Thread: Back in a E36 after 12 years

My Cars
    S600,750,325iS,LX470,QX4

Back in a E36 after 12 years

When I was 17 (1996) my father bought me a 1993 325is blk/blk sport pkg and loved it to death. I totalled it after 5 years and went on to buy 3 E38 750ILs afterwards. I was bored on ebay the other day and bought this on a whim:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-BMW-325...vip=true&rt=nc
    $T2eC16J,!zoFJK0gIv2mBSc+--f)4w~~60_57.JPG$(KGrHqZ,!rYFJTZD(er)BSc++Tu9+Q~~60_57.JPG$(KGrHqV,!rUFJmkb1TZCBSc++97Vg!~~60_57.JPG

Its the exact same car I had when I was 17 but with traction control down to the same ugly basketweaves 16" wheels. I had loved this car in college and would drive through the country roads at 120+mph and see how much hang time I could get in the air. I had a lot of fun wrecking the car and my dealership would scratch their heads how I could go through ball joints, fender wells and other steering components so fast. Since I would break them so fast they wouldn't charge me labor and my warranty company would pick up the parts.

I have tried searching the forums over and over and can't find a good thread on what I should do to the suspension. The sport suspension sits really nice but the front tire has too much gap. If it improves handling I would like to lower it, it would be nice if there was some easy hydraulic system that would work with a touch of a button instead of coil overs. I am afraid of hitting debris on the ground. Can someone give me advice and point me in the right direction? I plan on supercharging it even though the supercharger (C38 ~375HP, 300TQ) is more than what the engine/transmission can handle so it will have power even if it blows the transmission.

How much should I have paid for this car? I think I paid a few hundred bucks more than what it is worth because it is an exact replica of my first car. It should be here by the end of the week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    It looks really nice. Keep it nice ... it's worth just as much if not more unmolested. These cars are getting hard to find in good stock shape.

Suspension is OK ... but once you supercharge it, then it's inevitable that you'll want more boost, then you'll blow the tranny, the diff, snap some axles, mad tyte drift the car into a cutb ... you'll forever be fixing or upgrading things, and then you'll realize your 20 year old car has cost you more than a mint e90 m3 would ...

My Cars
    S600,750,325iS,LX470,QX4
    I don't mind burning some money ($5-10k) if I am having serious fun but you make a good point about keeping them unmolested as they are getting harder to find. I will reconsider even though I already got the SC.

I always thought the crossspoke wheels were heavy but I just looked them up and they are only 19 lbs.http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...yling_styl_17/

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    17.6 actually ... those are 15s.

I mean, your car, so ultimately you can do whatever you want ... I personally wouldn't do anything too wild with (what looks to be) a mint car. Suspension, maybe wheels, some nice lights.

My Cars
    S600,750,325iS,LX470,QX4
    What kind of suspension would you put? I do like how the sport suspension sits but would love to lower the car more, esp in the front so there is no space between tire and the wheel well. But probably a bad idea in Chicago, our potholes have gotten worse over the years and I can totally see myself hitting them and breaking the fender.

I don't like these wheels for looks but they do bring back memories. I would have been interested in finding some lightweight wheels but I think companies stopped making them for E36. Plus these wheels were incredibly strong but I think the larger tire adds weight. All my other cars have lightweight wheels and driving feels soo much better with them. If I don't change the wheels I am going to have them refinished and glossed.

I was thinking about HID lights but was debating on the wheels. I hate messing with sound systems but if it was anything like my 1993 its going to need one subwoofer mounted somewhere. I had a box before but this time I am thinking about using the trunk as the box.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    mad tyte drift the car into a cutb ...

My Cars
    325iC
    That car is worth less and less everyday, it will never be a collectors car so I say SC and have some fun! Sometimes I feel I drive too conservatively but when I get on it I have so much fun I feel like I should be doing it more often, I'd boost the hell out of my car if I had extra cash laying around
    Last edited by UnderCoverGuy11; 11-05-2013 at 01:01 AM.

My Cars
    S600,750,325iS,LX470,QX4
    I would install the supercharger if my car was a manual but since its an automatic and AA told me it will definitely blow my auto tranny I am a bit hesitant. I'm calling around to see how much it will cost to re-enforce the transmission to be able to handle more power. AA was predicting the kit would put me at 270TQ to the wheels - the auto tranny is only rated for 248TQ from what I've read. I asked them if taking off the intercooler and the high flow fuel pump would make a difference and they said no.

I do think the car is phenomenal shape after 20 years and hope to get many more years out of it.

My Cars
    E36
    nice pick up! Looow miles and really clean - Jealous!

If you want to go SC - get a M3 ZF Manual trans, and put that in with the SC (might as well get an E46 6 speed..).
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i Sedan
    How much did it cost you? It's beautiful. sigh. So much potential.

My Cars
    S600,750,325iS,LX470,QX4
    $2800 + $400 to ship = $3200 (I was trying to be under $3k with a rust free virgin 3 series coupe blk/blk with recaro sport seats and sports pkg).

How much does the manual swap cost? I much prefer to stay automatic.

I have been searching for days the forum and haven't found what I am looking for in regards to improving the suspension. I think the stock sports suspension is decent but not sure if there is a way to improve on it. I think I am better off leaving some gap between the tire and wheel well for Chicago potholes. I am trying to see if any upgrades can improve handling and lessen body roll. I remember 12 years ago everyone going with UUC strut bars but can't imagine any upgrade being a major night/day improvement.

My Cars
    E36
    Coilovers are the best, but due to Chitown roads...go with something inbetween like HR Sports. Manual swap will cost around $1k I think or more...I've never done it myself though.

Suspension wise - here's some good bang for the buck:

Xbrace (under subframe...oem on verts and the M3 LTW). $100 and can definitely feel it.
    Strut bars (fixed preferred) $100-300. Help but not as much as the xbrace
    Koni's are probably your go to (vs. bilsteins) for harsh roads - $600? (not sure). Get konis paired with a nice set of sport springs (not oem sport, but like the HR sports I mentioned)
    z3 nonM steering rack. Best displacement per turn (i.e. quickest) out there (actually a 330 might be tied). $200 Some of the best $ I spent on my M.
    Bigger front sway bar - (I have a 318 sport as it's the biggest oem option). $150-300. You won't need rear bars unless you have really stiff springs (which it sounds like you won't).

Things you'll want no matter what:
    Z3 rear shock reinforcements. Put these on to avoid tearing the rear shock towers. $20 well spent:
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...2532%2520%2520

If they're never been done, be prepared to do:
    -Waterpump/Tstat/hoses (pretty common failure around 75k)
    -Front Lower control arms/ball joints (and control arm bushing) $300 iirc? Use centered M3 Bushings for a bit better feel - can go poly but it's overkill for rough roads.
    -Front tie rods (do inner and outer IMO). $120?
    -Rear Trailing arm bushings. $100 (I use a soft poly here for ease of install).

Hope that helps bring you up to 2013! I didn't even touch appearance things/exhaust/wheels...
    Last edited by Moron95M3; 11-06-2013 at 01:05 PM.
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    S600,750,325iS,LX470,QX4
    Moron: Thanks! This helps alot! At the moment I have no intention of touching the exhaust or the wheels (although if I do find a nice light weight wheel set I may change but hate to make the car look aftermarkety). Don't think I am going to do spoiler but will most likely upgrade the headlights to modern technology. I remember how little light I used to get back in 96 with the fogs on.

I was wondering if anyone setup an E36 for rally racing type setup? I don't have any plans of rally racing but would love a suspension that could take the hits if I find a way to get the car airborne Ferris Bueler style like I used to. BTW, no one ever made any kind of hydraulic setup where you could lower/raise the car by pressing buttons inside? My S600 has this and I love it.

My Cars
    S600,750,325iS,LX470,QX4
    Quote Originally Posted by Moron95M3 View Post
    Coilovers are the best, but due to Chitown roads...go with something inbetween like HR Sports. Manual swap will cost around $1k I think or more...I've never done it myself though.

Suspension wise - here's some good bang for the buck:

Xbrace (under subframe...oem on verts and the M3 LTW). $100 and can definitely feel it.
    Strut bars (fixed preferred) $100-300. Help but not as much as the xbrace
    Koni's are probably your go to (vs. bilsteins) for harsh roads - $600? (not sure). Get konis paired with a nice set of sport springs (not oem sport, but like the HR sports I mentioned)
    z3 nonM steering rack. Best displacement per turn (i.e. quickest) out there (actually a 330 might be tied). $200 Some of the best $ I spent on my M.
    Bigger front sway bar - (I have a 318 sport as it's the biggest oem option). $150-300. You won't need rear bars unless you have really stiff springs (which it sounds like you won't).

Things you'll want no matter what:
    Z3 rear shock reinforcements. Put these on to avoid tearing the rear shock towers. $20 well spent:
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...2532%2520%2520

If they're never been done, be prepared to do:
    -Waterpump/Tstat/hoses (pretty common failure around 75k)
    -Front Lower control arms/ball joints (and control arm bushing) $300 iirc? Use centered M3 Bushings for a bit better feel - can go poly but it's overkill for rough roads.
    -Front tie rods (do inner and outer IMO). $120?
    -Rear Trailing arm bushings. $100 (I use a soft poly here for ease of install).

Hope that helps bring you up to 2013! I didn't even touch appearance things/exhaust/wheels...

I found these springs for $171:
    http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...0A2606440.aspx
    B&G S2 SPORT SPRINGS

My estimation it should drop the car another 0.75". I am hesitating for 3 reasons:
    1.) The stock sport suspension is pretty low as it is now, any lower and I am afraid of rubbing the ground (I am new to lowering cars)
    2.) Between these springs and koni yellows I am looking at $1000. To fix my current suspension I am looking at $200. Is it worth the extra $800?
    3.) If I lower the car it may make it harder to get airborne?

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2
    Man, you sound like someone who didn't deserve the nice car that daddy bought him in high school.

I hope you've grown up in the past 12 years, otherwise you're someone I don't need to share the road with.
    2011 F-150 FX4 | 1997 BMW M3 #404 GTS2 | 2006 BMW M3 Convertible
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    '92 TRM E36 / '05 325ci
    This guy is a riot. You should see his thread about how he thought an e36 was safer than an e46.

My Cars
    E36/4/5
    Airborne? Seriously?

My Cars
    S600,750,325iS,LX470,QX4
    Quote Originally Posted by Brake_L8 View Post
    Man, you sound like someone who didn't deserve the nice car that daddy bought him in high school.

I hope you've grown up in the past 12 years, otherwise you're someone I don't need to share the road with.
    I have grown up and haven't totaled a car in 10 years. Most of my racing is done late at night and I don't race my BMWs as they lack power.

Dr. Crash Test Dummy: I thought it was safer after experiencing two high speed accidents in an E36. I have no experience totaling an E46.

My Cars
    '92 TRM E36 / '05 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless7 View Post

I have grown up and haven't totaled a car in 10 years. Most of my racing is done late at night and I don't race my BMWs as they lack power.

Dr. Crash Test Dummy: I thought it was safer after experiencing two high speed accidents in an E36. I have no experience totaling an E46.
    "I have grown up...I do most of my racing at night." GTFO.

Not trying to be a dick, but idk why you would have any opinion at all... You've been in two high speed accidents in an e36, therefore it is safer than an e46? I fail to see the connection as to why you'd think it to be any better or worse. I have been in two high speed accidents in an e36 and e46, but never an e90. Therefore, they are safer than an e90. That doesn't make any sense either, lol right?

The racing at night excuse is freakin retarded. You STILL race?? That is the worst time possible, too. Lights that would let you see as far as you should at high speeds are not legal in america. If you're going to be a moron, race in the sunlight. You'll see people, they'll see you, you can see cops, animals, etc. Think ahead. All it takes is a deer or a person at the crest of a hill and you're going to kill yourself or someone else. Either way, you are not driving cars that should be racing at anytime or at any place. Why race economy cars against other economy cars?

If you're old enough to have had your license for ten years and still race on the street, you've never been in a high speed wreck. You may have thought it was bad, but not bad enough. I can tell you that for certain.

I have a TBI from a car accident. I am not going to go into details, but it can make things really tough sometimes. I am lucky that I still have my senses of smell and taste. It seems like you may lack some reality when it comes to these things, but knock it off for other peoples' sakes. The person who hit me, resulting in the TBI is an old friend and I have never told him. I do not want him to feel guilty. Honestly, I have a hard time being mad at him inside over it at this point. It has been three years this coming Christmas eve. If it was someone else who hit me and the situation on the road was the same since he screwed up (big time), I would want to kill them and I'd be extremely bitter over it. If it affected my ability race or drive in general, I'm sure probably wouldn't be so forgiving of my buddy.

I really hate people who get sue-happy, but I would make sure the person lost everything in this case. Lost everything, ie - parents would be buying him cereal to eat in their basement for dinner. For seven years, until he can rebuild his credit. Something to consider, because that is what happens these days when you change someone's life as a result of doing something incredibly stupid on the street.

You'll eventually get in a bad wreck or change/end someone's life. I learned my lesson when I was nearly killed at 18 years old. I walked away fine and realized that it may have been the one go free pass I get on something like that. I've probably run two or three people since then and am almost 26. It wasn't even a decision. It was more like "wow, that hurt. No more messing around on the street." Simple.

I learned my lesson, but my buddy hadn't his yet (he was 23! Wtf!)...so, unfortunately for me, it took an accident bad enough that it gave me brain damage for him to get a wake up call.

If you want someone to end your life for a while through the powers of civil court or like the idea of living with crippling or killing someone on your conscious until you die or go senile, keep it up.

I might get the you're mad bro reactions, but do not care. OP is racing for nothing in slow, unfit cars in the god damned dark.

The consequences for street racing go far beyond tickets, but people are usually completely ignorant of those things. They'd rather nudge out a civic DX for the 20+ seconds it takes to go from 70-130+ in each car.

Any 20+ year old who runs cars on the street is a simpleton; someone with a low IQ or they've never challenged their brain enough for it to make simple connections like - you'll kill yourself or someone else. Or...you'll take someone's mother away, they're two year old in the back seat, their ability to put sentences together correctly, feel joy, walk, etc. You don't think about things like shattering femurs, spinal injuries, brain injuries and so on. All you're thinking about in that cobweb-filled skull is beating a civic by a car length in a car that will disintegrate in a wreck over 100mph.

I had another buddy from high school who was racing his e36 with a girl in the passenger seat. He lost it at 100+ and if I hadn't known it was an e36, I wouldn't have been able to figure it out until I started sifting through everything. They're both dead. Last funeral I've been to and last funeral I'll be at for a long time. It was a massive loss to us, his family, her family, and anyone else who knew them. His buddy was in the back seat and lived. He gets to remember that for the rest of his life and so does the person who was racing him.

***You're not a kid anymore. Grow up. If you don't care about yourself, that is fine. Just don't bring anyone down with you. If this post seems like overkill to you, you simply do not understand the seriousness of what can and will inevitably happen at some point. I have made one mistake that probably saved my life in then long run. Notice that anything that has affected me, due to racing on the street...were all things that someone else did. Huh. Dead friend, me with a brain injury, best friend will lose his license forever if he gets one more ticket, another friend shattered his femur two years ago and STILL has another surgery to go next month (he almost lost his leg), so many destroyed cars...it is very sad.***

And like I said, I knocked it off before I caused or participated in a run that led to an accident or injury. Wonder what things would be like if I kept it up. The high speed accident I was in when I was 18 was due to me solely driving too fast out in the country in the middle of nowhere, where people don't drive at night. It was not due to racing.
    Last edited by sjpgoalie; 11-19-2013 at 01:15 PM.

My Cars
    e84, e36, e21
    So, op, according to your initial post, you're 34 or 35 years old, and you're talking about street racing at night and getting your car airborne? You are officially a retard, and should probably invest in a public transit pass.

My Cars
    00 E38,01 E38,99 323 is
    Isn't it frightening to realize there are actually people we rub shoulders (or in this case possibly fenders) with who are this far out of touch with all the different types of liability they create with their actions? I mean I would just say he/she is a troll, but, being older and more experienced than the derived age of the op, I have met people on several occasions who act similarly.

All I can suggest, op, is that you carry the best and the most insurance you can afford. Sooner or later, if you continue doing what you say you do, you or your insurance is going to be paying out.
    9/2004 Chevrolet Suburban Z71, black, purchased March 2016, 270k miles.
    6/99 740i Cosmos Schwartz M Sport, 214k miles, purchased May 2017
    2001 740i OrientBlau M Sport, purchased March 2023
    1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes, Blue/White, PCM Ford 351W, PowerSlot, 912 hours, purchased September 2012 (not a car )
    4/99 323is/5. Titansilber, 211k miles. Straight body project.

past BMWs: 5/1994 325isa (Arktisgrau), 3/1997 328is/5 (cosmosschwartz), 9/1990 535i/5 (calypsorot), 9/1990 318i/5 (brillantrot) 7/93 325i/5 convertible (samoablau) 2/92 325i/5 cabriolet (lagunengruen).
    SÜNDE REISEN