Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headliner Replacement Suggestions

My Cars
    BMW 850 Ci TT

Headliner Replacement Suggestions

I'm in the N. Virginia area outside of D.C. and looking for recommendations on a reputable place to get my headliner replaced on my 8er. I'd like to stick to OEM and found another useful post where the headliner w/ sunroof is available from bmwpartsunlimited.com

In past posts, I've seen a variety of prices for the labor on a job like this, mostly due to the complexity around the sunroof.

Anyone w/ recommendations? Places to go? Places to not go?

TIA

My Cars
    1994 525I, 1993 850Ci
    I'm getting my headliner through ecstuning.com they have a lot of amazing factory replacement parts for all around the car. They also sell genuine BMW and aftermarket parts. Only problem I have with them is they don't have the sunroof. Any interior shop should be able to handle that.

As for an actual place near you I would suggest calling around.
    1983 Monte Carlo SS
    1984 Pontiac fiero SE
    1993 BMW 850CI
    1994 BMW 525I

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi
    The consensus seems to be that the BMW fabrics are no longer available, and I want to keep my car's sagging anthracite headliner original, due to the rarity of the car (RHD CSi, non-UK spec [1 of 7]).
    Purchasing a whole new BMW headliner assy will be too expensive, mainly due to shipping cost to this part of the world, and anyway I've heard that the original Anthracite headliners may be NLA.

So I've found a reputable shop here in Auckland and we have a plan:
    - remove headliner and sunroof liner, remove fabric sections
    - remove all old foam/residue from fabric sections
    - measure or template fabric sections for later reference
    - launder the fabric sections (warm wash, delicate cycle)
    - air dry the fabric and check for any shrinkage from laundering (test with sunroof section first)
    - apply new 3mm closed-cell foam to laundered fabric sections
    - install refurbished fabric sections on headliner and sunroof
    - install refurbished headliner with new clips, etc. as required.

This procedure will be quite labor-intensive, but doesn't require the purchase of new fabric and should also preclude the need to do the A- and C-pillars, sunroof switch panel, etc, which are in good condition.

Will let you know if this works, or not!
    Last edited by kiwiCSi; 11-09-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    Current:
    1994 E31 850CSi Sterlingsilber/Anthracite Buffalo

Previous:
    1987 E28 M5 Delphin
    1986 E23 M745iA Arctic Blue
    1986 E24 635CSi Polaris
    1976 E3 3.0 Si Arctic Blue

My Cars
    bmw 850i
    I think there is no way that it won't shrink after washing, even if it washed in cold water.

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Headliner Express is here in Orlando. They ship worldwide with their E31 materials and are very knowledgeable regarding the E31, and even have some E31 sunroof parts in stock. They are doing the headliner on the Alpina as we speak. Bill is the owner, and in the past two weeks just shipped out headliner material to two E31 owners. Great Guy - knows his stuff regarding the E31. And no, I don't get anything for this - he is just a great resource for E31 owners. Here are two links:

http://www.headlinerexpress.com/

http://www.headlinerexpress.com/head...e31-p-798.html
    Last edited by rogbmw; 11-10-2013 at 10:12 AM.

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
    Headliner Express is here in Orlando. They ship worldwide with their E31 materials and are very knowledgeable regarding the E31, and even have some E31 sunroof parts in stock. They are doing the headliner on the Alpina as we speak. Bill is the owner, and in the past two weeks just shipped out headliner material to two E31 owners. Great Guy - knows his stuff regarding the E31. And no, I don't get anything for this - he is just a great resource for E31 owners. Here are two links:

That's awesome that they are familiar with the E31, but that type of material is only "stock" for a 1991 or 1992 car. 93+ is a fuzzy velour - which I have never seen anyone redo aside from getting it new from BMW.

My Cars
    1973 2002 Tii, 1991 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post

Thank you for this post! My 91 has only one problem and it's the headliner.

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by duje View Post
    I think there is no way that it won't shrink after washing, even if it washed in cold water.
    On the contrary duje, the first sunroof section is washed and dried, and came out very clean (no adhesive residue remains) with ZERO shrinkage.
    I used a warm wash, delicate cycle, minimal detergent, no spin dry.

This now gives me confidence to proceed with the cleaning and laundering of the other sunroof liner and the main headliner itself.
    Current:

Previous:
    1987 E28 M5 Delphin
    1986 E24 635CSi Polaris

My Cars
    not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by stengesd View Post
    I'm in the N. Virginia area outside of D.C. and looking for recommendations on a reputable place to get my headliner replaced on my 8er. I'd like to stick to OEM and found another useful post where the headliner w/ sunroof is available from bmwpartsunlimited.com

In past posts, I've seen a variety of prices for the labor on a job like this, mostly due to the complexity around the sunroof.

Anyone w/ recommendations? Places to go? Places to not go?

TIA
    If you decide to go to a shop for this don't forget to circle back and give us your feedback. I know my 8 needs the headliner done and a couple others 8ers around will need work too.
    CB42366 - 1991 850i 6-speed. Brilliantrot & Black Nappa Leather
    CD00144 - 1994 850CSi. Hellrot & Black Nappa Leather

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Thanks Rog!

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiCSi View Post
    On the contrary duje, the first sunroof section is washed and dried, and came out very clean (no adhesive residue remains) with ZERO shrinkage.
    I used a warm wash, delicate cycle, minimal detergent, no spin dry.

This now gives me confidence to proceed with the cleaning and laundering of the other sunroof liner and the main headliner itself.
    Here are pics of the laundered sunroof fabric.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Current:

Previous:
    1987 E28 M5 Delphin
    1986 E24 635CSi Polaris

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Quote Originally Posted by olinjohnston1 View Post
    That's awesome that they are familiar with the E31, but that type of material is only "stock" for a 1991 or 1992 car. 93+ is a fuzzy velour - which I have never seen anyone redo aside from getting it new from BMW.
    I would suggest contacting them directly and asking about what they have.

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi
    For those interested, here is a link to the latest update on my headliner refurb project.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e31...-850csi-4.html

I've now got two other E31 owners interested in this reusable headliner fabric solution.
    Current:

Previous:
    1987 E28 M5 Delphin
    1986 E24 635CSi Polaris

My Cars
    1991 850i / 6
    The look and feel of Alcantara Ultra Suede fabric is very appealing, and I see that it is available in a multitude of colors from Headliner Express, but it doesn't come with a foam
    backing. Would someone comment on the use of this material. Does it require the 1/8" foam, or is it applied as is? Is it easy/difficult to work with? Thanks.

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi
    Current:

Previous:
    1987 E28 M5 Delphin
    1986 E24 635CSi Polaris

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Nice outcome. First I heard of some one reusing the original liner.

My Cars
    1997 840Ci
    Thanks for the updates and pictures Kiwi. Just noticed the rear of the roof sagging on mine. This is such a disappointment as I have always admired how nice the roof lining looked. Could you tell me was there any special technique required to remove the foam & glue from the lining material apart from the washing? I am also keen to retain the original material. As Alcantara is composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane, the washing should never be a problem as both these materials are fairly stable, so I'm keen to give it a go.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 850csi
    Wow kiwiCSI, your finished product looks great. I would have never thought it could be done with this result. my headliner needs to be redone badly so i'm in the market as well, however would much rather find someone to do it for me as i know my patience wears really thin with projects like this. Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy81 View Post
    ..Could you tell me was there any special technique required to remove the foam & glue from the lining material apart from the washing? I am also keen to retain the original material. As Alcantara is composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane, the washing should never be a problem as both these materials are fairly stable, so I'm keen to give it a go.
    The trim shop removed the bulk of the foam residue by scraping and brushing. It comes off pretty easily but you end up with a bit of a sticky mess, that goes into a plastic bag for the next process.
    I then removed the remaining foam/adhesive at home, again by scrubbing with a brush then wiping with a cloth and a final vigorous shaking out.
    Lay the fabric sections out on a large sheet of cardboard while scrubbing, and you can dispose of this afterwards.
    The washing machine will do the rest.
    Not sure about Alcantara material, but the 'Anthracite' coloured velour fabric on my CSi was stable and strong enough to withstand laundering without stretching or shrinking - warm wash was fine, with a normal amount of detergent.
    I didn't allow the final spin cycle to fully complete, just an initial spin of a minute or so, then removed the fabric and hung it to dry in the shade.
    I was amazed how clean the fabric came out - almost like new!
    However I don't know how lighter-coloured fabrics and/or different weave materials will perform using this process.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ryako1 View Post
    Wow kiwiCSI, your finished product looks great. I would have never thought it could be done with this result. my headliner needs to be redone badly so i'm in the market as well, however would much rather find someone to do it for me as i know my patience wears really thin with projects like this. Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks Ryako1
    I believe the headliner is a job you should give to an expert trim shop, although I took responsibility for laundering and drying the fabric sections myself, returning the fully cleaned product to the shop, who then applied the new foam and completed the installation to a very high standard.
    Finding a quality trim shop and forming a good relationship with them, are important to the success of a project like this.
    The result should speak for itself.
    Best of luck with yours!
    Current:

Previous:
    1987 E28 M5 Delphin
    1986 E24 635CSi Polaris

My Cars
    X5M E70 and E28 525i
    So I needed to do this too. Very easy to get headliner out and separate the (silvergrey) cloth from the backing. I then put the headliner cloth in the wash at 40c.
    However, the concerns about the shrinking are backwards... mine stretched significantly! Its about 1inch (3.5cm) too wide now, meaning the hole cutouts are far out of alignment.

I tried a 60c wash and it was pretty much the same, if not worse (stretched not shrunk like you would think). I've reverted to leaving it in a warm room all day in the hopes it contracts (when in the car the sagging disappeared when hot too, the material is highly heat reactive). Failing that Im going to have to get a shop replace the material with something aftermarket.

My Cars
    1997 840Ci
    I also had a poor result with the washing. Also found out it is Velour not Acantara. Anyway it stretched & has a moth eaten look with bits missing. This is the liner for the sunroof as a trial piece. I now have the Alcantara fabric as mentioned elsewhere, so this is my next project. It does not, however come with foam backing but it is probably thick enough to glue directly to the liner.

My Cars
    '92e31 '06e90 '12f25
    Quote Originally Posted by stengesd View Post
    I'm in the N. Virginia area outside of D.C. and looking for recommendations on a reputable place to get my headliner replaced on my 8er. <snipped> Anyone w/ recommendations? Places to go? Places to not go?
    Since this old thread has now been revivified, I too would be interested in good experiences with reputable auto upholstery shops in the DC-metro area.
    Is there anyone who has actually had their headliner replaced locally (DC) and would care to share a recommendation?
    Thanks
    Kimo --
    His: ............2012 (F25) X3, Sapphire Black Metallic
    Hers:...........2006 (E90) 330i, Sapphire Black Metallic
    Theirs:.........1992 (E31) 850i, Jet Black

My Cars
    X5M E70 and E28 525i
    Cant answer the DC-Metro question, but I have left my headliner board and A+C pillar covers into Absolute Upholstery in Wellington. They couldnt colour or even material match the original so had to get diff material (which is more similar to modern Euro cars, almost honeycomb effect) in a vaguely similar light grey (original was Light Silvergrey), hence doing the A and C pillar covers too. Ill do the sunroof liner myself as it looked hard to get out/on.

The washed original was effectly ruined, as well as getting horrible stretched (not shrunk) it also got that pinhole motheaten look and the pile started to get weak and wear off if rubbed hard.

My Cars
    1997 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsimis View Post
    Ill do the sunroof liner myself as it looked hard to get out/on.
    Easy to do & they will probably have to do so to recover the roof panel. http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...es_sunroof.php
    Last edited by sleepy81; 08-21-2015 at 07:20 AM.

My Cars
    '96 M3 coupe, '95 840ci
    Hello to anyone that is still involved with this thread. I would like to update you on an experiment I am currently running on my 1995 840Ci that may be of help to future headliner replacement/repairs.

I am running a test using 1.5mm (1/16") neoprene rubber as the backing material on my original headliner fabric that has separated from the vehicle. Neoprene is a synthetic rubber that is designed to be flexible, durable, resilient, with a high heat resistance and acoustic noise blocking.

I'm hoping to achieve several goals here:

1. The neoprene should create a flat, compressible surface to anchor the original headliner (or any other) fabric to, that will also hide all of the imperfections in the backing board.
    2. Since the neoprene can be purchased in 1.5mm (1/16") sheets, clearance of the sunroof panel should not be an issue. Also, the sheets are 50"w x 80"h, so there will not be any seams when attaching to headliner backing board.
    3. As an added bonus, the neoprene has great acoustic noise blocking, which will help with interior sound levels.

I will have the results of my test posted within a couple of weeks. If anyone has any comments or insight, please reply.

Best Regards,
    Sogoodtaya

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast