Thread: E46 LS Swap Headers that WORK!!!

My Cars
    99 323i?

E46 LS Swap Headers that WORK!!!

After hours of searching for a set of headers that might work on my E46 LS swap. I thought that maybe a LS swapped RX8 would be a tight fit like the E46. I contacted Hinson and asked if they could send me some more detailed photos of their headers installed on an RX8. They gladly sent me the photos I was looking for. My main concern was how close they would hug the engine and bellhousing to clear the control arms. After reading on here the fitment issues that the Vorshlag header were having and the crazy expensive price tag. .I finally took a risk and ordered a set of Hinson RX8 LS swap 1 7/8" headers. THEY FIT!!!! I had to cut and massage the underbody on the passenger side a little. The driver's side fit well, with the ABS taken out and steering shaft removed. It will be a little tricky but I believe I can make a steering shaft setup work with a hot rod type hiem joint setup. Here are a few photos.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Nice out of the box thinking. Excellent work.

- - - Updated - - -

What oil pan are you using?

My Cars
    99 323i?
    The Holley pan.

My Cars
    01 M3
    Well done Green Monster! how much are these headers?

Anothe rupdate to mine, I had to bend the metal pan that goes on the front of the M3 (structural) because it hit my headers and pushed my VBand back against the frame (I had to massage my frame so the VBand had clearance to begin with.

Another update in my thread shortly.

My Cars
    TurboVert, MCoupe, 335xi
    That last view makes it look nearly impossible to connect the steering shaft to the rack.

My Cars
    JuliustroliJD
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    That last view makes it look nearly impossible to connect the steering shaft to the rack.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. Still, great way to think outside the box. Props.

My Cars
    99 323i?
    I am waiting on my joints and steering shaft to show up. Then we will see if it will work. If anything I think I might have to mod the primary nearest the firewall. Still for under $950 shipped that is a lot cheaper than the alternative.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Do you have any pictures you can share of the underside. Especially what mods you had to do?

My Cars
    BMw M5 E39, 535i,
    Any updates were you able to make the steering to work? how low do the headers go under the car?

My Cars
    99 323i?
    So here is an update. I have sold the car and I am done with the project. The headers physically fit fine. But the steering shaft became a huge issue. I tried to use 3 u-joints to route around the primaries. But the u-joint angles were too extreme and would bind. The only other option was to modify the primaries to clear the steering. I wasn't going to spend hundreds of dollars just cut up a $950 set of headers. At that point I would be knocking on the price of the Vorshlag headers. I couldn't see spending over $1800 on a set of headers. That was more than I bought the car for, and more than what I got my LS drop-out for. If they were around $1250 a set I could justify spending that. So I decided to go a different route. I have always liked the 2nd gen LS400s. So that is what I went out and found. This baby will be getting the ls1 t-56 swap.