Thread: 2009/10 VS 2011 bmw 328 COUPE

My Cars
    2004 mazda 3

Post 2009/10 VS 2011 bmw 328 COUPE

After doing a lot of research and even posting on this forum about purchasing 2008/09 335 coupe . I made up my mind and I decided to go with the 328 coupe. Before the bash from the 335 guys start (not that I really care too much) , right now the 328 just make sense for me . Some reasons I ve decided to go with the 328

1 ) I do not want to deal with a lot of maintenance cost and I know turbo car is more than likely always going to be a little more expensive to maintain than a NA car
    2 ) I can get a newer model or a car with more options with my budget
    3) I m like high rev cars , I come over from JDM cars and I think a car like the 328 will fit my driving style a little better. I drove the 335 and I was already doing 100 in second gear while the 328 is slower I did enjoy a bit more. This is just my personal taste

Anyways , there are other reasons aside from the ones I mentioned.

However I m having a bit of a dilemma, I have a budget of 26 000 give it or take. I m not sure which 328 I should buy. On one hand I could purchase a 2009 /2010 with options and probably have some money left or I could probably purchase a 2011 (Im buying early next year) with less options but I ll probably be a bit over my budget.

I really like the updates/facelift for the 2011 , for me it looks newer , comes with warranty ( maybe a year) but I will not be able to do any exterior mods or performance upgrades since I ll be over my budget

On the other hand I could pick up a 2009 328 for under my budget , but I would have to spend money upgrading , no warranty left. The plus side is that I could put a M Tech kit and maybe do a retrofit

What would you guys do

My Cars
    2001 e46 325
    Other than the facelift, the cars are identical. The facelift is fairly minor. Only a BMW nerd would notice the difference. Which is why we are here I guess. From what you are saying, the 09. But thats me.

My Cars
    E90 328xi 6MT
    First things first, both cars will do 100km/h at the top end of second gear. If you're talking 100mph then you miscounted.

Second, the 328 has very few performance upgrades in terms of acceleration and top speed. Most you can do is a 330 intake manifold upgrade ($1.2-1.5k) for ~20hp.

Third, get the one that's better optioned. You don't want to regret not having... say iPod integration; which is cost-prohibitive if the car doesn't have it from the factory. Or sport package. Every time I drive I regret not getting a 328 with sport package.

Us 328 drivers out of warranty spend about $1000/yr. If you can't do $1000/yr and put premium gas in it you shouldn't own it. Read my sig.
    If you can't afford the premium gas the manufacturer calls for you can't afford to own the car.

My Cars
    2004 mazda 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Weller22 View Post
    Other than the facelift, the cars are identical. The facelift is fairly minor. Only a BMW nerd would notice the difference. Which is why we are here I guess. From what you are saying, the 09. But thats me.
    You are right , the changes are minor , but its the like details that make a difference. Me and my wife were at the dealer where they had 2 white 328 coupe , one was 2011 and the other one 2008 and even she was able to spot all the difference. Its not that I dont like the 2009 , I may get it if a great deal comes but I would really like the 2011 just because I really like the headlights , tail lights and front bumper. Unless I can find a 2009 328 with M tech package, but that its a bit hard to find since most are in the 335

My Cars
    E90 328xi 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
    You are right , the changes are minor , but its the like details that make a difference. Me and my wife were at the dealer where they had 2 white 328 coupe , one was 2011 and the other one 2008 and even she was able to spot all the difference. Its not that I dont like the 2009 , I may get it if a great deal comes but I would really like the 2011 just because I really like the headlights , tail lights and front bumper. Unless I can find a 2009 328 with M tech package, but that its a bit hard to find since most are in the 335
    I understand. And 335s cost more out of warranty, about $1800/yr from all my time on the E90 subsection and other forums listening to 335 drivers talk. But investigate the options like cold weather, sport, premium, iDrive (2009 was the first year for the 4th gen in the 3 series).

I'll get you started. The cold weather package includes heated front seats and retractable headlight washers. Easy, huh? It gets more complicated.

The sport package is very confusing. First, on all E9Xs with the sport package you get sport seats; bolster support and manual leg extension cushion part (I don't know the formal name). The seats can be manual or power depending if you get the premium package, which is another monster as it changes every model year. Second, you get a sports steering wheel on the sedan and wagon. The coupes and convertibles have this steering wheel regardless of packaging. It is 3 spoke like a Y. The bottom spoke, the base of the Y, has metal on each side of it. Third, the top speed limiter is increased from 130 to 155mph. Fourth, the suspension may be different and this is the most confusing part.

There are 3 suspensions available on the E9X 3 series. Short and stiffer, normal, tall and least stiff.

All AWD E9X 3 series get the tall and least stiff suspension. Regardless of being a sedan, wagon, or coupe (no AWD convertible). Nor does the sport package affect this. All AWD E9Xs get this because snow; you can't drive in the snow when you have 1" of ground clearance.

RWD sedans and wagons without the sport package get the normal suspension. This is between the 2 other suspensions in terms of ground clearance and stiffness.

All RWD coupes and convertibles get the short and stiffer suspension, regardless of sport package. Also, RWD sedans and wagons with the sport package get this suspension too.

I don't want to mind f you so I'll leave with an easy note to remember: E90 - sedan, E91 - wagon, E92 - coupe, and E93 - convertible.
    If you can't afford the premium gas the manufacturer calls for you can't afford to own the car.

My Cars
    2004 mazda 3
    Quote Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
    I understand. And 335s cost more out of warranty, about $1800/yr from all my time on the E90 subsection and other forums listening to 335 drivers talk. But investigate the options like cold weather, sport, premium, iDrive (2009 was the first year for the 4th gen in the 3 series).

I'll get you started. The cold weather package includes heated front seats and retractable headlight washers. Easy, huh? It gets more complicated.

The sport package is very confusing. First, on all E9Xs with the sport package you get sport seats; bolster support and manual leg extension cushion part (I don't know the formal name). The seats can be manual or power depending if you get the premium package, which is another monster as it changes every model year. Second, you get a sports steering wheel on the sedan and wagon. The coupes and convertibles have this steering wheel regardless of packaging. It is 3 spoke like a Y. The bottom spoke, the base of the Y, has metal on each side of it. Third, the top speed limiter is increased from 130 to 155mph. Fourth, the suspension may be different and this is the most confusing part.

There are 3 suspensions available on the E9X 3 series. Short and stiffer, normal, tall and least stiff.

All AWD E9X 3 series get the tall and least stiff suspension. Regardless of being a sedan, wagon, or coupe (no AWD convertible). Nor does the sport package affect this. All AWD E9Xs get this because snow; you can't drive in the snow when you have 1" of ground clearance.

RWD sedans and wagons without the sport package get the normal suspension. This is between the 2 other suspensions in terms of ground clearance and stiffness.

All RWD coupes and convertibles get the short and stiffer suspension, regardless of sport package. Also, RWD sedans and wagons with the sport package get this suspension too.

I don't want to mind f you so I'll leave with an easy note to remember: E90 - sedan, E91 - wagon, E92 - coupe, and E93 - convertible.
    Yea i m getting used to all the codes. Im not too picky ab out the packages. As long as i can get manual , white or blue . Im pretty open if i can get a good deal on the 2011. If its older i may get picky in options

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
    First things first, both cars will do 100km/h at the top end of second gear. If you're talking 100mph then you miscounted.

Second, the 328 has very few performance upgrades in terms of acceleration and top speed. Most you can do is a 330 intake manifold upgrade ($1.2-1.5k) for ~20hp.

Third, get the one that's better optioned. You don't want to regret not having... say iPod integration; which is cost-prohibitive if the car doesn't have it from the factory. Or sport package. Every time I drive I regret not getting a 328 with sport package.

Us 328 drivers out of warranty spend about $1000/yr. If you can't do $1000/yr and put premium gas in it you shouldn't own it. Read my sig.
    you are right both car will do 100 in second gear but one will get there sooner while the other will take longer, also one will get there without a problem while the other one will struggle at the top. Where Im getting at is the personally I m more used to driving high reving cars that are not going to get me in trouble. In a 335 it wont take me long to be over 100 kms per hour while in the 328 i will still get enough power but I wont have to worry too much about getting into trouble. Not that there isnt something wrong with the 335 , as a matter of fact I was also considering a camaro and mustang however AFTER test driving all those cars I just feel the 328 would fit my driving style better.

Its also the maintenance cost of having a turbo car, I ve had one in the past and they are more expensive than a NA , plus with my budget I m better off getting a newer car with more options. Its not all about speed for me , I m trying to get a little bit of everything and stay in budget. You could still do the intake and a BMS or AA tune and easily be closer to 250 HP which is more than I need. I m not planning to take this car to the track or race people at the stop light.

I think I can do premium and 1000 a year . Sport package would be very nice , that is why I m debating between the 2010 and 2011 model.