Thread: Short shifter ?

My Cars
    1998 2.8l z3 RED

Short shifter ?

Thinking of getting a short shifter, but wanted to know if there are any out there that are the preferred ones to install.

I am viewing two on fleabay from uuc that seem to be the same thing but $200 apart

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UUC-Short...item4d129b43a2

and

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UUC-Short...item4d036c7480

am I missing something, they look the same, any other good options out there?

Thanks Leni
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

My Cars
    1999 Z3 MC, 2000 540it
    Looks like one comes with the selector rod.
    It's important that the rod has the correct twist in it.
    Another forum member showed me that if you set the rod on a flat surface it should rock about 1-2 mm back and forth off the flat edges of the ends.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M roadster
    The UCC one is really good. I have it in my '99 M Roadster. Very solid part.

My Cars
    2000 MCoupe
    Rogue Engineering here. Nice, concise throws. Coupled with the redneck, homemade billiard ball shifter. Weehaw y'all.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, 97 318Ti
    I have had 2 different UUC Evo 3 in my past e36 M3 and I must say it is too notchy for my taste. This time I am thinking about trying the Rogue Engineering shifter.

http://www.rogueengineering.com/bmw/OCTSL.html

Sold95 M3 - Ground Control Track/School coilovers | Eibach Sway bars | Powerdyne supercharger | Dinan Exhaust | WAR Chip

My Cars
    89 750iL | 91 325iX
    I would personally go rouge engineering. Or bimmerworlds solid shifter

My Cars
    00 M Coupe
    I had a rogue on my old e36 and loved it..I'm planning on going with them when I get one for my coupe. Nothing against uuc just my preference

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    If you think you are going to go that route, maybe take a hacksaw to your stock shifter and just get a knob. You might save some money.

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry F. View Post
    If you think you are going to go that route, maybe take a hacksaw to your stock shifter and just get a knob. You might save some money. If you don't like it, there are plenty OEMs sitting around from those who have already done the mod.
    Terry
    Bingo. Not much to it, but fitment of the knob will be something to think about.
    Last edited by PbFut; 11-19-2013 at 09:30 PM.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    Bingo. Not much to it, but fitment of the knob will be something to think about.
    Set screws on the knob. Drill some small dimples on the shaft to accommodate the screws. So easy even I can do it, which means it's real easy.

T

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    1998 2.8l z3 RED
    Not a bad idea Terry, although hate to chop into original parts like that but in this case it might work well.

The oem shifter looks light duty, anyone know what it made of, alloy maybe? much elbow grease needed?

I buy a knob and see if i can work out a depth to cut it.

My Cars
    N/A
    Stay away from the UUC and get the Rogue instead. Couple that with the UUC selector rod with the twist if you want.

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady
    Im not sure what UUC and Rogue are making these days, but I'm not a fan of designs that add weight/momentum to the shifter. I understand it can aid in shift smoothness, but it also adds in the force. Not the route I'd want to know. I like to know if I'm having to put extra force into the shifter to get it in gear for some reason. Probably just me being paranoid, but after several installs at Ron Stygar's house (back in the day) you catch a little paranoia about short shifters.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    I have a UUC SSK I'm willing to part with.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry F. View Post
    Set screws on the knob. Drill some small dimples on the shaft to accommodate the screws. So easy even I can do it, which means it's real easy.

T
    True for aftermarket knobs but OEM use a different retention mechanism. So if you want the retain the lit OEM knob, you will need to buy one of the aftermarket levers. FYI the cup is a PITA to get to release until you realize there are retention taps on the cup that hold it into the arm. Took me an hour to figure out that little puzzle. Better vision would have helped.
    Or you just JB Weld the OEM knob on the cut down lever as it's never coming back.
    Last edited by PbFut; 11-20-2013 at 04:38 PM.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    1998 2.8l z3 RED
    Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    True for aftermarket knobs but OEM use a different retention mechanism. So if you want the retain the lit OEM knob, you will need to buy one of the aftermarket levers.
    Looking at the mod because the oem gear knob's little plastic retention have finally all broke bar 2, so the knob is done for. Which is why my attention has been given to the whole unit. Have a shiny momo knob on the way, soon as I get the guts to do the chop I'll post a pic or two.

My Cars
    1998 2.8l z3 RED
    Here's the update on the knob/short sifter matter.
    Here's a pic of the stock knob with it's broken retention that had me looking into a short shifter as well as replacing the knob to do it all at once.

But the knob I bought online to replace it and cut down the stock shifter fits down snug to where the shifter flanges out to a bigger size, so cutting the shifter would not give me any lower as the new MOMO knob would sit against the flange anyways!

So with this particular knob cutting the shifter down would not work, seems dependent on the knob you choose. Having said that, I love this MOMO knob! It's way heavier than stock and give better action shifting and looks good too.

It is shorter than oem shifter by 20mm so does feel shorter to shift. For now I am happy to have a locked down knob feels great to have something with no play in it like the broken stock one did, it's been broken since I bought the car but another tab fell off the other day leaving just sitting there, wriggling.

I'll stick with this for month or two and then see if I desire the short shifter still.

Thanks for the advice by all.
    Rogue Engineering shifter does sound the pic if I do take the plunge, shipping to the AU is always a killer tho.

My Cars
    Navionics

Smile I have one that i will sell

I just bought a 1999 Z3. I am old and shifting was too difficult so I removed it. Fortunately the original was in the trunk and with the knob. It looks like a Mona shifter or whatever they call them. The leather on the lower part of the knob is worn along with he top showing some wear. The rest is as new including the plastic ball assembly, still on it. Bushing is good and have the set screws for the knob. I live in Florida. flyhal@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by lennium View Post
    Thinking of gettinshort shifter. ifter,if there are any out there that are the preferred ones to install.

I am viewing two on fleabay from uuc that seem to be the same thing but $200 apart

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UUC-Short...item4d129b43a2

and

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UUC-Short...item4d036c7480

am I missing something, they look the same, any other good options out there?

Thanks Leni
    I just bought a 19999 Z3 and took out the shortshifter

I just bought my 1999 Z3 roadster and did not like the short shifter. Fortunatey