Thread: 2003 745i IDrive Display unit questions

My Cars
    2003 745i

2003 745i IDrive Display unit questions

Hey guys, I've been an off/on reader of these forums since I got my 745i a handful of years ago, anywho I have recently run into my first big issue:

The iDrive went out. The display doesn't come on at all (no radio, no navigation, the idrive wheel spins freely, etc) but the car runs perfectly fine in all other aspects.

Anywho, I took it to my local shop and they said the control display needs to be replace (Part #: 65826929507). They also said that you can't just replace it and that it needs to be coded to the car.

So, my question(s):

fastoem.com offers a $500 repair service for that part number. I would imagine that if I pulled the unit and sent it to them -- they repair it and send it back -- and then reinstallation shouldn't be a big deal? Anyone ever used fastoem.com's repair service?

Is removal of this possible for an all-thumbs schmoe like me, or should I let a shop take it out?

It is either that, or ~$2500 for a new one. And for that price, I will probably have to part ways with my 7 as it is getting up there in years and miles and that is a big chunk of its resell value.

Anywho, anyone ever delt with this issue and can offer some insight?

My Cars
    745LI
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBobby View Post
    Hey guys, I've been an off/on reader of these forums since I got my 745i a handful of years ago, anywho I have recently run into my first big issue:

The iDrive went out. The display doesn't come on at all (no radio, no navigation, the idrive wheel spins freely, etc) but the car runs perfectly fine in all other aspects.

Anywho, I took it to my local shop and they said the control display needs to be replace (Part #: 65826929507). They also said that you can't just replace it and that it needs to be coded to the car.

So, my question(s):

fastoem.com offers a $500 repair service for that part number. I would imagine that if I pulled the unit and sent it to them -- they repair it and send it back -- and then reinstallation shouldn't be a big deal? Anyone ever used fastoem.com's repair service?

Is removal of this possible for an all-thumbs schmoe like me, or should I let a shop take it out?

It is either that, or ~$2500 for a new one. And for that price, I will probably have to part ways with my 7 as it is getting up there in years and miles and that is a big chunk of its resell value.

Anywho, anyone ever delt with this issue and can offer some insight?

If you happen to be located in L.A. Los Angeles I can help .

My Cars
    2003 745i
    Quote Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
    If you happen to be located in L.A. Los Angeles I can help .
    Very cool of you, but I'm not on that side of the continent.

Thanks though.

My Cars
    Its easy to remove. Two screws. I think k it would definitely be worth having it repaired. Won't need to be coded since its going back in the same car it came out of
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

Just to piggyback on the website fastoem I see they repair amplifiers as well n I need mine repaired in my 2003 745LI. Would the same rule apply if I remove mine n send to yhem to repair being that I won't have to worry abt programming back in sync with the car since same amp going back in after repair. Also does anyone know where it is in the car n if difficult to remove? Thanks

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    if its the same amp what was removed and reinstalled, no coding necessary unless what they repaired was part of the memory of the unit.

to remove the logic 7, just slide the 2 slides out from under it and it falls off the fender. unplug and send it off. NOW with the fibre optic open, nothing on the fibre optic will work. basically the whole entertainment system will be blank.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

Thanks for information. I'm going to take on this project within the next couple weeks.

My Cars
    2003 745i
    Just following up on this...

I pulled my display unit from the dash (3 screws, removed the plastic bits from in the dash that set in front of the display, then wiggle wiggle wiggle, pull pull pull, cuss cuss cuss... success) and sent it to FastOEM. They tested it and told me it was totally dead and couldn't be repaired. They then offered me a replacement they had in stock for the same prices as the repair. I agreed. They shipped it to me and 10 minutes spent fiddling with it, I had it in and it is working perfectly.

Perfectly pleased.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 760LI
    The answer is german audio tech in ca. (562) 743-5207.I had the same problem with my navigation drive on my 2007 760li . The dealer was going to charge me 1200.00 to replace it. So I starting surfing the web and came across this company on ebay. I sent a 175.00 money order with the original part and 3 days later my navigation drive returned. I reinstalled it and works like new. This company told me 48-72 hour turnaround and that is what happened. I highly recommend this company for the cost and the service that was provided.

My Cars
    E36 c & s, G30
    Hey guys/zbobby, can anyone confirm if replacement of the display 65826929507, requires some sort of coding?

Or, its a plug and play kind of thing?

This would help a lot. Im about to buy myself a used display