Harrison Motorsports

Thread: DIY make your own illuminated ZHP shift knob.

My Cars
    E36 M3

Wink DIY make your own illuminated ZHP shift knob.

ok. so my first write up for your guys.

So I got a ZHP knob from my buddy for free....wanted to put it in my m5 so I was gonna sell my oem knob and boot to buy a e39 boot.
    But then I said screw that ima cut my boot and take apart both knobs and make my ZHP illuminated.

So here's a small write up for anyone that wants to try...if u mess them up its not my fault. Take your time.

*first step, take out your oem boot and Knob. Un clip you boot ring and make sure you UNPLUG the illuminated conecter. Then put the car in 2nd gear and with one hard sharp pull towrds your face it should come off..you might hit yourself lol..

* Second step, take booth shift pattern decals CAREFULLY with the tip of a small flat head. Be sure you DO NOT scratch the bottem of the "sticker" or light will shine in. Once both off get a tq head and remove the clear light holder and then the light board will be shown.

*Third step, get a sharp razor and cut ur boot off the knob with about 1/4 inch extra. Cut slow so you don't slice your wires.

* Step 4, feed the wires through the top of the knob while gently pulling up on the circuit board. When you have about 4" of wire left slice it so you can pull wire all the way out.

*step 5, yay you have it all out!

*step 6, time to dremel out all the extra plastic on the zhp knob. Take your time so you don't mess up the leather. You will take off about 1/4 inch or a little more.

*Step 7. Drill out the small hole for the wires to feed though on the side your palm sits on the knob. Be VERY careful as you drill at a small angle so you don't drill out the side of you zhp knob. You want the wire to come out the bottem of the knob in between the knob base and the plastic.

*step 8, once you feed the wire through the knob place the light board in place and put the clear plastic piece on to make sure you dremeled enough. If not then dremel a little more. If your good the drill the small hole in the center so you can thread in the bolt that holds it all in.

*Step 9, time to finish up, you can put back on that little white film or leave it off. I left it off and then just press back in you gear selection sticker.

*step 10. BAM! your all done. Run the wires through the boot. Ziptie the inside of the boot on your shifter and plug in the knob. Clip everything back on and bang you knob back on with your palm... waaaaalaaa!

LMK if you have any questions

My Cars
    2x 84 318i, 02 M3, etc..
    Nice!
    318i E30
    & other toys

My Cars
    1999 ///m
    So going to do this

My Cars
    e93 m3
    Hey buddy, I am doing the same project on my ZHP at the moment and came across your post. Unfortunately all the pictures are blur and cant see clearly, I have done most of it but my question will be is Did you drill all the way to the bottom or just drilled a little hole at the very top?

My Cars
    E46 M3, E36 M3, E70 35D
    Oh how I miss these DIY threads with pictures. Quality!
    I used to have a picture of an E30 here.
    E46 M3 Vert <> E36 M3 Crew Cab Track Car <> E70 35D <> Jason's YouTube