Before reinstalling I thought I checked each gear by putting the linkage on and running it through but I can't remember. I believe my clutch/fw/PP were all installed correctly. I dont see how that would lock out 1st and 2nd gear.

If I installed the pin for reverse facing in the wrong direction could this happen? I dont remember the orientation of it as I did this a few weeks ago.

My Cars
    M3
    Doubtful, the detent pin and spring is just the resistance force for pushing it over left.

My Cars
    1996 M3/2/5
    I get that and one of my symptoms is that it's extremely hard to push left to select reverse. When the selector sits in the middle and I move left for 1/2 I get immediate resistance. When I keep pushing and finally overcome the resistance then it flies over to reverse skipping 1/2.

My Cars
    2011 E90 M3, 2004 M3

Messed up transmission detent installation

Quote Originally Posted by 96MTree View Post
    I get that and one of my symptoms is that it's extremely hard to push left to select reverse. When the selector sits in the middle and I move left for 1/2 I get immediate resistance. When I keep pushing and finally overcome the resistance then it flies over to reverse skipping 1/2.
    What you described is exactly what happens when your detent pin is oriented incorrectly. You need to redo the R and/or the 1/2 pin.

2011 E90 ///M3 Individual
    2004 ///M3 - Track Car

My Cars
    2011 E90 M3, 2004 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
    You might want to check ECS tuning for the sponge part. The new rod joints have a rubber o-ring on the outside which eliminates the need for the washers for the selector rod. That will likely need periodic replacement too. I'd just buy the whole joint.

Thayer Motorsports sells the whole kit with new springs for $60ish. I see no reason to reuse the old springs.

The 5th and reverse pins have a bevel. There is a roller inside that slides up the bevel when you move the shifter left and right. See my earlier post, you'll have one hell of a time getting into 1/2 and 5 if you don't get those bevels aligned correctly.

I learned the hard way and took out the trans twice. If you twist the selector rod joint with the pins out, you'll see a roller slide into the hole and will make perfect sense.

See this...

2011 E90 ///M3 Individual
    2004 ///M3 - Track Car

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
    See this...

I wish I'd known Thayer sells this kit (by the way, it's $95 now, which is still a great deal). I paid almost $300 to buy all those parts at the dealer. Pelican wanted as much, since they order them from BMW too.

Not the first time I've paid way too much for something because I didn't know where to get it cheaper. At least it will be cheaper the next time I have to do this.

Here's the link: https://www.thayermotorsports.com/co...vice-parts-kit

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    88 325is / 95 M3 / 02 325i / 03 avalanche
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I seem to have run into some trouble not mentioned before. The detent pin on top at the front refuses to come out of its hole. The other two lifted right out with a magnet. I tried using small needle nose pliers with out luck. It seems a ridge has formed in the case at the top of the pin's travel keeping it in. Has anyone else had this experience and if so what did you do? If not, any ideas? I am fresh out.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Drill into it, thread it, screw into the threads, and try to pull it out. I assume you have tried penetrating lube. Heat could also help - it would be the surrounding area you would try to expand not the detent.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Drill into it, thread it, screw into the threads, and try to pull it out. I assume you have tried penetrating lube. Heat could also help - it would be the surrounding area you would try to expand not the detent.
    Care to comment on the metal shavings that will create?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by baknblack View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I seem to have run into some trouble not mentioned before. The detent pin on top at the front refuses to come out of its hole. The other two lifted right out with a magnet. I tried using small needle nose pliers with out luck. It seems a ridge has formed in the case at the top of the pin's travel keeping it in. Has anyone else had this experience and if so what did you do? If not, any ideas? I am fresh out.
    Try running the shift shaft through all the gates. The small detents are for the fore and aft actions of the shifting system. I do this by attaching the entire shifter assembly and run through the gears. You stubborn detent may loosen up.

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    If it's just a ridge at the top you can remove it with a deburring tool with a straight blade. It's soft metal so almost anything sharp that'll fit in the bore should work - pocket knife, fish filet knife, half of a potato peeler, pencil with crocus cloth wrapped around, screwdriver ground down for slight tight fit, etc. The new pins should come with bushings that are supposed to be a tight fit in the bore so don't overdo it.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast