Thread: DIY how to make illuminated ZHP shift knob

My Cars
    E36 M3

DIY how to make illuminated ZHP shift knob

ok. so my first write up for your guys.

So I got a ZHP knob from my buddy for free....wanted to put it in my m5 so I was gonna sell my oem knob and boot to buy a e39 boot.
    But then I said screw that ima cut my boot and take apart both knobs and make my ZHP illuminated.

So here's a small write up for anyone that wants to try...if u mess them up its not my fault. Take your time.

*first step, take out your oem boot and Knob. Un clip you boot ring and make sure you UNPLUG the illuminated conecter. Then put the car in 2nd gear and with one hard sharp pull towrds your face it should come off..you might hit yourself lol..

* Second step, take booth shift pattern decals CAREFULLY with the tip of a small flat head. Be sure you DO NOT scratch the bottem of the "sticker" or light will shine in. Once both off get a tq head and remove the clear light holder and then the light board will be shown.

*Third step, get a sharp razor and cut ur boot off the knob with about 1/4 inch extra. Cut slow so you don't slice your wires.

* Step 4, feed the wires through the top of the knob while gently pulling up on the circuit board. When you have about 4" of wire left slice it so you can pull wire all the way out.

*step 5, yay you have it all out!

*step 6, time to dremel out all the extra plastic on the zhp knob. Take your time so you don't mess up the leather. You will take off about 1/4 inch or a little more.

*Step 7. Drill out the small hole for the wires to feed though on the side your palm sits on the knob. Be VERY careful as you drill at a small angle so you don't drill out the side of you zhp knob. You want the wire to come out the bottem of the knob in between the knob base and the plastic.

*step 8, once you feed the wire through the knob place the light board in place and put the clear plastic piece on to make sure you dremeled enough. If not then dremel a little more. If your good the drill the small hole in the center so you can thread in the bolt that holds it all in.

*Step 9, time to finish up, you can put back on that little white film or leave it off. I left it off and then just press back in you gear selection sticker.

*step 10. BAM! your all done. Run the wires through the boot. Ziptie the inside of the boot on your shifter and plug in the knob. Clip everything back on and bang you knob back on with your palm... waaaaalaaa!

LMK if you have any questions

EisnerRacing is offline VF Super Charged 9psi BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    97 M3 4dr 5sd VF S/C
    Sweet !! Nice job !! Looking for a beat up lighted knob now to steal parts from lol

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by EisnerRacing View Post
    Sweet !! Nice job !! Looking for a beat up lighted knob now to steal parts from lol
    Exactly! I'm trying to source a place to make my own led boards so I can mass produce them

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe, E39 M5
    Wow. Didn't know that was a feasible option.

I ripped the wires inside of my ZHP knob for my 3. I wonder if I could salvage them going through it your way.
    Sold: 1998 Cosmos Black 328i Sedan
    Current: 2001 Laguna Seca Blue M Coupe, 2003 LeMans Blue M5
    Daily: 2018 Shadow Black Raptor
    Wife: 2013 Alpine White X5 35i
    Contact Me: MDICTED@gmail.com
    Instagram: MDICTED

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MDICTED View Post
    Wow. Didn't know that was a feasible option.

I ripped the wires inside of my ZHP knob for my 3. I wonder if I could salvage them going through it your way.
    If your zhp is illuminated yes you can. It would be the same steps. I would completely remove the board and wires then re-soder some new wires onto the board ( super easy to do ) then route the wires back through the knob then connect back the "conecter"..BAM done

My Cars
    97 M3 4dr 5sd VF S/C
    Sourcing the board is the easy part
    sourcing a M shift pattern that light goes through is going to be hard
    the non lighted stock has a silver back I think and light will not pass

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Sourcing the board is the easy part
    sourcing a M shift pattern that light goes through is going to be hard
    the non lighted stock has a silver back I think and light will not pass
    I already figured that part out with the zhp one I have leftover lol. Board I can't find anyplace.

My Cars
    97 M3 4dr 5sd VF S/C
    you can buy blank boards at radio shack

also when i took basic electronics we made boards

you buy blank boards - coat them with a paint on protect layer drill the holes and dip the board - when you pull out the board anything not protected falls off and the traces are left behind

its been years - since high school days 92-93 since ive done it

My Cars
    E36 M3
    you can buy blank boards at radio shack

also when i took basic electronics we made boards

you buy blank boards - coat them with a paint on protect layer drill the holes and dip the board - when you pull out the board anything not protected falls off and the traces are left behind

its been years - since high school days 92-93 since ive done it
    Aaahhh need niceee

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerj11 View Post
    Exactly! I'm trying to source a place to make my own led boards so I can mass produce them
    I may have some ideas you'd be interested in hearing. Sending a PM.

I tried sending a PM and it appears they are disappearing without a trace. Let me know if you are interested in hearing my ideas. It's some stuff about how to simplify production.
    Last edited by DYL; 01-07-2014 at 09:54 PM. Reason: PM Issues

My Cars
    2019 M850i - 2016 228i
    quick bump here.....

Can light shine through the 5 speed pattern overlay that comes with the ZHP knob?

I am ready to replace my ZHP knob with another new ZHP knob. I am thinking I may try to illuminate it myself instead of buying this one through Leather Z

http://leatherz.com/product/IllumZHPShiftKnob.html

My Cars
    The M
    Does anyone have a part# for the ///M 5 speed pattern emblem?